Mel Kiper still doesn't wanna admit he's wrong

hawksfan515

Reaction score
Our man Eric Williams had Kiper re-evaluate his thoughts as the Hawks stand 6-4. Kiper summed it up by saying it has been “a little better than I thought it would be.” Here’s his transcript of the Kiper interview:

Read more here: http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks ... rylink=cpy

Umm, you mean, it's been WAY BETTER than you thought it would be. You graded our draft class not as below average, not as bad, but as the WORST in the NFL, and now we look to have the best draft class based on early returns, which are VERY promising.

Ugh.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Guy is absolutely clueless. I've decided that from now on, I WANT HIM to say our draft was horrible. He's not even man enough to admit he was completely wrong. I love how he gets all butt hurt when a team doesn't pick who HE thinks they should, only to find that player, or players turning out to be killer picks. Screw him and all the "experts."

And of course, this is the guy who was all gushing over Aaron Curry :th2thumbs:

hawks02

Reaction score
Mel Kiper is a DB. . . . . . . . . .and not like a safety or a corner.

blue 22

Reaction score
I think mel's a good guy but he just seems like one of those guys you work with that is full of beans and frequently says dumb things and you just end up ignoring him after awhile. got a few of those where I work at....

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Hey Mel, the 80's called. They want their hair-do, suits and opinions back.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
If he admits he's wrong, he's also admitting that he's awful at his job, and the fact that he then gets to keep said job presupposes that the job and his entire role in our culture is actually pointless (which they are). So don't expect him to change his tune any time soon, and don't let it upset you.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Who cares what Kiper thinks? He doesn't work for us, so ultimately his opinion is worth jack-diddly-squat. He knows in his heart that his opinions are worthless; do we really need him to admit it to a national audience to make ourselves feel better about the awesomeness that's unfolding right here and now?

seahawks08

Reaction score
Yes, I was wondering too, why is he being so stubborn on accepting he is wrong and learn from it. Draft choices should also be measured on the team they fit in, you cant take a high pick and put it in a team where the philosophy or the way the team build up does not suit the pick. Thats my opinion and thats why Seahawks drafted players based on how well would they fit into the system and the philosophy.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Kiper is like your crazy uncle that sits in the corner of the living room on Thanksgiving yelling at the football games on TV, getting all the players names wrong and waxing poetic about The good ol days of the NFL.......out of his mind.......and out of touch.

Why ESPN keeps letting his old delusional ass on TV is beyond me. There are 100's of better draft analysts out there now a days, one named Rob Rang in our own back yard.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Now, ultimately down the road, it’s going to be Russell Wilson. Is he a quarterback that keeps progressing and ultimately becomes a top-10, top-12 quarterback? If he does, then it’s a phenomenal draft to get him in the third round. That’s ultimately going to determine it.

Um Mel? :roll:

1 Peyton Manning, QB DEN 108.0
2 Aaron Rodgers, QB GB 107.4
3 Alex Smith, QB SF 104.1
4 Matt Ryan, QB ATL 102.6
5 Tom Brady, QB NE 100.1
6 Ben Roethlisberger, QB PIT 100.0
7 Josh Freeman, QB TB 98.2
8 Drew Brees, QB NO 97.3
9 Robert Griffin III, QB WSH 93.9
10 Matt Schaub, QB HOU 91.7
11 Andy Dalton, QB CIN 91.1
12 Russell Wilson, QB SEA 90.5

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
The problem with Kiper and other draft gurus is you can never prove them absolutely wrong when they say that a club reached and took a certain player earlier than they should have. That's basically what he is now claiming with Irvin, Wagner and Wilson.

In reality, the Hawks didn't take them too early. Kiper was wrong but proving it is another thing.

509hawk

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":1yqj5xtt said:
Now, ultimately down the road, it’s going to be Russell Wilson. Is he a quarterback that keeps progressing and ultimately becomes a top-10, top-12 quarterback? If he does, then it’s a phenomenal draft to get him in the third round. That’s ultimately going to determine it.

Um Mel? :roll:

1 Peyton Manning, QB DEN 108.0
2 Aaron Rodgers, QB GB 107.4
3 Alex Smith, QB SF 104.1
4 Matt Ryan, QB ATL 102.6
5 Tom Brady, QB NE 100.1
6 Ben Roethlisberger, QB PIT 100.0
7 Josh Freeman, QB TB 98.2
8 Drew Brees, QB NO 97.3
9 Robert Griffin III, QB WSH 93.9
10 Matt Schaub, QB HOU 91.7
11 Andy Dalton, QB CIN 91.1
12 Russell Wilson, QB SEA 90.5

Now I am as big of a RW fan as anyone here but lets not go crazy. This list has Smith as #3 obv hes not a top 3 QB.

madbohem

Reaction score
The problem with rating any draft pick is the absence of scheme and need as determined by the club itself. Irvin could be considered a reach absent of knowing the scheme, design and intent behind his pick. Every pick in the NFL can be looked at that way. Usually their are picks so obvious, like Luck and Indy, that everyone knows the need. Without specifically understanding what Seattle wanted scheme with Irvin, it can be seen as a reach. In fact, I would bet Irvin would have looked like a reach on quite a few teams because they would have been unwilling to make him fit. That to me is where PC/JS made a great pick in Irvin because weren't picking him based on trying to fit him in there, they had a scheme and needed a player with the required skill set to go along with what they were already going to do. Their belief that they couldn't pass on him in the first round means they felt by the time they would pick next, he would be gone. Sure, maybe Irvin really rated a second round pick by a draft grade in a generic sense, but PC/JS probably didn't look at it as whether he was worth a first round pick per say, rather that he wouldn't survive the draft long enough to be their on their next pick in the draft. That is really all anyone has going into the draft, whether someone(s) with the skill set they want, will be there the next time they pick. Reality isn't they valued Irvin so highly as much as it was his skills were valued that highly for what they wanted to do and they didn't see where anyone with his skill set would be available later on.

This happen with Wilson. JS was reportedly wanting to pull the trigger on Wilson in the second round, but was talked out of it. Enter Wagner because they believed Wilson was going to be available by the time they picked next, and I bet they felt that Wagner wouldn't be. JS probably was scare Wilson wouldn't be available later, but being talked out of it included a little bit of how they scouted the other teams need on the board. I think here they probably believed Wilson was valued, but the value placed on him was less then their own evaluation, so took the risk because they had a need in the Line Backer Position. I really have no belief Flynn was much of a factor in them believing they had a safety net if JS was so hyped to pull the trigger in the second round. I think QB was still an issue they knew they needed to handle, but had to evaluate when to pull the trigger.

I think after the 3rd round you simply have a situation where it was less about who they wanted and who was left, and if anyone on their wanted list was left. Enter Turbin. I am pretty sure they had him strong on their board, but addressing a need for more RBs was way down the list behind the needs how the Hawks drafted in the first 3 rounds. There is a lot of internal drama in those first 3 rounds, Turbin though was probably the best available option that fit in the 4th round, and I think we have hardly discovered his value to this team yet because we have the luxury of Lynch in the backfield.

To be honest, I am in the camp that Wilson has hardly had his say yet in how underrated he was in the draft. I think that if the draft took place again he would be a top 3 pick overall, and the more he plays, the more that is going to be said about him. I don't care that folks think its too soon to say how great Wilson is, Me I love having the fantasy notion spinning tales about the legend he is yet to be and wondering what his HOF speech will be. I will be that sold out fan, illogical conclussions and all because I love the boy in me that saw Largent and Easely play without ever the concept of over analysis.

To be fair, I also remember my disapointment in the Boz and was approaching the era of being adult and is one of those things that help my adult responsible side argue for cautious declarations. But the kid in me wins out and I am all about screaming dynasty at this point and nobody's logic is going to stop me. Forget kool aid, I am in a hardcore acid induced delusion that I think the world will see over the next 10 years or so.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I will say, this draft class has potential to be historically good (franchise speaking).. so at this moment in time Kiper looks like he's way off.

Careers are longer than 10 games though folks. If 3 years from now, Wilson, Wagner, Irvin and company still look great - then yeah Kiper is going to look pretty foolish.

I used to be really into scouting and one of the things I hated to do was grade teams immediately after the draft. Just so many things change on a year to year basis, it makes no sense to grade a team immediately after the fact when NONE of these guys has played a game. Aaron Curry should forever be exhibit A of that.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
He's nothing more than a snake oil salesman with unbelievably hilarious hair.

two dog

Reaction score
I buy his book every year and have a collection of them going back at least as far as the
average NFL career. They're a good resource to see what was thought of players five years ago.

He knows where guys went to high school, when they were injured, and how they were in college.
He also knows their triangle numbers and some secret way he predicts their draft status.

Where he is woefully inadequate is in evaluating their strengths and weaknesses. He speaks in
very general terms that may be easily defended later if need be. He seems to fall down mostly
when he opens his mouth. He is intolerant of other opinions to the point of being so childish
that he ends up looking more stupid than I think he really is.

I understand,(read it somewhere long ago so can't quote or defend) that he was actually offered
a job as a scout. I think it was either the Colts, when they were in Baltimore, or the Ravens.
Mel, as most of you know, is a Baltimore guy.

You gotta remember that he is the guy that kind of thought it up and did it. The "draftnik" was
created, in large part, by what he was doing when almost nobody else was.

Saying all that, I sure miss the late Joel Buschbaum. Some say that it was not his obsessive interest
in the draft, (no wife, no kids, nothing but the draft) but that he had a pipeline to an NFL scout or
scouts. Whether or not he did, his evaluations were direct with positives and some negatives that
made you think nobody will draft this kid. I miss that kind of honest evaluation.

I actually talked to kiper once. I called to order his book and he answered the phone himself.
When he learned that I was from Washington and a Husky fan, he started talking about the
Husky cornerbacks. Bill Stapleton and, I believe, Cardinals DC Ray Horton. He was knowledgable
in a way a fan of the Huskies would be. He came across as an affable and likable guy, not the
sneering intolerant man I sometimes see on TV. Of course this was back in the Don James era
and a lot of stuff has gone over the thing since then.

Maybe it's because he sort of invented and carved out the draft guru position that makes him
so defensive and bitter sounding sometimes.
But he still was dead wrong about the Seahawks draft.

Latest posts