Sports Nation Poll: Offensive Rookie of the Year

Fox0r

Reaction score
1fz406

Sorry, there's a typo in the title of this thread. It should read, "East Coast Nation Poll" :sarcasm_off:

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
RW isn't flashy, he plays for the South Alaska Seahawks...What would you expect?

Unless his stats were historically gawdy, the brainless collective hive mind of the national media is not going to take note of how special our quarterback is.

Yet.

That WILL change soon enough.

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
As I was watching the Colts game today, I was thinking there is no way RW stands a chance. Our team is not bad enough to get blown out bad enough to allow RW to pad his stats in garbage time of blow outs or get in a shootout w/ no defense. All our games, even the losses, are relative low scoring close games.

Whats the one stat always thrown around, even around here all the time? Total yards and yards/game, both of which I believe are horrible measurements by themselves of performance. Which is better, 200yds passing in a win or 300yds in a loss. I will take the win everytime, thank you. Sadly, I think a lot of people even so called professionals tend to dwell on the yardage numbers.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
How many times is Luck chucking the ball to get those 300+ yards per game average? Without knowing or looking, my guess is 30-40+ a game.

Apples to oranges. Wilson is averaging what, 20 chucks a game? A big reason why we won't see gawdy yards from RW on an average basis.

el capitan

Reaction score
Let them ignore him, and Sherman and Wagner and anyone
else who comes in and does well. The more national media
attention they get the more costly it will be to keep them in
the long run.

CANHawk

Reaction score
oregonhawkfan":3ipiy7vd said:
As I was watching the Colts game today, I was thinking there is no way RW stands a chance. Our team is not bad enough to get blown out bad enough to allow RW to pad his stats in garbage time of blow outs or get in a shootout w/ no defense. All our games, even the losses, are relative low scoring close games.

Whats the one stat always thrown around, even around here all the time? Total yards and yards/game, both of which I believe are horrible measurements by themselves of performance. Which is better, 200yds passing in a win or 300yds in a loss. I will take the win everytime, thank you. Sadly, I think a lot of people even so called professionals tend to dwell on the yardage numbers.

And this is why I always say that fantasy football is creating an entire generation of idiot football fans. W's are all that matters.

Teqneek

Reaction score
If by rg3s monster game you mean chucking the ball up and praying and the eagles simply stopping running on two plays to leave a guy 20yds deep behind them open then sure. I live in dc so I had to watch the game. Griffin was throwing it up on a Wing and a prayer and the first was due to good field position. The only thing I give him credit for is his running ability

Had he been not playing the eagles he'd have two picks and 50 percent completion today. I foresee a giant tAnk coming in his play against the rest of his remaining division games

tubbs51

Reaction score
Both RG3 and Luck are passing 50 times a game. not hard to get gawdy numbers when you pass nearly every play. Now they'd both be screwed if they went up against us.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Luck is getting credit for taking a two win team and having them in the playoff hunt ten weeks in. Statistically Wilson looks better but he isn't being forced to do it without help. Wilson definitely should be in the conversation but unless he improves on the road consistently he won't get credit for carrying his team like Luck is.

ROY doesn't factor in where they were drafted and it shouldn't just like if we were offered a trade straight up for Luck. I really like Wilson but would jump on that trade without hesitation and that speaks volumes about who is the best rookie in the NFL and not the best value.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Aros":1vuo8y5f said:
RW isn't flashy, he plays for the South Alaska Seahawks...What would you expect?

Unless his stats were historically gawdy, the brainless collective hive mind of the national media is not going to take note of how special our quarterback is.

Yet.

That WILL change soon enough.

The Colts don't really have a run game. Vick Ballard is doing OK, but you are correct, it's mostly Luck tossing passes all day Sunday and sometimes on Monday.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I'm not really getting all twisted about this.

Wilson played poorly out of the gate, whereas RG3 played so well, he took everyone by surprise, and the media by storm.

As stated above, Luck is doing a ton with less talent, and looking damned good doing it. Wilson is quiety having a more efficient season, but isn't asked to do as much, which does matter.

With all the home games, this well balance out at the end of the year, if Wilson continues the home play trend.

hawker84

Reaction score
luck passed 50 times yesterday, and was horrible... that my friends is what i rookie QB looks like... RG3 had two long pass plays and that was it, rest of the game he was shut down for the most part.. but the National Media will not tell you this, they'll show his 2 td, 200+ yrd stats and say, wow he's amazing, even though one TD was on a horribly blown coverage, the other was a throw it as far as i can hail mary and pray, how that reciever caught that ball between 2 defenders i'll never know.. but ya, he's amazing alright... i think luck just pick 6'd his a** out of the ROY race.. Go Bears!!!!

jlwaters1

Reaction score
yeah Luck was amazing completing sub 60% on his passes and throwing 2 pick 6's. :roll:

I think Luck and Griffin are doing good things but everything they do is so blown out of proportion because the media WANTS then to be the best and will lash onto any evidence supporting the hype.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":1kuhee74 said:
The ONLY way that Russell would even be in the running for ROY would be to win the SuperBowl!

Isn't the NFL like the MLB, the voting for all the awards is done right after the regular season is over? I Googled the question and couldn't find the answer.

Either way, it's going to be hard for Luck to lose the ROY award, especially if he leads the Colts to a playoff appearance.

NYCoug

Reaction score
I posted this on Facebook for some God forsaken reason and it's turned into a bunch of east coast football fans telling me that Russell Wilson is 5th in RoY voting behind all 3 of the guys mentioned above, as well as Trent Richardson. Lovely.

Also, people are giving Doug Martin a lot of credit because of 2 excellent games. Granted, they were amazing games, but for the longhaul I'd say Wilson has been better and expect him to better down the stretch.

Latest posts