Keys to the game

gubernaculum

Reaction score
After a mini NFL rewind marathon, here are a few thoughts....

For the most part, the legion of boom locks it down on the outside, and protects against the deeper routes (aside from a few mental lapses). Our gaping weakness is that our linebackers are having tremendous issues in space. This is particularly evident on middle screens, delayed releases by the back out of the backfield, and shallow crossing routes. At home, it seems that we are able to generate more pressure, which makes these plays more difficult to hit. On the road, we can't seem to get home with our front 4, exposing this big underneath weakness. In my opinion, the game is going to come down to pressure on Ponder. In order to stop AP, we are going to have to committ 7 or 8 in the box. This is going to put more pressure on our linebackers with play action. To me, this is going to be a really close game, predicated on pass rush. On the offense, getting Baldwin back would be an enormous boost for us!! (crossing fingers). I'm also looking forward to seeing Moffitt back. McQuistan is a reasonable backup, but he doesn't seem to dominate as much as Moffitt did.

Can't wait until Sunday!

suppaball

Reaction score
I agree our LBer's are getting to deep in there zones. This can get fixed, they are young and very talented. When this D comes together as a whole it is going to be a nightmare for opposing Offenses.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
I think you're dead on. Did you see Brocks analysis of why we got burned against Detroit? He really did a good job of showing it's not the schemes, it's the inexperience of Wagner and KJ. Of course, if they went Man in those critical situations instead of zone, Wright and KJ wouldn't have as much problem knowing what to do. However, then you get exposed to mismatches so I guess that's Bevell's call. Afterall, the only way KJ and Wright are going to learn is by experience so you can't baby them and not go zone just because they're making mistakes.

Don't know how long it will take them to learn and get better or if they even can. We'll all have to wait and see. But the 12th man gives our front four that extra half step and with the added pressure it forces a quicker play which makes the LBer's jobs easier.