Fox Sports Steal Of The 2012 Draft

Hawkspur

Reaction score
And steal of the 2011 draft...has to be Richard Sherman. Go Hawks!

Steve2222

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":2yi5c5ek said:
One of those dudes thinks Wilson is a system QB. That pisses me off.
He's just a guy who obviously hasn't watched a seahawks game this year. Really he's talking up Darrell Bevell? Lol.

PGunning101

Reaction score
System QB?

NC State, Wisconsin, here, everywhere he goes... Russell Wilson is the system.

Smoke

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":3iwut6i9 said:

From the same juggernaught system that brought us 2010 Hasselbeck and 2011 TJ!? Monster system.....

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":3d91fq03 said:

Yeah, well he's making Bevell's 'system' look awefully good right now, so in that respect...

sc85sis

Reaction score
He's only a system QB in the sense that Pete tweaked the offense to emphasize Russell's strengths. Of course that's what a good coach is supposed to do no matter who the player is...

JSeahawks

Reaction score
"System Quarterback" is one of the phrases in sports that I wish would just go away. Its a cop out in my opinion. Russell Wilson is doing great because he's a damn good QB and our coaches are doing a good job of putting him in position to succeed.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Peter Schrager, on the next clip they ask who he would want of the 1st and 2nd year QB's if he were building a team right now and he said Cam Newton. I like Cam but come on, dude has been completely exposed. Schrager even acknowledges his maturity issues and say's a good coach could cure that in a snap. Sorry but maturity issues are a player problem and having them means you also lack leadership any many other tools that go with being a franchise QB.

blkhwk

Reaction score
I don't care if he is a "system QB" or a "game manager he is damn good! The system QB has ran three different systems in three years, and ran them all very well.

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
Newton is pure talent and that's it. He has zero leadership ability. No one really wants to put out effort on his behalf.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
sc85sis":1q3k0uig said:
He's only a system QB in the sense that Pete tweaked the offense to emphasize Russell's strengths. Of course that's what a good coach is supposed to do no matter who the player is...

And in that sense, every QB is a system QB.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":2oyiomez said:
Hell yeah!, that guy is a hair brain.
Two TD's away from Rookie ALL TIME TD's ,,, a mid 3rd round draft pick,You kidding me?!?!

John Schneider, Pete Carroll,,,OH, and Chuck Gruden, are ALL looking like geniuses.
Oh, and "System Quarterback"?, Russell Wilson IS a "System Quarterback", it's called the "Russell Wilson System", I have doubt's that there are many Quarterbacks that can run Wilsons "System" like RW does, because it isn't just his physical skills that make it work, being cerebraly gifted (is that a word?) can not be Coached to the near perfection that RW has.
Not just anybody can put it all together so thoroughly ESPECIALLY at his Rookie stage.
Bevel knows he's struck paydirt, as guys like Wilson just don't happen along but once in a lifetime, IF YOU'RE LUCKY.
It's one thing to draw up plays for a Quarterback, it's quite another to see it unfold beyond expectations.

parson420

Reaction score
Lol. That wasn't a debate. It was "state your opinion." If it were a debate, I'm sure the guy who supported Wilson would have asked "So if there were a redraft, who would the Dolphins rather have 8th overall?"

EDIT: Oh, and the Panthers would much rather have Kuechly than Levonte David.

Levonte David. Ha. Wasn't that guy taken shortly after Bobby Wagner? And we know how great Wagner is!

kearly

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3o4r9c62 said:
"System Quarterback" is one of the phrases in sports that I wish would just go away. Its a cop out in my opinion. Russell Wilson is doing great because he's a damn good QB and our coaches are doing a good job of putting him in position to succeed.

Wilson is a system QB. But so is Drew Brees and Tom Brady. They need to play in an offense that is tailored to overcome a weakness. Doesn't mean they aren't among the best QBs to ever walk the planet.

MontanaHawk05":3o4r9c62 said:
And in that sense, every QB is a system QB.

Not really. Most NFL QBs have the minimal amount of height, arm strength, and mobility to play in any system. A few (like Brees, Wilson, Vick, Brady, and arguably Manning, etc) have to play in a very specific kind of offense to be their best.

Brady and Manning lack mobility. New England works around that problem with an elite pass protecting line. Denver/Indy worked around that problem with Manning because Manning is maybe the best QB in history at unloading the ball in less than 3 seconds- so they constructed quick hit offenses.

Brees, Vick, and Wilson play in an offense that is tailored to adjust for height. These QBs are not asked to do quick hits or 3 step drops. If they were, they wouldn't have as much success. Particularly Wilson and Vick who unlike Brees does not rely on timing routes very often. Wilson takes his time and goes through reads instead.

Of course, if the guy is suggesting that Wilson is a product of the system he plays in (see Alex Smith), then he's laughably wrong.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
kearly":2hwev5sq said:
JSeahawks":2hwev5sq said:

Wilson is a system QB. But so is Drew Brees and Tom Brady. They need to play in an offense that is tailored to overcome a weakness. Doesn't mean they aren't among the best QBs to ever walk the planet.

What offense do you think Wilson would NOT be successful in? I cant imagine a single team, or offense, in the NFL where he wouldnt go in and be successful.

If I remember right his offense at NC State was pro style with lots of slants and such.

kearly

Reaction score
As far as the guy picking David- I think he just did that for the sake of variety. It would be boring if he just agreed on Wilson and left it at that. Lavonte David was a great choice if you exclude Wilson from consideration.