Matt Flynn expected to be cut?

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I think it would be foolish to cut him. I know we could save some money, but if we hang on to him some team will get desperate enough to give up something for him. Besides that, he's a solid backup. To cut him would mean downgrading the team and losing any chance at compensation to save some room in the budget (which at this point, is not needed).

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
^ Agreed. Cutting him doesn't make sense. You trade him for picks or you hold on to him for depth.

Those teams "expecting him to be cut" - that's wishful thinking.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Nothing that wasn't being said about T-Jack last year and he never got cut either.

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
HawkFan72":3tyeqeef said:
but if we hang on to him some team will get desperate enough to give up something for him. Besides that, he's a solid backup. To cut him would mean downgrading the team and losing any chance at compensation to save some room in the budget (which at this point, is not needed).

Well... it often gets said that some desperate team will offer something. I think John Schneider has earned a level of respect now where if Flynn gets cut, it's because there wasn't a deal to be done.

I generally think we way overrate this guy as a fan base. He's going to be a 28-year-old career back-up earning over seven times more than our dynamic pro-bowl quarterback next year. That makes absolutely zero sense. We simply do not need Matt Flynn that badly. We can find a back-up. No other teams in the NFL are really wringing their hands over the backup QB situation.

And if we can save $3m or whatever that is IDEAL. Remember - any unused cap this year can be thrown forward to NEXT YEAR. Meaning a better opportunity to start re-signing our young talent as contracts get close to completion. That is why cap room every year is KING for this front office.

kidhawk":3tyeqeef said:
Nothing that wasn't being said about T-Jack last year and he never got cut either.

T-Jack wasn't due $5.25m and even more the following year.

pehawk

Reaction score
Or it could be the agent tryng to get a team to bite? A team higher up on the waiver-wire order.

The timing of this doesn't even make sense.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
Can't imagine any scenario whereby Flynn is simply let go. After the acceleration of the prorated portion of his signing bonus, the cap savings wouldn't be overly significant, and certainly not enough to offset the lost value of having him as a top tier backup QB. And the Hawks aren't hurting for cap space in the first place. Not even close, actually.

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
I think people need to be more prepared than they think for this happening.

There are obvious benefits to having extra cap room as discussed, plus he's due $5.25m this year and $6.25m the next. And any team that trades for Flynn will be stuck paying that salary to a 28-year-old with two career starts.

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":svnbza30 said:
And the Hawks aren't hurting for cap space in the first place. Not even close, actually.

That doesn't matter. Any unused cap in the new CBA can be thrown forward to the next year. Thus, making it a damn site easier to re-sign Okung, Thomas, Sherman or whoever when those rookie contracts expire.

pehawk

Reaction score
Or, yeah know, Matt's agent could be floating this out there so he has more say in where he goes.

The timing of the statement smells all sorts of fishy. Yeah, he's overvalued by some. But, the same way he's undervalued by others because of last years once in a lifetime QB market.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3clfol87 said:
HawkFan72":3clfol87 said:
but if we hang on to him some team will get desperate enough to give up something for him. Besides that, he's a solid backup. To cut him would mean downgrading the team and losing any chance at compensation to save some room in the budget (which at this point, is not needed).

Well... it often gets said that some desperate team will offer something. I think John Schneider has earned a level of respect now where if Flynn gets cut, it's because there wasn't a deal to be done.

I generally think we way overrate this guy as a fan base. He's going to be a 28-year-old career back-up earning over seven times more than our dynamic pro-bowl quarterback next year. That makes absolutely zero sense. We simply do not need Matt Flynn that badly. We can find a back-up. No other teams in the NFL are really wringing their hands over the backup QB situation.

And if we can save $3m or whatever that is IDEAL. Remember - any unused cap this year can be thrown forward to NEXT YEAR. Meaning a better opportunity to start re-signing our young talent as contracts get close to completion. That is why cap room every year is KING for this front office.

If it were any other position, I would agree with you.

But this is a QB we're talking about, and that is the most difficult position to find players for, and we have seen what even mediocre QBs can drive desperate teams to do on the trade market. And there are a bunch of teams this year who are looking for a QB to at least come in and compete for a starting job.

Flynn's contract is not trade-prohibitive. I am expecting at least a 6th rounder for him.

sutz

Reaction score
Doesn't make sense to me.

We might re-structure or something, but to just cut him loose with no compensation would be silly IMHO.

Oh, and show me where in the rule book or the CBA it says your backup must make less than a starter.

:229031_shrug:

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
pehawk":2gj4blgk said:
The timing of the statement smells all sorts of fishy.

I think it's more just a reporter having spoken to some teams, possibly at the Senior Bowl, and he's reported what he found out.

HawkFan72":2gj4blgk said:
If it were any other position, I would agree with you.

But this is a QB we're talking about, and that is the most difficult position to find players for, and we have seen what even mediocre QBs can drive desperate teams to do on the trade market. And there are a bunch of teams this year who are looking for a QB to at least come in and compete for a starting job.

Flynn's contract is not trade-prohibitive. I am expecting at least a 6th rounder for him.

There's also a bunch of rookie's to draft (this is a MUCH better class than most are reporting) and Flynn had no market last year when he was a free agent. This is the second high profile reporter (after Adam Schefter) reporting he might have no takers.

I just think a few people might be in for a surprise when they see how limited his market is.

And I would argue $5.25m in 2013 and $6.25m is pretty substantial for a guy pushing 30 with two career starts.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
kidhawk":2vogsygx said:

well... he probably would have though. Anyway you cant say for sure he wouldnt have been

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
sutz":23vhw2mu said:
Oh, and show me where in the rule book or the CBA it says your backup must make less than a starter.

:229031_shrug:

It doesn't, but when the back-up earns over ten (???) times more than your Pro-Bowl starter then it's time to consider that situation. We don't need to spend that much money on a guy who wears a cap and a big coat on game day.

pehawk

Reaction score
But, how would Seattle know there's no takers? And, what are other teams suppose to say "yes, I want him, please reduce my negotiating positioning and increase the cost by reporting that".

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
pehawk":3k0ezul0 said:
But, how would Seattle know there's no takers? And, what are other teams suppose to say "yes, I want him, please reduce my negotiating positioning and increase the cost by reporting that".

I don't get where you're coming from?

This to me seems like Jason Cole has polled some teams -- probably in Mobile this week -- and they've told him they think Flynn will be cut negating the need to trade. There are a lot of situations like that in the league every year.

And love or loathe Jason Cole, he's got some sources. Same with Adam Schefter, who uttered something similar in a mailbag last week basically saying his market will be cold.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
I would be absolutely shocked if he got cut. I was never on his bandwagon, so don't count me in your "we as a fanbase overrate our own players" but he's better than you're giving him credit for.

If Flynn is not a Hawk next year, I'm almost certain it's because he was traded, not cut.

pehawk

Reaction score
Yes, he's got sources. But, he doesn't get those sources unless he also floats crap too. That's the give and take, c'mon, you know that.

Think of it this way; would JS tell ANYONE he's interested in trading for Flynn if he was on the other end? Or, would he say no, so he doesn't have to compete wsith others to get the lowest cost?

Latest posts