Russell Wilson Longevity/Durability

falcongoggles

Reaction score
After last game where he was laying himself out to get first downs and watching psychobabbler's 12th fan view video of the 49ers game, I saw RW taking a lot of hits. Now, a lot of people on here have been saying that he is going to be our franchise QB for the next 10 years. I don't see him holding up that long at this pace.

Guys like Manning, Brady, Brees don't get popped as much as RW has been getting crunched as of late. It's part of RWs game to get out of the pocket and throw strikes while scrambling. Earlier in the season he was very good at sliding. The last two games he has been laying out and is exposed to the same type of knee smashing hit that got RG3. If something doesn't change, I just can't imagine a human body keeping finesse mechanics with 10 years of beatings put on it.

And I am not saying he is going to get injured anytime soon. He is built like a "mini" tank and will be fine for many years.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
falcongoggles":1enuwnew said:
And I am not saying he is going to get injured anytime soon. He is built like a "mini" tank and will be fine for many years.

Lol. So it sounds like you just convinced yourself that he will be fine. Lol

chris98251

Reaction score
He will definitly need to be careful, but as Pete says he doesn't want to run either, it just ends up that way, it's part of his game and going for those first downs is where he takes most the hits, not the busted plays where he does slide.

Sac

Reaction score
That was pretty much the only game this season where he took that kind of punishment. RW is usually really good about getting down and avoiding contact, but in case he does get hit he is built pretty thick. You can tell he puts in his time in the weight room.

OP
OP
falcongoggles

falcongoggles

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":3j94qhcy said:
falcongoggles":3j94qhcy said:

Lol. So it sounds like you just convinced yourself that he will be fine. Lol

Many - I would say between 5-8. Not up a "decade and a half" like some people have said on here.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Addressing the problem of a true franchise #1 receiver and better pass protection in the offseason should help that a ton. There's a reason guys like Manning, Brees, and Brady don't spend half the game in the turf. They have a receiver to get the ball out to quickly and just enough time to do it.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Not as concerned about RW as I would be RG3. RW has a much better build than a lot of QBs in that he's compact and sturdy. RG3, OTOH, is a long and lanky athlete and also puts himself in position for hits that can hurt him. He doesn't get down on the turf like RW does.

While RG3 is a better passer than Vick ever was I think as far as running goes he'll have similar problems with getting beat up and slowing down. RW isn't as much of a concern.

Had this conversation with some other NFL fans not too long ago and that's the general consensus for most.

OP
OP
falcongoggles

falcongoggles

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":21ujgmfc said:
Addressing the problem of a true franchise #1 receiver and better pass protection in the offseason should help that a ton. There's a reason guys like Manning, Brees, and Brady don't spend half the game in the turf. They have a receiver to get the ball out to quickly and just enough time to do it.

Yes, but it's also been stated on here multiple times that RWs game is not quick slants/strikes and getting the ball out of his hand instantly after the snap (due to his height they say) like the aforementioned QBs.

OP
OP
falcongoggles

falcongoggles

Reaction score
vin.couve12":2z6s2mdu said:
Not as concerned about RW as I would be RG3. RW has a much better build than a lot of QBs in that he's compact and sturdy. RG3, OTOH, is a long and lanky athlete and also puts himself in position for hits that can hurt him. He doesn't get down on the turf like RW does.

While RG3 is a better passer than Vick ever was I think as far as running goes he'll have similar problems with getting beat up and slowing down. RW isn't as much of a concern.

Had this conversation with some other NFL fans not too long ago and that's the general consensus for most.

Did you see the last couple of games? I completely agree with what you were saying up until two weeks ago. Since then, as stated earlier in the thread, the stretches to get first downs have been exposing RW to nasty hits (and he is the one making those stretches). I'm hoping this trend ends, but I don't see it as the playoffs are up next and he sure as hell will be laying it out to get more first downs.

HawkWow

Reaction score
I'm less concerned with Wilson getting injured while on the run than I am him getting (unexpectedly) pummeled in the pocket. After tucking the ball away, he has great vision, field awareness and understand shis importance to the team. We know this from the few plays he went down early, when it appeared he could fight for the first down. Combine this with the protection the league is offering QBs, and surrendering players, and I am fine when he runs the ball. We just need to keep him better protected when in the pocket, IMO.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
HawkWow":2qcksuyc said:
I'm less concerned with Wilson getting injured while on the run than I am him getting (unexpectedly) pummeled in the pocket. After tucking the ball away, he has great vision, field awareness and understand shis importance to the team. We know this from the few plays he went down early, when it appeared he could fight for the first down. Combine this with the protection the league is offering QBs, and surrendering players, and I am fine when he runs the ball. We just need to keep him better protected when in the pocket, IMO.
THIS!

run and shoot

Reaction score
RW is not a scrambling QB like Vick or RGIII, he has the uncanny ability to make people miss not the break away speed of either of the other two. His vision and awareness coupled with the ability to be elusive is what makes him dangerous to defenders, and the fact he never stops looking down field to get rid of the ball whenever possible. RW doesn't have brake away speed to lose. RGIII doesn't make people miss he just flat out runs them, take away his speed and your left with a pocket passer, he is too tall and lanky to be elusive.

OP
OP
falcongoggles

falcongoggles

Reaction score
For the love of all that is holy people, I am referring to the last two games in which RW took a bunch of shots reaching for first downs. This is different than the previous 14 games where he was smart at sliding, protecting himself, etc. IF this trend continues, I don't see him holding up. This is a factor as the playoffs approach and RW will be in max compete mode reaching for first downs like he has been doing RECENTLY.

Shock2k

Reaction score
We play against the 49er's, Rams and Arizona twice a year. That's the 2nd, 6th and 7th best defenses in the league. Your concern is valid over the next few seasons. Wilson in my eye, makes smart sacrifices. When it's necessary to take the hit he will take it. But he won't take the hit for example, to get 2 more yards when it's second down.

He seems to be smart about what punishment he's going to take. Now how affective the offensive line as been in keeping him protected against the pass rush is a totally different story.

VaporHawk

Reaction score
If he injures his wheels he will not be nearly as effective. Protect the wheels!

Navyhawkfan187

Reaction score
VaporHawk":3oq1nb9j said:
If he injures his wheels he will not be nearly as effective. Protect the wheels!

Don't let the Russ Bus get a flat tire!!

Fox0r

Reaction score
I do worry about Russell's ability once his scrambling legs wear down and he isn't as fast. Can he be as effective as a pocket passer?

Happypuppy

Reaction score
As long as he slides. The rules are really biased to protect the QB.

kearly

Reaction score
I don't remember him taking a big hit all game. I think the biggest hit was a hip check which worst case scenario probably left a nice bruise.

By mobile QB standards, Wilson has a phenomenal health record and that's largely based on his decision making when running. I expect that to continue.