Come On Hawks Fans. We're Better Than This.

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • A few idiots don't make a fan base
    60 percent of the time..........it works........every time
    User avatar
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2616
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • Some of you want to come over here and watch a football game. That'd be a real eye opener. You'd be lucky to come away with hurt feelings if you walked into a football stadium wearing the opposition jersey. It's simple really - don't wear a Niners jersey. The day you stop a vast minority of football fans among a 70K crowd swearing at a game is the day you ban alcohol from the city on game day and achieve a degree of world peace.
    User avatar
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7926
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:13 am


  • The most mess I've ever talked to a fellow fan was "hey bro your team is trash, I'm sorry" that was the beat down we put on Philly last season.
    Image
    3elieve
    User avatar
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *
     
    Posts: 18759
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:02 am
    Location: Graham, WA


  • Two unsolicited e-mails started this? That seems low.

    When I've worn the wrong colors/gear to games I've always expected and gotten verbal abuse, most of it in good nature, much of the rest by fans who should avoid alcohol.

    Dressing your kids up to away games or razzing kids is stupid/wrong.
    User avatar
    AVL
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 312
    Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 4:11 am


  • How embarrassing. I would like to think we are better than this. It's only a game. I have had this stuff happen to me years ago at a raider game. Not fun.
    User avatar
    Termite
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 60
    Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:20 pm


  • Imagine what the atmosphere would be like at an NFL game if they sold Marijuana instead of Alcohol. So, instead of paying seven to ten bucks for a 16 oz plastic bottle of beer, you would pay the same amount for some fresh Indica* tightly rolled up in a joint. Yeah, I know this would never happen. Not in my lifetime anyway. But if you could just imagine all the folks who consume enough alcohol to lose self-control, sometimes violently; If you could just imagine those people smoked marijuana at the game instead of drinking. How much more enjoyable the games would be. Of course there would be a smoking and non-smoking section.

    I don't think selling and allowing the consumption of marijuana at Century Link would be good though. The 12th Man wouldn't be as loud. Everyone would either be in line to buy junk food, or they'd be sitting silently in their seats, eating junk food. If Century Link were the first stadium in the NFL to distribute and allow the consumption of marijuana. The Clink would no longer be the loudest stadium in the league, it would be the most silent. Perhaps even in the world. The only noise would be from the field and the occasional giggling of some 'first time smoker' in the seats.



    * FYI - Indica is a species of Cannabis that has a higher Cannabidiol:THC ratio, which causes more relaxation and even has an anxiolytic [anti-anxiety] effect. Unlike Cannabis "Sativa" which has a higher THC:Cannabidiol ratio. Sativa is more popular in Marijuana's black market, most likely because its easier to grow and maintain than Indica (or so i've been told by friends that grow, legally). Anyway, Sativa is known for having more of a cerebral high, which smokers often call a 'head high', while India is a 'body high'. Not sure about the reasoning behind this, I rarely smoke, but when I do it's all the same to me. I do notice more paranoia with Sativa than Indica though..

    Sorry for the lesson on pot species, haha.. Not necessary, but i'm a bit bored. If you couldn't already tell.
    ~ The Stache'
    User avatar
    Zowert
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1990
    Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:29 pm
    Location: Seattle


  • CallMeADawg wrote:Let us just be the best football team, with the classiest fans in the country. Please, that is who we are. Save your rage for cheering on the fantastic product on the field.

    Thanks,
    Guy that reads and never posts. :)


    That.
    User avatar
    Tailspin Hawk Fan
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 161
    Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:17 am


  • SoulfishHawk wrote:A few idiots don't make a fan base


    I second this.

    But its more like a few thousand. Out of the 67,000 that CenturyLink Field seats, I would estimate (from my experience at 25+ games at Clink/Qwest), that at least 7,000 of those people are drunk and somewhat out of control. Playoff games can be even worse. I've only been to three playoff games in Seattle, but every one of them, I saw at least twice as many people out of control than a regular season home game.
    ~ The Stache'
    User avatar
    Zowert
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1990
    Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:29 pm
    Location: Seattle


  • That's it? One letter? No one hurt? Just some feelings ruffled from an opposing teams fan who admits to retaliating to seemingly every comment?

    Well considering an evening game, alchohal that had likely been getting consumed for multiple hours before the game even started and against our biggest rival (and well known most vocal shit talkers themselves) in a highly heated event with very heavy implications between two smash mouth teams that obviously hate each other, the best the Seattle times can come up with is a disgruntled Niner fan who admittedly retaliated on several occasion?

    I think some are blowing this out of proportion. If you believe a completely emotionless free environment is possible while also being known as the loudest and rowdiest crowd in the league. I think your really reaching.

    I would feel different if there was a large volume of complaints or there were actual acts of violence but that is not the case. This is one isolated complaint that we have no idea how much is exaggerated or blown out of proportion, let alone how much of it was brought on by the person complaining.

    Chastising an entire fan base (one known for it's emotional input) because one person complained is over the top. I have heard way to many good stories from opposing teams fans about their experience in Seattle to believe we are all just drunken/ignorant thugs. If you really believe there should be zero ribbing at games with opposing teams fans then by all means, stay home.
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2902
    Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 7:26 am


  • I have seen every one of these things happen. Rarely is it physical. Too much in your face yelling though.

    But it is not the majority. We as fans need to do a better job of keeping it to boos as opposing fans walk by. Less in your face and less dropping f bombs.
    CornerHawk
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 105
    Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:04 am


  • SharkHawk wrote:

    Nothing like that should happen anywhere, but the OP simply said, "Come on Hawk Fans, We're Better Than This". I couldn't agree more. But after reading some of the responses.... maybe we're not better than this. Maybe some are, but apparently a lot think it's a-ok and to be expected. I see fans of teams I dislike wearing their jerseys everyday. I'm glad there is interest in the NFL and that there are rivals who buy tickets, who make it so that somebody wants to broadcast the games, and that provide cities like Seattle with the taxes needed to build such a fantastic stadium. As I said before.... that wasn't just Seahawks fans paying for that stadium. In fact, a large percentage of it was tourist dollars (and still is). That doesn't mean I think they should be carried into the stadium like kings, but maybe we can let them attend a game without worrying about death. Sadly it will take something awful beyond awful before a lot of minds are changed, and it's a matter of time. It's like an earthquake or a volcanic eruption. You can feel it building. Stadium violence is on the rise and it's a matter of time before it happens in Seattle and maybe some eyes will open to what is a serious problem. I hope like crazy it never happens, but I'm afraid we're kind of at the point of no return here, and then lots of folks will have answers about how to fix it. I'd love it if we had those answers now rather than after a woman, child, or even a full grown man has to experience it.


    Hey you know what? As Hawk fans we are better than this year. As real Hawk fans we don't act like that. So stop trying to pretend that the entire fan base is out of control, and yes that is what you are acting like.

    You know who does crap like this? Drunk jackasses who aren't even real fans, just morons looking for excuses to be drunk fools in public. The ones who yell at fans like that (I've only seen this on a few occasions and none to the level of that lady who wrote to the garbage times) and yeah, one time I did step in and tell the "hawk" fan to cool it. Don't tell us how we should feel and act when you don't know how we feel and act.

    I just don't believe this story happened the way it was written. I've been a season ticket holder in the 300's section and have been to plenty of games in the 100's section too, never have I ever seen anything close to what she described. So ya, we are better than that.
    SUPERBOWL!!
    User avatar
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1650
    Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:46 pm


  • Aros wrote:Sigh. Just add alcohol sadly enough. And Testosterone. Not a great combo when their pal Bravado shows up. I've had my share of fun at the games, even times where I tipped a bit back more than I care to admit, but I can't imagine being this out of control and inhumane to other people. To be fair, this occurs in every single stadium and fanbase around the NFL every single game day, but as Seahawks fans, WE SHOULD BE BETTER THAN THIS!

    http://seattletimes.com/html/take2/2020 ... two28.html



    After reading this article, the lady who is complaining about being abused made several mistakes. You go wearing the other teams colors in a critical game, you must realize that you are going to get ribbed. When you get ribbed you just smile, accept it and go on. You do not do what this lady did repeatedly, you don't tell the people to shut up, that just makes the situation ten times worse. Nope you smile, and make subtle moves to defuse the situation.

    I have gone to a lot of road games and I tell you the way this lady reacted was completely the wrong way to go about it.
    warden
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1875
    Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:31 pm


  • 70,000 people + Alcohol = a few isolated incidents of cussing and verbal harassment according to a couple of stories that were submitted by email and cannot be confirmed?

    Wow...how does this even make the newspaper? The fact that there are that many people there and so few incidents you'd think the Times would be running a story about how relatively safe a pro football game compared to driving, going to a bar, or even taking a bath :)

    And like what others have said...you don't tell opposing fans to shut up if they cuss at you at your family. They're just cuss words...sticks and stones and all that.
    "Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force."

    - Barbie from Toy Story 3
    User avatar
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1942
    Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:47 pm


  • warden wrote:After reading this article, the lady who is complaining about being abused made several mistakes. You go wearing the other teams colors in a critical game, you must realize that you are going to get ribbed. When you get ribbed you just smile, accept it and go on. You do not do what this lady did repeatedly, you don't tell the people to shut up, that just makes the situation ten times worse. Nope you smile, and make subtle moves to defuse the situation.

    I have gone to a lot of road games and I tell you the way this lady reacted was completely the wrong way to go about it.



    I've gotta agree. My family and I went to the Titan's game in Nashville back in '05. My sister and I wore Seahawks' jerseys, my parents Titans. The worst I got was just a little ribbing, nothing big. I simply joked around with the people, and everything then just turned into light banter. It turns out, most of the Titan's fans I talked to were big fans of Shaun Alexander (it is SEC country), so maybe that had something to do with it.

    Even before the game while tailgating, it wasn't anything serious. I heard a lot of "Seahawks suck!" and "We're gonna kick ya'lls a..", but that is normal behavior. I honestly had a great time at the game, even being an opposing fan. Though, it's not like the Seahawks and Titan's are bitter rivals either.
    User avatar
    taz291819
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 3533
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:16 pm
    Location: Huntsville, Al


  • A couple years back, there was a son and his dad at Qwest field; the son must have been six or so. They came from Arizona to watch the Cardinals play the Seahawks. What a joy to watch those two as they had just witnessed the Cards hand the Hawks their hind ends and Daddy and son were just giddy. Daddy was carrying son on his shoulders....

    I couldn't help but feel good for them. I had my camera and took a couple of pictures of the two as we walked along the concourse exiting the stadium just because of the good feeling they gave me as I watched them two.

    I asked him for his email address and told him I would email him the pictures I took. Following the email I corresponded with him a couple of times........finally there was nothing to talk about anymore and I haven't heard from him since.

    I still smile as I think back on that time of my life....we aren't all that bad.
    User avatar
    captSE
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 431
    Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:45 pm
    Location: Southeast Alaska


  • This goes on in every city just about, sadly. And it goes both ways. This year at the Vikings game I sat next to one smart-ass viking fan. 10 years or so ago at the Eagles game at Husky stadium, I got quite the verbal abuse as I was in section full of Eagles fans.

    There's always good-natured ribbing, such as booing the opposing fan when they come to their seat...but there is other BS. A couple years back at the Rams game I saw two big Seahawks fans corner a a guy wearing a Rams jersey against the wall and they were screaming in his face.

    There is no need to cuss people out, especially kids. That's the worse part when it's a family with kids getting ripped.
    hawkmanj
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 299
    Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:50 am


  • I once saw a woman cut in two at a game, it was awesome! Best half time entertainment ever.
    |~=[==~||~==]=~|
    ||Tfs LnD ] [ HAWKS||
    RIP BFS. He was kind of a douche, but he was our kind of a douche.
    User avatar
    ClumsyLurk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1662
    Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:08 pm


  • This is very simple, don't show up to a Seattle game dressed in 49er gear and Duck gear. Problem solved. If you don't like being harassed, don't go, and especially don't write a letter to the Times crying about it. Period.

    The best thing about this article is hearing they won't be back.
    Seaswab
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 923
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:19 pm


  • Seaswab wrote:This is very simple, don't show up to a Seattle game dressed in 49er gear and Duck gear. Problem solved. If you don't like being harassed, don't go, and especially don't write a letter to the Times crying about it. Period.

    The best thing about this article is hearing they won't be back.

    If it is just a "few bad apples" than we can call them out and embarrass them in the act. If it's representative of a larger group/normal behavior one would find at a football game, then yeah - go into it with expectation.

    I hope she doesn't boycott Seattle for good though, because the Seahawks are just one aspect of what makes this a world class city. I suppose Vancouver folks do most of their shopping in Portland though, location and no sales tax y'know.
    |~=[==~||~==]=~|
    ||Tfs LnD ] [ HAWKS||
    RIP BFS. He was kind of a douche, but he was our kind of a douche.
    User avatar
    ClumsyLurk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1662
    Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:08 pm


  • I live in Illinois...Not proud of it, just a fact.
    I've been to see the Hawks at Soldier Field, Lambeau Field, Metrodome, and Ford Field(Yep...On that fateful day).
    I've always worn Hawks gear to these games, and people are going to spout off...
    It is how you respond to it that is the key.
    I generally end up buying the people around me a few beers, they buy me a few beers, and we talk crap about each others teams...
    When it's all said and done, we shake hands and go home...
    I can't imagine why this screeching harpy that was telling everyone to 'Shut up! had a bad time?
    User avatar
    Wartooth
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 999
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:29 pm


  • I mean don't bring your kids to a Seattle game dressed in Duck and 49er garb then be all stunned when they take a little verbal bashing. First, get a clue. Second, don't come back.

    Some of the most rude fans I've witnessed at games were dressed in another team's colors. Where's the article about them?
    Seaswab
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 923
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:19 pm


  • Aros wrote:Sigh. Just add alcohol sadly enough. And Testosterone. Not a great combo when their pal Bravado shows up. I've had my share of fun at the games, even times where I tipped a bit back more than I care to admit, but I can't imagine being this out of control and inhumane to other people. To be fair, this occurs in every single stadium and fanbase around the NFL every single game day, but as Seahawks fans, WE SHOULD BE BETTER THAN THIS!

    http://seattletimes.com/html/take2/2020 ... two28.html


    Somehow I believe the woman who wrote the letter/story is a tad sensitive to things that most of us wouldn't give a second thought to. Really, bodyguards? Sorry, I'm not buying it. She makes it sound as if at every single point of her "innocent and harmonious journey to Seattle" that her and her children were threatened and bullied. I would be skeptical of one point of incidence as she describes it, but to claim multiple incidents involving different people causing her to fear for her physical safety just sounds like a lie.

    Adults picking on a 14 year old before the game started? And then to throw in the part about her son never wanting to go to a pro game again. Tell me this, would anyone of you stand by while drunken adults terrorized a 14 year old? I doubt it. The secretary's story wreaks of exaggeration just shy of flat out bullshit!
    User avatar
    SoCalSeahawk
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 310
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:15 pm


  • As a life long Seahawks fan who went to his first home game....at the first home game in 1977, Things HAVE really changed. I was 11 years old during my first season with the Seahawks. My parents felt it was totally ok to buy our family season tickets and take me to every game, where their largest worry was strategic parking before the game. They had no worry that I would be exposed to rude fan behavior, or that some drunken fan would throw up on us. In fact, I can remember no specific incidents of bad fan behavior from Home fans or visiting fans. In fact, we had a KC Chiefs fan sit in front of us one game early on.....and 10 years later that same fan sat in the same seat and my dad greeted him like a lost friend and they bantered back and fourth the whole game....all in good fun. We were ALL fans of football. We held those seats until they brought the place down.

    Since those days, our entire culture has changed..... This is not just a football fan issue. This is a larger issue. It has become ok to yell and ridicule people. It has become ok to be disrespectful to women. It has become totally ok to publicly shame another person. I see this behavior most often with the under 25 crowd. Trashing another person on facebook, or twitter or a message board is the new normal........My 18 year old daughter says its fun. Is anyone surprised this behavior then comes out in public, with total strangers....where it is easy to be anonymous hiding behind a fan jersey in a stadium full of 65,000 other people? Man, I don't. It's shameful really.

    You can call me old, or stupid, or nostalgic or whatever the hell you want....but I think everyone should be able to experience being a fan. The game day experience is what made me into a lifelong Seahawks fan. I don't want parents to not want to take their kids to a game because they are worried. Now....with that said, I would not take an 11 year old to an away game. I expect a certain amount of ribbing, and a run in or two with a guy who has had too much. I can deal with this just fine....and have most recently at Mile High Stadium a couple of years ago.

    It just comes down to treating people the way you would want to be treated. Unfortunately, that's a pretty low level for some.
    Image
    Twitter: @NWSeahawk
    User avatar
    impacthawk
    * NET Alumni *
     
    Posts: 170
    Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:17 pm
    Location: West Linn, OR


  • Disappointing to read that, but at the same time I think that lady is exaggerating about there being more abusive people than nice people. The last time I went to a game was the 2010 season opener. There was a lot of talking back and forth the security kicked people out left and right but for the most part the majority of fans were well behaved. After the game the 49er fans wouldn't shut up, one group kept harassing everyone. A Seahawks fan told him to go home, and the Niner fan shoved him - it was broken up immediately. Another group was in a couple's ear because the girl was in a Niner jersey and the guy a Seahawks jersey. One 49er fan kept saying, "You're pissing me off. You want to fight?". Even though the Seahawks fan never talked, the girl looked terrified. I noticed a Renton cop who was off-duty (I just recognized him from around town) and he was there to walk between them to make sure nothing bad happened. NFL fans be pretty crazy.
    bellyfat
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 403
    Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:56 am


  • Hawkfan77 wrote:
    SharkHawk wrote:

    Nothing like that should happen anywhere, but the OP simply said, "Come on Hawk Fans, We're Better Than This". I couldn't agree more. But after reading some of the responses.... maybe we're not better than this. Maybe some are, but apparently a lot think it's a-ok and to be expected. I see fans of teams I dislike wearing their jerseys everyday. I'm glad there is interest in the NFL and that there are rivals who buy tickets, who make it so that somebody wants to broadcast the games, and that provide cities like Seattle with the taxes needed to build such a fantastic stadium. As I said before.... that wasn't just Seahawks fans paying for that stadium. In fact, a large percentage of it was tourist dollars (and still is). That doesn't mean I think they should be carried into the stadium like kings, but maybe we can let them attend a game without worrying about death. Sadly it will take something awful beyond awful before a lot of minds are changed, and it's a matter of time. It's like an earthquake or a volcanic eruption. You can feel it building. Stadium violence is on the rise and it's a matter of time before it happens in Seattle and maybe some eyes will open to what is a serious problem. I hope like crazy it never happens, but I'm afraid we're kind of at the point of no return here, and then lots of folks will have answers about how to fix it. I'd love it if we had those answers now rather than after a woman, child, or even a full grown man has to experience it.


    Hey you know what? As Hawk fans we are better than this year. As real Hawk fans we don't act like that. So stop trying to pretend that the entire fan base is out of control, and yes that is what you are acting like.

    You know who does crap like this? Drunk jackasses who aren't even real fans, just morons looking for excuses to be drunk fools in public. The ones who yell at fans like that (I've only seen this on a few occasions and none to the level of that lady who wrote to the garbage times) and yeah, one time I did step in and tell the "hawk" fan to cool it. Don't tell us how we should feel and act when you don't know how we feel and act.

    I just don't believe this story happened the way it was written. I've been a season ticket holder in the 300's section and have been to plenty of games in the 100's section too, never have I ever seen anything close to what she described. So ya, we are better than that.


    Uh huh. Ok, thanks for setting me straight. I could care less if they are drunk jackasses or real fans. What happened to Bryan Stow happened in the Dodgers Stadium parking lot, and it doesn't matter if that was done by "fans" or "drunk jackasses". Either way he suffered brain damage and nearly died.

    All I am saying is that Seattle is quickly heading this way. I've been to games in many different decades and it is very clearly getting worse, even as security and technology for security is getting better by leaps and bounds, they still aren't keeping up with the fighting and worse that is going on. They can't keep up as it's getting worse.

    I always thought Seattle was better than that. I remember leaving the stadium and actually being let out by another driver and seeing how quickly the stadium cleared. People would wave each other through, tell them when it was clear, etc. I also saw everybody obeying the traffic lights... both pedestrians and vehicles. And interestingly enough, that same attitude seemed to take place in the stadium. Now I see less and less of each thing. That's all I'm saying. When you start spiraling downward, it is very hard to make a comeback and get out of such a mess. But what do I know? Not much apparently. Apparently it is all because a fan of a team has the nerve to wear the "colors" (WTF?! Is this 1992 in Compton? PLEASE!!!) of their team and they "have it coming." Just stupid.
    Image
    R.I.P. Dad. I miss you. You will never be forgotten
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    User avatar
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *
     
    Posts: 3883
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:47 am


  • theENGLISHseahawk wrote:It's simple really - don't wear 49ers jersey's at Century Link.

    Don't draw attention to yourself.


    :34853_doh:

    That's so ridiculous.

    I hate the Niners .. but they have every right to support their team, home or away, if they spend their hard earned money to see them. There is friendly trash talk and there is harassment/abuse. If the story told by this Niner fan is true.. it's downright shameful she had that type of experience.

    I've seen Seattle play on the road in SF, Phoenix and Denver - I had fans give me shit.. I gave it back.. but it was all just good natured trash talk. That's all that should happen anywhere. Like Aros said.. we should be better than this. Much better.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    User avatar
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *
     
    Posts: 4636
    Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 4:55 pm


  • SoCalSeahawk wrote:
    Aros wrote:Sigh. Just add alcohol sadly enough. And Testosterone. Not a great combo when their pal Bravado shows up. I've had my share of fun at the games, even times where I tipped a bit back more than I care to admit, but I can't imagine being this out of control and inhumane to other people. To be fair, this occurs in every single stadium and fanbase around the NFL every single game day, but as Seahawks fans, WE SHOULD BE BETTER THAN THIS!

    http://seattletimes.com/html/take2/2020 ... two28.html


    Somehow I believe the woman who wrote the letter/story is a tad sensitive to things that most of us wouldn't give a second thought to. Really, bodyguards? Sorry, I'm not buying it. She makes it sound as if at every single point of her "innocent and harmonious journey to Seattle" that her and her children were threatened and bullied. I would be skeptical of one point of incidence as she describes it, but to claim multiple incidents involving different people causing her to fear for her physical safety just sounds like a lie.

    Adults picking on a 14 year old before the game started? And then to throw in the part about her son never wanting to go to a pro game again. Tell me this, would anyone of you stand by while drunken adults terrorized a 14 year old? I doubt it. The secretary's story wreaks of exaggeration just shy of flat out bullshit!


    Agreed. I would never stand by and just watch as some douche gets in a kids face. Im calling Bull.
    Image
    "God Bless Russell Wilson"
    User avatar
    Chukarhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1520
    Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:14 pm


  • The Seattle Mariners: Plenty of good seats still available.

    Might be more to her liking.
    60 percent of the time..........it works........every time
    User avatar
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2616
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • Wartooth wrote:I live in Illinois...Not proud of it, just a fact.
    I've been to see the Hawks at Soldier Field, Lambeau Field, Metrodome, and Ford Field(Yep...On that fateful day).
    I've always worn Hawks gear to these games, and people are going to spout off...
    It is how you respond to it that is the key.
    I generally end up buying the people around me a few beers, they buy me a few beers, and we talk crap about each others teams...
    When it's all said and done, we shake hands and go home...
    I can't imagine why this screeching harpy that was telling everyone to 'Shut up! had a bad time?


    This sums it up pretty well. I've taken crap from hostile fans; I just ignore it and nothing comes of it. I'm sure the opportunity for escalation existed if I did otherwise.

    My favorite was in Cleveland when a Browns fan yelled at me, "Go back to Seattle!" I laughed pretty damn hard and refrained from saying, "You think there's any chance that I'm going to choose to STAY in Cleveland?" What a hellhole of a city.
    User avatar
    MidwestHawker
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1245
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:26 am
    Location: Indianapolis


  • theENGLISHseahawk wrote:It's simple really - don't wear 49ers jersey's at Century Link.

    Don't draw attention to yourself.

    This may be the way to go, but if so, it shouldn't have to be. Anyone should be free to wear their favorite team gear in any stadium. It's a game for crying out loud. They paid good money for their tickets, plus travel cost, etc. They are a guest in Seattle and at C-Link and should be treated as such. Joking that their team is going to get smashed, obliterated and eviscerated by the Hawks is one thing, screaming f bombs in people's faces is something else entirely.
    Help bring peace to the South LA / Puget Sound communities. Are you in?
    http://www.abetterla.org | http://www.abetterseattle.com
    User avatar
    sc85sis
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 4518
    Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:40 am
    Location: Southern CA


  • hedgehawk wrote:That article is a joke. Go to a Mariner game instead. Or how about dressing in normal clothing instead of being decked out in opposing teams gear. My dad is a Rams fan and we go every year to the home and away game (except this year) and one of us always dresses in civilian clothing. Me in ST Louis and him here in Seattle, never had a problem. I do agree if you see things happening, like people getting physical, you should step in and try to help if you can. People yelling at you though...gimme a break.


    I agree with this. I think there's a level of decorum and respect that you need to show when in an opposing team's stadium, and problems happen when this respect isn't given.

    I've been to many games at the Clink since 2002, and it's almost always harmless ribbing happening. Lets see these same 49ers fans go to Oakland Colliseum and see what a REAL hostile crowd is like. In short: these people need to grow a pair.
    BWRyan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 687
    Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:35 am


  • My wife and I attended the Hawks / Vikings game earlier this year. I was wearing my Seahawks ( Alexander ) jersey and she was wearing a Vikings jersey. We had lots of people from both sides make good humored comments to us about our mixed colors. No problems whatsoever.
    If this crap (article) is happening, well, these people need to understand that it is just a game and that the game would not be possible without an opponent. Stay classy people.
    User avatar
    montanahawk
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 11
    Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:15 am


  • Hey Midwest, funny you mention the Cleveland thing. We had someone yell to us "go back to Seattle" We simply responded "Gladly"
    60 percent of the time..........it works........every time
    User avatar
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2616
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • I have always found the opposing fans at the Clink more out of line then the locals.
    Image
    User avatar
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *
     
    Posts: 9071
    Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:40 am
    Location: Granite Falls, WA


  • I don't know. I have only been to one game and it was against the niners and their fans were the ones talking. I feel the woman a Niners fan maybe hyped up what really happened. She could be sore about the loss or the fact that we all know that their stadium has more issues with other teams visiting than most places. But if it is true I hope it stops. I know the Hawks have been looked at as weak and pathetic for a long time but lets keep it on the field and let the players do the beating.
    If .NET did not exist I would get so much more work done during the day!
    HawkinNY
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 239
    Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:12 am
    Location: Albany, NY


  • Most of you have cell phones with cameras. There are also microphones available for cell phones. I suggest you use them. Document and help security do their jobs.
    User avatar
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *
     
    Posts: 3221
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:49 pm


  • SoulfishHawk wrote:Hey Midwest, funny you mention the Cleveland thing. We had someone yell to us "go back to Seattle" We simply responded "Gladly"


    Haha. Seriously never going back to that city unless my job requires it for some reason.
    User avatar
    MidwestHawker
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1245
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:26 am
    Location: Indianapolis


  • What a hole in the wall that city is, wow. I won't even go into some of the stuff that was said to me at halftime when we had the lead. Brutal. Now Chicago, that was an entirely different level.
    60 percent of the time..........it works........every time
    User avatar
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2616
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • Chicago fans are awful. Too bad, because unlike Cleveland they've got a great city. But the sports fans are hideous and I auto-root against Chicago in everything now because those people deserve to walk around in a stupid drunken haze wondering what just hit them after every game.

    Also went to Seahawks-Colts here in Indy three years ago, Colts fans were cool. And I've been to St. Louis, fully expecting (even hoping) to hate their fans, but they were actually cool people as well.
    User avatar
    MidwestHawker
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1245
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:26 am
    Location: Indianapolis


  • I loved the city of Chicago, so much to do. I have a ton of relatives out there too. We did the Colts game too, incredible fans. They were so friendly, and the stadium was pretty mellow. We were just Peyton's next victim. Maybe the best fans I've been around for a road game, right up there with Miami and Denver.
    60 percent of the time..........it works........every time
    User avatar
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2616
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • Whats the real story. A group of 36 huh. Sounds like some whinners bit off more then they could chew. Sorray foya :angry017:
    User avatar
    garydrake425
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 902
    Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:28 am
    Location: Everett, Wa


  • This the NFL, thats 32 teams, you should be able to support your team at any venue without worrieing about living to tell about it. Ribbing and sarcasm is fine, making it a personal issue is not. I have been to playoff games in the Kingdome, Monday Night Games against the Raiders and never seen this type of behavior, been a long time since I was at an actual regular season game. In those days it was about the game and experience and having fun. Opposing fans made it that much more enjoyable when it was competitive ribbing.

    Being able to wear opposing colors and supporting the team you choose is not an invitation to be beat up, cornered, have shit thrown at you.

    Where if that group of 36 was all together and the 49ers jerseys in mass may appear as a great heckle target, kids and descretion should be thought of as if your kids were there.

    Now saying that and since there was not itr sounds more and more like young punks in a group feeling like they were all that and didn't have kids to think about what they were actually doing.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Used to be an Alumni till they pulled a USC on me...
    .Net official Clueless, Dumbass, Douche, Simpleton, CensoredTard , Idiot, member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 9686
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


  • Not that it excuses any behavior but these kids were 14. When I was 14 I would have loved to have guys cuss at me and insult my team. I would have smiled, laughed and loved every minute.
    Image
    User avatar
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 18497
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:35 pm
    Location: Milwaukie, Oregon


  • JSeahawks wrote:Not that it excuses any behavior but these kids were 14. When I was 14 I would have loved to have guys cuss at me and insult my team. I would have smiled, laughed and loved every minute.


    Well in these days of coddleing and your special type parenting many are sheltered from the actual world by their parents. It's a shock to see what reality is and it's ugly side.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Used to be an Alumni till they pulled a USC on me...
    .Net official Clueless, Dumbass, Douche, Simpleton, CensoredTard , Idiot, member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 9686
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


  • pinksheets wrote:There's always going to be a few bad apples that really cross the line, that's unfortunate.

    I do want opposing fans to feel unwelcome in our house, though. I don't want them there.

    The above says it all IMHO. A few forty whiner fans crying, at least no one got stabbed unlike candledump. To the story, meh whatever! Odds are its full of exaggerating and half truths, and I hardly doubt they are the innocent victims they claim to be. If you are wearing enemy colors into an opposing stadium and don't expect to get harassed a little then you are naive. More than likely a few butthurt whiner fans still bitter over their team being completely dominated and embarrassed on national tv.
    42-13, 29-3, and 23-17 and a Lombardi trophy from THIS millennium.....deal with it niner trolls

    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!
    User avatar
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 10731
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:36 pm
    Location: Lombardi Land


  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    pinksheets wrote:There's always going to be a few bad apples that really cross the line, that's unfortunate.

    I do want opposing fans to feel unwelcome in our house, though. I don't want them there.

    The above says it all IMHO. A few forty whiner fans crying, at least no one got stabbed unlike candledump. To the story, meh whatever! Odds are its full of exaggerating and half truths, and I hardly doubt they are the innocent victims they claim to be. If you are wearing enemy colors into an opposing stadium and don't expect to get harassed a little then you are naive. More than likely a few butthurt whiner fans still bitter over their team being completely dominated and embarrassed on national tv.



    "enemy" colors... because THIS IS WAR!!!

    ffs... whats naive is that a bunch of idiots think that when they're at a sporting event (an entertainment venue by the way) that they are somehow inclined to act like idiots.

    Regardless of whether this story is true or not, it happens. Regardless of whether someone was stabbed or not, the idea that we need to "protect this house" and make the opposing fans feel uncomfortable through verbal abuse reeks of immaturity.

    Seahawk fans, if you value the 12th man and the gameday experience, understand that this behavior was an extensive part of the fan experience in the English Premier League... now the opposing teams fans get cordoned off sections with police escorts, tickets are priced out of average fans monetary means, roudy fans lose their season tickets... forever, alcohol is often banned.

    As the OP said, clean it up. be loud. have fun (its a party after all) but lose the mentality that you are somehow involved in the physical battle between the two teams. Crowd noise impacted the game. acting like bullies to 14 year old kids didnt. its not your inherent right to intimidate other human beings because they were "naive" enough to support their team by wearing a uniform to a game. ridiculous
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4630
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


  • I question the validity of this story.
    Member formally known as AC59
    User avatar
    Jiggy
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2145
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:03 am


  • The whole "colors" thing just sounds so moronic. It's a gang war at a Seahawks game? A gang war where games cost too much for the average person to attend? You're talking hundreds of dollars after it's all said and done to get a decent seat, parking, some food, lodging, etc. etc. if you're coming from out of town, and yet people are acting like they are armed soldiers attending a by invitation only war on a Sunday afternoon in a billion dollar park. Give it a rest with the Under Armour commercial bullcrap. It's a game.
    Image
    R.I.P. Dad. I miss you. You will never be forgotten
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    User avatar
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *
     
    Posts: 3883
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:47 am


  • As always when this topic comes up, it is primarily those who never travel alone and outside the safety of home and the crowd of majority who condone and promote this kind of barbarism.

    Get your ass caught in someone else's web and watch how you twitch and hope for a just and compassionate stranger.
    Last edited by bestfightstory on Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    "Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
    "BFS is kicking ass in here." -kearly (8/9/2013)
    User avatar
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *
     
    Posts: 8511
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:13 pm


  • impacthawk wrote:As a life long Seahawks fan who went to his first home game....at the first home game in 1977, Things HAVE really changed. I was 11 years old during my first season with the Seahawks. My parents felt it was totally ok to buy our family season tickets and take me to every game, where their largest worry was strategic parking before the game. They had no worry that I would be exposed to rude fan behavior, or that some drunken fan would throw up on us. In fact, I can remember no specific incidents of bad fan behavior from Home fans or visiting fans. In fact, we had a KC Chiefs fan sit in front of us one game early on.....and 10 years later that same fan sat in the same seat and my dad greeted him like a lost friend and they bantered back and fourth the whole game....all in good fun. We were ALL fans of football. We held those seats until they brought the place down.

    Since those days, our entire culture has changed..... This is not just a football fan issue. This is a larger issue. It has become ok to yell and ridicule people. It has become ok to be disrespectful to women. It has become totally ok to publicly shame another person. I see this behavior most often with the under 25 crowd. Trashing another person on facebook, or twitter or a message board is the new normal........My 18 year old daughter says its fun. Is anyone surprised this behavior then comes out in public, with total strangers....where it is easy to be anonymous hiding behind a fan jersey in a stadium full of 65,000 other people? Man, I don't. It's shameful really.

    You can call me old, or stupid, or nostalgic or whatever the hell you want....but I think everyone should be able to experience being a fan. The game day experience is what made me into a lifelong Seahawks fan. I don't want parents to not want to take their kids to a game because they are worried. Now....with that said, I would not take an 11 year old to an away game. I expect a certain amount of ribbing, and a run in or two with a guy who has had too much. I can deal with this just fine....and have most recently at Mile High Stadium a couple of years ago.

    It just comes down to treating people the way you would want to be treated. Unfortunately, that's a pretty low level for some.


    "You can call me old, or stupid, or nostalgic or whatever ..." No, I call you wise and it's worth repeating. You hit it on the head --- it's the new culture of I can say and do whatever I want because I don't give a $hit about anyone else --- just like facebook, twitter etc.

    This "defending our home turf" is BS -- let the guys on the field take care of business.
    User avatar
    Tailspin Hawk Fan
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 161
    Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:17 am


PreviousNext


It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:16 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information