John Schneider on KJR tomorrow 7am

GoHawks

Reaction score
mitch levy‏@kjrmitch

Attn Seahawks fans - GM John Schneider joins us for an extended interview tomorrow morn at 7am

The Outfield

Reaction score
Darn, too early for me. Hopefully someone can post a gist of what's said.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":9mrm82as said:
Listening to the PODCAST right now... Schneider is just a cool dude on top of being a great GM.

I think this is one of the main reasons for the Hawks success. The fact that both Carroll and Schneider use their youthful personalities to relate to the players.

In the NFL where the norm is usually old cranky coach and old out of touch GM, it's a breath of fresh air to listen to Pete and John's enthusiasm.

hawk45

Reaction score
Out of all the interviews, GM interviews are the worst, worse than HC interviews, worse than Russell Wilson interviews. Their job depends on a constant poker face, both inward-facing and outward-facing, so they can say literally nothing of worth. I can't stand it. I love Schneider and yeah he sounds like a cool guy but like all GM interviews nothing interesting was said.

Mitch asked if he had an opinion about the Atlanta game. He didn't. He wouldn't say if he thought defensive scheme had something to do with it, or if lack of pass rush had anything to do with it, the most he would say is that it's a young team that needs to learn to close out games, which is the least offensive and most meaningless thing one could say by way of explanation (not to mention the youngest guy, the QB, has no probs whatsoever closing out games playing under the most pressure).

Mitch asked what we might be interested in during the offseason, pass rushers, WRs, etc., and again no opinion, just deflection.

Basically blah blah blah so excited blah blah blah. He let Mitch float a few ideas, for instance Mitch said that as you get further in a multi-year rebuild process, you get further away from 1000 transactions and closer to the point where you have a couple of big needs to get you over the top, and that perhaps it's at that point you look harder at packaging picks or going big in free agency. Schneider said that yes, as a general matter, that is a true statement, but that the Seahawks have an approach and won't veer from it dramatically. In other words, he said nothing. But yeah he said it enthusiastically.

Again, love Schneider but good God do I hate GM interviews, so annoying and frustrating and just not really worth the air time. It's nobody's fault, it's just the nature of their job.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":31x6ua43 said:
FlyingGreg":31x6ua43 said:
Listening to the PODCAST right now... Schneider is just a cool dude on top of being a great GM.

I think this is one of the main reasons for the Hawks success. The fact that both Carroll and Schneider use their youthful personalities to relate to the players.

In the NFL where the norm is usually old cranky coach and old out of touch GM, it's a breath of fresh air to listen to Pete and John's enthusiasm.

Definitely. I got to chat with John at camp last summer - he is just a great guy.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
hawk45":yuvlzc71 said:
Out of all the interviews, GM interviews are the worst, worse than HC interviews, worse than Russell Wilson interviews. Their job depends on a constant poker face, both inward-facing and outward-facing, so they can say literally nothing of worth. I can't stand it. I love Schneider and yeah he sounds like a cool guy but like all GM interviews nothing interesting was said.

Mitch asked if he had an opinion about the Atlanta game. He didn't. He wouldn't say if he thought defensive scheme had something to do with it, or if lack of pass rush had anything to do with it, the most he would say is that it's a young team that needs to learn to close out games, which is the least offensive and most meaningless thing one could say by way of explanation (not to mention the youngest guy, the QB, has no probs whatsoever closing out games playing under the most pressure).

Mitch asked what we might be interested in during the offseason, pass rushers, WRs, etc., and again no opinion, just deflection.

Basically blah blah blah so excited blah blah blah. He let Mitch float a few ideas, for instance Mitch said that as you get further in a multi-year rebuild process, you get further away from 1000 transactions and closer to the point where you have a couple of big needs to get you over the top, and that perhaps it's at that point you look harder at packaging picks or going big in free agency. Schneider said that yes, as a general matter, that is a true statement, but that the Seahawks have an approach and won't veer from it dramatically. In other words, he said nothing. But yeah he said it enthusiastically.

Again, love Schneider but good God do I hate GM interviews, so annoying and frustrating and just not really worth the air time. It's nobody's fault, it's just the nature of their job.

You don't have to listen, lol...

kearly

Reaction score
Haven't listened to this interview yet, but I really, really like JS's interviews. He's very candid about revealing his draft boards from past drafts (which is very uncommon for GMs to do). He doesn't lie and is fairly open about the areas of need for the team. I look forward to JS interviews more than any others, because he almost always drops at least a few hints, if you know what to listen for.

hawk45

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":28z1a04z said:
He definitely drops hints.

Agreed that I shouldn't be listening to GM interviews since I feel they're so useless, but as long as I'm here, please tell me what hints the guy dropped in that interview or moments of candor that weren't immediately reversed or softened or made moot by subsequent points.

If he's revealed his draft board after the fact okay yeah that's interesting, but again that refers to a draft that's already gone. I still submit that as it concerns upcoming seasons he says absolutely nothing (which is as it should be).