2013 Salary Cap

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Does anyone remember a time when i actually knew a thing or two about the salary cap? I had almost every contract sorted out and in the spreadsheet and wrote about it once in while.

I stopped several years ago, mostly because chasing the information got to be too much of a hassle and then we actually had a year WITHOUT a cap (unless you're the Redskins or Cowboys).

In 2011 we brought it back, and then something else happened: getting the information has become easier.

Thanks to Rotoworld and Spotrac, you can find out just about everything about every contract. Also, thanks to the fixed rookie deals, many contracts have become easier to track. Time was high draft picks had mulit-tiered bonuses and Deion rules and crap that made the math wacky. That time has ended for the time being at least. Now we can ALL be cap experts if we care enough to take the time.

So today, I went back to see if I could figure it out.

There is an unofficial report (Clayton, I think) that has the Seahawks going into 2013 with $18.3M in available cap. This includes a carryover from 2012 of $13.2M. I went and added it all up and BINGO I figured our available cap going into 2013 at $18.3M! Coincidence?? Probably!!

The thing to watch before free agency starts is who the "cap casualties" might be. My only near-certain casualty is Obomanu, who has a base salary in 2013 of $2.3M. If he's cut, the available cap goes to nearly $20M.

The other thing to watch is Zach Miller has a $11M cap figure. There may be ways to bring that down a little, but not much.

I will attempt to stay on top of this during the off-season. Or else, I might just get frustrated and give up. We'll see!!!

sutz

Reaction score
Sounds like Miller would be a candidate for a restructure to shift that money into prorated bonuses and lower salary.

IIRC the carry over function ends soon, right?

You were the 'cap guru, John. I'd love if you could pick that up again.

Thanks for the briefing IAE.

:th2thumbs:

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
Ben Obamanu, thank you for your service. You will go on my personal "What the hell was that WR's name?" list along with...um...oh yeah, Derrick Mayes and...and...

(looking up on the internet)

Sean Dawkins! Cannot ever remember his name!

QuahHawk

Reaction score
U were the cap master don't be modest.

I don't think we should restructure Zach Miller. We have a ton of cap space this year and have some big name we will have to resign in the next two years so why push his money any further back. Let's just get his big hit over with this year.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Wenhawk":tmc0xjyw said:

I don't think we should restructure Zach Miller. We have a ton of cap space this year and have some big name we will have to resign in the next two years so why push his money any further back. Let's just get his big hit over with this year.

Misconception about restructures - it doesn't mean the player gets LESS money, it's a matter of when they get it (i.e. signing bonus, roster bonus, option bonus, base pay, etc.)

hawks4thewin

Reaction score
you were always awesome with that... I can't count how many times I have said, "beats me but i'm sure Hawkstorian has it posted by now"

mikeak

Reaction score
You should have posted this earlier in the week and maybe the Jets would have called about the GM job :)

mikeak

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":2tn9jj78 said:
Wenhawk":2tn9jj78 said:

Misconception about restructures - it doesn't mean the player gets LESS money, it's a matter of when they get it (i.e. signing bonus, roster bonus, option bonus, base pay, etc.)

I don't think he misunderstood. He replied to someone wanting to spread out millers hit next year. I completely agree with the reply - don't. We want Miller to hit this comin year and in fact shoul look at what other players we could front load to free up money for Sherman, Browner in 2014 and then RW 2015. You can sign someone with a signing bonus to spread the cost. But you could also make the money in the first year of a new contract and take a huge hit that year and purposely not spread it out. Not many do because everyone has cap issues - we don't for next year.

McGruff

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":1jhofm0f said:
Does anyone remember a time when i actually knew a thing or two about the salary cap? I had almost every contract sorted out and in the spreadsheet and wrote about it once in while.

I stopped several years ago, mostly because chasing the information got to be too much of a hassle and then we actually had a year WITHOUT a cap (unless you're the Redskins or Cowboys).

In 2011 we brought it back, and then something else happened: getting the information has become easier.

Thanks to Rotoworld and Spotrac, you can find out just about everything about every contract. Also, thanks to the fixed rookie deals, many contracts have become easier to track. Time was high draft picks had mulit-tiered bonuses and Deion rules and crap that made the math wacky. That time has ended for the time being at least. Now we can ALL be cap experts if we care enough to take the time.

So today, I went back to see if I could figure it out.

There is an unofficial report (Clayton, I think) that has the Seahawks going into 2013 with $18.3M in available cap. This includes a carryover from 2012 of $13.2M. I went and added it all up and BINGO I figured our available cap going into 2013 at $18.3M! Coincidence?? Probably!!

The thing to watch before free agency starts is who the "cap casualties" might be. My only near-certain casualty is Obomanu, who has a base salary in 2013 of $2.3M. If he's cut, the available cap goes to nearly $20M.

The other thing to watch is Zach Miller has a $11M cap figure. There may be ways to bring that down a little, but not much.

I will attempt to stay on top of this during the off-season. Or else, I might just get frustrated and give up. We'll see!!!

Hi, John.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
McGruff":3t20xlor said:
Btw, we don't have a ton of cap. 18 million goes really fast.
We are in pretty darn good shape when you look around the league.

10 team are in the red.

McGruff

Reaction score
Sure, we are, but its not some windfall. If we want to front load future contracts, etc, and still sign keys guys, we're still going to need to make some adjsutments and cuts.

mikeak

Reaction score
Ten draft picks should help with keeping salaries in control. If Schneider & PC stays on path they should get 3 starters and 4 backups from that :)

leea35

Reaction score
Sometimes you have to look at who will be Free Agents after the 2013 season and decide how much of that salary you want to spend.

And in 2014, there will be quite of bit of interesting players joining the free agency: Doug Baldwin, Golden Tate, Michael Robinson...to name a few.

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
Yes Hawkstorian, I remember the value of your knowledge and did appreciate it.
Please keep it up for us lazy pukes as it provides a great service.

Our biggest threat is the 9ers. I am curious about their upcoming contracts besause I think they are near the edge capwise. I am sure they have some big contracts coming up soon.