Is Russell Wilson a role model?

DJS425

Reaction score
I've said it before athletes should never be role models until I learned of Russell Wilson. He's the most unselfish, caring, smartest, thoughtful person we all inspire to be. He visits childrens hospital every Tuesday his offday to cheer up sick kids he doesnt know. He doesnt have to do that! Who does this? A class act does this! Russell Wilson isn't just a great role model for kids but for everyone. Oh and he happens to be a stud QB!

Bipolar

Reaction score
He also happens to be a religious fanatic (not any different from Tim Tebow) and his constant bible references make him sound like a total douche.

other than that, he is a great role model for everyone.

the problem with athletes in general is that they are dumb as a rock. in case of RW, of course, you can see that this is obviously not the case.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
If Russel Wilson isn't a role model I'm not sure who would qualify to be one.

Wilson growing up had what a lot of people who need role models don't have; a stable successful family and a father who expected great things from his kids. Unfortunately even if you're lucky enough to have both your parents around let alone your father these days, you're lucky if they have raised you to be strong enough to take criticism and for them to have high expectations of you without getting butthurt.

It's good that he's done a great job of making the most of that good fortune, hopefully he can inspire those that haven't had the best luck and still show them that even with all of that, people will still tell you you'll fail at one of the toughest jobs on the planet, and you can still go out there and prove them absolutely wrong.

OP
OP
DJS425

DJS425

Reaction score
I think Wilson is the exception. He's not Aaron Curry religious he's a little more even keel but who wouldnt want their kid to grow up to be the kind of person Wilson is, even if he wasnt a great football player? You know the guy will succeed at anything he tries at

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Bipolar":mvcf2nps said:
He also happens to be a religious fanatic (not any different from Tim Tebow) and his constant bible references make him sound like a total douche.

other than that, he is a great role model for everyone.

the problem with athletes in general is that they are dumb as a rock. in case of RW, of course, you can see that this is obviously not the case.

the only place i ever see constant bible references from him is on his twitter feed, which is his personal twitter account, not a marketing/team tool, so I'm not sure how that makes him sound like a 'douche'. I'm atheist and am not a big fan of people attributing their success in life to what i perceive as mythical beings. But I haven't heard much if any religious speak from him in interviews, let alone enough to sound 'douchey'.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
There is a problem with the phrase "role model". From a pure definition standpoint of the term role,
"Sociology states- the rights, obligations, and expected behavior patterns associated with a particular social status. If we add in the term of model, it is a way of showing others how to behave. So, in effect, we are all role models in everything that we do. You can either be a good role model or a bad role model. People and especially kids will look to anyone that they admire and try to emulate their behaviour.

This has always been a hot button for me ever since Charles Barkley said that he was not a role model. BS! Everyone needs to be a shining example for others to live by. I have a degree in sociology and am also a teacher. I see everyday how behaviour, no matter good or bad will be copied by others. Nit picking on my part? Probably. However I find it extremely important that we look at all people, especially our athletic and other famous heroes as modeling behaviour.

So back to the OP and the question about Russell Wilson. RW is a good role model. I look up to him and the example he sets. Mike Vick on the other hand is a bad role model.

Sorry for the mini lecture but this commonly used phrase bugs the hell out of me.

mikeak

Reaction score
Doesn't sociology say something about the society you live in is what it is and not what you wanted it to be? So if that is how a term is used today maybe the definition needs to change........

The RW we know is a role model but who knows he could be Tiger Woods or Lance Armstrong. I don't see it but that doesn't mean it isn't so.....

12evanf

Reaction score
Most of the Seahawks we love are religious. If that makes them douches, that sucks for you as a fan.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Bipolar":2q8d36fx said:

In a way you are promoting the same judgmental behavior of religious fanatics that turns people off. I use to be just like you..... till I grew up, now I really don't care what people think or believe as long as they are happy. Who are you or I to judge them?

Bipolar

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3l736wr3 said:
I'm sorry but anyone who thinks this guy EVER sounds like a Douche clearly is on crack.

well, you have to judge the content of his communication, not what and how he does it in front of the camers.

let's face it, Russell Wilson is smart, since he completed a bacherlors in 3 years (although in Communications, and from a crappy school) and has a masters degree in leadership from UW Madison (for a football player? amazing!). its not as impressive as Donald Driver, but still pretty damn good overall.

these credentials alone by definition imply that the person:

a) knows how to talk and
b) knows how to lead

what you see in front of the cameras is all great, but what I read on twitter is whole another story.
his major flaw, in my opinion, is that he is deeply religious. the good news is that he is not as vomit-inducing as Tebow, who talks like a child, but I can still sense naivite and close-mindedness from a mile away.

again, my personal opinion and you are free to disagree with me. cheers!

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Bipolar":1kbcxg78 said:
SoulfishHawk":1kbcxg78 said:
I'm sorry but anyone who thinks this guy EVER sounds like a Douche clearly is on crack.

what you see in front of the cameras is all great, but what I read on twitter is whole another story.
his major flaw, in my opinion, is that he is deeply religious. the good news is that he is not as vomit-inducing as Tebow, who talks like a child, but I can still sense naivite and close-mindedness from a mile away.

Bro, that is your major flaw...... you should be a little more accepting of people. Sounds like you have the problem, not him.

:34853_doh:

Bipolar

Reaction score
I am perfectly fine with him tweeting whatever he wants as well, but I do not want my children to grow up to be like him.

it is called a personal preference.

drdiags

Reaction score
Thou shalt not worship any false idols and only believe in Wilson!

Fans are funny. Glad folks are excited. Wilson has a huge obstacle to overcome as far as expectations going forward. Please keep it up because I don't want to have to witness the crazy girlfriend that some of you might become if he isn't perfect.

Please don't let some weird deadspin article pop up about Wilson's days of pimping when he was younger. Hee hee .... j/k. Please forgive my transgressions.

drdiags

Reaction score
Bipolar":2oggefxz said:
I am perfectly fine with him tweeting whatever he wants as well, but I do not want my children to grow up to be like him.

it is called a personal preference.

Sometimes it is better to not follow players. There are pros and cons. I tried following Seahawks players for a while then decided that it wasn't what I was interested in reading. Curry lasted less than the others. Only person I follow from the Seahawks is Walter Jones, and that was in response to him following me when I donated to his Turkey bowl cause.

The constant begging for retweets by fans is seriously jacked up so that was the other reason I decided not to follow players. That and the jackhole trolls wanting their minute of fame for dissing an athlete.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I'm not religious at all. But, if this is the only thing to complain about, so be it. He doesn't push it on me, and I couldn't care less what he believes. Plus, I've never been on Twitter. I don't need to know every time someone brushes their teeth, or goes to the store to buy a loaf of bread. He's a good dude, a TOTAL leader, and will be a Hawk for years. How is someone a douche because they are religious?? wow

Timberhawk

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":2x26y75p said:
Bipolar":2x26y75p said:
SoulfishHawk":2x26y75p said:

Bro, that is your major flaw...... you should be a little more accepting of people. Sounds like you have the problem, not him.

:34853_doh:
:13: One of the major problems, since we are going on about sociology, with the world isn't that we all disagree but that so many of us refuse to tolerate or listen to those that do. We all want to stay in our admittedly flawed safety bubbles. If we are honest we all have to agree that none of us are 100% correct about anything. When we stop listening and start judging it only holds us back from personal and communal growth.

Latest posts