More Russell Wilson Love From Cold Hard Football Facts

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • Good read.

[quote]We don't do feel-good stories here at the Cold, Hard Football Facts.

We serve hard facts to men who want to get drunk on the truth.

And the reality is that the biggest individual story in football is going largely unheralded, at least relative to the hype that surrounds Luck and that overwhelmed Robert Griffin III early in the season.

The biggest story in football is that a charismatic but under-sized 5-foot, 11-inch, 205-pound, third-round draft pick who makes chump change by NFL standards (about $750,000 this year) is in the midst of perhaps the greatest streak of rookie performances in NFL history.

That player is Russel Wilson, QB for the Seattle Seahawks.

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/co ... far/19228/

Edited by radish
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

• swooooon.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

• That's a winning performance in any era. And since 2010 players with a passer rating of 130.0 or better are 78-2.

Wilson now owns three of the four highest-rated performances by a rookie QB this season and four of the top six – and he did it Sunday against one of the best pass defenses in football.

Ya, I like those sentences.

And the statement about watching ESPN rings very true.

And this is awesome:

Here are the top 10 rookie performances of 2012:

1. Griffin III (at NO): 19 of 26, 320 yards, 2 TD, 0 INT, 139.9 rating

2. Wilson (vs. NE): 16 of 27, 293 yards, 3 TD, 0 INT, 133.7 rating

3. Wilson (vs. NYJ): 12 of 19, 188 yards, 3 TD, 0 INT, 131.0 rating

4. Wilson (vs. MIN): 16 of 24, 173 yards, 3 TD, 0 INT, 127.3 rating

5. Weeden (at CIN): 26 of 37, 322 yards, 2 TD, 0 INT, 114.9 rating

6. Wilson (vs. DAL): 15 of 20, 151 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT, 112.7 rating
    Last edited by Jazzhawk on Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *

• great article
    Image Image
    ImageImage
    djTOY2000
    Eli Positioner Extraordinaire

• Griffin's game was against the 32nd rated defense...
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

• I very, very rarely post on Facebook, but that I had to share.

Awesome seeing our rookie QB getting the recognition he deserves.
    "If the opportunity presents itself, we're going to come get you. You’re part of the family. You're part of us. You helped us start this thing." - John Schneider before releasing Michael Robinson
    Veilside
    NET Veteran

• even if this was as good as Rdub would ever be in his career I would be SPRUNG!
    But I don't think there is really anyone that thinks he has reached his
    'ceiling'... so I say to all of my fellow Hawks fans... WOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!
    What's Next? What's Next? What's N-X-E-T...?"
    hgwellz12
    NET Veteran

• He's putting quite a lot of stock in passer rating....

I'm not sure he watched the Jets game though. Russell was money in the 2nd, but his first.... not so much. And you never can really have a good performance when you fumble and it gets returned for a TD or you get a pick 6....
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

• hawksfan515 wrote:And you never can really have a good performance when you fumble and it gets returned for a TD or you get a pick 6....

Actually, I think that's exactly what happened.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

• Zebulon Dak wrote:
    hawksfan515 wrote:And you never can really have a good performance when you fumble and it gets returned for a TD or you get a pick 6....

Actually, I think that's exactly what happened.

Exactly. Do you know what happened to RW after that fumble? Not a damn thing. He brushed himself off and then destroyed the Jets with efficient passing and smart scrambling.

The fact that a rookie QB can go "meh, $hit happens" and then go back out like it was nothing is badass.
    Last edited by SacHawk2.0 on Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

• hawksfan515 wrote:He's putting quite a lot of stock in passer rating....

I'm not sure he watched the Jets game though. Russell was money in the 2nd, but his first.... not so much. And you never can really have a good performance when you fumble and it gets returned for a TD or you get a pick 6....

In none of the 4 games listed above did he have a pick 6. Infact he has just 1 of those and that was against Carolina. So far he's had 2 TD's directly as a result of his play. How many did T-Jack have last year? I recall a sack fumble for a TD against the Bears last year. Did TJ have any Pick-6 thrown last year? Can't recall.

But in any case, all QB's throw picks and fumble the ball. I'm not going to kill the guy for his uncharacteristic antsyness in the pocket. There was several times I was shouting for him to throw it away. But I have significantly more confidence in RW than I did for TJ last year and Hasslebeck the year before.
    jlwaters1
    NET Veteran

• Veilside wrote:I very, very rarely post on Facebook, but that I had to share.

Awesome seeing our rookie QB getting the recognition he deserves.

I just did the same thing
    Image Image
    ImageImage
    djTOY2000
    Eli Positioner Extraordinaire

• Great read, glad to see some recognition. Can't wait to see how this guy and the rest of the season progresses.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

• E$PN is a flippin joke.
    SNDavidson
    NET Veteran

• Terrific article. Now I'd just like to see him attempting 25-30 passes a game. Hopefully over this last 6 weeks we A) give Russell more throws and B) give Turbin more touches. I love Lynch, but we need to save him and pounding him 27 times is too much. They should keep him at 20 and get Turbin 5-7 carries and Washington needs 3-5 carries as well. I though he brought a different dimension with his slashing style.
    jlwaters1
    NET Veteran

• Zebulon Dak wrote:swooooon.

+1

/falls next to Zeb
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• Greatest of all time, sorry Portis, Russ took your spot.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Excellent article.

Zeb, what is that pink thing that dolphin is sucking on? Bubble gum? Blow pop? Pink Cigar?
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

• More proof that DangeRuss is the best, from something I just read that pertains to RGIII"s "great Quarterback Rating."

"Before Sunday's game, the Falcons team Lofton left was the only undefeated team in the league and the Saints defense for which he was starting was ranked worst in the NFL and challenging for potentially ranking as the poorest in league history."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8626783/atlanta-falcons-address-new-orleans-saints-claim-source
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

• jlwaters1 wrote:Terrific article. Now I'd just like to see him attempting 25-30 passes a game...

I wouldn't like to see that at all.

PC wants ground and pound, and that's what we'll see as long as the Seahawks are leading. If he's throwing that many passes it probably means the Seahawks are behind and trying to come back.

I'll take 20 passes/game with lots of W's. :D
    renofox
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• renofox wrote:
    jlwaters1 wrote:Terrific article. Now I'd just like to see him attempting 25-30 passes a game...

I wouldn't like to see that at all.

PC wants ground and pound, and that's what we'll see as long as the Seahawks are leading. If he's throwing that many passes it probably means the Seahawks are behind and trying to come back.

I'll take 20 passes/game with lots of W's. :D

No it doesn't. He's averaging 25 passes through 10 games. If we sustain more drives he'll easily throw 25+ passes and will most likely have around 225 yards. IN all of our games there have 3-4 drives where we've done absolutely nothing. If we can develop more consistency his attempts and yards go up.
    jlwaters1
    NET Veteran

• As we face defenses that we can exploit they will open his game up more hopefully
    dunceface
    NET Veteran

You're looking at it completely the wrong way.
    This is exactly what made this such a great game from RW.
    It's hard enough for any QB to do what he did but especially amazing for a rookie to do it.
    To do a little too much, to try a little to hard and not do the smart thing and give up the ball for 6 points by fumbling, letting the team tie it up. Not letting that get to him and coming back and doing what he did to win this game.

If anything this was one of my favorite performances of the year from him simply because he didn't let that get him down and he remained focused and fixed his issues in the game, not after the game, not during the bye week, IN the game.

You should be proud, as should we all.
    "Know thy self, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories." - Sun Tzu
    BigMeach
    NET Starter

• ESPN is a joke but their anchors arent. I follow a few of them and ive seen several of them talking about the Seahawks on Twitter. Sure its not on the actual channels (blame the head honchos seeking nothing but viewers and ratings) but who gives a flying *BEEP*. We're the 12th man We have ourselves and our Seattle Seahawks.
    tubbs51
    NET Starter

• ivotuk wrote:More proof that DangeRuss is the best, from something I just read that pertains to RGIII"s "great Quarterback Rating."

"Before Sunday's game, the Falcons team Lofton left was the only undefeated team in the league and the Saints defense for which he was starting was ranked worst in the NFL and challenging for potentially ranking as the poorest in league history."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8626783/atlanta-falcons-address-new-orleans-saints-claim-source

At the risk of spinning background 'for' my guy and 'against' the other guy, there's even more context for Griffin's NO game. I live in DC and followed him every step of the way. He had a very mediocre preseason, and they revealed absolutely nothing on offense. Then they play that 'flat' NO team (who also has a horrific defense) and unveil the sprint option Baylor offense, and NO had no answer. In fact, 88 of those yards came on a nicely designed/executed or poorly defended crossing pattern that Pierre Garcon had mostly through YAC.

While Wilson's season has trended up and more playbook opened to him, Griffin's season has been moving the other way. In fact, local radio has been saying that if Shanahan really has given up on the season, then let Griffin run a conventional offense for the experience and for his health.

For all the hype, Griffin has only thrown for 8 TDs and is simply not making the same kind of throws that Wilson is. Now that could all change coming off their bye and playing PHI this weekend, but as of now...
    Jac
    NET Veteran

boooooooooo!!!!! every QB in the history of the game will have those ... called a good defensive play...
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

• If Wilson breaks Manning's rookie TD record and gets Seattle to the playoffs, you can bet the OROTY voters are going to notice. The kid is special.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• Sarlacc83 wrote:If Wilson breaks Manning's rookie TD record and gets Seattle to the playoffs, you can bet the OROTY voters are going to notice. The kid is special.

What Wilson's gotta do in my mind is break Mannings TD record, and then lead Seattle deep in the playoffs, deep as or deeper than any QB before. To the championship game or the SB! Then we will get an extreme amount of hype, guaranteed.
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

• Regarding #3, is Russ being credited with Golden's TD pass? Everything else looks accurate, unless subtracting a TD pulls down his rating.

Here are the top 10 rookie performances of 2012:

1. Griffin III (at NO): 19 of 26, 320 yards, 2 TD, 0 INT, 139.9 rating

2. Wilson (vs. NE): 16 of 27, 293 yards, 3 TD, 0 INT, 133.7 rating

3. Wilson (vs. NYJ): 12 of 19, 188 yards, 3 TD, 0 INT, 131.0 rating

4. Wilson (vs. MIN): 16 of 24, 173 yards, 3 TD, 0 INT, 127.3 rating

5. Weeden (at CIN): 26 of 37, 322 yards, 2 TD, 0 INT, 114.9 rating

6. Wilson (vs. DAL): 15 of 20, 151 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT, 112.7 rating
    RampagingMice
    NET Rookie

• you are correct sir.. one to G Tate, one to rice , marshawn scored one on the ground, and G tate threw to rice... recount????
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

• Jac wrote:
    ivotuk wrote:More proof that DangeRuss is the best, from something I just read that pertains to RGIII"s "great Quarterback Rating."

At the risk of spinning background 'for' my guy and 'against' the other guy, there's even more context for Griffin's NO game. I live in DC and followed him every step of the way. He had a very mediocre preseason, and they revealed absolutely nothing on offense. Then they play that 'flat' NO team (who also has a horrific defense) and unveil the sprint option Baylor offense, and NO had no answer. In fact, 88 of those yards came on a nicely designed/executed or poorly defended crossing pattern that Pierre Garcon had mostly through YAC.

While Wilson's season has trended up and more playbook opened to him, Griffin's season has been moving the other way. In fact, local radio has been saying that if Shanahan really has given up on the season, then let Griffin run a conventional offense for the experience and for his health.

For all the hype, Griffin has only thrown for 8 TDs and is simply not making the same kind of throws that Wilson is. Now that could all change coming off their bye and playing PHI this weekend, but as of now...

And that's the thing all the fantasy football stat dorks forget about when discussing this rookie QB class; the whole point of offense is to score touchdowns and win games. For all of his passing yards and rushing yards, Bob is falling very far behind in those two most important categories. Yeah Bob's putting up some pretty big yards but that's because he's usually losing and slinging the rock down the field trying to play catch up.

I actually really like Bobby Griffen and wish him all the best as a pro, but to claim he's far and away the best of the bunch based solely on his yardage is quite a misnomer. He very well just might be the best, but it isn't as clear cut as most mediots want to make it out to be because he doesn't score touchdowns and he doesn't win games.
    Radish, check your PMs. Man upstairs has an invite for a tail gate up in heaven with your name on it.
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:31 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information