The 2 Seconds left Hail Mary

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
The 2 Seconds left Hail Mary
Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:06 pm
  • Ok those of you who watched on tv and saw replays... I don't think many are talking about this aspect of the last moments because it was total desperation. BUT, why were none of our receivers anywhere near the ball on that last throw? I know it was a LONG throw, and Wilson absolutely positively knew he had to get the ball OUT one way or another --- and get it down to the endzone --- but why was there not even contention in the endzone?
    CaptainSkybeard
    NET Veteran

Re: The 2 Seconds left Hail Mary
Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:08 pm
  • I think he threw it too soon. Not that it mattered anyway, with the long shot that it was. But that's what it looked like to me.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:10 pm
  • I thought so too.
    "Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
    "BFS is kicking ass in here." -kearly (8/9/2013)
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *

Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:12 pm
  • kept waiting for Golden to come rushing into the picture bowling over dudes to get to the ball...
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:14 pm
  • He was getting pressure if I remember correctly from the left and stepped up and chucked it, probably a little sooner than he wanted too is what it looked like to me.
    **ME LONG YOU LOVE TIME**
    Seattle_Stunna_MD
    NET Rookie

Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:16 pm
  • With Wilson such a good open field runner, do you think it would have been worth a fake hail marry/running play?
    salamander
    NET Rookie

Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:18 pm
  • I shouted out "Why the *take a guess at what goes here* aren't any of our receivers in the end zone?!" When I saw the ball come down. My friends were doing the same; we were flabbergasted. :(
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:21 pm
  • I thought the same --- where are all our receivers!!!
    Tailspin Hawk Fan
    NET Rookie

Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:25 pm
  • Still running towards the end zone. Russ threw it a bit to soon.
    lacenterhawk
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:31 pm
  • lacenterhawk wrote:Still running towards the end zone. Russ threw it a bit to soon.

If that is true he is forgiven instantly. His defense should have never left him making that throw. Just trying to get a grasp on what happened. I was sitting up in the third deck right above that endzone, and I wasn't looking at Russell I was looking at the endzone, and had no replay to see what happened when he threw.
    CaptainSkybeard
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:32 pm
  • salamander wrote:With Wilson such a good open field runner, do you think it would have been worth a fake hail marry/running play?

I was thinking about it this but it would have had to have multiple latterals on such a play just don't see it.

Maybe the Boise State play would have worked with a 25 yard pass and then latteral to someone else.....

I say he should have thrown it to the left side of the field - all those defenders were on the right side :D
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:34 pm
  • Looked like to me he was rushed and just flung it towards the end zone to get it there.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:36 pm
  • I would have liked to have seen some kind of trick play, but I'm sure they would have never heard the end of it with people hounding them for not trying a hail mary. I am not an x's and o's wizard, but some kind of combination hail mary fake (send all receivers to end zone) combined with a screen pass to Turbin or Washington (no way i trust marshawn to make up ground in open field with his foot hurt) would have had some chance of success. I know it doesn't matter now...
    CaptainSkybeard
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:38 pm
  • We should have put Sherman and Browner out there on the hail mary, seriously. Both tall guys that seem to have good hands
    ----
    ensett
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:50 pm
  • The last person you could blame that loss on was Wilson!
    #NEXTMANUP
    Evil_Shenanigans
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:56 pm
  • It would have been something to send all the receivers to one side then have the block like a kick return and Russ take off.
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:58 pm
  • Yep, he threw it too soon - also didn't help that Julio Jones was back there playing defense seeing as he is 6'3" and had a 38" vertical leap at the Combine.
    Chrome_Seahawk
    NET Starter

Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:58 pm
  • Evil_Shenanigans wrote:The last person you could blame that loss on was Wilson!

Nobody is saying that at all, but it is possible he didn't handle that specific play the right way. Wilson was legendary in this game as a whole.
    CaptainSkybeard
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:59 pm
  • Seattle_Stunna_MD wrote:He was getting pressure if I remember correctly from the left and stepped up and chucked it, probably a little sooner than he wanted too is what it looked like to me.

That is how I saw it
    Aristotle22
    NET Starter

Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:02 pm
  • hawker84 wrote:kept waiting for Golden to come rushing into the picture bowling over dudes to get to the ball...

Hell yea, and why not, it worked before.
    Seriously though, it was a long shot, and the timing was'nt working for Wilson on that play.
    i think he'd have had a better chance of connecting on a throw jst outside the end zone to Tate for the run in for TD.
    All what IF's though.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:03 pm
  • I noticed that the receivers didn't look like it was the last play in the playoffs...More like the last play to end the half. I get that he threw it early but the receivers who were in the vicinity didn't have the body language like it was as big of a play as it was.

Not faulting anybody but I did notice it.

Les "The Radish" Norton - Ambassador/Grandfather of .NET, gone too soon but will never be forgotten. RIP
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:11 pm
  • lacenterhawk wrote:Still running towards the end zone. Russ threw it a bit to soon.

I saw at least two of them being blocked inside the 5.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:11 pm
  • brimsalabim wrote:It would have been something to send all the receivers to one side then have the block like a kick return and Russ take off.

Yup. i was hoping for the same thing. The field was wide open. I would love to see Wilson take off, get as far as he could, and then when the D converges on him, throw a lateral back across the field to a wide open Tate who runs in for the score....haha man that would never work. Only in my head.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:14 pm
  • It didn't look like it to me live, but doesn't it look like Baldwin is in perfect position for the catch if it went through Julio's hands? This picture frustrates me. Looks so close!

Last edited by HawkFan72 on Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:14 pm
  • [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYcLwRsium4[/youtube]

Looks like pass interference for me.
    Axx
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:17 pm
  • Axx wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYcLwRsium4[/youtube]

In that video, doesn't it look like Tate is 1-on-1 on the left side of the field? Wonder why the pass didn't go there.
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:20 pm
  • Axx wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYcLwRsium4[/youtube]

That would have gone over well in Twitterverse. Remember there is no interference calls on Hail Mary's, unless you are a non-descript team that no one wants to see beat the more-storied one. :stirthepot:
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:45 pm
  • I can't understand why Bevell sent the injured Miller down. Why not send Sherman? RW did everything he could with that play. Threw a beautiful, perfectly lofted ball...but had to rush it. Sherman or Browner would have stood a much better chance of reaching the end zone than Miller...as awesome as he was, he was the wrong guy and I think only made it to the 5.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:55 pm
  • brimsalabim wrote:It would have been something to send all the receivers to one side then have the block like a kick return and Russ take off.

I seriously was thinking the same f'ing thing! just have em all block it was only 50 yards to run... who knows?
    blue 22
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:08 pm
  • As far as fake hail mary trick plays are concerned, I'm not sure if it ever occurred to the coaches to whip one up just in case.

3 WR to the left, Tate to the right, Leon in the backfield to "block".

Russell takes the snap, runs around for about 3 to 4 seconds, finds a seam on the left side and starts the scramble. Leon hangs around in the backfield, maybe chips a rusher on his way upfield, but he kind of lingers with Russell across the field laterally. Once Russell getting hit is imminent, he pulls the trigger and hits Leon on a long lateral pass and from there, its just like a punt return and he probably has to make a guy miss and then get a good block from Tate to get in.

From the 50 yard line this is totally imaginable.
    CrimsonWazzu
    NET Starter

Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:22 pm
  • that running play maybe wouldn't be that bad of an idea... especially since Julio Jones was on the field and i'm guessing he probably wasn't the only WR in the endzone.

but I think it would've been even better to try and get it to Tate 1 on 1 on the other side. Everyone was expecting a pass to the 3 guys on the right side but Tate and Wilson have amazing chemistry and Tate is a guy that just won't give up on a play... hell he could've caught it on the 10 and he would probably get close or even in.
    talic7
    NET Bench Warmer

Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:56 pm
  • My feeling on these last second "Hail Marys", is to throw it short (inside the five - as the opposition is poised in the End Zone), and let a receiver (in stride) roll that bad boy in for the TD.

But, I guess that's why I'm not an OC.
    Paschtorian
    NET Rookie

Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:56 pm
  • My question was why didn't we throw it down field to set up a potential FG
    On twitter @Blazenhawks

New Era of Seahawks football Starts Now!!!!
    Blazenhawks
    NET Starter

Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:00 pm
  • 6 seconds is not enough time to try to advance the ball long enough for a successful FG attempt.

Les "The Radish" Norton - Ambassador/Grandfather of .NET, gone too soon but will never be forgotten. RIP
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:07 pm
  • Aros wrote:6 seconds is not enough time to try to advance the ball long enough for a successful FG attempt.

I think it could have Ben possible we had 2 timeouts
    On twitter @Blazenhawks

New Era of Seahawks football Starts Now!!!!
    Blazenhawks
    NET Starter

Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:14 pm
  • Sure 6 seconds is enough. Run a corner route, a 12 yard out, heck, a slant or pop pass. 10 more yards and we have a fantastic shot of winning that game. I think that is what they were planning on doing with the play the called, but Baldwin executed it terribly.

As far as the actual last play, Wilson wasn't pressured. He just didn't wait for his guys to get down the field. I would bet the average time a QB holds onto the ball on a hail mary is 3 seconds longer, which is a decade in football terms. He didn't give them a shot.

If a guy falls down in the end zone involuntarily, is the ball automatically considered to be downed? Julio caught the ball, fell to the ground, and flipped the ball a few feet away. He wasn't touched and made no attempt to down the ball on a knee or anything.
    "So between my friends and I we have been at every home game to date this year, and we have all been plotting the offensive plays called. " ------Anthony!
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:38 pm
  • Seahawk Sailor wrote:I think he threw it too soon. Not that it mattered anyway, with the long shot that it was. But that's what it looked like to me.

He was being trapped in the pocket and had to throw it early to keep from being sacked.

I too noticed the ball got to the endzone before our players did.

:les:
    On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:09 pm
  • he didn't throw it too soon, he threw it perfect, why Seattle needs a speed guy, even then I think those guys should have been in place, I guess if they are going to rely on that play they should practice it with more design?

I say kick the 3
    GO HAWKS!!!
    Twisted
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:57 pm
  • I think they said 62 yarder. Isn't that what Hauscka tried in one game?...
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:28 am
  • I don't think they could have gotten any more on the second to last play. 2 seconds is not much time, and they would have been crucified for running out of time AGAIN if they hadn't executed.
    salamander
    NET Rookie

Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:13 am
  • Blazenhawks wrote:
    Aros wrote:6 seconds is not enough time to try to advance the ball long enough for a successful FG attempt.

I think it could have Ben possible we had 2 timeouts

A pair of deep in's on each side of the field only takes about 3 seconds to complete. The trouble at that point is getting the refs attention to get the timeout called, but it was certainly possible.
    FIRE CABLE!
    BASF
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:38 am
  • 3 secs is borderline more like 4 or 5

Could you imagine the posts here and in the press if first we took a sack to end the first half and then we took a sack / clock ran out as we tried to get 20 yards and didn't get a 2nd pass in?

EDIT: We ran a quick short pass to the side (was probably supposed to be slightly deeper) and it took 4 seconds....

In college you would go straight down the middle and the guy knows he needs to hit the turf immediately to stop the clock. Then you use the time-out.

This isn't college.......
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:24 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information