Bevell signs extension to stay Hawks OC

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Bevell signs extension to stay Hawks OC
Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:15 pm
  • Glen Peer ‏@weekapaug009
    Arians to AZ…Bevell stays on Seattle
    Expand Reply Retweeted Favorite More

Seahawks Offense - TM - Seahawks

The Seahawks signed offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell to a contract extension.
    Bevell was a candidate for the Arizona head-coaching vacancy, but he withdrew his name after re-upping in Seattle. The details of the extension are unknown, but it's a good keep for Seattle after losing defensive coordinator Gus Bradley to the Jaguars on Thursday. The Seahawks ranked No. 17 in total offense this season, but the unit really trended up after Russell Wilson found his stride.
    Source: ESPN.com
    Jan 17 - 9:04 PM
    Last edited by lukerguy on Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"We all we got, we all we need"
    lukerguy
    NET Veteran

• Good. It is best for Wilson to have the same O-coordinator two years in a row, and for us to not have to have 2 new coordinators.

Regardless of whether you like Bevell or not, this is the best thing for our Offense right now.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

• I am perfectly fine with Bevell as OC. Glad he's staying.
    " Living on Earth isn't cheap, but it does include a yearly free trip around the sun."
    v1rotv2
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• I dig it. Hopefully Wilson will have a little more say so in the play calling and freedom to audible at the line.
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

• I have questioned the way we handcuffed Wilson early in the season, and even had some issues early in games later in the season, but I do think they are learning each other and another year of continuity should be a positive thing for both of them.
    :les:

kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Good.

Honestly, I like Bevell. He has questionable play calls every now and then but all in all I think he's a solid OC.
    Decimation
    NET Veteran

• GOOD!
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• kidhawk wrote:I have questioned the way we handcuffed Wilson early in the season, and even had some issues early in games later in the season, but I do think they are learning each other and another year of continuity should be a positive thing for both of them.

PC said many times it was him that kept the leash on Wilson. Bevell answers to PC.
    " Living on Earth isn't cheap, but it does include a yearly free trip around the sun."
    v1rotv2
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• Great, if Russell is happy with him so am I!
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• According to ESPN Bevell received a contract extension and a raise. He accepted and withdrew from the Arizona coaching race.
    VancitySeahawk
    NET Veteran

• Fantastic! I like Bevell and felt he grew tremendously as a playcaller as he and Russ gained trust in each other. Bevell got pretty much shafted in Minnesota and didn't get a legit shot. Remember they had others who felt they knew everything that were calling plays (Childress and Favre doing whatever he wanted). Bevell is an intelligent guy. Those of us who saw him in college saw a player who was smart, was able to read defenses, adjusted well, and now has a QB that has a similar brain, but has more physical tools. Russell and Bevell make a great combo and just seeing them bounce ideas off of each other all offseason would be a real treat, because I think they are going to come up with an offense TOGETHER that is even better. Russell is going to get a lot of audible options this offseason to run next year too, which will make the offense more lethal. Continuity = good, especially when the guy can call a good game.
    R.I.P. Dad. I miss you. You will never be forgotten
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

• VancitySeahawk wrote:According to ESPN Bevell received a contract extension and a raise. He accepted and withdrew from the Arizona coaching race.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8855315/arizona-cardinals-hire-bruce-arians-head-coach-according-team-source

Yep. Bevell withdrew after being given a contract extension.

GOOD. I don't want to lose both coordinators in one offseason. Our offense improved as the season went on.

I am very happy going into 2013 with Bevell and Dan Quinn. I think Quinn was a great hire. OPTIMISM! :0190l:
    WE ALL WE GOT! WE ALL WE NEED!
    Hawksfanatik
    NET Veteran

• VancitySeahawk wrote:According to ESPN Bevell received a contract extension and a raise. He accepted and withdrew from the Arizona coaching race.

Atta boy, Paul.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

• Oh the nice things that can happen when you have a Bllionaire as an owner.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• A very good move! I thought Bevell was below average early this year, but first - that was more Pete than Bevell, and second - I was wrong.

He's not a mad genius, but he had a good year and I'm happy to have him back.
    Remembering rookies will play like rookies, since 2012.
    JerHawk81
    NET Veteran

• Very excited to see an extension, really pumped to see what he and Russell can do again next season.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• JerHawk81 wrote:A very good move! I thought Bevell was below average early this year, but first - that was more Pete than Bevell, and second - I was wrong.

He's not a mad genius, but he had a good year and I'm happy to have him back.

Kind of where I'm at. But, I never want to see; 1st and Goal inside the 5 and throw three times (Skins) or 3rd and 4th n 1...and Lynch doesn't get the ball (duh, Atl).

I'm totally willing to chalk up any of my concerns to Pete being conservative and/or an offense adjusting to their QB being best player.
    Last edited by pehawk on Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• Good. We need continuity, especially for RW
    hawkmanj
    NET Starter

• I think Bevell deserves a lot of credit. Most teams that run read-option in the NFL commit to it fairly strictly (SF with Kaepernick, Carolina, Washington, etc), and the offenses they run are very obviously dumbed down. Late in the season I thought Bevell did an awesome job of mixing read option with a traditional offense. The result was a whole lot of games over 400 or even 500 total yards. People talk about playcalling/predictability but that is just one aspect of what an OC brings to a team. How that OC fits the existing talent is what is most important, and Bevell fits it perfectly. And for the record, I think Bevell's playcalling is just fine. Most of the crying over his playcalling comes in brutal losses where the offense did it's job and the defense didn't, and MMQB'ing takes over.

Sure, Wilson made Bevell and not the other way around, but I'm fine with that. At the end of the day Bevell may not be the greatest OC in the game, but he fits Wilson as well as anyone would. If Andy Reid or Jon Gruden came in to run our offense, I don't think it would be a whole lot better, simply because Wilson and Bevell seem to have developed chemistry working together.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• Excellent news. The offense was carrying the team for the last half of the season, so it's good to see Bevell stay. If we were going to keep one coordinator, definitely prefer to keep Bevell.
    HansGruber
    NET Veteran

• kearly wrote:I think Bevell deserves a lot of credit. Most teams that run read-option in the NFL commit to it fairly strictly (SF with Kaepernick, Carolina, Washington, etc), and the offenses they run are very obviously dumbed down. Late in the season I thought Bevell did an awesome job of mixing read option with a traditional offense. The result was a whole lot of games over 400 or even 500 total yards. People talk about playcalling/predictability but that is just one aspect of what an OC brings to a team. How that OC fits the existing talent is what is most important, and Bevell fits it perfectly. And for the record, I think Bevell's playcalling is just fine. Most of the crying over his playcalling comes in brutal losses where the offense did it's job and the defense didn't, and MMQB'ing takes over.

Sure, Wilson made Bevell and not the other way around, but I'm fine with that. At the end of the day Bevell may not be the greatest OC in the game, but he fits Wilson as well as anyone would. If Andy Reid or Jon Gruden came in to run our offense, I don't think it would be a whole lot better, simply because Wilson and Bevell seem to have developed chemistry working together.

Very well said Kearly, the chemistry that Bevell and Russell have developed really helped this offense grow as the year went along.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• Pleeeease Bevell, grow a pair in the first half of games in 2013! You're clearly capable of it as evidenced by your 2nd-half play-calling.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• Outstanding news! This is the first time we've had the same QB/OC paring in how many years now?
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• kearly wrote:I think Bevell deserves a lot of credit. Most teams that run read-option in the NFL commit to it fairly strictly (SF with Kaepernick, Carolina, Washington, etc), and the offenses they run are very obviously dumbed down. Late in the season I thought Bevell did an awesome job of mixing read option with a traditional offense. The result was a whole lot of games over 400 or even 500 total yards. People talk about playcalling/predictability but that is just one aspect of what an OC brings to a team. How that OC fits the existing talent is what is most important, and Bevell fits it perfectly. And for the record, I think Bevell's playcalling is just fine. Most of the crying over his playcalling comes in brutal losses where the offense did it's job and the defense didn't, and MMQB'ing takes over.

+1 Except the 4th and one against Atlanta.
    shawnsim
    NET Rookie

• shawnsim wrote:
    kearly wrote:I think Bevell deserves a lot of credit. Most teams that run read-option in the NFL commit to it fairly strictly (SF with Kaepernick, Carolina, Washington, etc), and the offenses they run are very obviously dumbed down. Late in the season I thought Bevell did an awesome job of mixing read option with a traditional offense. The result was a whole lot of games over 400 or even 500 total yards. People talk about playcalling/predictability but that is just one aspect of what an OC brings to a team. How that OC fits the existing talent is what is most important, and Bevell fits it perfectly. And for the record, I think Bevell's playcalling is just fine. Most of the crying over his playcalling comes in brutal losses where the offense did it's job and the defense didn't, and MMQB'ing takes over.

why is that considered a bad call, I want to know? Afterall that play worked like clockwork throughout the season. We ran it maybe a half dozen times and EVERY TIME it got a first down in the regular season. So why exactly was it a bad call? Because it didn't work? If that's the only argument than it's very weak indeed.

I don't know if you caught this but on the 3rd and 1 A) PC was trying to call a timeout. 2) it was reported that the Seahawks OL missed a check at the LOS on that play, because of the noise. Those missed details probably cost us the 1st down.
    jlwaters1
    NET Veteran

• Well right at the end of the season I do recall Wilson saying he liked Bevell and the chemistry they had been developing.

see it as you will

Our secondary is gonna be like the Bermuda Triangle this year again boys! 2/3rds of the world is covered by water..... the rest is covered by the LOB!

Made....Laid.....Paid!!!
    nwgamer
    NET Starter

• jlwaters1 wrote:
    shawnsim wrote:
    kearly wrote:I think Bevell deserves a lot of credit. Most teams that run read-option in the NFL commit to it fairly strictly (SF with Kaepernick, Carolina, Washington, etc), and the offenses they run are very obviously dumbed down. Late in the season I thought Bevell did an awesome job of mixing read option with a traditional offense. The result was a whole lot of games over 400 or even 500 total yards. People talk about playcalling/predictability but that is just one aspect of what an OC brings to a team. How that OC fits the existing talent is what is most important, and Bevell fits it perfectly. And for the record, I think Bevell's playcalling is just fine. Most of the crying over his playcalling comes in brutal losses where the offense did it's job and the defense didn't, and MMQB'ing takes over.

why is that considered a bad call, I want to know? Afterall that play worked like clockwork throughout the season. We ran it maybe a half dozen times and EVERY TIME it got a first down in the regular season. So why exactly was it a bad call? Because it didn't work? If that's the only argument than it's very weak indeed.

I don't know if you caught this but on the 3rd and 1 A) PC was trying to call a timeout. 2) it was reported that the Seahawks OL missed a check at the LOS on that play, because of the noise. Those missed details probably cost us the 1st down.

Simply because we should have gone for the points. We should have gone for momentum. We blew it and lost by a field goal. Not too hard to understand.
    shawnsim
    NET Rookie

• Good to hear. Some unfinished business in 2013....
    60 percent of the time..........it works........every time
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• Smartly played. We were fine loosing one key coordinator but not two
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• Just surprised that Bevell is the one the Seahawks fought to keep here. See ya Gus!
    #NEXTMANUP
    Evil_Shenanigans
    NET Veteran

• Bevell..... The greatest 2nd half playoff coach in the league. Sorry it's still just to raw for me. I will like him next year when we are 8-0.
    Shock2k
    NET Veteran

• Sounds good to me! Tremendous!
    MrCarey
    NET Veteran

• Dang. I didnt see this. Sorry.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• This bodes well for continued growth of #3 for sure! Was iistening to Golden Tate on the radio today and he was all about working with the OC and Wilson off season!
    seahawksfan4ever
    NET Bench Warmer

• I am very happy about this. I want to keep the rhythm we had going with the offense at the end of the season.

Wilson even said on Brock and Salk today that he wanted to keep learning from Bevell in the offseason.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

• Shit. Busy day!

This is great news. Bevel has been maturing very nicely as a playcaller since we brought him in last year. Wasn't too sure about all the vanilla last year and early this year, but I don't think i had a single complaint about anything the did in the second half of this past season. The consistency with this OC will be good for Rusty too.

I love the way this team operates.
    Radish, check your PMs. Man upstairs has an invite for a tail gate up in heaven with your name on it.
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

• Great move. Questionable play calls or not, it takes a real OC to adapt to a unique QB like Wilson. Get him some more weapons and let's see what Bevell can do.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter at @17power
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• Glad to hear it.
    San Fransisco. Still partying like it's 1981.
    Mistashoesta
    NET Veteran

• Love the move. I have been a big Bevell supporter.

I think he has designed a passing game that has got the most out of the receiving crew that is fairly average and *gasp* Russell Wilson. He never asked him to do too much and designed an entire offense around his strengths rather than trying to pigeon-hole him into a system. He certainly never ran the read-option extensively before this year so kudos to him for being able to install it and make it work with a high level of efficiency.

I am excited to see some continuity on the offensive side of the ball as that became out strength down the stretch.
    Driver of the PC/JS Super Bowl wagon since 2010
    Sherman looks like a ballet master in grand jeté –
    a trash-talking, dreadlocked Baryshnikov suspended
    impossibly above the turf – pro football's paean to
    wanton human destruction slips into the sublime.
    TDOTSEAHAWK
    NET Veteran

• I admit I've been quick to yell 'WTF?!' at some plays, but I also admit I have no idea what I'm talking about and I'm usually just lashing out emotionally when I yell at Bevell through the TV. That said, I am thrilled that DB and RW & Co. can get started immediately after Russell's honeymoon and develop the world-class offense that everyone knows Wilson is capable of running. Great news!
    HawkAroundTheClock
    NET Veteran

• Well, let me be the first to say that this sucks.

I am not a supporter of Bevell at all and was excited to the idea of him going elsewhere.

Oh well, I will still be heard from miles around rooting for the Seahawks next season during the good or bad!!!
    It was a catch.
    SeaMeat
    NET Veteran

• I don't get how you can't like what we saw from our offense w/ Bevell during the latter half of the year...
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

• kidhawk wrote:I have questioned the way we handcuffed Wilson early in the season, and even had some issues early in games later in the season, but I do think they are learning each other and another year of continuity should be a positive thing for both of them.

Yeah, he's slowly catching on. Turn Wilson loose and we win games. The smart thing for him to do now is develop more bread and butter plays that compliment Wilson's unique skill set.
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

• great...now work on those 4th and 1 plays
    NJSeaHawk
    NET Veteran

• shawnsim wrote:
    jlwaters1 wrote:
    shawnsim wrote:

Simply because we should have gone for the points. We should have gone for momentum. We blew it and lost by a field goal. Not too hard to understand.

Your gripe is with Pete then, not Bevell. It was not Bevell's decision to not kick the FG.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

• Awesome move! I think Bevell does a great job of designing plays that take advantage of what our receivers do well. I get the feeling that there is a lot more to this playbook than we have seen so far. As the players and OC continue to grow together, I expect this to be a very consistent and productive offense thats also going to make you say "wow" 2 or 3 times a game!

GO HAWKS!
    canfan
    NET Rookie

• THREEMENDOUS! Get it? RW's signature line and he's #3.
    Mandu
    NET Starter

• Seahawk Sailor wrote:Outstanding news! This is the first time we've had the same QB/OC paring in how many years now?

Since 2007-2008, Gil Haskell and Matt Hasselbeck.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

• Unlike some others on here, I actually like Bevell's playcalling so I'm glad he's staying.
    Sturm
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:00 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information