Can Sherman get awards this season?

Seaman

Reaction score
I don't know, either... At first I think "innocent until proven guilty" but then I think about how player fines are usually handled... When a guy gets fined for a helmet to helmet hit, he can appeal the ruling, but the ruling never seem Is to go away... just the reduction of the fine. In other words, I have no idea! Just bored.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Cushing won the Rookie of the Year and tested positive... they revoted and he won again. So I think a guy on appeal can win without issue.

I noticed an interesting thing though. Sherm is obviously not taking anything now, as he'd be a real moron to do so, and he had his best game ever last week. So if he was taking PED's, I don't see how they were enhancing his performance. Maybe that's going to be part of his argument, if he was cheating, why did his performance continually improve throughout the year after his positive test several months ago?

As for Cushing, look at how much his performance has dropped since his rookie year, and how his vow to prove his innocence due to "tumors" or "working out too hard" has been about as much of a serious investigation as OJ's vow to spend his life looking for the "real killers". Apparently he looked really hard on every golf course in Florida and then gave up. I am still waiting for Cushing to provide the medical evidence he said would clear him. It's been a couple of years. It's been enough time to clear that whole mess up.

kobebryant

Reaction score
I was wondering this as well.

On one hand I seem to remember guys who fail tests for PEDs being automatically inelligible, but I never remember hearing the "what if" of when an appeal carries into the offseason and the player in question plays out the season.

I do not know if it is approached as "innocent until failed appeal".

I'm thinking in this case making Sherman inelligible for awards would open a can of worms, as if he were to win his appeal he would likely pursue some recourse to receive his missed probowl and all-pro bonuses (which when you are on 5th round money is a lot of cash).

Interesting of note, and I doubt they would do this if they weren't allowed, the Seahawks are advertising to vote for Sherman (amongst others) on their website banner.

kobebryant

Reaction score
SharkHawk":9xnur1c0 said:
Cushing won the Rookie of the Year and tested positive... they revoted and he won again. So I think a guy on appeal can win without issue.

I noticed an interesting thing though. Sherm is obviously not taking anything now, as he'd be a real moron to do so, and he had his best game ever last week. So if he was taking PED's, I don't see how they were enhancing his performance. Maybe that's going to be part of his argument, if he was cheating, why did his performance continually improve throughout the year after his positive test several months ago?

As for Cushing, look at how much his performance has dropped since his rookie year, and how his vow to prove his innocence due to "tumors" or "working out too hard" has been about as much of a serious investigation as OJ's vow to spend his life looking for the "real killers". Apparently he looked really hard on every golf course in Florida and then gave up. I am still waiting for Cushing to provide the medical evidence he said would clear him. It's been a couple of years. It's been enough time to clear that whole mess up.

Also, CBs Eric Wright and Cedric Griffin testing positive doesn't exactly perpetuate the idea of "performance enhancement"

scutterhawk

Reaction score
SharkHawk":j0cdkgqe said:

:th2thumbs: :th2thumbs: :th2thumbs: :th2thumbs: :th2thumbs: :th2thumbs:

Throwdown

Reaction score
Wasn't he caught in Sept or Oct? dudes been money even after the test, so I don't see how he can't be a pro bowler, if he isn't its because he got suspended or somethings wrong in the universe. Dudes the best CB in the NFL IMO.

rideaducati

Reaction score
SharkHawk":6b88z7ie said:

If I recall correctly, after the Cushing debacle the rules were changed regarding awards and Pro-bowls. Players suspended are no longer allowed to get awards or be Pro-bowl players. IF his hearing isn't heard until after the season, he would be eligible for both awards and the Pro-bowl this year.

Didn't this happen with Shaun Merriman too? The difference here is that Adderall wasn't around so it was assumed to be steroids.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Ahhh, good thinking rideaducati. I'm betting you're right on here since we just went through a new CBA negotiation/agreement. I am guessing it was probably a stipulation put in the new contract. So what you're saying makes perfect sense.

Shawn Merriman did test positive for I believe the same thing as Cushing (HcG I think?), but I think he tested positive when the rules were a bit different. So it makes sense that the new CBA would change some of these procedural kinds of things. Good point.