Trent Williams or Russell Okung?

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Trent Williams or Russell Okung?
Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:28 pm
  • Thank you Washington Redskins!!!!
    "Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
    "BFS is kicking ass in here." -kearly (8/9/2013)
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *

Re: Trent Williams or Russell Okung?
Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:30 pm
  • They both made the probowl, so I don't think there is much of difference.
    washmont
    NET Starter

Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:31 pm
  • Okung didn't fit the Zone blocking scheme. If we were a power run team, we probably would have went with Okung. Trent Williams was the perfect fit for the zone blocking scheme which is exactly why Shanahan drafted him over Okung. You don't draft a player higher just because Mel Kiper and Todd McShay says he's a higher rated player. You draft people that will fit your scheme.
    SkinsFan46
    NET Practice Squad

Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:33 pm
  • SkinsFan46 wrote:Okung didn't fit the Zone blocking scheme. If we were a power run team, we probably would have went with Okung. Trent Williams was the perfect fit for the zone blocking scheme which is exactly why Shanahan drafted him over Okung. You don't draft a player higher just because Mel Kiper and Todd McShay says he's a higher rated player. You draft people that will fit your scheme.

You do realize that Okung was drafted for a ZBS in Seattle, right?
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:33 pm
  • Dont we run the Zone Blocking scheme?????
    Hawksfan78
    NET Rookie

Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:34 pm
  • Sarlacc83 beat me to it...
    Hawksfan78
    NET Rookie

Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:37 pm
  • Sarlacc83 wrote:
    SkinsFan46 wrote:Okung didn't fit the Zone blocking scheme. If we were a power run team, we probably would have went with Okung. Trent Williams was the perfect fit for the zone blocking scheme which is exactly why Shanahan drafted him over Okung. You don't draft a player higher just because Mel Kiper and Todd McShay says he's a higher rated player. You draft people that will fit your scheme.

you do run the ZBS now, but i thought that Okung was drafted prior to Carol's arrival . . . i could be wrong . . . either way, they are both real good tackles!!
    SkinsGuru
    NET Practice Squad

• For both fan bases, this could be like a Pace vs Jones question. With Okung making it through a regular season, it probably helps many with their fears about him staying healthy. I don't know if there is a correct answer. Both seem to be coming along nicely.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

• Sarlacc83 wrote:
    SkinsFan46 wrote:Okung didn't fit the Zone blocking scheme. If we were a power run team, we probably would have went with Okung. Trent Williams was the perfect fit for the zone blocking scheme which is exactly why Shanahan drafted him over Okung. You don't draft a player higher just because Mel Kiper and Todd McShay says he's a higher rated player. You draft people that will fit your scheme.

I stand corrected then. I wasn't aware that they were running a ZBS in Carrol's first year. I knew they had ran some ZBS prior to that.

Either way, they both made the pro-bowl. Looks like a push to me.
    SkinsFan46
    NET Practice Squad

Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:39 pm
  • SkinsFan46 wrote:
    Sarlacc83 wrote:

I stand corrected then. I wasn't aware that they were running a ZBS in Carrol's first year. I knew they had ran some ZBS prior to that.

Either way, they both made the pro-bowl. Looks like a push to me.

Seahawks brought in Alex Gibbs to implement his ZBS that year before the unexpected retirement. (There were rumors that he butted heads with Jeremy Bates, but that was never confirmed.)
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:42 pm
  • Pretty sure we have been running the ZBS since Holmy's last year when Solari came in....

Where can I find Seahawks98.com???
    Barthawk
    *Bacon Eating Crusader*
    *Bacon Eating Crusader*

Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:43 pm
  • drdiags wrote:For both fan bases, this could be like a Pace vs Jones question. With Okung making it through a regular season, it probably helps many with their fears about him staying healthy. I don't know if there is a correct answer. Both seem to be coming along nicely.

I agree with this. I'm sure glad we ended up with Jones and the Rams were happy about Pace. I think this is a very similar situation.
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:47 pm
  • drdiags wrote:For both fan bases, this could be like a Pace vs Jones question. With Okung making it through a regular season, it probably helps many with their fears about him staying healthy. I don't know if there is a correct answer. Both seem to be coming along nicely.

question?

NO QUESTION
    themunn
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:55 pm
  • themunn wrote:
    drdiags wrote:For both fan bases, this could be like a Pace vs Jones question. With Okung making it through a regular season, it probably helps many with their fears about him staying healthy. I don't know if there is a correct answer. Both seem to be coming along nicely.

question?

NO QUESTION

This,
    question?
    sure looks like a question to me.
    EastCoastHawksFan posted... "Trading for Harvin is by far the worst move John S has ever made." (March 18, 2014)

your World Champion Seattle Seahawks.. how sweet is that!!
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:58 pm
  • I like our guy. Did before the draft, too.

I'm not part of the think tank around here re. the draft, nor do I aspire to be. But sometimes I know what I want and I get it right. In that draft I hoped Trent and Berry would go first leaving us with Okung and ET.

I got my wishes on that day.
    "Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
    "BFS is kicking ass in here." -kearly (8/9/2013)
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *

Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:01 pm
  • I remember reading that the Hawks staff viewed Trent Williams as the superior prospect for the ZBS because he was supposedly faster and more athletic than Okung. I am not at all familiar with Williams' pro career so I cannot comment on him now, but I know that a healthy Okung gives you a well-rounded tackle who is proficient in every way, and I am thrilled we have him.
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:12 pm
  • SkinsGuru wrote:
    Sarlacc83 wrote:

you do run the ZBS now, but i thought that Okung was drafted prior to Carol's arrival . . . i could be wrong . . . either way, they are both real good tackles!!

Actually he was PC first draft pick. We had 2-1st round picks in 2010 due to Denver's ill-advised trade with Seattle the previous year by Josh McDaniels. We gave them a 2nd round pick (Alphonso Smith- a CB who only lasted 1 year in Denver, only to be shipped off to Detroit)

Both have proven to be good players and picks for their respecitive teams.
    jlwaters1
    NET Veteran

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:37 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information