NFL Power Ranking - An Alarming Statistic

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Teams have been very successful in running i-formation runs right up the gut. Seems like the d-line can't get off their blocks, especially when McDonald is in there in place of Mebane.

49ers gashed us with those trap plays w/ Gore, then Peterson got 180+ next week with i-formation gut runs.

We need to sure up the run defense and clog the leaks!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
It's no secret that after SF exposed our interior gap control problems, that other teams are following suit.

The alarming thing for me is that you can excuse away some of the big rush numbers for teams like the Vikings and Niners, cause they have AP and Gore.........but to give up 189 yards to Thomas and Bush? That red flag can't get any bigger.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I never bought into the whole "it's AP and Gore" argument.

Sure, they're great players, but has AP gotten 180+ yards against every other team ? It's also impossible that all the teams he's played have higher rated run defenses than we did at the time, so we played below average in that game, especially at home.

Same thing with Gore. Yup, he's good, but he had what, 89 yards against NO, which is one of the worst defenses, per yards given up, in NFL history. So he rung us up for 134 or something, and it's ok because he's good ?

Aside from the star rusher value, our team played worse than what both backs averaged per game over the season. We are trending badly in some areas and it's getting worse when teams like Miami are running wild against us.....and they haven't done so with such efficiency all year long.

Next up Chi and Buf. Buffalo HAS been running wild on people. And it's on the road........any over/under prognistications for Spiller ? I'd say unless things get fixed, he goes off for 160 on us.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":29qbfvub said:
It's no secret that after SF exposed our interior gap control problems, that other teams are following suit.

The alarming thing for me is that you can excuse away some of the big rush numbers for teams like the Vikings and Niners, cause they have AP and Gore.........but to give up 189 yards to Thomas and Bush? That red flag can't get any bigger.

Yep, agree. The niners found that weakness, exploited it, now in this copy cat league, every team is using the same blue print. And apparently we can't stop it. :cry:

The dolphins situation, I think was a combination of playing flat on the road, Leroy getting hurt, and then the Dolphins holding the hell out of us on those sweeps, and us not getting the calls. I think they saw the first one worked, no calls. And they just kept going back to it. Why not? If the refs weren't calling the holds, why wouldn't you keep doing it?

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Our run defense just isn't very good. Sucks because I don't think we can win consistently playing defense the way we have. One of the most encouraging things under Carroll has been the run defense improvement, and now we have reverted.

This is a very bad trend for our team.

amill87

Reaction score
That Graziano guy sure does have something against us.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Yeah the run D has become very problematic for us..........I do not see good things for us the rest of the season. Really hope I am wrong.

themunn

Reaction score
Hawks46":3ox54r7h said:
Sure, they're great players, but has AP gotten 180+ yards against every other team ? It's also impossible that all the teams he's played have higher rated run defenses than we did at the time, so we played below average in that game, especially at home.

Has he?
No
Can he?
Yes
In fact, he's averaged 145 yards a game over his last 5 games with three 60 plus yard runs in that period. It's clear he's getting back to full fitness.
He broke one big run for 74 yards, the kind of run that can happen to ANY team, and that typically skews the statline for the game, and although yes, that game was his best of the season, around 80% of his yards came on 5 carries, the rest of the game he was fairly ineffective. It's just demoralising for the defense when a player does that to you a few times in a game

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Been 5 games since S.F exposed the Hawks' weakness v. the run up the middle. When will we see some coaching adjustments to counteract this? Or, is it simply a matter of the team's interior personnel not getting the job done. Tim Ryan seems really, really sharp and he mentioned that the problem lies with Wagner's recognition and assignment follow through.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":329zv0sz said:
Been 5 games since S.F exposed the Hawks' weakness v. the run up the middle. When will we see some coaching adjustments to counteract this? Or, is it simply a matter of the team's interior personnel not getting the job done. Tim Ryan seems really, really sharp and he mentioned that the problem lies with Wagner's recognition and assignment follow through.

We've heard Pete say at least three or four times now that he's unhappy with the gap assignment miscues, but that the goods news is that's fixable..............well Pete? When can we look forward to the fixing part?

Our defense has enough veteran leadership and talent to not devolve into missed assignments, stupid penalties and getting out of position every time their back's against the wall.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
This is the most frustrating aspect of this team to me. The D is getting gashed in the running game, and it bums me out. This deep ball issue is becoming unsettling as well. Could be a long, tense, run to the end of the year.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
It seems clear to me that the Seahawk "train" is tottering and about to fall of the tracks. It's looking like we might only win two out of the remaining last five games. Which is a failed season in my book!

KitsapHawk

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":3q7ce61x said:
It seems clear to me that the Seahawk "train" is tottering and about to fall of the tracks. It's looking like we might only win two out of the remaining last five games. Which is a failed season in my book!

Please tell me you are kidding..

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
We couldn't fight our way out of a wet paper bag "on the Road"....and I think we lose to the Niners without our cornerbacks. I now feel that we might only beat the Cards and maybe St. Louis.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":mkwvdtta said:
We couldn't fight our way out of a wet paper bag "on the Road"....and I think we lose to the Niners without our cornerbacks. I now feel that we might only beat the Cards and maybe St. Louis.

Entirely possible. Unfortunately

endzorn

Reaction score
The alarming thing to me isn't just the numbers...it's that we're as healthy as any team in the NFL and we're getting gouged by teams who are dealing with injuries.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":16euvo1y said:
We couldn't fight our way out of a wet paper bag "on the Road"

Name one road game that was more than one score away from a win.

Name one that was decided before the final seconds.

And since you can't, go ahead and stop with the ridiculous "couldn't fight our way out of a wet paper bag" hyperbole. :141847_bnono:

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":20oelmo4 said:
OK, OK....we have a "break out" Road win in Chicago this Sunday..... and I'll "toss in the bag"!

If we beat Chicago, I'll poop in the bag, put it on Harbs doorstep and light it on fire! :p