Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Post subject: Trent Williams or Russell Okung?
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:28 pm 
* Glitter over Knives *

Thank you Washington Redskins!!!!

Post subject: Re: Trent Williams or Russell Okung?
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:30 pm 
NET Starter

They both made the probowl, so I don't think there is much of difference.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:31 pm 
NET Practice Squad

Okung didn't fit the Zone blocking scheme. If we were a power run team, we probably would have went with Okung. Trent Williams was the perfect fit for the zone blocking scheme which is exactly why Shanahan drafted him over Okung. You don't draft a player higher just because Mel Kiper and Todd McShay says he's a higher rated player. You draft people that will fit your scheme.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:33 pm 
* NET Philistine *

SkinsFan46 wrote:
Okung didn't fit the Zone blocking scheme. If we were a power run team, we probably would have went with Okung. Trent Williams was the perfect fit for the zone blocking scheme which is exactly why Shanahan drafted him over Okung. You don't draft a player higher just because Mel Kiper and Todd McShay says he's a higher rated player. You draft people that will fit your scheme.

You do realize that Okung was drafted for a ZBS in Seattle, right?

Post Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:33 pm 
NET Rookie

Dont we run the Zone Blocking scheme?????

Post Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:34 pm 
NET Rookie

Sarlacc83 beat me to it...

Post Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:37 pm 
NET Practice Squad

Sarlacc83 wrote:
SkinsFan46 wrote:

you do run the ZBS now, but i thought that Okung was drafted prior to Carol's arrival . . . i could be wrong . . . either way, they are both real good tackles!!

* The Doc *
* The Doc *

For both fan bases, this could be like a Pace vs Jones question. With Okung making it through a regular season, it probably helps many with their fears about him staying healthy. I don't know if there is a correct answer. Both seem to be coming along nicely.

Wilson will sign for $18M+ (3/4/2014)

NET Practice Squad

Sarlacc83 wrote:
SkinsFan46 wrote:

I stand corrected then. I wasn't aware that they were running a ZBS in Carrol's first year. I knew they had ran some ZBS prior to that.

Either way, they both made the pro-bowl. Looks like a push to me.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:39 pm 
* NET Philistine *

SkinsFan46 wrote:
Sarlacc83 wrote:
SkinsFan46 wrote:

I stand corrected then. I wasn't aware that they were running a ZBS in Carrol's first year. I knew they had ran some ZBS prior to that.

Either way, they both made the pro-bowl. Looks like a push to me.

Seahawks brought in Alex Gibbs to implement his ZBS that year before the unexpected retirement. (There were rumors that he butted heads with Jeremy Bates, but that was never confirmed.)

Post Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:42 pm 
*Bacon Eating Crusader*
*Bacon Eating Crusader*

Pretty sure we have been running the ZBS since Holmy's last year when Solari came in....

Where can I find Seahawks98.com???

Post Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:43 pm 
NET Veteran

drdiags wrote:
For both fan bases, this could be like a Pace vs Jones question. With Okung making it through a regular season, it probably helps many with their fears about him staying healthy. I don't know if there is a correct answer. Both seem to be coming along nicely.

I agree with this. I'm sure glad we ended up with Jones and the Rams were happy about Pace. I think this is a very similar situation.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:47 pm 
NET Veteran

drdiags wrote:

question?

NO QUESTION

Post Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:55 pm 
NET Veteran

themunn wrote:
drdiags wrote:

question?

NO QUESTION

This,
Quote:
question?
sure looks like a question to me.

Moved to Seattle in 1980. Hawks fan for 34 years and counting.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:58 pm 
* Glitter over Knives *

I like our guy. Did before the draft, too.

I'm not part of the think tank around here re. the draft, nor do I aspire to be. But sometimes I know what I want and I get it right. In that draft I hoped Trent and Berry would go first leaving us with Okung and ET.

I got my wishes on that day.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:01 pm 
NET Veteran

I remember reading that the Hawks staff viewed Trent Williams as the superior prospect for the ZBS because he was supposedly faster and more athletic than Okung. I am not at all familiar with Williams' pro career so I cannot comment on him now, but I know that a healthy Okung gives you a well-rounded tackle who is proficient in every way, and I am thrilled we have him.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:12 pm 
NET Veteran

SkinsGuru wrote:
Sarlacc83 wrote:
SkinsFan46 wrote:

you do run the ZBS now, but i thought that Okung was drafted prior to Carol's arrival . . . i could be wrong . . . either way, they are both real good tackles!!

Actually he was PC first draft pick. We had 2-1st round picks in 2010 due to Denver's ill-advised trade with Seattle the previous year by Josh McDaniels. We gave them a 2nd round pick (Alphonso Smith- a CB who only lasted 1 year in Denver, only to be shipped off to Detroit)

Both have proven to be good players and picks for their respecitive teams.

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]