The 2 Seconds left Hail Mary

CaptainSkybeard

Reaction score
Ok those of you who watched on tv and saw replays... I don't think many are talking about this aspect of the last moments because it was total desperation. BUT, why were none of our receivers anywhere near the ball on that last throw? I know it was a LONG throw, and Wilson absolutely positively knew he had to get the ball OUT one way or another --- and get it down to the endzone --- but why was there not even contention in the endzone?

hawker84

Reaction score
kept waiting for Golden to come rushing into the picture bowling over dudes to get to the ball...

Seattle_Stunna_MD

Reaction score
He was getting pressure if I remember correctly from the left and stepped up and chucked it, probably a little sooner than he wanted too is what it looked like to me.

salamander

Reaction score
With Wilson such a good open field runner, do you think it would have been worth a fake hail marry/running play?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I shouted out "Why the *take a guess at what goes here* aren't any of our receivers in the end zone?!" When I saw the ball come down. My friends were doing the same; we were flabbergasted. :(

OP
OP
CaptainSkybeard

CaptainSkybeard

Reaction score
lacenterhawk":1l716w78 said:
Still running towards the end zone. Russ threw it a bit to soon.

If that is true he is forgiven instantly. His defense should have never left him making that throw. Just trying to get a grasp on what happened. I was sitting up in the third deck right above that endzone, and I wasn't looking at Russell I was looking at the endzone, and had no replay to see what happened when he threw.

mikeak

Reaction score
salamander":1m6829gx said:
With Wilson such a good open field runner, do you think it would have been worth a fake hail marry/running play?

I was thinking about it this but it would have had to have multiple latterals on such a play just don't see it.

Maybe the Boise State play would have worked with a 25 yard pass and then latteral to someone else.....

I say he should have thrown it to the left side of the field - all those defenders were on the right side :D

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Looked like to me he was rushed and just flung it towards the end zone to get it there.

OP
OP
CaptainSkybeard

CaptainSkybeard

Reaction score
I would have liked to have seen some kind of trick play, but I'm sure they would have never heard the end of it with people hounding them for not trying a hail mary. I am not an x's and o's wizard, but some kind of combination hail mary fake (send all receivers to end zone) combined with a screen pass to Turbin or Washington (no way i trust marshawn to make up ground in open field with his foot hurt) would have had some chance of success. I know it doesn't matter now...

ensett

Reaction score
We should have put Sherman and Browner out there on the hail mary, seriously. Both tall guys that seem to have good hands

brimsalabim

Reaction score
It would have been something to send all the receivers to one side then have the block like a kick return and Russ take off.

Reaction score
Yep, he threw it too soon - also didn't help that Julio Jones was back there playing defense seeing as he is 6'3" and had a 38" vertical leap at the Combine.

OP
OP
CaptainSkybeard

CaptainSkybeard

Reaction score
Evil_Shenanigans":2llxrgau said:
The last person you could blame that loss on was Wilson!

Nobody is saying that at all, but it is possible he didn't handle that specific play the right way. Wilson was legendary in this game as a whole.

Aristotle22

Reaction score
Seattle_Stunna_MD":3k2aaz23 said:
He was getting pressure if I remember correctly from the left and stepped up and chucked it, probably a little sooner than he wanted too is what it looked like to me.

That is how I saw it

scutterhawk

Reaction score
hawker84":ogiifknn said:
kept waiting for Golden to come rushing into the picture bowling over dudes to get to the ball...
Hell yea, and why not, it worked before.
Seriously though, it was a long shot, and the timing was'nt working for Wilson on that play.
i think he'd have had a better chance of connecting on a throw jst outside the end zone to Tate for the run in for TD.
All what IF's though.