Sherman says he'll sue league if suspended

pehawk

Reaction score
From PFT;

Seattle Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman continues to wait for the ruling on his appeal of a four-game suspension for a violation of the league’s performance-enhancing drug policy.

It’s been over a month since it was first reported that Sherman and teammate Brandon Browner were facing suspensions for testing positive for a banned substance. Browner dropped his appeal and will be eligible to return for the playoffs, but Sherman has continued to fight his positive test.

Even if the decision (expected on Thursday) goes against Sherman and he is suspended by the league, he plans on continuing his fight. Sherman said Wednesday that he will continue to explore other legal options and could ultimately end up suing the league.

“I can’t get back playing regardless. I can just sue the league, and that’s probably what I’m going to do if they suspend me,’” Sherman said.

Adam Schefter of ESPN has reported that Sherman’s appeal was based around a supposed break in procedure in the collection process. The cup used to collect Sherman’s urine sample was apparently broken, requiring a second cup to be placed underneath to prevent leakage. The seal on the second cup was also broken.

Sherman tweeted on Christmas some more thoughts on the basis of his appeal to the league.

“Hoping we play in a just League @nfl. Not a league that allows a tester to mix urine samples. A tester with a history of errors. Has has had to have 6 other tests thrown out and he has only been testing 6months,” he tweeted.

Sherman was also asked Wednesday about his thoughts on how the appeal has played out to this point.

“It’s been pretty standard other than the league telling you they can break rules,” Sherman said. “They don’t care if you took it or you didn’t take it, if the sample is tainted or it isn’t tainted, they said it doesn’t matter. The collective bargaining, there’s policies, there’s rules in the policies that they said should not apply to them and they wrote them. That’s just how the league does things.”

With the track record of PED suspensions being overturned, it appears likely that Sherman will be suspended on Thursday. While he won’t have a recourse to get the four games back, Sherman appears adamant in continuing this fight in whatever fashion he has to.

If he’s suspended, Seattle could get Sherman back in time for the Super Bowl if they play in the first round of the playoffs. If they manage to backdoor into the No. 2 seed and a first-round bye with San Francisco and Green Bay losses this weekend, Sherman’s season would be over.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Well, he WILL sue the league, I'm sure. What in his personality makes it seem he'd go away? If there's ANY legitamicy to his side, the NFL has no choice but to overturn it, because of who he is.

drdiags

Reaction score
Sounds like he will sit out the games if the suspension is upheld and not attempt an injunction to defer the suspension. He will however file a suite against the league in the near future and attempt to get damages. I don't see his threat of a suit delaying his suspension, so for the Seahawks and this year there isn't any relief from losing him for the playoffs.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
drdiags":v0q4wga4 said:
Sounds like he will sit out the games if the suspension is upheld and not attempt an injunction to defer the suspension. He will however file a suite against the league in the near future and attempt to get damages. I don't see his threat of a suit delaying his suspension, so for the Seahawks and this year there isn't any relief from losing him for the playoffs.

Except for Goodell's image. It's taken some major hits this year. It's a definite factor.

I was vocal on not trusting Roger from the jump. So, ya know who I'll always root for. Seahawk or not.

gargantual

Reaction score
I thought he was banned from discussing it publicly (like Pete Carroll keeps repeating in interviews). I'm kinda surprised he isn't in trouble, unless I'm misunderstanding the rules. I can understand Sherm continuing to yap (inherent to his nature - heh), but I figured Pete would of got him aside by now to tekk him to clam up.

Curious stuff.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Good that Sherman's raising the specter of further lawsuits and bringing the credibility of the NFL's tester into question. If there's one thing the league doesn't want more of right now, it's lawsuits and bad press. That may play into his favor.

drdiags

Reaction score
gargantual":5stl1ahi said:
I thought he was banned from discussing it publicly (like Pete Carroll keeps repeating in interviews). I'm kinda surprised he isn't in trouble, unless I'm misunderstanding the rules. I can understand Sherm continuing to yap (inherent to his nature - heh), but I figured Pete would of got him aside by now to tekk him to clam up.

Curious stuff.

The teams cannot speak about it, since it is an NFL/player issue (the team cannot intervene). The player can say whatever he wants since he is being suspended for violating a league policy. Sherman's lawyer is the only one who can advise Sherman to pipe down if this is going to end up in court. The more he talks the more boxed in he is with any future litigation against the league but if his story doesn't change, he can say what ever he feels he needs to.

Short answer. Only the teams are told to not make comments on this in lieu of a $500K fine.

SeaTown81

Reaction score
So Sherm's saying this tester mixed urine samples. Wow. That's some accusation.

Come to think of it. 3 of our players (Sherman, Browner, and Guy) all tested positive for the same drug. If I'm to take Sherman's accusation at face value and put my "the world hates Seattle for the GB game and the NFL would love nothing more than for us to go away and that game to have no impact on the postseason" conspiracy hat on for just a second.

What better way to see to it than to have a positive drug test from an insignificant player like Winston Guy and mix it with the two giant cb's that make Seattle's defense so effective and unique?

At the time Seattle's offense had not yet bloomed, and it was the defense alone keeping the Hawks in playoff contention. If you're the NFL and want that damn GB game wiped out of significance, what better way to see to it that Seattle's chances are dashed than to eliminate it's 2 defensive players that everyone says makes it work?

For the record, and the sake of annoying SF fans reading this, I am not making this accusation myself, nor do I believe it's the case. My post is MOSTLY comical. BUT...it isn't exactly worth dismissing as an interesting conspiracy theory either. I've read national writers say a million times this season how the NFL doesn't want that game to factor into the postseason. Who is to say that Czar Goodell wouldn't do such a thing and put a hit out of a team NOBODY in the country outside of the PNW cares about? I can think of crazier conspiracies.

All fun aside, I can't see how Sherman doesn't get suspended. The precedent has been set. The league holds all the cards once it rules against a player. And especially a case where the player is talking out against it, accusing it of wrong doing. I honestly think it's a formality at this point. Sherm's just putting on a good show and fighting for the team.

HawkWow

Reaction score
He's gonna' sue the league? What about us? Let's all sue the league.

I commented on this in a different thread and my opinion wasn't overly popular. It's not changed. I believe Sherm knows and I think the org knows as well. I think his ommision from the PB speaks volumes too. I said if I were Vegas, I'd make the odds 3-1 that his appeal is kicked to the curb. He's still talking and now threatening. That don't sound positive to me. My new odds are 6-1 that he is a goner. The good news is we'll have him for the SB. Other good news is he probably actually qualifies for a script of Adderall.

morgulon1

Reaction score
pehawk":3k8hdawe said:
drdiags":3k8hdawe said:

Except for Goodell's image. It's taken some major hits this year. It's a definite factor.

I was vocal on not trusting Roger from the jump. So, ya know who I'll always root for. Seahawk or not.

Thats what I was thinking during my intial response but left it out . The way Goodell handled the player work stopage, but the worst was the way he conducted his business with the New Orlean Saints which amounted to nothing less than a witch hunt ( of which Jonathan Vilma is sue Rogers ass of as we speak). I am backing #25.

KitsapHawk

Reaction score
SeaTown81":36e8d8yb said:
So Sherm's saying this tester mixed urine samples. Wow. That's some accusation.

Come to think of it. 3 of our players (Sherman, Browner, and Guy) all tested positive for the same drug. If I'm to take Sherman's accusation at face value and put my "the world hates Seattle for the GB game and the NFL would love nothing more than for us to go away and that game to have no impact on the postseason" conspiracy hat on for just a second.

What better way to see to it than to have a positive drug test from an insignificant player like Winston Guy and mix it with the two giant cb's that make Seattle's defense so effective and unique?

At the time Seattle's offense had not yet bloomed, and it was the defense alone keeping the Hawks in playoff contention. If you're the NFL and want that damn GB game wiped out of significance, what better way to see to it that Seattle's chances are dashed than to eliminate it's 2 defensive players that everyone says makes it work?

For the record, and the sake of annoying SF fans reading this, I am not making this accusation myself, nor do I believe it's the case. My post is MOSTLY comical. BUT...it isn't exactly worth dismissing as an interesting conspiracy theory either. I've read national writers say a million times this season how the NFL doesn't want that game to factor into the postseason. Who is to say that Czar Goodell wouldn't do such a thing and put a hit out of a team NOBODY in the country outside of the PNW cares about? I can think of crazier conspiracies.

All fun aside, I can't see how Sherman doesn't get suspended. The precedent has been set. The league holds all the cards once it rules against a player. And especially a case where the player is talking out against it, accusing it of wrong doing. I honestly think it's a formality at this point. Sherm's just putting on a good show and fighting for the team.

:327321_Spy_23.22: :34853_tinfoil: :34853_tinfoil: :34853_tinfoil:

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
We wont make the SB if he is suspended. He's that good and the league knows it. That explains why they waited so long to act regarding our CBs. The league's handling of these tests is very suspicious to me. Goodell is the Devil.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I hope he sues the POS that is Rog Goodell for every cent that ass clown has if he is suspended. Rog reminds me of a arrogant used car salesman that always thinks he's right but never is.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
morgulon1":3nq43snu said:
pehawk":3nq43snu said:
drdiags":3nq43snu said:

Thats what I was thinking during my intial response but left it out . The way Goodell handled the player work stopage, but the worst was the way he conducted his business with the New Orlean Saints which amounted to nothing less than a witch hunt ( of which Jonathan Vilma is sue Rogers ass of as we speak). I am backing #25.

Witch hunt? Umm it's a fact that players were involved in the "bounty-Gate Scandal. Tags confirmed that, except he though the punishment needed to be on the coaches only. THere is nothing Tagliabue's findings that exonorate the players from there actions. Sure Vilma can sue, but for what? He wasn't allowed to play, but he has been getting paid while this has all been sorted out (from what I've heard). Furthermore, Vilma will hard time proving libel/slander against Goodell.

I don't really get all the Goodell hate quite frankly. The commish isn't supposed to be liked by the players, he's the sheriff and he's running a tight ship. What I find most remarkable is that you all seem to blame Goodell, but give Demaurice Smith a free pass. He was the one the who negotiated the new CBA and allowed the Commish this ridiculous amount of power.

redhawk253

Reaction score
i would think there could be something he could do kinda similar to the new orleans players who sued and the league had to allow them to play until the hearing was over with...

mikeak

Reaction score
Vilma was allowed to play but was injured. The lawsuit is for defamation

Tagliabue's ruling was a joke. "Players participated in somethin not allowed but are completely without fault for thei own behavior as the team was behind it". I hold my five year old son to a higher standard. Was a season suspension to harsh considering the length if players careers? Yes. Should they go free - NO

If Sherman wins the appeal it means problems in the testing were discovered and he should be free to play

If he doesn't win he took adderall got caught en if story

Note option one doesn't mean he didn't take anything simply that due to failure in procedures what he took becomes irrelevant

seahawks08

Reaction score
When a CBA is negotiated, you don't get everything you want, you got to give some to gain some. It is an owners league and not a players league. The negotiated to the extent that was possible. When you chose a sherrif, ofcourse you provide the authority, but you also expect the authority is used responsibly, not in a monarchial manner where you don't give the option for people to due process. In the Bounty gate scandal, Vilma was accused based on different accounts and mostly hear say, when somebody was in trouble, they tried to put the blame on others or even throw other people under the bus. I honestly don't think banning a head coach for a year was right specially when the head coach was not directly involved but was held accountable. Even today I hear a Dallas cowboy player in an interview where he said, RG3 is running around, so our goal is to hit him hard so he can be taken out, so when you play a contact sport, this is the attitude people are going to play with. I think Greg is the one who installed it and it should end there, players are following coaches and their culture that is installed. It should never have come to punishing a player in my opinion. Yes there are rules, but the players are not expected to understand hitting a player to make him a non factor is a rule somewhere. Roger wanted to prove a point and he wanted to make sure he dealt it with an iron hand, he over played it for sure at the cost of a franchise and its fans.

ivotuk

Reaction score
jlwaters1":1ur9wkdi said:
morgulon1":1ur9wkdi said:
pehawk":1ur9wkdi said:

Witch hunt? Umm it's a fact that players were involved in the "bounty-Gate Scandal. Tags confirmed that, except he though the punishment needed to be on the coaches only. THere is nothing Tagliabue's findings that exonorate the players from there actions. Sure Vilma can sue, but for what? He wasn't allowed to play, but he has been getting paid while this has all been sorted out (from what I've heard). Furthermore, Vilma will hard time proving libel/slander against Goodell.

I don't really get all the Goodell hate quite frankly. The commish isn't supposed to be liked by the players, he's the sheriff and he's running a tight ship. What I find most remarkable is that you all seem to blame Goodell, but give Demaurice Smith a free pass. He was the one the who negotiated the new CBA and allowed the Commish this ridiculous amount of power.

This right here. DeMaurice Smith blew it. He allowed the NFL, and Roger Goodell to hold absolute power over penalizing the players. There should have been a clearer appeal process that could have included 3 former players, or former coaches to review the appeals. But "De" missed out on a lot of things to benefit the players.

Goodell is doing what the NFLPA allowed him to do.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
So, why did they wait so long to come out with the findings for Sherm and Browner? There were other players who got positives but they were able to serve the suspensions earlier in the season. Why did they wait so long on our corners? Seems fishy to me.
We will lose Sherman for the playoffs I am afraid and that is going to hurt the D big time. It sucks.