Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Post subject: Re: Browner's suspension starts this week
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:39 pm 
NET Veteran

NEWS from Danny O'Neil:

"#Seahawks signed CB Ron Parker -- formerly with the team -- from #Panthers practice squad and promote Deshawn Shead from its practice squad."

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:40 pm 
NET Veteran

I would rather have both of them sit out now. And be ready for the playoffs.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:43 pm 
* Capt'n Dom *
* Capt'n Dom *

Great. Now Skelton is going to shred us on Sunday.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:45 pm 
NET Ring Of Honor

Skelton did us in with those quick release passes. that needs to be defended.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:46 pm 
NET Ring Of Honor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:47 pm 
* Gangnameister *

Largent80 wrote:

Actually, IIRC we were kicking Skelton's ass in that game. It was Kolb that came in and looked like Joe Montana for half a quarter. Probably would have won if Skelton stayed in...

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:49 pm 
NET Veteran

Carroll says Thurmond takes Browner's spot. and Lane inside battling with Maxwell. Lane gets 1st shot inside.

Follow me on twitter: @seahawks_fan12

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:54 pm 
* Gangnameister *

SeahawksFanForever wrote:
Carroll says Thurmond takes Browner's spot. and Lane inside battling with Maxwell. Lane gets 1st shot inside.

Nice. If Thurmond is the same guy he was last year then maybe we aren't too bad. People forget that Thurmond was starting over Sherman last year. Dude can play ball.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:57 pm 
NET Veteran

Maybe this means earl won't have to be deep so often since Thurmond is faster than browner and doesn't need the over the top help as much. Besides, I hope the bears game makes PC realize he needs to keep Sherm lines up on allstar WR all game like Marshall and now Fitz. I'm excited to see Jeremy lane out there.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:58 pm 
NET Veteran

The timing of this is great. This creates two facts regarding Sherman/Browner

We will NOT be without both of them During the Playoffs

We will NOT be without both of them At all Next Season

Bonus points for Sherman being around the next couple games to reduce the risk of another "let down".

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:59 pm 
* NET Alumni *

Browner's suspension linked to Adderall? Did I hear that correctly?

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:00 pm 
NET Veteran

CANHawk wrote:
Now I suppose Sherman is left to lawyer up and dig in hard to drag his appeal out until after the season ends. Good strategy.

Funny, that's exactly how I was thinkingit should be played. Keep them bothe for the Bears game, then take one suspension now and try to delay one until next season. I think the court which has jurisdiction (wasn't it always Judge Doty in Minnesota or something?) has the power to set aside the suspensions until any case is heard. Just settle the case at the start of neext season. Didn't that starcaps thing get strung along for monts? Mind you, that was under the previous CBA.

Yes, machine-wrapped, WITH BUTTER

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:10 pm 
* NET Sage *

Am I weird for having confidence in Thurmond and Maxwell? I don't know.. just have a sinking feeling one of these guys will be a LOT better than people anticipate.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:16 pm 
NET Veteran

Unless Sherman/the team is absolutely certain something is gonna give during his appeal process, I almost wish he'd just drop it and start his 4 games now so we could have them both for the playoffs. If we assume Sherman isn't a unique case and his suspension will be upheld after the weekend, and that it then boils down to either having Sherman versus Arizona or having Sherman in a potential playoff game, I'd roll the dice on the second option.

That being said I have full confidence in WTIII. Interested to see what Lane can do, because I don't have a ton of faith in Maxwell as a cover guy and Trufant makes me cringe

Last edited by ErikG803 on Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:18 pm 
* NET Sage *

ErikG803 wrote:
Unless Sherman/the team is absolutely certain something is gonna give during his appeal process, I almost wish he'd just drop it and start his 4 games now so we could have them both for the playoffs. If we assume Sherman isn't a unique case and his suspension will be upheld after the weekend, and that it then boils down to either having Sherman versus Arizona or having Sherman in a potential playoff game, I'd roll the dice on the second option.

Agreed. I figure his idea is to stagger this thing out as long as possible.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:18 pm 
NET Starter

Not too worried about this - Browner is good but he was overrated last year because he happened to have a lot of interceptions. How many bad penalties did he commit? And off the top of my head I remember him totally botching a play against Washington on a duck that Rex Grossman(!) threw into the end zone towards the end of the game.

I fell off my couch laughing when we played the Rams on MNF and Gruden said he thought he should make the Pro Bowl. I know he made it, but again, it was due to his inflated interception total.

Look at his horrible coverage on that pass that Bennett should have caught on Sunday. I know Sherman botched the play to Marshall at the end of the game, but that was a bad snap decision, not bad coverage.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:24 pm 
NET Ring Of Honor

Question. If Thumond kicks ass does Browner get his job back?

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:28 pm 
NET Veteran

who knows, the opportunity that presents itself, may be a star will be born whoever gets to play this weekend to replace Brandon Browner. Never know what to expect, but I like the always compete mantra and I guess it has to bear fruit in some fashion. I think having new guys start at home is much better than to start in Toronto.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:31 pm 
* NET Alumni *

Hasselbeck wrote:
Am I weird for having confidence in Thurmond and Maxwell? I don't know.. just have a sinking feeling one of these guys will be a LOT better than people anticipate.

I don't know if I'm confident. But I don't see it as an end of the world scenario by any means. I haven't been exactly thrilled with Browner a good portion of this year. He looked pretty silly on multiple occasions in Chicago. Thurmond, Trufant, Maxwell, and Lane are a definite step down. But I think it's not unreasonable to think one or two of them can step up to the challenge and not get embarrassed. Pete's always talked up guys like Maxwell and Lane. Saying they like them as players with potential. If the rest of the defense is able to play well, it's not ridiculous to expect backups to be able to fill in without a terrible drop off.

That's one of the positives of having a good (for the most part) defense. It's a lot easier for young, unproven players to step in and contribute. Like Malcolm Smith in Chicago playing for Leroy Hill. He didn't light the world on fire. But he also wasn't asked to do anything more than fill a role in a unit with other good players.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:32 pm 
* NET Philistine *

Hasselbeck wrote:

It's reasonable to be confident in Thurmond. He has the skills. Health is his main problem. (Hence why you don't have to have a "sinking" feeling. It's a good thing!)

I'm hoping we have another diamond in the rough with Maxwell, but I'm not getting ahead of myself. Still, if we can generate pressure with the front four at home, it'l cover some issues with our secondary.

Also (not directed at the above), I think the reason Browner is out now is that the NFL denied his appeal. That's about the only thing I can think would be the cause of this news.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:38 pm 
* The Doc *
* The Doc *

I like Thurmond. His injuries have been frustrating but I have no doubt about his abilities when healthy. He played a great game against the Giants last year as the Slot DB and his rookie year did well when starting for Trufant or ??? against the Cardinals. Sherman can thank ET and fate for getting his chance last year in the Browns game.

Thurmond is a starting caliber DB. He should be able to hold up his end. It is the next guy, when Sherman's appeal fails that is the question. Seems like it will be Lane because I doubt they move Trufant out to corner if/when he heals up from his hammy. That puts Maxwell in the slot. Good thing they have opened up the offense, I could see the scoring average going up against the defense.

I have no concerns about the regular season, only the playoffs. And if I did, I will keep them to myself.

Wilson will sign for $18M+ (3/4/2014)

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:45 pm 
NET Bench Warmer

Can Browner practice/workout w/ the team during the suspension? Or is it stay away, we'll see you in a month?

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:47 pm 
*Scott of Smacksville*
*Scott of Smacksville*

I am with the Doc. Press requires a certain athletic fit, but is also simpler coverage in a lot of ways, we will be OK. Now, in the playoffs, when we will most assuredly be facing some really good QBs, then I will be more worried.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:50 pm 
NET Rookie

its funny how our defense has been on the decline. i have a gut feeling this is a bigger problem in the locker room

new seahawks jersey. with the custom dunks!

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:57 pm 
NET Veteran

CANHawk wrote:
SeahawksFanForever wrote:

Nice. If Thurmond is the same guy he was last year then maybe we aren't too bad. People forget that Thurmond was starting over Sherman last year. Dude can play ball.

He also locked down Fitzgerald in the CLINK his rookie year playing in place of Trufant who was injured. Can he repeat that performance? Let's hope.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:59 pm 
NET Veteran

drdiags wrote:
I like Thurmond. His injuries have been frustrating but I have no doubt about his abilities when healthy. He played a great game against the Giants last year as the Slot DB and his rookie year did well when starting for Trufant or ??? against the Cardinals. Sherman can thank ET and fate for getting his chance last year in the Browns game.

Thurmond is a starting caliber DB. He should be able to hold up his end. It is the next guy, when Sherman's appeal fails that is the question. Seems like it will be Lane because I doubt they move Trufant out to corner if/when he heals up from his hammy. That puts Maxwell in the slot. Good thing they have opened up the offense, I could see the scoring average going up against the defense.

I have no concerns about the regular season, only the playoffs. And if I did, I will keep them to myself.

I doubt Maxwell will play slot. I think Lane holds that down and Maxwell bumps out to the edge. he's built more like Sherman and Browner so I think he's more suited to the outside.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:04 pm 
* Gangnameister *

Defensive secondary is Pete's forte. It's his biggest area of knowledge and the place he's proven to be most resourceful. I'm sure that all the kids we have lined up behind the starters have amazing potential. T3 was a starter, Maxwell has looked pretty good when we've seen him, Lane seems to have amazing athletic ability and looked really good in pre-season, we know what Roy Lewis can do, Trufant is still a pretty servicable veteran. I think we'll be okay and for the silver lining edition, we might even get another Richard Sherman "where the hell did THAT guy come from" out of this before it's all said and done.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:14 pm 
* NET Alumni *

What CAN said. Pete knows DB's. I recall an interview with him earlier in the year where it basically sounded as if he thought the world of Maxwell and Lane. I know Pete sounds that way about everyone. But think about it. Sherman was drafted in the 5th round. Maxwell and Lane were both 6th round picks. Maxwell and Sherman were drafted in the same draft, and most people initially lumped them together as project cb's. Nobody should be expecting another Sherman. But it's not crazy to think they could end up players for this team. I trust Pete's eye at the position.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:24 pm 
NET Veteran

Yeah, But our Defense has had a history of making good receivers look elite! This is a huge loss for us, no matter how you try and stack it!

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:30 pm 
* NET Alumni *

jlwaters1 wrote:
drdiags wrote:

I doubt Maxwell will play slot. I think Lane holds that down and Maxwell bumps out to the edge. he's built more like Sherman and Browner so I think he's more suited to the outside.

Byron Maxwell has been plagued with chronic hamstring problems since his arrival in Seattle. Sadly, as well as he has played on special teams, he hasn't been able to be available from week to week despite the snap limitation. Until he and the training staff find a way to manage the problem, Byron's future is uncertain.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:49 pm 
NET Veteran

It is the NFL

Next guy is up

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:49 pm 
* NET Sage *

Not that it means a whole lot now, but Byron Maxwell was the #2 CB recruit when he came out of HS (I think he was like Top 35 overall)

So at one point in time he obviously had some serious skills at that position.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:57 pm 
NET Veteran

Just remember the collective "oh shit" that Seahawks nation let out when Trufant and Thurmond went down last year. Never know who's going to step in and become the best CB in the NFL....

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:01 pm 
NET Veteran

Jeremy Lane is gonna be a stud. Book it

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:53 pm 
NET Bench Warmer

Its a tough break but I think it was planned out, I actually had a feeling that Browner did it, but not Sherman, I think Sherman might be able to win his appeal and leave us with both corners for the playoffs

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:58 pm 
* NET E-Knight *

olyryder wrote:
Can Browner practice/workout w/ the team during the suspension? Or is it stay away, we'll see you in a month?

He can't have any contact with the team in any way, that is my understanding. Hill got in trouble a few years ago for just showing up at a game, in the stands, when he was suspended.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:15 pm 
*GOLD SUPPORTER*
*GOLD SUPPORTER*

Vinny6420 wrote:
Its a tough break but I think it was planned out, I actually had a feeling that Browner did it, but not Sherman, I think Sherman might be able to win his appeal and leave us with both corners for the playoffs

I really doubt that Sherman can talk his way out of this one. Players are not suspended unless there is "drop dead proof" that the substance was found in carefully controlled testing.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:19 pm 
NET Veteran

Bigpumpkin wrote:
Vinny6420 wrote:

I really doubt that Sherman can talk his way out of this one. Players are not suspended unless there is "drop dead proof" that the substance was found in carefully controlled testing.

Maybe his sample got mixed up with Browner's? That's the only possible explanation that's left for Sherman to stand on.
hawksincebirth wrote:
its funny how our defense has been on the decline. i have a gut feeling this is a bigger problem in the locker room

The more I think about it, I'm thinking I might agree with this. A young, cohesive team that's been fighting hard to achieve greatness for 2 years and now 2 of your best players jeopardize that with 2 4 game suspensions? As a teammate and a member of a team that claims and appears to be so close, how could you not feel disappointed and hurt? This team is built tougher than that though, so even if it is/was a serious matter, I doubt it wouldn't get squashed immediately. Plus, this presents an opportunity for the next man to step up. It's how Sherman/Browner get their jobs, so I'm sure they're a little nervous. Especially if Lane, Maxwell, Snead and Co. are as good as Pete and Co. think.

I also remember hearing someone, a player or a coach, talk about how good a player they thought Ron Parker was. It mighta been Doug Baldwin.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:38 pm 
NET Veteran

Good because no way in hell Browner was going to win his appeal, that was obvious. Bad, because Sherm needs to do the same and shut his mouth (Unless he is 195% certain he was falsely accused, which after BB and Winston Guy admitted to it is incredibly unlikely) and accept the loss of 4 game checks so our team can be at full strength for the playoffs. Like a few educated posters have said, we aren't playing any teams that have an elite passing game the rest of the year, and plus 3 of the last 4 games are at home which is where our pass rush is by far the best. An elite pass rush can help cover up the loss of two elite corners.

Richard, admit it, please, lose 4 game checks and get back out there for the playoff game and the 12th man will be behind you. You can shut your mouth this time, we all have faith in you. Just admit it and be quiet.... PLEASE.. for the 12th man :34853_doh:

Anyone want to make me a new signature? I've held out hope long enough.
95% of the time I'm viewing here and/or posting is being done on a mobile device. Pardon any spelling, punctuation, or grammar mistakes.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:22 am 
NET Veteran

Seems I remember Sherman saying he must have gotten it when he drank from a teammates water bottle? Correct? Only way I see him winning his appeal is if say Browner testifies that yep, he had a PED mixed with his water and Sherm drank from it without knowing it was tainted.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:23 am 
NET Veteran

seedhawk wrote:
Seems I remember Sherman saying he must have gotten it when he drank from a teammates water bottle? Correct? Only way I see him winning his appeal is if say Browner testifies that yep, he had a PED mixed with his water and Sherm drank from it without knowing it was tainted.

He came out after this report and said it was false, and continues to tell everyone not to worry that it'll all be cleared up.

Hopefully he's right, and not just delusional that some half assed excuse is going to fly with the league.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:58 am 
NET Veteran

If Sherman thinks there is a chance to win the appeal, absolutely he should go for it. He's young. The next one carries a year suspension (IIRC). I also think that this gives the team a chance to work in another corner the next couple of games. I like staggering the suspensions better than taking them both at the same time.

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]