Thoughts on Bruce Irvin + Future

Bruce Irvin's Performance this year (SEA #1 Pick)

• 1. Bad. look for someone better in Draft

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • 2. Descent, but Should not have been 1st pick

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • 3. Good, for his rookie year. He should be great next year.

Votes: 95 55.2%
  • 4. Great. Worth 1st Pick, was the right choice

Votes: 13 7.6%

• Total voters

FreshlySnipes

Reaction score
Sup 12th man, its your boy Freshly Snipes (Rxstr8 on YouTube). I am currently working the 12 steps of SA (Seahawks Anonymous) and seeking acceptance. This being said, I still look back on the Season and cannot be happier. Im not going to lie, I was skeptical of RW3 starting over Matt Flynn but I believed and supported in Pete Carroll and John Schneider's decision to go with Russell Wilson. I am so excited for our future with Russell Wilson in control, this is just the beginning of a dynasty!

I want to talk about Bruce Irvin.... these are my thoughts/ concerns:

- Bruce Irvin has the Potential to be hella sick BUT.....

- Irvin Had a decent rookie year, but he did not step up when it came down to it (AKA Starting vs. Atlanta).

- His attitude in interviews and videos seems nonchalant and careless to say the least.

- He looked tired/lazy during the Atlanta Game.

Dont Forget to Vote for Russell Wilson as Rookie MVP! - Freshly

themunn

Reaction score
- His attitude in interviews and videos seems nonchalant and careless to say the least.

I never got that vibe at all, I see a guy desperate to prove himself to the world.

I think he had a great rookie year, 8 sacks is no joke, even if he couldn't do much more - Von Miller had 11.5 as a rookie as an every down player for a defense that was on the field a LOT, and he's considered one of the best pass rushers in the league.

We all knew he was raw coming into the league, but then again Bruce Smith only had 6.5 sacks his rookie year

HighlandHawk

Reaction score
He's got a high ceiling but needs to develop quickly. He's had a good rookie year but hit a wall and struggle in the later part of the season. Another full offseason under his belt and we should see how he develops. He does have the risk that he won't develop any further but regardless I'll happily take 6-10 sacks a season as a situational pass rusher even if he was a first round pick.

As for interviews I don't think he's careless or nonchalant he just doesn't interview well, some guys do great interviews and have great camera/radio presence and some just don't.

Throwdown

Reaction score
If he can add a bit more muscle and a swim move this offseason, QB's are in trouble.

Dude got 9 sacks pretty much based off his speed alone.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
FreshlySnipes":161sigrg said:
- Bruce Irvin has the Potential to be hella sick BUT.....

Yes, yes he does, but probably always in a situational role... at least for the foreseeable future.

- Irvin Had a decent rookie year, but he did not step up when it came down to it (AKA Starting vs. Atlanta).

Atlanta did a good job against him, and took him out of his game by running so effectively early on. Seemed like Irvin got caught up in selling out to defend the run - especially since this was the first time the team was leaning on him to be an all-around DE instead of just a pass rusher. Trying to do more than he was prepared to do.

:34853_doh:

- He looked tired/lazy during the Atlanta Game.

Tired, most definitely. It was the first time he was playing that much of a game, and I think lots of folks expected him to wear down as a result.

scifly

Reaction score
According to his second half stats, teams have figured out how to stop Bruce. Hes got to switch up his technique or I definitely see a soph slump incoming.

Throwdown

Reaction score
scifly":3qi5ld6q said:
According to his second half stats, teams have figured out how to stop Bruce. Hes got to switch up his technique or I definitely see a soph slump incoming.

You talking about when his 3rd down running mate Jones went out?

Zowert

Reaction score
8 sacks, a FF and 20 solo tackles for a guy that got very limited playing time. I don't know why people are so worried, and further more people calling him a bust already.

He's going to get stronger and faster. I'm sure the D line coach will be having Irvin packing on some weight (lean muscle so he can keep his speed).

The thing is, speedy type DE's rarely dominate the NFL. It takes more balanced guys, with speed and power. Bruce has the speed. He's faster than any defensive lineman in the league. He just needs to work hard this off-season and get some power underneath him. He can't push those big O-lineman back, so he has to beat them around the edge. Which is tough because although offensive tackles are big and much slower than him, they can move laterally pretty damn quickly. All they need to do is push Irvin off balance on his way around the edge and he's totally out of the play.

canfan

Reaction score
I think he was productive and brought pressure consistently when he was on the field. i believe he did what was asked of him, but JS/PC have hit big on so many draft choices who have produced at a high level early that I for one have been spoiled! I expect anybody they pick to step onto the field and play lights out, dominating football! That hasn't been the case here, so I feel a little let down by the lack of "sizzle" plays.

I think Pete likely knew Bruce would be a work in progress, but didn't want to chance losing him by waiting until the second round. I have faith in what our FO does, but a small niggling part of me still is whispering "why didn't they pick Chandler Jones?"

Throwdown

Reaction score
Zowert":1rwx4jrr said:
8 sacks, a FF and 20 solo tackles for a guy that got very limited playing time. I don't know why people are so worried, and further more people calling him a bust already.

He's going to get stronger and faster. I'm sure the D line coach will be having Irvin packing on some weight (lean muscle so he can keep his speed).

The thing is, speedy type DE's rarely dominate the NFL. It takes more balanced guys, with speed and power. Bruce has the speed. He's faster than any defensive lineman in the league. He just needs to work hard this off-season and get some power underneath him. He can't push those big O-lineman back, so he has to beat them around the edge. Which is tough because although offensive tackles are big and much slower than him, they can move laterally pretty damn quickly. All they need to do is push Irvin off balance on his way around the edge and he's totally out of the play.

Mel Kiper's still in their ear?

TJH

Reaction score
Throwdown":dtufl9b4 said:
Zowert":dtufl9b4 said:

Mel Kiper's still in their ear?

Or maybe we have eyes and can see that he gets destroyed on 95% of plays and forces the team to play 10 on 11 football against the run.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
I didn't see that Irvin was lazy. He gives up a lot of size and is a speed player and it wears on him. The NFL plays a longer season and it shows on the younger guys. He only plays part time and did pretty well in that role. Lets give him a couple years and see how he does.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Besides being a QB or a MLB becoming a productive rush DE is one of the toughest things to accomplish in the NFL. Irvin had excellent production as a rookie which seems to be overlooked by the negative thinkers about him here. It often takes a while for a player to figure out the moves needed to consistently succeed. Meanwhile this rookie got 8 sacks, put on consistent pressure with 20 solo tackles and a forced fumble. Oh, besides that he 's fast as blazes, you can't teach that, and about to go into his second season in an NFL weights program which should help his run game. The negative folks need to recognize this kid has legit talent and we've only seen the beginnings.

I'd not be surprised if he added some weight this offseason. He had a good if not excellent rookie campaign and will likely be much improved next season. If the team acquires an interior pass rush to flush the opposing QBs from the pocket Irvin is going to light it up.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
At this point, he doesn't seem worth the pick. He has time to change that perception. I understand that. Wagner has performance value equal to Irvin's draft position, IMO.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Tough crowd to please around here, really disagree as to the negative thinking on Irvin. Maybe he'll be a Leo and maybe not, but he will be an improved pass rusher next season.

TJH

Reaction score
jammerhawk":3cu42jzk said:
Tough crowd to please around here, really disagree as to the negative thinking on Irvin. Maybe he'll be a Leo and maybe not, but he will be an improved pass rusher next season.

The issue is whether or not he was worth the 15th pick in the draft. Great pass rushers are usually great right away(Miller, Aldon, Ware, Watt etc) it's disconcerting to have to have a wait and hope "maybe" mindset about such a high pick. He just isn't a player teams have to account for right now.

Largent80

Reaction score
Throwdown":2nnu2bq6 said:
If he can add a bit more muscle and a swim move this offseason, QB's are in trouble.

Dude got 9 sacks pretty much based off his speed alone.

And he got those 9 in a very limited role. Great rookie season if you ask me, and it usually takes 2 or 3 years for DE's to get cranked up. Quinn will help him a LOT.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
bestfightstory":2m40h7xf said:
At this point, he doesn't seem worth the pick. He has time to change that perception. I understand that. Wagner has performance value equal to Irvin's draft position, IMO.

It could be said that all of the DEs from the 2012 draft didn't really seem worth where they were picked, honestly.

As for sacks, Irvin had as many sacks this year as the next two selections (Coples, McClellin) combined. And he did it playing a situational role.

He may never be an every-down player, but if he can help the team get off the field on 3rd downs with regularity in the future, I'd say it's a pick well spent. So far, 5.5 of his 8 sacks came on 3rd down to end an opponent's drive, and one of the others was on 2nd down that forced a fumble recovered by the Seahawks.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
He played part time, only one start, and was the league rookie sacks leader. This in a scheme where his talents arguably may have been better employed as a Leo but there was a better candidate already on the team. A bit more seasoning and more opportunity along with a complimentary DLine and we'll see great things from Bruce.

Some patience and perspective regarding regarding him and his rookie season is required, I'm quite sure the team was pleased with his rookie season even if a few here think he wasn't worth the pick. BTW how did the other rookie pass rushers from the draft pan out? Seems to me the Hawks got the best guy.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
TJH":3slplz2u said:
jammerhawk":3slplz2u said:

The issue is whether or not he was worth the 15th pick in the draft. Great pass rushers are usually great right away(Miller, Aldon, Ware, Watt etc) it's disconcerting to have to have a wait and hope "maybe" mindset about such a high pick. He just isn't a player teams have to account for right now.

Von Miller as a rookie: 11.5 sacks
Aldon Smith as a rookie: 14.0 sacks
Demarcus Ware as a rookie: 8.0 sacks
J.J. Watt as a rookie: 5.5 sacks
Elvis Dumervil as a rookie: 8.5 sacks
Jason Pierre-Paul as a rookie: 4.5 sacks
Osi Umenyiora as a rookie: 1.0 sack

Reggie White as a rookie: 13.0 sacks
Michael Strahan as a rookie: 1.0 sack (4.5 in his first full season)

Bruce Irvin as a rookie: 8.0 sacks

---

Yeah, great pass rushers aren't "usually" great right away. It varies a bit, depending on the player and the system into which they've been inserted. But even if we accept the premise, seems that Irvin is on a Dumervil/Ware type of schedule. Sucks a lot, huh?