PFF: Russell Wilson is now 2012's best rookie player

kearly

Reaction score
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/12/25/roty/

After RG3 has led all season, Wilson finally overtook him in their tracking data after blowing out the mighty 49ers.

Casey Heyward is their highest scoring defensive rookie. Bobby Wagner is the 2nd highest scoring defensive player, well ahead of Luke Kuechly. Irvin is not listed- which doesn't surprise me much considering how little he plays. Lavonte David, the player I badly wanted at Wagner's pick, is the #3 defensive rookie so far.

From the writeup:

Our top ranked 4-3 middle linebacker [Bobby Wagner] quickly became an every-down player for the Seahawks and just keeps on making plays. How the Seahawks continue to knock their drafts out of the park amazes, and puts the rest of the league to shame.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Gotta admit I really wanted Kendricks and David, I was slightly disappointing we got Wagner but he was my next favorite LB and once we drafted Turbin I figured it was a good thing we got both of them and they will push each other.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Call me a homer if you want, but there isn't a single NFL player I'd trade Wilson for straight up. Not one. Wilson is playing on a Brady/Rodgers level, while being just 24 years old and is in year one of a contract that pays him just $750k a year for four years. The only QBs that are (barely) better than Wilson are making $20 million a year and are in their 30s or late 20s. And that's not factoring Wilson's off the charts intangibles, leadership, work ethic, poise, and humility.

Granted, RG3 is on about the same pedestal as Wilson and he's making just $5.25 million per season for the next 4 years, but RG3 is an injury magnet, and Wilson is not. So even compared to RG3, Wilson is more valuable. No player in the game comes even close to providing the "moneyball" value that Russell Wilson does, and it's a big reason why the Seahawks will be a major contender for the Superbowl over the next 4 years (they should be pretty good after that, but I think our window is widest before Wilson gets that 2nd contract).

sutz

Reaction score
Yeah, Wilson's next contract is starting to look scary. :)

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Or to put it another way: Imagine how excited you would have been last offseason if we had signed Peyton Manning. We would have been out of our minds excited! And that would be after paying him $20 million per season. $20 million is a lot of money, but for Manning, it's a bargain.

Now imagine this, Manning not only comes to Seattle, but he gets in touch with an insane scientist that gives him bionic leg implants which gives Manning the ability to run the ball and open up our offense. And as Manning is signing here he says "I love it here so much, you don't even have to pay me!", then signs a vet minimum contract (which is still more expensive than Wilson's), a 4 year, $4 million deal. Can you imagine how crazy awesome that would be?

Well that's basically what Wilson has given us. An elite level passer that can run and open up the offense the way Newton/RG3 can with his legs, who is making basically nothing, allowing Seattle to spend that money elsewhere and make the team even better.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
kearly":11y6g81p said:
Or to put it another way: Imagine how excited you would have been last offseason if we had signed Peyton Manning. We would have been out of our minds excited! And that would be after paying him $20 million per season. $20 million is a lot of money, but for Manning, it's a bargain.

Now imagine this, Manning not only comes to Seattle, but he gets in touch with an insane scientist that gives him bionic leg implants which gives Manning the ability to run the ball and open up our offense. And as Manning is signing here he says "I love it here so much, you don't even have to pay me!", then signs a vet minimum contract (which is still more expensive than Wilson's), a 4 year, $4 million deal. Can you imagine how crazy awesome that would be?

Well that's basically what Wilson has given us. An elite level passer that can run and open up the offense the way Newton/RG3 can with his legs, who is making basically nothing, allowing Seattle to spend that money elsewhere and make the team even better.

:th2thumbs: It is comparable to winning the Lotto and Powerball in the same year!

PGunning101

Reaction score
kearly":wzuqwqwi said:

This is the most insane, hyperbolic thing I have ever read that was largely accurate. Well played.

Escamillo

Reaction score
How the Seahawks continue to knock their drafts out of the park amazes, and puts the rest of the league to shame.
[/quote]

That's my favorite part of the article. And it brings to mind how every single year the national media scolds the Seahawks for having a "horrible" draft, always ranking them near the bottom, and sadly, our local media and too many on this very site go along with the national media's take and pile on. Just makes it all the sweeter when the doubters are proven wrong, yet again. :D

Latest posts