Playing Red Bryant inside?

getnasty

Reaction score
I'm sure its been talked about before and i missed it, so can someone explain why he wouldn't be good inside. I love Red but his lack of pass rush on 1st and 2nd down kill us.

Throwdown

Reaction score
He did play inside his first 2 years and almost found his way off the team until the coaching staff realized he looked awkward inside and moved him outside.

scifly

Reaction score
His run stopping skills are mediocre if that. Now his production comes from special teams only, he's invisible otherwise. Kudos for getting his money tho, that's one crafty, fat burglar.

jkitsune

Reaction score
scifly":uj2rpsyh said:
His run stopping skills are mediocre if that. Now his production comes from special teams only, he's invisible otherwise. Kudos for getting his money tho, that's one crafty, fat burglar.

:roll: Human beings never underperform their own expectations despite their best effort.

OP
OP
G

getnasty

Reaction score
scifly":1cccu2xk said:

Red's been playing hurt all year, i don't think its a case were he got paid and doesn't work hard anymore. Hopefully he can get healthy and he's back to his old form. With more teams going to the read option he sure make me nervous out on the edge.

drdiags

Reaction score
Red himself would talk about getting his technique correct, that his pad level would get him in trouble playing DT. His height gave him issues when it came to getting his pads lower.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
I think he was ineffective when he started inside, in fact I think it was Quinn who put him on the outside.

I'm not sure why scifly would say his run stopping skills are mediocre if that.. He's been a beast stopping the run, unfortunately he's been hurt and his injury is such that him even playing is a credit to him.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I think the vibe was that he's too tall to play inside and lost leverage against better guards.

BASF

Reaction score
getnasty":2pyly7dk said:
scifly":2pyly7dk said:

Red's been playing hurt all year, i don't think its a case were he got paid and doesn't work hard anymore. Hopefully he can get healthy and he's back to his old form. With more teams going to the read option he sure make me nervous out on the edge.

As much as you are correct, don't bother trying to tell some that it's because he was hurt. Remember Shaun got paid and then his effort dropped off according to people like this despite him playing on a broken foot for a couple of weeks.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
The problem we have with Red is...we are wasting a pass rusher when he is out on the field.

We need to re-think the whole concept. I'm hoping Dan Quinn helps with that.

drrew

Reaction score
Being that Dan Quinn was actually the guy who put into motion moving Red outside, I don't see it changing anytime soon.

Plantar fasciitis, which is apparently what he suffered through this year is absolute hell, if he can get that under control, you'll see a different Red Bryant out there.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Love Red and he is a team leader but adding more guys at DE and keeping him on the field less might work out better for our pass rush. vs heavy passing teams like New Orleans and Atlanta it would benefit us to have 2 de's on the field who can rush the passer but play the run to some degree.

Jville

Reaction score
The references to playing too high and needing improved hand work are the reasons I remember for moving him inside.

I have no doubt that a healthy Red Byrant will return to his dominating style of play next year.

With regard to scheme, there has been a continual league wide shortage of pass rushers for years now. The scheme the Seahawks have chosen to respond with has been innovative. Much better than sitting on ones hands and waiting a series of years for a pass rusher to show up. The scheme acknowledges the shortage of pass rushers. I have no ax to grind with the team over their chosen method to deal with a shortage the league has no control over. I think they have been smart about how they have dealt with the talent shortage.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":17qzvy1g said:
The problem we have with Red is...we are wasting a pass rusher when he is out on the field.

We need to re-think the whole concept. I'm hoping Dan Quinn helps with that.
Wishfully, we find another human cannon ball, someone like a Cotez Kennedy for Quinn to throw at O-lines.
If you can't collapse the pocket, or at least disrupt their protection of the QB, you wind up with the Seahawks D-line again next Season.

JKent82

Reaction score
I'm curious if he would be able to now. He's clearly a different player than he was a few years ago and 6' 4" isn't unheard of at all for DT. I mean hell Alan Branch is 6' 6". I think it was clear he was hampered by his foot so maybe he'll be fine outside but it is definitely an issue for early pass rush.

Of course Red might just not be able to play at a low of pad level regardless of what he does. He needs to get healthy, but depending on what happens in free agency I'd be open to him spending more time inside. He obviously owns at blocking kicks inside though that's pretty different to be fair.

He's just such a beast I feel he could do some damage inside.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
JKent82":10qr55ja said:
I'm curious if he would be able to now. He's clearly a different player than he was a few years ago and 6' 4" isn't unheard of at all for DT. I mean hell Alan Branch is 6' 6". I think it was clear he was hampered by his foot so maybe he'll be fine outside but it is definitely an issue for early pass rush.

Of course Red might just not be able to play at a low of pad level regardless of what he does. He needs to get healthy, but depending on what happens in free agency I'd be open to him spending more time inside. He obviously owns at blocking kicks inside though that's pretty different to be fair.

He has the stature of a beast, but he doesn't play like it.

I like Red. I just think he is playing out of position.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":3kkxbfg4 said:
JKent82":3kkxbfg4 said:

They moved him to the outside because he wasn't playing well inside. His play immediately improved when Quinn moved him. How does that equate to him playing 'out of position?'

Plantar Fascitis is pretty dabilitating, ya know? Especially for a big guy.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
I will say it ... He makes a lot of $$ and his production is not there. I see him as replaced if they can find a better scheme wise player. He is very much a one trick pony. Edge pressure is a must and with Irvin a situational player we have to get more push on every down.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
The 4-3 under scheme is designed to create pressure from the LEO and three-technique. The whole point of the scheme is to create favourable match-ups for those two players and exploit one side. The five-technique isn't asked to do a lot of pass rushing.

The reason this scheme doesn't work in terms of a pass rush is because we have a 6-6, 325lbs monster playing the three-technique, and not a 295lbs athletic interior pass rusher.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":w5mmplxq said:
FlyingGreg":w5mmplxq said:
JKent82":w5mmplxq said:

They moved him to the outside because he wasn't playing well inside. His play immediately improved when Quinn moved him. How does that equate to him playing 'out of position?'

Plantar Fascitis is pretty dabilitating, ya know? Especially for a big guy.

I take it you don't actually watch the games? That's the only explanation for this question.

His play "immediately improved" 2 years ago. That's the response?

His injury is definitely a consideration. The bigger point, which keeps getting ignored, is that he is the ONLY DE IN THE NFL THAT IS NOT IN THE LINE-UP TO RUSH THE PASSER. That's why he is playing out of position - he is not rushing the passer, as a DE.