Getting Flynn's reps on tape important

Scottemojo

Reaction score
As per Pete's presser yesterday, it was important that the Hawks get different types of throws on tape for Matt Flynn. Why? Of all teams in the league, certainly the one team that doesn't need to know what he can do is us. the tape isn't just for us.

They are maximizing an asset. Potentially, Flynn is either a very valuable asset here, or somewhere else. I like the idea of him as our backup, what we saw in those 9 passes showed a lot, but as I said, they weren't for us. Those 9 passes may not show up until draft day, but they will be important again.
He dodged a sack with athleticism.
He bootlegged effectively.
He threw play action effectively.
He threw down the field with good arm strength.
Even the two long incompletions were well placed passes. It isn't his fault Evan Moore is horrible. And Kearse was this close to a ball placed where only he could get it.

If Flynn is here next year, that will be just fine, dude can play. But when the season ends, there will be teams interested in him as a starter. Posters on this board have tried to assign a trade value to him, but that is premature, since there is simply no market right now. In fact, the market for him may not hit full strength until or even during the draft, and most certainly will not really begin to build until after the senior bowl. His real value may be in moving up in the first round, it may only be a 3rd rounder or less. Point is, if they do deal him, it will be with purpose, to target some other position on the field.

Or, his real value may be in Seattle. Point is, they didn't put those 9 passes on tape for us. It was a showcase.

mikeak

Reaction score
Seahawks still does not know what he will do against other NFL teams in the regular season

Pre-season, blowout wins and practice does not tell the full story of a qb

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
mikeak":1adfpev1 said:
Seahawks still does not know what he will do against other NFL teams in the regular season

Do you captain the ship Obvious? The football isn't round either.

This is about Pete saying he thought it was important that we got different types of throws on tape in a real game. Why do you think that is?

sam1313

Reaction score
To all those saying Flynn has no trade value - I bet you also said that TJ had no trade value. PC/JS know more than us, and we should never doubt there ability to maximize the value of an asset.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Funny, but I thought it did show something.

90% of fans here were saying that Flynn wasn't athletic. He had good pocket prescence but couldn't avoid sacks. That he had a weak arm; all he could throw were jump balls deep and short and intermediate passes. That he was a system guy. That his success was solely due to GB's WRs.

I saw none of that. He had a stronger arm than I thought, and I still think he's more accurate on deep passes than Wilson (although Wilson has made HUGE strides in that area).

He escaped a sure sack that non mobile QBs don't get away from. He did this with quickness and strength in breaking a tackle. I'd love to hear "well the Cards gave up" come next, because I haven't met a DL in the league that wouldn't take a sack if it was in his hands (and yes, I've met a few). DLmen LOVE sacks. It defines them in part, and it gets them paid a lot. Hell, you only need 8 sacks a year to get a few mil.

I agree with most that his best value for us is in a backup role. We literally have no one on the roster that can come in and win games for us if Wilson goes down. I agree with Scotte that Flynn can bring us more value probably during the draft. Also realize the market situation come draft. Last year, there was "no market" for Flynn, but look at the draft. You have 5 rookies in the first 3 rounds starting for teams all year, and one more in the third round starting due to injury (and playing well). That's amazing.

This year, the draft simply doesn't look like that. Knowing this, QB hungry teams will look more to FA. That, and teams were trying for Manning, once they failed on that it was "well, let's hit the draft". I think he'll have more value next year just due to the market conditions.

kidhawk

Reaction score
What I saw out there had NOTHING to do with trade bait. People have game film of Flynn in games. He's got 2 real season starts under his belt. That time on the field was strictly to get him a little work with the guys in case something happens to Wilson. Wilson is great at escaping and using his legs, and getting out of bounds and sliding to avoid the big hits, but it only takes one ankle twist or hit to the head and he's out. In slop time, you get your backup some playing time. Personally it drives me crazy when a coach puts the backup in games like this just to hand the ball off. If that's all they are going to do, you can have the starter do that. Odds are pretty slim that a qb gets hurt handing the ball off.

You put the backups in to get them real game reps, so IF the time ever comes, they are just that much better prepared to handle it. Whether Pete and John trade Flynn in the offseason had nothing to do with the trade value, and everything to do with getting real game reps in case of emergency.

Hawks46

Reaction score
The Patriots had Mallett out there flinging passes last night. I don't see anyone whining about them trying to run up the score. Especially since the Texans had their backups in, so they really had quit.

Arizona still was playing their starters. I don't get the sudden hostiliy towards anything Seattle does.

mikeak

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1lobfkea said:
mikeak":1lobfkea said:

This is about Pete saying he thought it was important that we got different types of throws on tape in a real game. Why do you think that is?

Did you read the OP? His freaking point was that Seattle doesn't need game tape on Flynn but we wanted it for trade value. So I pointed out that we don't have any real game tape on Flynn so we need it as much as the next guy......

Reading is apparently an overrated skill....... now go clean the deck :)

mikeak

Reaction score
sam1313":302bqm2q said:
To all those saying Flynn has no trade value - I bet you also said that TJ had no trade value. PC/JS know more than us, and we should never doubt there ability to maximize the value of an asset.

Most of us are saying that Flynn doesn't have more trade value than the upside of keeping him. I realize that we would get something for him be it a 2nd round pick or a 5th round pick (better than 6th or 7th for sure). The question is what do you get with that? We need a backup qb - I don't see us turning that pick into something as valuable as Flynn on the bench despite the salary savings. Once RW makes $15 million / year it is a different picture and you can't afford an expensive backup but right now we can..........

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
mikeak":21oaqvzs said:
Scottemojo":21oaqvzs said:
mikeak":21oaqvzs said:

Did you read the OP? His freaking point was that Seattle doesn't need game tape on Flynn but we wanted it for trade value. So I pointed out that we don't have any real game tape on Flynn so we need it as much as the next guy......

Reading is apparently an overrated skill....... now go clean the deck :)

I am the OP. If footage in the cleanup of a blowout carries little value, why was Pete saying it was important?

redhawk253

Reaction score
Hawks46":30cnjghu said:
He had a stronger arm than I thought, and I still think he's more accurate on deep passes than Wilson (although Wilson has made HUGE strides in that area).

come on now that's silly.. wilson has always had a great deep ball even in college and i believe he's in the top 10 in the nfl this season in deep accuracy percentage.. someone with a pff premium account would have to verify this.. wilson's deep ball looks better than any qb we've had in seattle in the past 20 years.

Steve2222

Reaction score
Too bad we dont have Andy Reid here who could pawn him off to some team for a 2nd rounder and a pro bowl player like he did with Kolb.

sam1313

Reaction score
mikeak":odwxcv3s said:
sam1313":odwxcv3s said:

Most of us are saying that Flynn doesn't have more trade value than the upside of keeping him. I realize that we would get something for him be it a 2nd round pick or a 5th round pick (better than 6th or 7th for sure). The question is what do you get with that? We need a backup qb - I don't see us turning that pick into something as valuable as Flynn on the bench despite the salary savings. Once RW makes $15 million / year it is a different picture and you can't afford an expensive backup but right now we can..........

I'm certainly not disagreeing with you that having Flynn as a back up is awesome. However, I also know Flynn wants to start (how bad, I don't know), and if PC/JS think that they can get better value for the team by trading him and drafting someone else, I'm certainly not going to argue with that. I imagine a lot could be done with the additional cap space and an additional pick in the 1-3 (even 4) range. Anyway, it is a very, very good problem to have.

redhawk253

Reaction score
Hawks46":3hnard1j said:
He had a stronger arm than I thought, and I still think he's more accurate on deep passes than Wilson (although Wilson has made HUGE strides in that area).

come on now that's silly.. wilson has always had a great deep ball even in college and i believe he's in the top 10 in the nfl this season in deep accuracy percentage.. someone with a pff premium account would have to verify this.. wilson's deep ball looks better than any qb we've had in seattle in the past 20 years.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Steve2222":12lcc9ye said:
Too bad we dont have Andy Reid here who could pawn him off to some team for a 2nd rounder and a pro bowl player like he did with Kolb.

Even though that sounded like a steal at the time, It really hasn't helped either team be competitive. Everyone was so excited to see that Eagles defense and they have been pretty poor since that trade. I don't know if it works out statistically, but they sure seem to be playing worse since the trade than they were before it.

ensett

Reaction score
kidhawk":1m4ohgol said:
Steve2222":1m4ohgol said:

Even though that sounded like a steal at the time, It really hasn't helped either team be competitive. Everyone was so excited to see that Eagles defense and they have been pretty poor since that trade. I don't know if it works out statistically, but they sure seem to be playing worse since the trade than they were before it.

I still believe a huge part of their defensive failures was promoting their Offensive Line coach to Defensive Coordinator last year. Like wtf?

mikeak

Reaction score
sam1313":3osu877q said:
I'm certainly not disagreeing with you that having Flynn as a back up is awesome. However, I also know Flynn wants to start (how bad, I don't know), and if PC/JS think that they can get better value for the team by trading him and drafting someone else, I'm certainly not going to argue with that. I imagine a lot could be done with the additional cap space and an additional pick in the 1-3 (even 4) range. Anyway, it is a very, very good problem to have.

Completely agree - we should entertain offers both for the Seahawks sake and Flynn's sake. If we get something that we thing has an upside we take it. If not then I am sure the front office is more than happy to let Flynn be the backup - it is a win win situation

To the OP -- game tape in regular season even in a blowout is worht more than pre-season based on schemes etc and good for our team. It is still not as valuable as a close game.......

kearly

Reaction score
I wouldn't trade Flynn until after I had secured a QB to replace him. Seattle can't expect to win the division over SF if Josh Portis has to play 4-6 games in any given season. Additionally, Flynn's cap numbers the next two seasons are reasonable.

Now, if it's after the draft and we selected Aaron Murray and/or Matt Scott, I'd feel confident enough in those guys (very polished NFL skills) that Flynn could become expendable for a decent offer. I'd hate to take that risk before the draft though, unless a guy like Bruce Gradkowski or Tavaris Jackson remain available until after the draft as insurance.

I think I'd ask for at least a 3rd rounder for Flynn. It's often said that a good backup is worth a 4th, and Flynn is the best backup in the NFL. I truly believe that as a starter he'd be a top 15 QB- a bit like a poor man's Matt Ryan.

Jville

Reaction score
kearly":1megvirk said:
I wouldn't trade Flynn until after I had secured a QB to replace him. Seattle can't expect to win the division over SF if Josh Portis has to play 4-6 games in any given season. Additionally, Flynn's cap numbers the next two seasons are reasonable.

Now, if it's after the draft and we selected Aaron Murray and/or Matt Scott, I'd feel confident enough in those guys (very polished NFL skills) that Flynn could become expendable for a decent offer. I'd hate to take that risk before the draft though, unless a guy like Bruce Gradkowski or Tavaris Jackson remain available until after the draft as insurance.

I think I'd ask for at least a 3rd rounder for Flynn. It's often said that a good backup is worth a 4th, and Flynn is the best backup in the NFL. I truly believe that as a starter he'd be a top 15 QB- a bit like a poor man's Matt Ryan.

Josh Portis is no longer on a roster in Seattle.