Does our defense suck now?

hawksfan515

Reaction score
Two bad performances in a row. I used to think they were no question top 5, but now we are lucky if they are top 10. They look below average honestly.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
These moronic personal fouls are just killing me. They cost us the game last week and almost costs us the game today.

warden

Reaction score
hawksfan515":2mep9jxb said:
Two bad performances in a row. I used to think they were no question top 5, but now we are lucky if they are top 10. They look below average honestly.

The defense did not have a bad performance today. They had a really bad play at the end of the game but held an 8 and 3 team to 17 points on the road yet.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
They allowed 17 points and 365 total yards today, so no, they didn't suck. What people are seeing as "suck" is a combination of letdown from "elite" from early in the season and clutch plays being given up on crucial moments while the defense philosophically holds its ground.

Suck was 2009-2010. Today, the Seahawks defense allowed two touchdown drives. In 2009-2010, it was allowing four or five per game.

SilNWest

Reaction score
hawksfan515":2ner4350 said:

Bad performances lead to 27+ points. Allowing 17 points isn't really bad, they just had a couple bad plays and let the bad officiating get to them.

That being said, I'm very concerned about our lack of pass rush. Vanilla zone defense is killing us, we need turnovers and some more exotic blitzes.

pehawk

Reaction score
warden":7wte4lbq said:
hawksfan515":7wte4lbq said:

The defense did not have a bad performance today. They had a really bad play at the end of the game but held an 8 and 3 team to 17 points on the road yet.

A VERY depleted 8-3 team to 17 points.

Last week I thought it was fatigue. This week? I dont know anymore.

razgriz737

Reaction score
They haven't lived up to my "elite" expectations this year overall, but I sure wouldn't say they suck.

Still, considering everything that happened in those last few minutes, I can't say I would've felt confident had we lost the coin toss.

warden

Reaction score
pehawk":l2egleay said:
warden":l2egleay said:
hawksfan515":l2egleay said:

3 second year players and and 2 rookies (counting Irvin) on your starting unit, you really expect to see some struggles, some inconsistencies. We are learning, we are showing a lot of promising signs. We are close but not quite there yet. More push from the middle of the DL is something to look for in the off season. The reason fans are so disappointed with the defense right now is they had too high of expectations for such a young unit.

pehawk

Reaction score
warden":22fsyt2h said:
3 second year players and and 2 rookies (counting Irvin) on your starting unit, you really expect to see some struggles, some inconsistencies. We are learning, we are showing a lot of promising signs. We are close but not quite there yet. More push from the middle of the DL is something to look for in the off season. The reason fans are so disappointed with the defense right now is they had too high of expectations for such a young unit.

I hope that's the answer, truly.

razgriz737

Reaction score
warden":2sg10b01 said:
The reason fans are so disappointed with the defense right now is they had too high of expectations for such a young unit.
Put me in that camp. Got way caught up in the hype, haha.

OP
OP
hawksfan515

hawksfan515

Reaction score
pehawk":78zs9l5l said:
warden":78zs9l5l said:
hawksfan515":78zs9l5l said:

Yeah, gotta say, the Bears offensive line was horribly patched, and there was no weapons outside of Marshall, Cutler, and Forte.

If we had a semblance of a red zone defense then we look a lot better on the scoreboard.

VHawk

Reaction score
I have a feeling this looming four game suspension has taken a toll on the secondary.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
hawksfan515":2b1avdsd said:
pehawk":2b1avdsd said:
warden":2b1avdsd said:

Yeah, gotta say, the Bears offensive line was horribly patched, and there was no weapons outside of Marshall, Cutler, and Forte.

If we had a semblance of a red zone defense then we look a lot better on the scoreboard.

You mean better than allowing only 17 points?

pehawk

Reaction score
Thing is, the Bears didn't even TRY to maximize anyone other than Marshall. Which is fine, he's a GREAT player. But, it looked SO easy. Sooooo easy.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
pehawk":2mel51yg said:
Thing is, the Bears didn't even TRY to maximize anyone other than Marshall.

They didn't really have anybody else, tho. Bennett isn't all that.

OP
OP
hawksfan515

hawksfan515

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":utzrhwuy said:
You mean better than allowing only 17 points?

Yeah actually. We really only allowed 3 trips into the redzone. Problem is, 2 of them were converted for TD's, and the other was close to being a TD, and the Bears obviously thought they could get one by going for it on 4th down.

We used to have a really good red zone defense, but lately it's been a sieve.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
hawkfannj":1dbjvn32 said:
Tech Worlds":1dbjvn32 said:
Yes. Right now it does.
This

+2

3rd down and long still a HUGE problem (scheme?) and giving up that long pass with 24 secs. left was COMPLETELY inexcusable. Pass rush was very poor against an o-line that if you described it as 'patchwork' you'd be complimenting them. I expect the Seahawks defense will make Lindley or whoever is the QB for AZ next week look awesome even though the Jets held the Cards to 6 today.