Legion of Boom... Unit that goes down in NFL history?

hawksfan515

Reaction score
I was just thinking how cool it would be to have one of those "unquestioned elite" units on your defense.... IE the purple people eaters, fearsome foursome, ect.... (I don't think there are any secondaries either... Maybe I'm wrong?)

A few things that jump out at me from reading the purple people eaters wiki page is that they all have pro bowls on their resumes. Barring an upset, all of our players in our secondary should have at least 1 pro bowl. And, even though Sherman doesn't have a pro bowl, he has a 1st team all-pro on his resume now, which is much cooler than the pro bowl. Same with Earl, they are on their way to great careers.

Second, they all made the pro bowl in the same year at least once, and the majority of them three times. So far the majority of our secondary has made the pro bowl once, and they are all very young (except Browner).

Third, they have at least one HOF'er. Now, I know this is really jumping the gun, but I believe that Richard Sherman and Earl Thomas are HOF'ers, with Kam having an outside shot. These guys are straight up spectacular.

Now this whole topic is probably a little premature, but I think this unit really has the potential to go down in history as the BEST secondary in NFL history, complete with a nickname to go with it :)

425HawkSpark

Reaction score
I like you thinking. I think would love that if it did happen. I always think of the steel curtain.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
hawksfan515":2mbnevap said:
Second, they all made the pro bowl in the same year at least once, and the majority of them three times. So far the majority of our secondary has made the pro bowl once, and they are all very young (except Browner).

I enjoy and appreciate the spirit of this post, but...

All made the pro bowl in the same year at least once? No. Sherman didn't make it last year. Didn't make it this year either.

Majority of them three times? Huh? Thomas is the only one to start 3 seasons. Kam = 2. Browner = 2. Sherman = 1.75ish.

Loose facts aside, I like the idea of the Legion of Boom up there with Purple People Eaters, Steel Curtain, Orange Crush, etc.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
HawkAroundTheClock":19jol7ca said:
hawksfan515":19jol7ca said:

All made the pro bowl in the same year at least once? No. Sherman didn't make it last year. Didn't make it this year either.

Majority of them three times? Huh? Thomas is the only one to start 3 seasons. Kam = 2. Browner = 2. Sherman = 1.75ish.

Loose facts aside, I like the idea of the Legion of Boom up there with Purple People Eaters, Steel Curtain, Orange Crush, etc.
Pretty sure he's referring to the purple people eaters with those numbers.

OP
OP
hawksfan515

hawksfan515

Reaction score
HawkAroundTheClock":cv1k3gj5 said:
hawksfan515":cv1k3gj5 said:

LOL I was talking about the purple people eaters man :) And not to pile on, but Thomas has started 2 seasons, Kam and Browner have never made it in as starters too. They were alternates. Just like Sherman this year.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
-The Glove-":i10xl3ol said:
HawkAroundTheClock":i10xl3ol said:
hawksfan515":i10xl3ol said:

Pretty sure he's referring to the purple people eaters with those numbers.

Thanks. I re-read the OP twice and still didn't get that. 3rd time's the charm. ;) :th2thumbs: Gotcha, 515. I like how you think!

Crap, I picked the wrong year to quit sniffing glue. Who was starting FS during Earl's rookie year?

Veilside

Reaction score
HawkAroundTheClock":19rmpf8b said:
Thanks. I re-read the OP twice and still didn't get that. 3rd time's the charm. ;) :th2thumbs: Gotcha, 515. I like how you think!

Crap, I picked the wrong year to quit sniffing glue. Who was starting FS during Earl's rookie year?

He was.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Veilside":1pekm3i4 said:
HawkAroundTheClock":1pekm3i4 said:

He was.

Well that's what I originally thought (and posted). But then 515 told me he's only started 2 seasons. :229031_shrug: Wait, wait, wait... started in the pro bowl, I think he meant. Sheesh. I'm going away now. LOL. :)

OP
OP
hawksfan515

hawksfan515

Reaction score
HawkAroundTheClock":22avgkul said:
Veilside":22avgkul said:
HawkAroundTheClock":22avgkul said:

He was.

Well that's what I originally thought (and posted). But then 515 told me he's only started 2 seasons. :229031_shrug: Wait, wait, wait... started in the pro bowl, I think he meant. Sheesh. I'm going away now. LOL. :)

Yeah I meant starting in the pro bowl.... LOL this thread is confusing

Falcon124

Reaction score
Your Defense is good but don't get cocky. Sherman asked for something after the Redskins game and didn't like the return. In fact, he had a nervous giggle that showed fear. This Defense has no idea what awaits them in Atlanta. It will be the Legion of Bust come Sunday. I'll come back afterward whatever the outcome but Julio, Roddy, Gonzo and Douglas are going to light up your slow secondary. They won't be bullied like the Redskins tiny receivers. :)

Cartire

Reaction score
Falcon124":3d16koz0 said:
Your Defense is good but don't get cocky. Sherman asked for something after the Redskins game and didn't like the return. In fact, he had a nervous giggle that showed fear. This Defense has no idea what awaits them in Atlanta. It will be the Legion of Bust come Sunday. I'll come back afterward whatever the outcome but Julio, Roddy, Gonzo and Douglas are going to light up your slow secondary. They won't be bullied like the Redskins tiny receivers. :)

if you watch the audio recording of that encounter, you would realize how naive your post is. Sherman didnt do anything to provoke him. Before he came up, sherman was being a great sport and talking with the other team, then he comes up into shermans face. Sherman knew he wasnt there to shake hands, so he stood up to him. Got punched, and instead of retaliating, laughed it off.

Quit reaching so hard to make him out to be a bad guy just because he talks smack on the field. Which almost all good defensive players do. See Ray Lewis.

OP
OP
hawksfan515

hawksfan515

Reaction score
Falcon124":2h1noil9 said:

? The Legion of Boom is better than you think, clearly. You think they're all "overrated", and that they bully smaller receivers. Well, you know what the excuse from Redskin fans was? That their "small receivers" would beat us deep, and they didn't. Now your excuse is that we "can't bully them" because the Falcons receivers are too big. Screw you, the Legion of Boom bullies EVERYONE. Enough said.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
I'm not sure why anyone would use the Pro Bowl as a measure of success. It's a joke and should be tossed.

All Pro means infinitely more.

Case in point: All Pro Richard Sherman is not an NFC Pro Bowler. Case rested.

FidelisHawk

Reaction score
I can’t recall there EVER being a defense with a “Name” secondary…

Most the famous named defenses featured the defensive line “The Fearsome Foursome”, “The Purple People Eaters”, “The Steel Curtain”. Even Miami’s ’73, Nick Buoniconti led, “No Name” defense (which featured two all-pro safeties) was more about the D-line and linebackers, same with the later “Killer Bs”.

Buddy Ryan’s “46” “Eagle” defensive was more remembered for their Line and Linebackers the same with the 2000 Raven’s.

Even the great defensives where Deion Sanders roamed the secondary never seemed to have a catchy “Name”, that I recall.

Perhaps it just took years of QBs putting up record numbers for a secondary to catch on enough to warrant a “Name” for themselves...

Latest posts