Obomanu Out for the season - Kearse promoted

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • Also sad about Obo.

I like the Kearse move. Good one-on-one matchup guy, can go up and take the ball.

That being said, I'd cut Braylon Edwards right now and grab Greg Salas ( http://www.google.com/search?q=greg+salas ) from the Pat's practice squad. I would cut Edwards and hope a killer slot guy can comPETE his way into the starting lineup after the bye week.

We desperately need depth at WR soon!
    Beeker
    NET Rookie

• I have noticed Lane as a gunner a few times in limited action.I can see him and Maxwell as the 2 gunners moving forward.I expect to see Kearse in the lineup this week.I have a feeling that Edwards will not be ready.Big worry to me is that Obo new all WR positions SE,Flanker and slot.I dont trust Tate with that role and Martin is not good enough and its Kearse first game action
    canzag
    NET Veteran

• Welcome SeahawkGeoff. Hope you enjoy yourself exchanging posts with fellow Seahawks fans and rivals that visit.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    Wilson will sign for $18M+ (3/4/2014)
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

• Hmmm. Sounds like Obo isn't happy about going on IR:

Ben Obomanu ‏@obo87
    Thks everyone for the bday wishes and prayers for my injury. It's not as bad as it seems. The seahawks just didn't wait 4 me to get healthy.

Ben Obomanu ‏@obo87
    Could've played w/cast, but... I'll be fine in a few weeks. I'll come bck like I always do. Hopefully with @ least an opptnty 2 contribute
    Hawkadeus
    NET Rookie

• It's possible that the Seahawks are using their 53rd roster spot for a tryout rotation just like they did with their 7th and 8th PS spots earlier in the year. Maybe Kearse gets some looks in real games for a couple weeks and then they try Tuinei, etc.

Whatever ends up happening, I'm glad that Kearse got his name called. He barely played in the preseason because of an injury, but when he did, he looked polished. If he can beat his drop problem from college, I could easily see him making it as an NFL WR. He's good at everything else. Further, Keith Price has really suffered this year in his absence. There are a lot of factors that go into it, but seeing Price roll outside and ALWAYS throw the ball away, I can't help but think that Kearse's savvy presence is being missed at UW.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• I say give Kearse a look. He's got to have more upside than Charly Martin.
    Hawkadeus
    NET Rookie

• kearly wrote:It's possible that the Seahawks are using their 53rd roster spot for a tryout rotation just like they did with their 7th and 8th PS spots earlier in the year. Maybe Kearse gets some looks in real games for a couple weeks and then they try Tuinei, etc.

Whatever ends up happening, I'm glad that Kearse got his name called. He barely played in the preseason because of an injury, but when he did, he looked polished. If he can beat his drop problem from college, I could easily see him making it as an NFL WR. He's good at everything else. Further, Keith Price has really suffered this year in his absence. There are a lot of factors that go into it, but seeing Price roll outside and ALWAYS throw the ball away, I can't help but think that Kearse's savvy presence is being missed at UW.

Interesting points about Kearse, as I don't know much about him.

Tuinei can't be signed as he's with a CFL team now.
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

• Bring back Deon Butler.

A little guys that is a burner, knows the system, and has good hands.

Butler>Kearse.
    LudwigsDrummer
    US Navy Air VP 56 `74-`78

• Interesting to see Jordan Shipley mentioned as getting a tryout with the Texans. I am blown away that he's not currently with a team. I was highly impressed with him in college and was just certain he'd be on an NFL roster for a long time. The guy just had "3rd down possession receiver for 12 seasons" written all over him. Not huge, but strong, great hands, good quickness (not straight line speed), but a guy who will go get the ball. I guess he really reminded me of a Paul Skansi/Bobby Engram type. I wouldn't be averse to taking a flyer on him for a couple of weeks if he is healthy. I can't imagine him not playing well unless he's just hurt or totally disinterested in playing in the NFL.

The one guy I'd love to have right now is the guy who gave up on football... Jeff Samardzjia (sp?). That kid was a darn good receiver at Notre Dame, and I thought he'd be a Randy Moss type talent in the NFL, without all of the headaches since Jeff seems to have his head screwed on straight. He made the right choice by playing baseball since he'll have a longer career, have less damage to his body, and will have a big fat pension from the MLB players union as long as he gets enough service time in. The guys who cut out on baseball and go back to college football are the ones who realize they aren't going to get their pension years in (See Weeden, Brandon).
    R.I.P. Dad. I miss you. You will never be forgotten
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

• Hawkadeus wrote:I say give Kearse a look. He's got to have more upside than Charly Martin.

i don't see why you say that, all i saw in the pre season was charlie martin and kearse making plays.. i'm a coug so i didn't see a lot of kearse in college, didn't see all the easy drops... but i did see good catches in pre season, and charlie marting, that little dude's got heart... i say give it a shot...
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

• Bummer about Obo, IMO he contributes more to the team than most people realize and is quite versatile. He has always performed at least adequately (and sometimes very well) when our starters have gone down and we needed him to fill in.

Kearse? I dunno, the dude is just sooo frustrating to watch. Almost Braylon Edwardsesque in his ability to make crazy freak circus catches one minute and then have a perfectly thrown ball bounce right off his hands the next minute. I hope he can fix it, seems like a focus issue to me, but he never fixed it in college.

I'd like to see the team give a look to both Jordan Shipley and Greg Salas. I was pretty high on both of these guys coming out of college, especially Salas.

HansGruber wrote: We lost both games the last two weeks (SF & DET) because of dropped passes.

We lost to SF because of dropped passes, absolutely.

We lost to Detroit because our D had a pretty bad day and our normally very bad 3rd down defense was downright horrible.
    Football Outsiders wrote:The Seahawks have a third-and-long defensive DVOA of -102.1%. Seriously, when Seattle knows you have to pass, you are completely terribly, violently screwed.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

• Reading Obo's tweets the other day, I felt for him with the Hawks not waiting a couple weeks to get better. But given the fact that our only healthy wr's this week are Rice, Tate, Martin, and Kearse, YIKES! I understand now.
    Hawkadeus
    NET Rookie

• Well Kearse here's your golden opportunity knocking...Just remember it's not preseason anymore.

“There’s no reason, with Mr. Allen and the fan base here and the stadium, that this can’t be a stable, long-term winning organization.” - John Schneider
    Bakergirl
    NET Veteran

• Hawkadeus wrote:Reading Obo's tweets the other day, I felt for him with the Hawks not waiting a couple weeks to get better. But given the fact that our only healthy wr's this week are Rice, Tate, Martin, and Kearse, YIKES! I understand now.

Based on what Obo has contributed this year, I'd say that his chances of making the team next year are slim.
    Bigpumpkin
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• Hawkadeus wrote:Reading Obo's tweets the other day, I felt for him with the Hawks not waiting a couple weeks to get better. But given the fact that our only healthy wr's this week are Rice, Tate, Martin, and Kearse, YIKES! I understand now.

That's the business. It's nothing personal.
    Give me some damn skittles...
    Basis4day
    NET Veteran

• If Pete's pet, the golden child, can somehow become cognizant of the need to block for teamates consistantly, there is plenty of additional yardage built into the existing pass schemes. The golden child has been pulled off the field of play for failure to block. Kearse and others should benefit from better blocking support than what Obomanu experienced.

Teamates blocking for each other is a key theme. It's why Deon Butler is no longer with us and why even the golden child is so closely supervised this year.

This year, reliable blocking is mandatory. It is no longer an option.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

• drdiags wrote:Welcome SeahawkGeoff. Hope you enjoy yourself exchanging posts with fellow Seahawks fans and rivals that visit.

Thanks for the warm welcome. Been reading through the posts and getting a lot of great insight.

Chapow wrote:
    I'd like to see the team give a look to both Jordan Shipley and Greg Salas. I was pretty high on both of these guys coming out of college, especially Salas.

Now this is something I like to see. I wonder why Salas didn't catch on with the Rams. If memory serves me correct, I think he had some really bad drops early on last year, but then again St. Louis had a lot of that last year. Still Salas or Shipley could be great 3rd down relief value type receivers.
    SeahawkGeoff
    NET Practice Squad

• Jville wrote:If Pete's pet, the golden child, can somehow become cognizant of the need to block for teamates consistantly, there is plenty of additional yardage built into the existing pass schemes. The golden child has been pulled off the field of play for failure to block. Kearse and others should benefit from better blocking support than what Obomanu experienced.

Teamates blocking for each other is a key theme. It's why Deon Butler is no longer with us and why even the golden child is so closely supervised this year.

If you want a blocking WR then Lavasier Tuinei is your man. Blocking is more important then catching and scoring TD's for Oregon wide receivers.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• JSeahawks wrote:
    Jville wrote:If Pete's pet, the golden child, can somehow become cognizant of the need to block for teamates consistantly, there is plenty of additional yardage built into the existing pass schemes. The golden child has been pulled off the field of play for failure to block. Kearse and others should benefit from better blocking support than what Obomanu experienced.

If you want a blocking WR then Lavasier Tuinei is your man. Blocking is more important then catching and scoring TD's for Oregon wide receivers.

I'm probably a typical fan. I want it all. LOL
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

• It's unfortunate for Obo that in the last round of negotiations that the NFL Players didn't get much larger rosters and a system that matches baseball and basketball for injury situations. I believe in the last round baseball was able to get a 5 day DL designation put in, and they can use it retroactively on a guy who happens to heal up quickly (which is especially good for a starting pitcher who is up in the rotation). I just think footballs rules on injuries have always been way too strict as far as the guy is out for the entire season, or he is cut. It's beneficial to the owners financially, but as far as team building goes, it would make more sense to be able to keep guys around for a bit and be able to use different designations. This really does screw Obo as far as playing this year goes (and thus his chances of making a living next season), but those are the rules. They don't have the option to put him on the 15 day DL, or to keep him on the roster because they have 60 roster spots and can just wait it out for him to get healthy.

Face it... it's an injury filled sport. Just turn the practice squad spots into normal roster spots and keep the gameday rosters at the same size. That way you can have 60+ guys on the roster. I'd say 63 is about right and makes sense. It will lead to less injuries if you increase gameday rosters by even a couple of players. Let's see the owners and commissioner walk the walk on that one. Would they be admitting that an 18 game schedule is stupid and that guys aren't suffering traumatic brain injuries if they let teams suit up way more players on Sunday for additional rotations and giving guys breathers? Too many times I've seen a guy have to play hurt because a team is OUT of players at a particular position on gameday. That doesn't happen in baseball because they have 25 guys on the roster (+ - depending on the time of year).
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

• Someone should tweat Obo the fact the Hawks have waited years for him to get better. If he wants to bitch, he should bitch at past coaches for not telling him he was a CB.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

• Scottemojo wrote:I am with Greg on this one, special teams play is one of those things where tackles don't mean much. I have seen Obo force the punt/kick returner to react too many times to think he won't be missed on special teams.

With Harvin returning kicks, Obo might be missed rather severely. It is not a small thing at all. Especially since Robinson, also a special teamer, might be missing as well.

Lane looked pretty good last week.
    jlwaters1
    NET Veteran

• HawkWow wrote:Someone should tweat Obo the fact the Hawks have waited years for him to get better. If he wants to bitch, he should bitch at past coaches for not telling him he was a CB.

Not like we were expecting Larry Fitz when we drafted him in the 7th round. He's already outperformed expectations by not being cut.
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

• hawksfan515 wrote:
    HawkWow wrote:Someone should tweat Obo the fact the Hawks have waited years for him to get better. If he wants to bitch, he should bitch at past coaches for not telling him he was a CB.

Not like we were expecting Larry Fitz when we drafted him in the 7th round. He's already outperformed expectations by not being cut.

That pretty much sums up the situation, don't it? This is a guy that is likely sweating bullets every time it's tme to get down to 53...but he has the audacity to publicly suggest the Hawks quit on him? WTF? Gimme' a break, Obo. Good luck in Canada.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

• Goodness -- lots of negative vibes towards Obo. The dude gave everything he had to give, and is pissed he can't keep playing. Who can blame him? He's supposed to be happy he's done for the year?

Show the guy some respect.
    * NET Staff *

• Yeah, how anyone can find fault in Obo is beyond me. He's what NFL #5's are about; solid on special teams, provide average WR ability, and not make you sign TO if injuries hit.

I never got freaked out when/if Obo was put into duty or pushed into starting. When the ball was thrown his way, he caught it. Yeah, he fell down immediately after the catch, but he caught it. The definition of servicable.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• pehawk wrote:Yeah, how anyone can find fault in Obo is beyond me. He's what NFL #5's are about; solid on special teams, provide average WR ability, and not make you sign TO if injuries hit.

I never got freaked out when/if Obo was put into duty or pushed into starting. When the ball was thrown his way, he caught it. Yeah, he fell down immediately after the catch, but he caught it. The definition of servicable.

The only time he didn't catch the ball well was the game at Arizona. Even with that though, he was open quite a lot. He could've had the game winner too, because T-Jack threw it to him on 3rd down in overtime, and he was in field goal range and he dropped it......
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

• He had some good games in 2010. New Orleans sticks out.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• Hawkstorian wrote:Goodness -- lots of negative vibes towards Obo. The dude gave everything he had to give, and is pissed he can't keep playing. Who can blame him? He's supposed to be happy he's done for the year?

Pretty pathetic if you ask me. And shines a giant spotlight on the type of fans that don't exactly understand the finer nuances of the game. "Score TD's or get the hell out!"

Obomanu has been a great role player for this team over the years. If you don't understand that, it says more about you than anything.
    Hawkadeus
    NET Rookie

• How dare Ben gets disappointed that he can't go out and earn his money on the field. HOW DARE HE????

Come on guys. He is a competitor. What would you have said if he said, "pheewwwww, glad that season is over and now I get to sit home and get paid!"

He can't win with many of you. He's been one of our most solid all around players for several years. I think he deserves some respect and understanding for being frustrated that he can't be out there playing hard for OUR team. That's what he loves. I bet as a competitor it felt like a big fat kick in the junk to be told, "sorry, we're going with somebody else." If he isn't mad then I don't want him on my team. I love Obo's attitude and he's been a darn good player for what he was predicted to do by the "draft experts". He has stuck on a team for years and been one of our most important players on special teams and as a wide receiver always being there to pick up where somebody else left off when they were hurt. Now he's hurt and the team just basically shuts him down and calls it a year. That'd frustrate the heck out of me if I were Ben.
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

• JSeahawks wrote:
    Jville wrote:If Pete's pet, the golden child, can somehow become cognizant of the need to block for teamates consistantly, there is plenty of additional yardage built into the existing pass schemes. The golden child has been pulled off the field of play for failure to block. Kearse and others should benefit from better blocking support than what Obomanu experienced.

If that's the case then activate him immediately! One of the main reasons we lost in Detroit is that their receivers can block (it's my opinion they were taught by Burleson) and ours either can't or won't. If you re watch that game you will see that a lot of the first downs they got were due to excellent blocking. Especially the one that got them off the goal line. But then again, there should have been 2 DBs there to cover those guys and not just Sherman.

Our guys on the other hand (Achootate!) couldn't hold a block for half a second.
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

• Somebody mentioned Shipley...

Bengals.com Bio

"Shipley was slated for 2011 as offense’s primary slot receiver, but suffered season-ending knee injury in Game 2, Sept. 18 at Denver" ...

"his rookie season in 2010, when he recorded 52 catches, 600 receiving yards and three TDs ... Led AFC rookies in ’10 in receiving yards and tied for AFC rookie lead in receptions."

Then was with the Bucs...

"Jordan Shipley's muffed punt return against the Dallas Cowboys has cost him. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers announced on Tuesday that they have waived Shipley"

http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/sports/football/buccaneers/buccaneers-release-jordan-shipley-sign-roscoe-parrish#ixzz2AxD5Palb

I would love to have him here because he is a great possession receiver and imho, would be way better than Kearse or Martin, especially in the long run. His knee is probably fine and iirc he didn't have too many drops.
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

• Found some interesting pre and post draft info on Kearse:

The Good:

"03/08/2012 - Washington Pro Day: Kearse enjoyed a strong workout, as well, clocking in much faster today (4.44) than he did at the Combine (4.58) and catching every pass that I saw touch his hands. He and Locker didn't connect on a couple of deeper throws, including on a post-corner in which NFL personnel were overhead chiding Kearse for not getting his head around quickly enough to locate the ball. - Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com "

Release: Has the straight-line speed to challenge cornerbacks deep so is often met with zone or man-off looks

The Bad:

Hands: Flashes the ability to be a big-time receiver, but struggles with drops. Can extend and pluck outside of his frame, demonstrating the ability to make the highlight reel reception, but too often attempts to make a move on the defender before adequately securing the football, allowing passes into his chest and others than simply slip through his hands. Even worse, some of his drops came at critical moment"

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1631987
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

kearse is wearing #11
    Richard Sherman to Skip Bayless: "I'm tired of your ignorant pollution!"

Follow me on twitter: @seahawks_fan12
    SeahawksFanForever
    NET Veteran

• I can't be bothered to read through all for pages, but other than the fact that I like Obomanu as a person, I think the impact of this loss will be just about zero. Maybe a little on ST.
    MysterMatt
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• Hawkadeus wrote:
    Hawkstorian wrote:Goodness -- lots of negative vibes towards Obo. The dude gave everything he had to give, and is pissed he can't keep playing. Who can blame him? He's supposed to be happy he's done for the year?

Pretty pathetic if you ask me. And shines a giant spotlight on the type of fans that don't exactly understand the finer nuances of the game. "Score TD's or get the hell out!"

Obomanu has been a great role player for this team over the years. If you don't understand that, it says more about you than anything.

Precisely. Every NFL team has room for a guy like Obomanu, who contributes in multiple capacities. No, he's never been a breakout star WR, but we didn't draft him to be that kind of player.

Now, all that said, it's not surprising to me that the Hawks decided to IR him and promote Kearse. Obomanu just turned 29, and his time in the league means his minimum salary is pretty significant. The team knows it will have to move on from Obomanu after next season at the latest, and they need to see who can fill his role as a versatile depth WR and key special teams player.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

• Hawkstorian wrote:Goodness -- lots of negative vibes towards Obo. The dude gave everything he had to give, and is pissed he can't keep playing. Who can blame him? He's supposed to be happy he's done for the year?

This x infinity
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

• Who knows? Maybe Kearse can be the Damon Huard of UDub WR's? A flawed, yet productive collegiate athlete who finally "gets it" in the pros.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• HawkWow wrote:
    hawksfan515 wrote:
    HawkWow wrote:Someone should tweat Obo the fact the Hawks have waited years for him to get better. If he wants to bitch, he should bitch at past coaches for not telling him he was a CB.

That pretty much sums up the situation, don't it? This is a guy that is likely sweating bullets every time it's tme to get down to 53...but he has the audacity to publicly suggest the Hawks quit on him? WTF? Gimme' a break, Obo. Good luck in Canada.

Oh brutha! I can't believe what I'm reading here. If letting the fans know that he wanted to gut it out rather than sit in the rehab room is audacious, I don't know what to do other than shake my head. Year after year the hawks have kept this guy for a reason, so he oviously has something to contribute.
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

• pehawk wrote:Who knows? Maybe Kearse can be the Damon Huard of UDub WR's? A flawed, yet productive collegiate athlete who finally "gets it" in the pros.

That's how I feel. Kearse obviously has upside beyond what UW fans saw. Otherwise he wouldn't have made an NFL practice squad (which I admit, I was surprised by), stuck this long, and been the team's first choice to fill in for Obo. You hear teammates and coaches talk up his play from practice. And guys like Sidney Rice saying he might have the best hands in the unit. Who knows? Maybe things click for him. I certainly feel it's worth a look. I haven't been impressed by what I've seen from Charly Martin.
    Hawkadeus
    NET Rookie

• A good sign is a lot of players went out of their ways to congratulate and praise Kearse upon being promoted. That bodes well for how the locker room views him as a player and contributor
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

• -The Glove- wrote:A good sign is a lot of players went out of their ways to congratulate and praise Kearse upon being promoted. That bodes well for how the locker room views him as a player and contributor

Indeed. I'll reserve judgment, as I've never been a college FB afficionado anyway.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter at @17power
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    -The Glove- wrote:A good sign is a lot of players went out of their ways to congratulate and praise Kearse upon being promoted. That bodes well for how the locker room views him as a player and contributor

Indeed. I'll reserve judgment, as I've never been a college FB afficionado anyway.

Neither am I. But I sure am hoping and praying he can be a solid contributor
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:21 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information