Osi to the hawks very logical per Clayton

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Was listening to his show, and he thinks its the most logical landing spot. Said we could expect something like a 1year 4 million type deal.

Now, Clayton is wrong pretty much 95% of the time these days, but I'd like this one to work out as he says. Just seems to make a ton of sense for both parties.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
Whaaaaat? I campaigned for this LAST off-season. Not so sure I care so much this year-as I didn't pay any attention to him and don't know what he has left. Is he a free agent? Whoever we go after, I'm expecting us to load up on players across the D-Line and let them battle it out in camp.

brendonkuhn

Reaction score
Thread title is a little misleading. A logical landing spot does not mean "very likely."

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
We need a dude like this on our team - if he is serious about winning. I don't a single player on our team has won a Super Bowl and having a veteran oh his caliber would be nice.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
That would be friggin great, and would let us spend some on a WR.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
I think Osi is a little over the hill and I'm not a big fan of his attitude. But if we got him for cheap, sure, why not, give it a go.

OP
OP
Coug_Hawk08

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
He talked about it a bit the other day as well. Saying our system is set up well for Osi to succeed and produce sacks (allowing him to potentially get one more big deal the following season). Osi made it no secret last season he liked the hawks, and the hawks had interest in trading for him. Compensation was too great, so we did not make the move. Now that he is a free agent, lets hope it all comes together.

Would be very clutch if Clem can't star the season. Would be awesome to see a NASCAR type package with Clem, osi and Irvin. Bring the heeeeeeeeeeat!

Osi is the same age as Clem by the way. . . With no acl injuries. The age comments are a bit silly.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":2ip887ww said:
He talked about it a bit the other day as well. Saying our system is set up well for Osi to succeed and produce sacks (allowing him to potentially get one more big deal the following season). Osi made it no secret last season he liked the hawks, and the hawks had interest in trading for him. Compensation was too great, so we did not make the move. Now that he is a free agent, lets hope it all comes together.

Would be very clutch if Clem can't star the season. Would be awesome to see a NASCAR type package with Clem, osi and Irvin. Bring the heeeeeeeeeeat!

Osi is the same age as Clem by the way. . . With no acl injuries. The age comments are a bit silly.
I will be stunned if Clem sees the field very much, if at all next year.

Zowert

Reaction score
I was lingering around the Vikings forums and noticed more than one thread about Jared Allen. Seems to be quite a bit of talk about the Vikings off-loading Jared Allen this off season since he is coming to the final year of his contract. Allen is 30 years old and I suppose the Vikings are trying to get as much as they can for him, before his value drops significantly.

In 2011 Jared Allen has 22 sacks. Then this last season he put up 12 sacks, quite the drop. But 22 sacks in a single season is ridiculous anyway.

This is all rumor. So i'm not thinking anything of it. But I wouldn't mind the Hawks pursuing Jared Allen. The downside is his contract. He will take up a considerable amount of cap space, however its only for one season. Then we could sign him to a two or three year deal and have him for the twilight of his prime, up to age 33, then let him walk. Thirty years old isn't too old for a DE is it? Especially an elite pass rusher like Jared Allen.

Not sure why the Vikings would want to get rid of Allen, other than his value..? Or wait, the Vikings do have a pretty solid D-line already, but Allen is their D-line's workhorse. Maybe they want to open up some cap space..

dunceface

Reaction score
Do it.......Do it
1234525508_ben_stiller_-_do_it.gif

bestfightstory

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3ukbsacb said:

Isn't there some kind of new roster injury exception where we can let him focus on healing and then return for the last portion of the season and playoff run or am I imagining this to make myself feel better?

jkitsune

Reaction score
bestfightstory":1rx4xm68 said:
Scottemojo":1rx4xm68 said:

Isn't there some kind of new roster injury exception where we can let him focus on healing and then return for the last portion of the season and playoff run or am I imagining this to make myself feel better?

Yes, this exists now. You can designate one (I think) player as IR but eligible to return. There's also the PUP list, and players can come off of that after a certain amount of time. I wouldn't be surprised if Clemons is able to return in the latter half of the year.

HawksFTW

Reaction score
bestfightstory":2wgvdt4f said:
Scottemojo":2wgvdt4f said:

If you are thinking of the new IR rule, I believe he would have to pass a physical first to be considered for it. There is the PUP list, which basically would hold him out until week 7 at the earliest, week 12 at the latest.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
bestfightstory":18bbidta said:
Scottemojo":18bbidta said:

Yes. IR doesn't have to end the season now. There just isn't any track record for defensive ends having much impact the season after an ACL, especially in the 30's. I think Pete's admission we need a couple of pass rushers was open admission Clem is not being relied on to come back in 2013.

HawksFTW

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2dolxml1 said:
bestfightstory":2dolxml1 said:
Scottemojo":2dolxml1 said:

Yes. IR doesn't have to end the season now. There just isn't any track record for defensive ends having much impact the season after an ACL, especially in the 30's. I think Pete's admission we need a couple of pass rushers was open admission Clem is not being relied on to come back in 2013.

If Clem can't pass his physical before the first week of the season, I don't think he can be eligible for the new IR rule. I could be remembering this incorrectly, but I believe in order to use the eligible to return designation, the player must be on the final 53 man roster. It makes a lot more sense to put him on the PUP list, and stretch it out the maximum amount of time, which is I believe 12 weeks (6 weeks, plus 3 practice, plus 3 to activate).

warden

Reaction score
Unlikely

JS/PC will not spend large on someone in their thirties. Any big free agent signing will be for someone in their early to mid twenties. If that someone is not available, they will be low key in FA.

That has pretty much been the course of action the first 3 offseason with these two in charge

OP
OP
Coug_Hawk08

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
warden":2wbl5q8n said:
Unlikely

JS/PC will not spend large on someone in their thirties. Any big free agent signing will be for someone in their early to mid twenties. If that someone is not available, they will be low key in FA.

That has pretty much been the course of action the first 3 offseason with these two in charge

Disagree. When faced with similar issues, we have dipped into FA for cast off vets. Alan branch, Raheem Brock, milloy etc. With the injury to Clem, we can not afford to sit idle in FA just because some hot shot 26 year old that we like is not available. 4 million for Osi is cheap, and he has proven production. If we can draft someone and sign him, even better. A one year deal is pretty low key IMO.

I just think we will do whatever it takes to win now, while not hindering the future. A middle of the road one year deal is win/win under the circumstances.

We shall see.

entropyrulesall

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":3b80h9lt said:
warden":3b80h9lt said:
Unlikely

Disagree. When faced with similar issues, we have dipped into FA for cast off vets. Alan branch, Raheem Brock, milloy etc. With the injury to Clem, we can not afford to sit idle in FA just because some hot shot 26 year old that we like is not available. 4 million for Osi is cheap, and he has proven production. If we can draft someone and sign him, even better. A one year deal is pretty low key IMO.

I just think we will do whatever it takes to win now, while not hindering the future. A middle of the road one year deal is win/win under the circumstances.

We shall see.

Also, Robert Gallery. We signed him to a 3 yr, front heavy deal. He was stop gap for one year and we cut him after that and he retired. I would love for Osi to come here and do the same. Except, of course, for him to perform better than Gallery did.