Better Running Back

• Shaun Alexnader

Votes: 49 24.4%
  • Marsahwn Lynch

Votes: 152 75.6%

• Total voters

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
Who would you rather have (in their prime) for a superbowl run this year. I have to say Alexander

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
if we have prime lynch in 05 we win that super bowl. Alexander was great but he rarely got hit at the Lline of scrimmage · We all witness what lynch does every Sunday and its impressive.

schkoot

Reaction score
Yep. Lynch > Alexander all day, every day.

blue 22

Reaction score
LYNCH. not even close. Alexander is okay but lynch is a dedicated workhorse..... Are you serious?

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
We don't have the line that suited SA's running style. Lynch.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Lynch with Mack Truck, er I mean Mack Strong.

Truth is tho, Shaun ran a lot on the Right side with success, Hutch & Jones weren't always in the play.
Lynch just refuses to let anyone take him down with a high tackle/ Alexander has a 5 TD record in 1/2 game, and 1,880 yard Season, so this isn't an easy choice if we're being honest here.

Atradees

Reaction score
I remember Lynch tearin up the Pac 10. Knew he was a bad ___. Violent runner for sure.

Alexander the Great was a legend. He did some amazing things I dont think one can diminish. I do like that style of smooth gliding amazingness.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
I'm happy we have had both and I'm even more glad that we don't have to try and make this decision.

I'm leaning towards Alexander because he lead us to the SB.

The Radish

Reaction score
They are such totally different runners its hard to compare.

With the line we had in 05 I'm taking Alexander cause he was the more elusive guy. Like many of the great ones he could get through little cracks and be gone. He also had more straight line speed than Lynch. A bit like Sayers he had a couple of extra gears that if you let him get going in a straight line it was very hard to run him down. He was clear into NFL ball before anyone taught him to breath while running. Up to then he had held his breath on breakaways. After that he was rarely caught from behind once he hit his stride.

With a so-so line we have now a back like Lynch is the best choice by a bus length. I would love to see a dominating O line for Lynch but I think that is still at least 2 years away.

Seahawks fans can truly appreciate a line with all the same players. A couple of times we had that. Most of the Watters years. But of course lines like the ones with Walter, Toebeck, Hutchinson, all in their prime are dream ones that any team would take anytime. I believe that lineup for about 3 years was as good as the O lines of the the Packers in the Paul Horung glory days and for me that's really saying something. Even the 85 Bears couldn't match them.

Think I'm kidding? Take a look at records of most points scored in single games and you will be amazed to see the Golden Boy still holds a bunch of records. And that's from the late 50s and 60s. You'd think with the bigger faster kids of today those records would be blown away.

:les:

Hawk-A-Loogie

Reaction score
Yeah serious man. You see the Oline SA had? My god.

A 3 year old could ride his tricycle through those open lanes and not get touch.

LawHawk

Reaction score
I'm surprised the vote is so lopsided. Until this year I would have said 37. This year I changed my mind. Alexander was fantastic, no doubt about it. But Lynch is about 5% more physically gifted and plays about 75% harder so I'm going with Lynch.

Robbie Tobeck was asked this on Brock & Salk this week and he did not hesitate at all, he said Lynch. It wasn't exactly "Who is the better player" it was more like "What would your line have done with Marshawn Lynch" and from his answer it was totally clear that he thinks Lynch is the better player.

NoChops

Reaction score
its 37 and its not even close...what are you guys smoking? Lynch is in his prime and the numbers he is putting up would be a down season for alexander. He has great yardage, but he is a good handful of TD's behind what 37 put up year after year. The guy was a red zone monster.

you add a couple thousand yards to Shaun's numbers and you are talking a lock for the HOF. If Lynch can win the MVP with AP playing, kinda like Alexander did with that guy in SD playing, I'll change my vote.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
If the poll had said (Alexander, Futch, Jones) vs (Lynch, whatever LG is starting this week, Okung), then the answer would be Alexander.

But it doesn't. Lynch is on the field even when he isn't. His attitude permeates this team. He wins.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
NoChops":2yo0qx91 said:
its 37 and its not even close...what are you guys smoking? Lynch is in his prime and the numbers he is putting up would be a down season for alexander. He has great yardage, but he is a good handful of TD's behind what 37 put up year after year. The guy was a red zone monster.

you add a couple thousand yards to Shaun's numbers and you are talking a lock for the HOF. If Lynch can win the MVP with AP playing, kinda like Alexander did with that guy in SD playing, I'll change my vote.

We all know that a RB's success is linked to how well his line blocks. Lynch has shown a history in Seattle of being able to make something out of nothing when he's been hit behind the line. And this season, he's seen a few more holes opened by the O-line, and has his best season as a result. But this line isn't even remotely in the same league as the O-line behind which Alexander operated. And while I love Mike Rob, he's nowhere near Mack Strong as a blocker. I think that if you put Lynch behind our 2005 line and FB, he'd have matched Alexander's production, at the very least. I think, conversely, if you put Alexander behind our 2011/2012 line and FB, he'd have a harder time matching Lynch's production... he was more of a gliding, make-them-miss runner, and I think he'd have taken more hits and have had a harder time finding open field to hit that extra gear he found on so many of his longer runs.

NoChops

Reaction score
volsunghawk":2vbyht8q said:
NoChops":2vbyht8q said:

We all know that a RB's success is linked to how well his line blocks. Lynch has shown a history in Seattle of being able to make something out of nothing when he's been hit behind the line. And this season, he's seen a few more holes opened by the O-line, and has his best season as a result. But this line isn't even remotely in the same league as the O-line behind which Alexander operated. And while I love Mike Rob, he's nowhere near Mack Strong as a blocker. I think that if you put Lynch behind our 2005 line and FB, he'd have matched Alexander's production, at the very least. I think, conversely, if you put Alexander behind our 2011/2012 line and FB, he'd have a harder time matching Lynch's production... he was more of a gliding, make-them-miss runner, and I think he'd have taken more hits and have had a harder time finding open field to hit that extra gear he found on so many of his longer runs.

I get this..and if you are talking 4 quarters of football, Im with ya, I'd take lynch. But when the cards are on the table, Its 1st and ten on the 18..I want 37 on my team regardless of line. The guy had a chubby for the end zone and he got it done, almost without fail.

kearly

Reaction score
I think Shaun is the better RB, but it depends on what you want. If you want production, it's a young Shaun hands down. If you want consistency run for run, it's Lynch. A typical game for Shaun would be a lot of 2 yard gains with a few huge runs to raise his average. That said, yards are yards, and in-his-prime Shaun was great in short yardage situations. He was killer on screens too. When was the last time Lynch took a screen 80 yards to the house like Shaun used to?

For this offense though, it's hard to argue against Lynch. He brings consistency on every run which really helps Seattle's station to station ball control styled offense. That said, there are plays in every game where I see Lynch get 15 yards and think a young Alexander would have busted a long one for a score in the same situation, but on the other hand we'd have a lot more 3 and outs with Alexander. I think both RBs were well suited for the Seahawks eras that they played in.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Curt Warner in 1983 or 1986.

Alexander definitely benefited from the best line this team has ever seen and Mack Strong, but the guy was pretty damn good. I think the tendency here is to remember him after he fell apart when he got a big contract, instead of the guy who put up ridiculous numbers over five years and was a big part of bringing this team out of infinite mediocrity (10 years straight not getting to the playoffs, 20 years without winning a playoff game). I was really happy that this guy was running the ball for this team.

I thought the trade for Lynch was bizarre given the roller coaster going on in Buffalo with him and McGahaee. I didn't think the team would get much out of Lynch, and I was happily surprised at what he's done. He turns losses into no gain and one yard runs into four yard runs at amazing percentage. I like how he beats up defenses.

The thing Alexander brought to the table that Lynch doesn't have is if he got some space he was off to the races. If Lynch had that acceleration and speed on top of what he does he would make Adrian Peterson look second class.

Fans of this team should be very happy to have had both these guys. Let's hope we get another three good years of of Lynch at his current level.

Latest posts