Rookie QBs: Wilson & Tannehill

FinNasty

Reaction score
Fin fan here, but I come in peace! Great game yesterday! And more importantly to both our franchises, some great games by our rookie QB’s!

I thought Wilson played great yesterday. Not to sidetrack this thread, but like I’ve seen most of you comment on here, I was surprised you didn’t air it out more with him. Our secondary is horrendous, and our run defense is one of our biggest strengths. I figured you’d air it out to go after that weakness more. Wilson sure didn’t display any reason not to air it out… as I thought his play was fantastic for a rookie. He is definitely dangerous with his legs, and made us pay for it multiple times… both when running for yards, as well as rolling around, buying time, and finding an open WR (how many times did he do that yesterday to pick up first downs???).

I’m sure you all are happy with Wilson, as I’d have to believe he is the steal of the draft so far. To get a QB in the 3rd round? That’s awesome. I was a huge fan of Wilson coming out in the draft. The only one (obvious) concern I had was his height, as I believed that if he was 6’4, he would have been our pick at #8 overall instead of Tannehill (I’m quite pleased with our QB though!). Wilson has the experience, athleticism, arm, and intangibles that you’d have to love… and so far the height seems to be a non-issue.

Speaking of Tannehill, what are your thoughts on him as a QB? This may have been the first look at him that a lot of you have had, so what were your impressions? What are your feelings on his future outlook as a QB? Did yesterday’s performance either confirm or change your perception of him prior to the game?

I’ll tell you what… one thing both our franchises are happy about is that they picked the right year to invest in a QB. This class is unbelievable IMO! I’ve never seen anything like it…

Throwdown

Reaction score
I like Tannehill, he's been a surprise, everyone thought he would have to sit and watch, but he's doing great learning on the job. I think you guys finally replaced Marino after all these years.

That being said, I don't think height for Wilson is an issue at all, and probably won't be until he's in his mid to late 30's, when his mobility starts to go.

Greenhell

Reaction score
FinNasty":1294hxyy said:
Fin fan here, but I come in peace! Great game yesterday! And more importantly to both our franchises, some great games by our rookie QB’s!

I thought Wilson played great yesterday. Not to sidetrack this thread, but like I’ve seen most of you comment on here, I was surprised you didn’t air it out more with him. Our secondary is horrendous, and our run defense is one of our biggest strengths. I figured you’d air it out to go after that weakness more. Wilson sure didn’t display any reason not to air it out… as I thought his play was fantastic for a rookie. He is definitely dangerous with his legs, and made us pay for it multiple times… both when running for yards, as well as rolling around, buying time, and finding an open WR (how many times did he do that yesterday to pick up first downs???).

Wished our O coordinator would have felt the same way and let our guy fling that ball around. Could have been a different outcome.

OP
OP
FinNasty

FinNasty

Reaction score
Throwdown":2un0bnf0 said:
I like Tannehill, he's been a surprise, everyone thought he would have to sit and watch, but he's doing great learning on the job. I think you guys finally replaced Marino after all these years.

That being said, I don't think height for Wilson is an issue at all, and probably won't be until he's in his mid to late 30's, when his mobility starts to go.

I agree that it isnt an issue. I, like I guess most of the teams, were concerned about it coming out of the draft (its the only reason why he fell out of round 1). But it appears to have been just a bunch of over analysis... and just not trusting what you see when watching him play.

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
When it was money time, your QB brought the team downfield to score the winning FG.
It's too early to tell if he will be a great one though.

drdiags

Reaction score
I like Tannehill's potential. He has the tools and he showed the moxie yesterday that he can get it done in the NFL. The second interception and maybe the first were due to pressure and veterans have done similar, so that isn't an uncommon thing to have happen. If the Fins can find him his Clayton/Duper duo he should be good to go. I would be up-beat if I were a Dolphin fan.

Wilson has been a nice surprise. He makes his share of rookie mistakes as well but he has grown over the season. The problem for us Seahawks fans is that now our defense is starting to sprout leaks and those early losses that could have been wins would sure come in handy down the stretch.

I would think the Dolphins fanbase is more unified behind Tannehill while our fanbase has had to grow to appreciate Wilson and may never be 100% behind Wilson until he delivers the team to the promised land.

Good game and best of luck the rest of the season. Your defensive front 7 have been stout from what I have seen on Game Rewind all season. Your coaches got the running game performance they were looking for against the Seahawks and hopefully your team can springboard from that. Future looks good for your team at the QB position if the trend continues in the positive.

sam1313

Reaction score
Thanks for the classy post.

I, for one, was very impressed with Tannehill. The guy was poised in the pocked, and certainly delivered when it counted. His success, however, has us concerned with our supposedly top 5 defense. 17 points in the 4th quarter is ridiculous. We were averaging less than that per game!!

Anyway, good luck to you guys. Given that win, I suppose that playoffs are still possible for the Phins, right? Best of luck to you.

Cheers!

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
I was one that felt Tannehill would be good and had wanted the Seahawks to target him in the draft. That became problematic when it was obvious he'd go so high and I didn't want us to spend what it would have cost to move up and get him. He has played well and shows a bright future at QB for the Dolphins. I was upset with the Wilson pick when it happened, but like many, his play and demeanor have won me over and I'm happy the Seahawks have him.

OP
OP
FinNasty

FinNasty

Reaction score
drdiags":8xr44rci said:
I like Tannehill's potential. He has the tools and he showed the moxie yesterday that he can get it done in the NFL. The second interception and maybe the first were due to pressure and veterans have done similar, so that isn't an uncommon thing to have happen. If the Fins can find him his Clayton/Duper duo he should be good to go. I would be up-beat if I were a Dolphin fan.

Wilson has been a nice surprise. He makes his share of rookie mistakes as well but he has grown over the season. The problem for us Seahawks fans is that now our defense is starting to sprout leaks and those early losses that could have been wins would sure come in handy down the stretch.

I would think the Dolphins fanbase is more unified behind Tannehill while our fanbase has had to grow to appreciate Wilson and may never be 100% behind Wilson until he delivers the team to the promised land.

Good game and best of luck the rest of the season. Your defensive front 7 have been stout from what I have seen on Game Rewind all season. Your coaches got the running game performance they were looking for against the Seahawks and hopefully your team can springboard from that. Future looks good for your team at the QB position if the trend continues in the positive.

Trust me, I know all about early games that go away, who's wins would have been really useful about now (back to back overtime losses against the Jets and Cardinals).

As far as Wilson, your fanbase isn't unified in excitement about Wilson???

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Our fanbase is always in love with the 2nd string QB. It's an annual tradition. If Flynn were playing now everybody would be chanting for Wilson. It's the way of the world. The thought was that Flynn spurned Philbin, which meant the Hawks must have promised more, and it was a foregone conclusion he was our starter. It didn't work out that way. Many were mad and thought he wasn't given a fair shake. Personally I think it was the fact that Wilson worked way harder, Flynn seemed entitled to me (which is the reason he wasn't in Miami), and Wilson kicked his butt in practices and camp and the preseason.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Tannehill looks good, and looks like he's progressing. Although, the way our defense has been playing, don't be surprised if he "regresses" next week. Our defense has been making anyone that can throw the ball look good lately, well except Sanchez and Ponder.

OP
OP
FinNasty

FinNasty

Reaction score
sam1313":frixtvb8 said:
Thanks for the classy post.

I, for one, was very impressed with Tannehill. The guy was poised in the pocked, and certainly delivered when it counted. His success, however, has us concerned with our supposedly top 5 defense. 17 points in the 4th quarter is ridiculous. We were averaging less than that per game!!

Anyway, good luck to you guys. Given that win, I suppose that playoffs are still possible for the Phins, right? Best of luck to you.

Cheers!
Yes... the playoffs are still a "possibility", lol. We have to win out basically... which ain't happening. :lol:

OP
OP
FinNasty

FinNasty

Reaction score
SharkHawk":36npqbsd said:
Our fanbase is always in love with the 2nd string QB. It's an annual tradition. If Flynn were playing now everybody would be chanting for Wilson. It's the way of the world. The thought was that Flynn spurned Philbin, which meant the Hawks must have promised more, and it was a foregone conclusion he was our starter. It didn't work out that way. Many were mad and thought he wasn't given a fair shake. Personally I think it was the fact that Wilson worked way harder, Flynn seemed entitled to me (which is the reason he wasn't in Miami), and Wilson kicked his butt in practices and camp and the preseason.

Hope I'm not gunna start a flame war with this if that's the case, but...

Philbin didn't offer him big money for a reason. The gauge on Flynn was what Miami was willing to offer him. If we offered big money, it meant Philbin believed that he could be a franchise QB to build around. However, we didn't offer him much at all, which speaks volumes IMO.

Flynn is a nice QB, but he has limited upside IMO, and doesn't have the potential to be a franchise QB.

Wilson on the other hand does. He has everything you could possibly want in a franchise QB other than height. And so far, he's overcoming that. The only thing Flynn has on Wilson is experience and a couple inches IMO.

hawkfan1975

Reaction score
SharkHawk":mlovpuvj said:

well, says you and a few really. Not to argue but, over-simplify much?

truth is Flynn is an unknown still, was hurt in PS. we have a great backup option, or otherwise he'll make a good edition to a team in need.

Wilson is a short in stature rookie with major promise, He stepped up to fill and played well in PS, was anointed starter, then many re-learned the rule that PS is not regular season. The work ethic he has however will battle through this I think.

For me, a full year is necessary to say who Wilson is exactly, but it wasn't until these last 2-3 games where starter caliber beliefs escalated.
I really like what I've seen from him lately. Scramble that are appropo and make more sense, passing getting better. We all always admired his work ethic and drive though I think.

zero of the above stems from the horse puckey statement of "fans here like the 2nd stringer". It comes from watching our hawks organization since the late 70's over here.

Tannehill looked good btw. Be excited!

OP
OP
FinNasty

FinNasty

Reaction score
Hawks46":3gppt9y2 said:
Tannehill looks good, and looks like he's progressing. Although, the way our defense has been playing, don't be surprised if he "regresses" next week. Our defense has been making anyone that can throw the ball look good lately, well except Sanchez and Ponder.

What specifically has been the problem so I know what kinda curve to grade it on? Specifically, I'm curious how your pass rush has been? The reason why I ask is b/c the main reason behind Tannehill's "regression" was our inability to protect him the past couple weeks. I thought that we protected well this weekend. Was that more of a fluke (maybe attribute to good OL play?) or has lack of pressure been a problem for you?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
FinNasty":1ac6avxj said:
SharkHawk":1ac6avxj said:

Philbin didn't offer him big money for a reason. The gauge on Flynn was what Miami was willing to offer him. If we offered big money, it meant Philbin believed that he could be a franchise QB to build around. However, we didn't offer him much at all, which speaks volumes IMO.

Flynn is a nice QB, but he has limited upside IMO, and doesn't have the potential to be a franchise QB.

Wilson on the other hand does. He has everything you could possibly want in a franchise QB other than height. And so far, he's overcoming that. The only thing Flynn has on Wilson is experience and a couple inches IMO.
Not now. Flynn has 2 NFL starts. Russell has 11. That is the experience that counts.

OP
OP
FinNasty

FinNasty

Reaction score
hawkfan1975":y23m6pse said:
SharkHawk":y23m6pse said:

well, says you and a few really. Not to argue but, over-simplify much?

truth is Flynn is an unknown still, was hurt in PS. we have a great backup option, or otherwise he'll make a good edition to a team in need.

Wilson is a short in stature rookie with major promise, He stepped up to fill and played well in PS, was anointed starter, then many re-learned the rule that PS is not regular season. The work ethic he has however will battle through this I think.

For me, a full year is necessary to say who Wilson is exactly, but it wasn't until these last 2-3 games where starter caliber beliefs escalated.
I really like what I've seen from him lately. Scramble that are appropo and make more sense, passing getting better. We all always admired his work ethic and drive though I think.

zero of the above stems from the horse puckey statement of "fans here like the 2nd stringer". It comes from watching our hawks organization since the late 70's over here.

Tannehill looked good btw. Be excited!

Gotcha on Flynn...

I know you haven't really got a shot to see Flynn yet, but I hope for your sake that you never get a chance. (meaning Wilson balls out and never looks back)

And I think there's a decent chance of that happening...

OP
OP
FinNasty

FinNasty

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2h7nkihz said:
FinNasty":2h7nkihz said:
SharkHawk":2h7nkihz said:

Not now. Flynn has 2 NFL starts. Russell has 11. That is the experience that counts.
Lol! Great point. I guess you could say that Flynn has marinated longer then? ;)

hawkfan1975

Reaction score
FinNasty":1ftid0ee said:
Gotcha on Flynn...

I know you haven't really got a shot to see Flynn yet, but I hope for your sake that you never get a chance. (meaning Wilson balls out and never looks back)

trying to decipher this reply, wilson bails? decent chance of what happenig?

no, we won't get a chance with Flynn, got a helluva backup scenario though if he stays.
Now very happy seeing RW progress. cant say the first part of the season was the same with our D and STs scoring more per game than our O, but I admit he's making me a believer lately. now we got a bit of the reverse scenario, D problems building.

OP
OP
FinNasty

FinNasty

Reaction score
hawkfan1975":39iy654a said:
FinNasty":39iy654a said:
Gotcha on Flynn...

trying to decipher this reply, wilson bails? decent chance of what happenig?

no, we won't get a chance with Flynn, got a helluva backup scenario though if he stays.
Now very happy seeing RW progress. cant say the first part of the season was the same with our D and STs scoring more per game than our O, but I admit he's making me a believer lately. now we got a bit of the reverse scenario, D problems building.

Not if he "bails", lol. If he "BALLS out". Maybe it's a Florida expression, lol. It means if Wilson tears it up or does really well.

I think there's a decent chance that Wilson turns out to be awesome and never lets go of the reins...

Latest posts