So sick of hearing about "Road Woes"

12thManHawkFan

Reaction score
(I apologize for caps in advance, I typed this up in word while I was gathering notes)
So I am so sick and tired about hearing some people talk about how the Hawks don't stand a chance on the road because they are so terrible away from the Clink!! Well I took the liberty of compiling some information for you folks that may believe what the media is selling us!! If you are at all worried about how the Hawks are going to do away from the Clink during the playoffs I think this information should help sooth your worries. Pay attention to the red text, all of the other statistical information has been added for quick references.

THE SEAHAWKS “TERRIBLE ON THE ROAD” ILLUSION

1ST QTR
(L)CARDINALS (AWAY) SCORE 16-20, YDS 254, YARDS ALLOWED 253, TO TOTAL 0 (LOST 2)
(W)DALLAS (HOME) SCORE 27-7, YDS 296, YARDS ALLOWED 315, TO TOTAL +2 (LOST 0)
(W)GB (HOME) SCORE 14-12, YDS 268, YARDS ALLOWED 238, TO TOTAL 0 (LOST 0)
(L)STL (AWAY) SCORE 13-19, YDS 319, YARDS ALLOWED 286, TO TOTAL -2 (LOST 3)

1ST QTR SUMMARY AVERAGES AN OBSERVATION-
POINTS SCORED AVE = 18.5, VARIANCE = -5.5 TO +8.5 (I.E. ONE SCORE)
POINTS ALLOWED AVE = 14.5, YARDS AVE = 284, YRDS ALLOWED AVE = 273

IN CLOSING OUR 1ST QTR WE SCORED AN AVERAGE OF 19 POINTS IN EACH GAME, PLUS OR MINUS ONE TOUCHDOWN, AND AN AVERAGED 290 YARDS. WE DID LOSE TWO ROAD GAMES BUT PERFORMED CONSISTANTLY THROUGHOUT THE QUARTER, REGARDLESS OF HOME OR AWAY. BONUS STAT: WE WERE EVEN FOR TURNOVER DIFFERENTIALS, THREE PICKS DURING THE STL GAME WERE WELL PLACED BALLS THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN CAUGHT.

2ND QTR
(W)CAR(AWAY) SCORE 16-12, YDS 310, YARDS ALLOWED 190, TO TOTAL -2 (LOST 3)
(W)NE (HOME) SCORE 24-23, YDS 475, YARDS ALLOWED 368, TO TOTAL 0 (LOST 2)
(L)SF (AWAY) SCORE 6-13, YDS 251, YARDS ALLOWED 313, TO TOTAL 0 (LOST 1)
(L)DET (AWAY) SCORE 24-28, YDS 369, YARDS ALLOWED 415, TO TOTAL -1 (LOST 2)

2ND QTR SUMMARY AVERAGES AN OBSERVATION-
POINTS SCORED AVE = 17.5 , VARIANCE = -1 TO +6.5 (I.E ONE SCORE)
POINTS ALLOWED AVE= 19, YARDS AVE = 384, YRDS ALLOWED AVE = 321

IN CLOSING OUT SECOND QTR WE SCORED AN AVERAGE OF 17 POINTS IN EACH GAME PLUS OR MINUS ABOUT ONE TOUCHDOWN, THIS STAT STAYED PRETTY CONSISTENT THROUGH THE FIRST 8 GAMES. AS FOR OUR YARDAGE, WE AVERAGED 384, AN INCREASE OF 100 YARDS PER GAME!! IMPROVEMENT!! WE DID LOSE TWO GAMES IN THE SECOND QUARTER BUT FROM LOOKING AT THE STAT AVERAGES THE ONLY GAME WE TRULY DIGRESSED WAS THE SF GAME (5 DROPPED PASSES WILL DO THAT). BONUS STAT: WE LOST THE TURNOVER BATTLE AT -3 THIS QUARTER BUT STILL FINISHED THE QUARTER AT 2-2, SAME AS THE FIRST QUARTER WITH A 0 TURNOVER DIFFERENTIAL.

3RD QTR
(W)MINN (HOME) SCORE 30-20, YRDS 385, YARDS ALLOWED 287, TO TOTALS +2 (LOST 0)
(W)NYJ (HOME) SCORE 28-7, YRDS 363, YARDS ALLOWED 185, TO TOTALS +2 (LOST 2)
(L)MIA (AWAY) SCORE 21-24, YRDS 312, YARDS ALLOWED 435, TO TOTALS +1 (LOST 0)
(W)CHI (AWAY) SCORE 23-17, YRDS 459, YARDS ALLOWED 365, TO TOTALS -1 (LOST 1)

3RD QTR SUMMARY AVERAGES AN OBSERVATION-
POINTS SCORED AVE = 24.5 , VARIANCE = -3.5 TO +6.5 (I.E ONE SCORE)
POINTS ALLOWED AVE= 17, YARDS AVE = 380, YRDS ALLOWED AVE = 321

IN CLOSING OUT OUR 3RD QUARTER WE SCORED AN AVERAGE OF 24.5 POINTS IN EACH GAME PLUS OR MINUS ONE TOUCHDOWN, THIS STAT WENT UP IN THE 3RD QTR BY AN AVERAGE OF ONE TOUCHDOWN PER GAME!! AS FOR OUR YARDAGE WE MAINTAINED THE PREVIOUS QTRS AVERAGE WITHIN 5 YARDS PER GAME, IF THAT ISN’T CONSISTENT PLAY, HOME OR AWAY, I DON’T KNOW WHAT IS!! BONUS STAT: WE WERE + 4 IN TURNOVER DIFFERENTIAL AND WON 3 OF 4 OF OUR GAMES, YET ANOTHER SIGN OF POSITIVE CONSISTENT IMPROVEMENT. NOTHING TO THIS POINT LEADS ME TO BELIEVE THESE GUYS PLAY “SIGNIFICANTLY DIFFERENT” ON THE ROAD AS THEY DO AT HOME.

4TH QTR
(W)ARI (HOME) SCORE 58-0, YRDS 493, YARDS ALLOWED 154, TO TOTALS +7 (LOST 1)
(W)BUF (AWAY) SCORE 50-17, YRDS 466, YARDS ALLOWED 333, TO TOTALS +3 (LOST 0)
(W)SF (HOME) SCORE 42-13, YRDS 346, YARDS ALLOWED 313, TO TOTALS +1 (LOST 1)
STL (HOME)

4TH QTR SUMMARY AVERAGES AN OBSERVATION-
POINTS SCORED AVE = 50, VARIANCE = -8 TO +8 (I.E ONE SCORE)
POINTS ALLOWED AVE= 10, YARDS AVE = 435, YRDS ALLOWED AVE = 267

3 GAMES INTO OUR 4TH QTR WE SCORED AN AVERAGE OF 50 POINTS IN EACH GAME PLUS OR MINUS ONE TOUCHDOWN, THIS STAT WENT UP BY THREE TOUCHDOWNS AND A FG PER GAME!!!! AS FOR OUR YARDAGE, WE AVERAGED 435!! 55 YARDS MORE PER GAME THEN OUR PREVIOUS TWO QTRS!!! BONUS STAT: WE HAVE BEEN PLUS 11 IN TURNOVERS THIS QUARTER, THAT IS PART OF THE REASON FOR ALL OF THE BOLSTERED SCORING, THE SF GAME IS CLOSEST TO OUR NORMAL EXPECTED OFFENSIVE OUTPUT IN MY OPINION.

SO AFTER DISECTING ALL OF THIS BASIC INFORMATION, MY FORGONE CONCLUSION IS AN OBVIOUS ONE…THIS TEAM HAS BEEN PLAYING CONSISTENT ALL YEAR LONG, STEADILY IMPROVING!! THERE IS NO “TERRIBLE ROAD PERFORMANCE”. THERE IS NO “INABILITY TO PLAY AWAY FROM THE CLINK” AND THERE HASN’T BEEN ALL YEAR LONG. WITH THAT SAID, THIS WEEKEND MY PREDICTION IS

45-15 SEATTLE OVER THE RAMS.

GET USED TO THIS ANGRY BIRDS, THIS TEAM COULD BE IT!! I CAN SEE US MAKING A DEEP PLAYOFF RUN WITH THE LEVEL OF CONSISTENCY SO FAR.

seabowl

Reaction score
I am sick of it as we'll. Only problem is that it has been true for all of these years. The whole 1pm est games is an unfair advantage to the east coast teams but great teams overcome that (see Niners of the 80's). We still have not performed we'll overall on the road this year as witnessed by our record. It will remain a true statement throughout the league until we show we can consistently win on the road.

sutz

Reaction score
A couple of good games during the course of one season does not erase 35 years of memory in the heads of pundits in search of a story, any story.

You think that's bad, wait til you hear all of the "haven't won a road playoff game since 1983" comments. They're coming, probably starting this Sunday at about half time. That will be said until the team wins a game and corrects it the only way they can. Meanwhile, the coffee's hot and so are the Seahawks. I'm just enjoying the ride while I can.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Well, they have been proving people wrong all year, especially the 2nd half of the season. The next "thing" to cross off the list is winning a road playoff game for the first time in 30 years. Needless to say, we're very due.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
As much as all these stats are fun the fact is we are 7-0 at home and 3-5 on the road. It doesn't matter how well you play unless you win -- the main stat that matters. The Hawks are obviously a different team than they were just 7 games ago but you can't erase history.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
What does any previous game have to do with what we do in the playoffs?? Absolutely NOTHING. Can't change what has happened, it means nothing. One game at a time.

seahawks08

Reaction score
12thManHawkFan":22l7yumw said:
(I apologize for caps in advance, I typed this up in word while I was gathering notes)
So I am so sick and tired about hearing some people talk about how the Hawks don't stand a chance on the road because they are so terrible away from the Clink!! Well I took the liberty of compiling some information for you folks that may believe what the media is selling us!! If you are at all worried about how the Hawks are going to do away from the Clink during the playoffs I think this information should help sooth your worries. Pay attention to the red text, all of the other statistical information has been added for quick references.

THE SEAHAWKS “TERRIBLE ON THE ROAD” ILLUSION

1ST QTR
(L)CARDINALS (AWAY) SCORE 16-20, YDS 254, YARDS ALLOWED 253, TO TOTAL 0 (LOST 2)
(W)DALLAS (HOME) SCORE 27-7, YDS 296, YARDS ALLOWED 315, TO TOTAL +2 (LOST 0)
(W)GB (HOME) SCORE 14-12, YDS 268, YARDS ALLOWED 238, TO TOTAL 0 (LOST 0)
(L)STL (AWAY) SCORE 13-19, YDS 319, YARDS ALLOWED 286, TO TOTAL -2 (LOST 3)

1ST QTR SUMMARY AVERAGES AN OBSERVATION-
POINTS SCORED AVE = 18.5, VARIANCE = -5.5 TO +8.5 (I.E. ONE SCORE)
POINTS ALLOWED AVE = 14.5, YARDS AVE = 284, YRDS ALLOWED AVE = 273

IN CLOSING OUR 1ST QTR WE SCORED AN AVERAGE OF 19 POINTS IN EACH GAME, PLUS OR MINUS ONE TOUCHDOWN, AND AN AVERAGED 290 YARDS. WE DID LOSE TWO ROAD GAMES BUT PERFORMED CONSISTANTLY THROUGHOUT THE QUARTER, REGARDLESS OF HOME OR AWAY. BONUS STAT: WE WERE EVEN FOR TURNOVER DIFFERENTIALS, THREE PICKS DURING THE STL GAME WERE WELL PLACED BALLS THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN CAUGHT.

2ND QTR
(W)CAR(AWAY) SCORE 16-12, YDS 310, YARDS ALLOWED 190, TO TOTAL -2 (LOST 3)
(W)NE (HOME) SCORE 24-23, YDS 475, YARDS ALLOWED 368, TO TOTAL 0 (LOST 2)
(L)SF (AWAY) SCORE 6-13, YDS 251, YARDS ALLOWED 313, TO TOTAL 0 (LOST 1)
(L)DET (AWAY) SCORE 24-28, YDS 369, YARDS ALLOWED 415, TO TOTAL -1 (LOST 2)

2ND QTR SUMMARY AVERAGES AN OBSERVATION-
POINTS SCORED AVE = 17.5 , VARIANCE = -1 TO +6.5 (I.E ONE SCORE)
POINTS ALLOWED AVE= 19, YARDS AVE = 384, YRDS ALLOWED AVE = 321

IN CLOSING OUT SECOND QTR WE SCORED AN AVERAGE OF 17 POINTS IN EACH GAME PLUS OR MINUS ABOUT ONE TOUCHDOWN, THIS STAT STAYED PRETTY CONSISTENT THROUGH THE FIRST 8 GAMES. AS FOR OUR YARDAGE, WE AVERAGED 384, AN INCREASE OF 100 YARDS PER GAME!! IMPROVEMENT!! WE DID LOSE TWO GAMES IN THE SECOND QUARTER BUT FROM LOOKING AT THE STAT AVERAGES THE ONLY GAME WE TRULY DIGRESSED WAS THE SF GAME (5 DROPPED PASSES WILL DO THAT). BONUS STAT: WE LOST THE TURNOVER BATTLE AT -3 THIS QUARTER BUT STILL FINISHED THE QUARTER AT 2-2, SAME AS THE FIRST QUARTER WITH A 0 TURNOVER DIFFERENTIAL.

3RD QTR
(W)MINN (HOME) SCORE 30-20, YRDS 385, YARDS ALLOWED 287, TO TOTALS +2 (LOST 0)
(W)NYJ (HOME) SCORE 28-7, YRDS 363, YARDS ALLOWED 185, TO TOTALS +2 (LOST 2)
(L)MIA (AWAY) SCORE 21-24, YRDS 312, YARDS ALLOWED 435, TO TOTALS +1 (LOST 0)
(W)CHI (AWAY) SCORE 23-17, YRDS 459, YARDS ALLOWED 365, TO TOTALS -1 (LOST 1)

3RD QTR SUMMARY AVERAGES AN OBSERVATION-
POINTS SCORED AVE = 24.5 , VARIANCE = -3.5 TO +6.5 (I.E ONE SCORE)
POINTS ALLOWED AVE= 17, YARDS AVE = 380, YRDS ALLOWED AVE = 321

IN CLOSING OUT OUR 3RD QUARTER WE SCORED AN AVERAGE OF 24.5 POINTS IN EACH GAME PLUS OR MINUS ONE TOUCHDOWN, THIS STAT WENT UP IN THE 3RD QTR BY AN AVERAGE OF ONE TOUCHDOWN PER GAME!! AS FOR OUR YARDAGE WE MAINTAINED THE PREVIOUS QTRS AVERAGE WITHIN 5 YARDS PER GAME, IF THAT ISN’T CONSISTENT PLAY, HOME OR AWAY, I DON’T KNOW WHAT IS!! BONUS STAT: WE WERE + 4 IN TURNOVER DIFFERENTIAL AND WON 3 OF 4 OF OUR GAMES, YET ANOTHER SIGN OF POSITIVE CONSISTENT IMPROVEMENT. NOTHING TO THIS POINT LEADS ME TO BELIEVE THESE GUYS PLAY “SIGNIFICANTLY DIFFERENT” ON THE ROAD AS THEY DO AT HOME.

4TH QTR
(W)ARI (HOME) SCORE 58-0, YRDS 493, YARDS ALLOWED 154, TO TOTALS +7 (LOST 1)
(W)BUF (AWAY) SCORE 50-17, YRDS 466, YARDS ALLOWED 333, TO TOTALS +3 (LOST 0)
(W)SF (HOME) SCORE 42-13, YRDS 346, YARDS ALLOWED 313, TO TOTALS +1 (LOST 1)
STL (HOME)

4TH QTR SUMMARY AVERAGES AN OBSERVATION-
POINTS SCORED AVE = 50, VARIANCE = -8 TO +8 (I.E ONE SCORE)
POINTS ALLOWED AVE= 10, YARDS AVE = 435, YRDS ALLOWED AVE = 267

3 GAMES INTO OUR 4TH QTR WE SCORED AN AVERAGE OF 50 POINTS IN EACH GAME PLUS OR MINUS ONE TOUCHDOWN, THIS STAT WENT UP BY THREE TOUCHDOWNS AND A FG PER GAME!!!! AS FOR OUR YARDAGE, WE AVERAGED 435!! 55 YARDS MORE PER GAME THEN OUR PREVIOUS TWO QTRS!!! BONUS STAT: WE HAVE BEEN PLUS 11 IN TURNOVERS THIS QUARTER, THAT IS PART OF THE REASON FOR ALL OF THE BOLSTERED SCORING, THE SF GAME IS CLOSEST TO OUR NORMAL EXPECTED OFFENSIVE OUTPUT IN MY OPINION.

SO AFTER DISECTING ALL OF THIS BASIC INFORMATION, MY FORGONE CONCLUSION IS AN OBVIOUS ONE…THIS TEAM HAS BEEN PLAYING CONSISTENT ALL YEAR LONG, STEADILY IMPROVING!! THERE IS NO “TERRIBLE ROAD PERFORMANCE”. THERE IS NO “INABILITY TO PLAY AWAY FROM THE CLINK” AND THERE HASN’T BEEN ALL YEAR LONG. WITH THAT SAID, THIS WEEKEND MY PREDICTION IS

45-15 SEATTLE OVER THE RAMS.

GET USED TO THIS ANGRY BIRDS, THIS TEAM COULD BE IT!! I CAN SEE US MAKING A DEEP PLAYOFF RUN WITH THE LEVEL OF CONSISTENCY SO FAR.

Oh my god, the red is hard to read on blue.. gosh my eyes are hurting.

seahawks08

Reaction score
There are a few variable that affect road games in general. Crowd noise and pass rushing is a step behind and the energy level from the crowd is not there. Fatigue is also one for 10 am games, it is a real thing compared to the later games like the Buffalo one. If you notice when we struggled in Miami, the team looked tired and the weather and humidity does affect the speed of a game. If you notice, Seahawks is built around speed, so even if the defense is beat a little bit, they make up for it by speed and getting to the ball quickly. in situations like weather, crowd noise, jet lag, early east coast games, you are a step behind the normal game you are used to playing and this affects playing on the road. Of course I will be convinced is the seahawks can go on the road and play a 10 am game and still blow out an opponent, which would then tell me that the team has truly over come all odds and now is unbeatable. Having a young team or a veteran team has its pros and cons, but I still love being a young team, however there are certain things that you can't overcome.. Hopefully having RW in the center can overcome those shortcomings.

chris98251

Reaction score
Until we take the stigma off of us with a win that is of significant nature we will carry that Monkey, we have a history that is fact, until we correct it we will hear about it. It can be done and it will take a repetitive combination of seasons putting up wins to wipe it off the mind set of the media.

TJH

Reaction score
We haven't done much to make anyone think otherwise. Losing to the Lions and Dolphins and accumulating a 3-5 road record is not good.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
It's statistical truth that this year's edition of the Seahawks (the only one that should possibly be looked at for predictive value going forward into the playoffs) has been a little on the lucky side for their home record to be wha tit is, and a little on the unlucky side for their road record to be as poor as it is. Most people don't like to chalk anything up to expected statistical variance though, nor do they like to leave games from prior years out of the conversation when they truly have almost no predictive value whatsoever for how this current team will do going forward, but...yeah, I definitely think that our team has been decent on the road, trending toward really good with the last two performances, and especially with the team's youth, in-season improvement says a lot about what will go on next week (since the early loss in Arizona, for example, doesn't seem at all to be a representative sample of much of anything at this point).

Wins and losses can be pretty damn misleading as predictors of future events, especially considering the small sample size of games we're always working from.

Tattooedseahawk

Reaction score
Until Seattle wins on the road in the playoffs, we will still hear this as much as the Falcons will hear about them not having won in the playoffs or if Houston will be able to do it in the playoffs.

It doesn't bother me. The players just need to prepare to battle in all stadiums. The good thing is the team plays an offensive and defensive style that should work in all environments.

BASF

Reaction score
Here is the stat that I find more telling than anything else in regards to our home and road performances: fourth quarter leads lost at home is 1; fourth quarter leads lost on the road is 4. In the home game we came back to win. Only one of the 4 on the road had us getting a victory. That is not playing as well on the road. The thing is that it is standard in football. The teams that the media and fans recognize as the better teams in the league are the ones who can win on the road.

Latest posts