Why so many firings? Russell Wilson part of reason why

hawksfan515

Reaction score
You may question why Russell Wilson of all players might have a hand in this, but as teams watched the Seahawks, one of the many teams in the league with a good supporting cast, but no QB, succeed with a rookie 3rd rounder while they floundered, missing the playoffs, many teams became impatient, firing a record number of head coaches and general managers.

But the officials are citing a more important factor. Owners are looking around the sport in places like Seattle, San Francisco, Washington and Indianapolis, seeing the success of young throwers and young programs, and asking why in the Hell aren't they having similar success?

The name Russell Wilson was pointed to on Monday as a grand example of why so many people got fired so quickly. Owners in places like Cleveland and Jacksonville might have been asking why didn't their franchises discover Wilson, who was the 12th pick in the third round? And how is it that a franchise like Seattle can develop him so quickly and our franchise cannot?

Andrew Luck is one thing; he was the first overall pick. But when franchises start finding franchise throwers in the third round and the failing teams do not, then someone is getting fired.

Poor Jacksonville. Drafting a punter in front of Russell Wilson? Gene Smith didn't survive long after that move.

OP
OP
hawksfan515

hawksfan515

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":ajzspd4n said:
http://www.seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=61409

That's on whether our coaches will get poached, I started a thread on how Russell Wilson's success caused a lot of firings. Kinda close though I guess, sorry if it's a little too repetitive.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Really, it's more Pete Carroll and John Schneider's success being the main causes for these firings, not RW, but I guess it's the same thing.

Edit: "main causes" is not the right word. Maybe a secondary cause, though.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Like it's Wilson's fault that other teams have lazy scouting processes.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
hawksfan515":1xsi9vm8 said:
Seahawk Sailor":1xsi9vm8 said:

That's on whether our coaches will get poached, I started a thread on how Russell Wilson's success caused a lot of firings. Kinda close though I guess, sorry if it's a little too repetitive.

He's referring to the fact that the link was posted in that thread.

OP
OP
hawksfan515

hawksfan515

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":eb1gu9qt said:
Really, it's more Pete Carroll and John Schneider's success being the main causes for these firings, not RW, but I guess it's the same thing.

Teams want that as well. They want those guys who can find talent like that. I'm sure they haven't been blind to our teams success at finding talent, they are for sure wondering how Pete Carroll went and found a guy like John Schneider, who in turn found steals like Wilson, Sherman, Kam, and hit on 1st rounders consistently.

OP
OP
hawksfan515

hawksfan515

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2x9vj9h2 said:
hawksfan515":2x9vj9h2 said:
Seahawk Sailor":2x9vj9h2 said:

He's referring to the fact that the link was posted in that thread.

ohh, oops, I missed that. My bad.

HansGruber

Reaction score
Well, a lot of them SHOULD be questioned and held responsible.

At the NFL level, you are expected to be a genius. You are expected to be the best of the best. That's how they are paid, so why shouldn't they? It's true for the players as well.

And let's face the facts here. 31 other teams passed on Russell Wilson. Some of those teams really needed a QB, and the QB position is possibly the sole factor that kept them out of the playoffs. Owners are correct in demanding that their management be able to spot potential in players like RW, and take a risk.

If you had cancer, would you hire a doctor that was aware of every possible treatment and who was willing to explore those treatment options? Or would you choose the guy who always goes by the book, never tries anything, and isn't aware of the most current research? I know who I would choose.

There is a reason why the creme of the crop are what they are. Or to paraphrase a great doctor who I once worked with:

If you only listen to "common sense", you will never achieve uncommon success.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
HansGruber":2t3vz5ur said:
Well, a lot of them SHOULD be questioned and held responsible.

At the NFL level, you are expected to be a genius. You are expected to be the best of the best. That's how they are paid, so why shouldn't they? It's true for the players as well.

And let's face the facts here. 31 other teams passed on Russell Wilson. Some of those teams really needed a QB, and the QB position is possibly the sole factor that kept them out of the playoffs. Owners are correct in demanding that their management be able to spot potential in players like RW, and take a risk.

If you had cancer, would you hire a doctor that was aware of every possible treatment and who was willing to explore those treatment options? Or would you choose the guy who always goes by the book, never tries anything, and isn't aware of the most current research? I know who I would choose.

There is a reason why the creme of the crop are what they are. Or to paraphrase a great doctor who I once worked with:

You nailed it.

PC and JS have turned around a franchise in less than 3 years, now. Its a fantastic accomplishment. One not easily duplicated, but as an owner seeing perhaps years of poor management with their own franchise, it's natural to want what other teams have, and if they aren't getting that, then it's on to the next guy.

mikeak

Reaction score
Fired by owners that in many cases would have vetoed drafting RW in the first round

Funny

mikeak

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":1mz18w0z said:
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8795520/gene-smith-jacksonville-jaguars-fired

The Jaguars fired general manager Gene Smith on Monday

Draft 2012
3rd Round 70th Pick Bryan Anger Punter Jaguars
3rd Round 75th Pick Russell Wilson QB Seahawks

Hhhhhmmmmm?? LOL

In their defense they do a lot of punting :)

Starrman44

Reaction score
Man, wouldn't it be great to have a job like Mel Kiper Jr.? No accountability required? He basically tore our last two drafts apart bit by bit and he has no danger of losing his job at all.

That's why I pay attention to Mike Mayock, Emdiggy, and the Seahawks draft blog site for draft news. I also enjoy NFL Draft countdown from time to time.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":3czbggms said:
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8795520/gene-smith-jacksonville-jaguars-fired

The Jaguars fired general manager Gene Smith on Monday

Draft 2012
3rd Round 70th Pick Bryan Anger Punter Jaguars
3rd Round 75th Pick Russell Wilson QB Seahawks

Hhhhhmmmmm?? LOL

Jaguar FO: "Wow, He must really kick the hell out of the ball with a name like that." "That short quarterback is still available?" "Nah, Let's go with the angry punter he'll fit in perfect."

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
mikeak":2wcyd59x said:
Fired by owners that in many cases would have vetoed drafting RW in the first round

Funny

This is very true. Wilson could have been the 3rd overall pick, rather than going in the third round, and they'd have gotten their money's worth. It's easy to look at it with hindsight, but his numbers in college were hugely impressive. As soon as we drafted him, I looked up his numbers; his play this year should have come as no surprise to anyone. But it's that "do it like the book" mentality that would have gotten folks canned for taking him where his play merited.

Aristotle22

Reaction score
I don't really understand where Mel Kiper came from and why he is the be-all end-all. I doubt very seriously Pete Carroll and John Schneider look to him for advice

kearly

Reaction score
HansGruber":2rwiq7o4 said:

Great analogy. Also that last part sounds a bit like my sig.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
But, but, but ... RW is only 5ft10. No QB in the history of the NFL has ever had any type of success at that height.
I strongly believe that lots of GM failures is due to networks like ESPN, FOX, NFL Network.

Does anyone of you remember what Mel Kiper said about Russell Wilson said on draft day? Well, unfortunately lots of GMs listen to crap like that.
Here are high draft pick QBs that were pushed by Mel Kiper and the ESPN crew: Tim Couch (Cleveland), first round, David Carr (Houston, first round), Brady Quinn was supposed to be a steal at #22, Jimmy Clausen was supposed to be a first round pick. Jimmy Clausen Career in Carolina: 10 starts, 3 TDs, 9INTs.
This is a great one from Mel Kiper: comparing JaMarcus Russell to John Elway ... lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZubYpplmzVk
Seahawk Sailor":1mxdyla3 said:
mikeak":1mxdyla3 said:

Funny

This is very true. Wilson could have been the 3rd overall pick, rather than going in the third round, and they'd have gotten their money's worth. It's easy to look at it with hindsight, but his numbers in college were hugely impressive. As soon as we drafted him, I looked up his numbers; his play this year should have come as no surprise to anyone. But it's that "do it like the book" mentality that would have gotten folks canned for taking him where his play merited.

Latest posts