Expectations for Wilson next season

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13

Realistic expectations for Russell Wilson next season

Picks up where he left off.
57%
Has a statistically worse year.
1%
Improves in TD/Int ratio
15%
Has a sophomore slump.
4%
Performs light years ahead of 2012 season.
24%

Total votes : 260

Expectations for Wilson next season
Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:22 am
  • Since we are all on board with Dangeruss as our QB of the present and future. How do you all think he will perform next season with a full offseason to get prepartation for separation?
    Go Hawks!
    oldhawkfan
    NET Veteran

Re: Expectations for Wilson next season
Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:29 am
  • He's gonna be mad ballin'! We'll collectively have to pick our jaws off the floor and have our eyes placed back into our heads.
    Greenhell
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:31 am
  • Lights out. No training wheels, full off-season in the program knowing he is the starter, more weapons around him (hopefully), cohesion, experience, preparation, study...

He's going to be dominating from Game 1.
    @SeahawkGreg

GIVE US YOUR PINK SLIP, SANTA CLARA WHINERS. WE OWN YOU
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:37 am
  • FlyingGreg wrote:Lights out. No training wheels, full off-season in the program knowing he is the starter, more weapons around him (hopefully), cohesion, experience, preparation, study...

At the same time, defenses are going to have a year of film on him and there will be more prep to stop him. I think he'll pick up where he left off, which is already pretty damn good, and improve in small increments over the course of the season, with an off game or two here or there as some defense throws a new wrinkle at him.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:44 am
  • I expect him to have about a 30 - 8 TD/INT ratio with 3500 or so yards. Figure his rushing yards will only marginally increase. We will see some audibles and wrinkles next year, and obviously he'll have a lot more freedom at the beginning of the year.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:46 am
  • More TDs and wins, fewer ints. Championship.
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:47 am
  • FlyingGreg wrote:Lights out. No training wheels, full off-season in the program knowing he is the starter, more weapons around him (hopefully), cohesion, experience, preparation, study...

Yep, exactly what i think. top 5 QB. Lights out. 30+ TD's and 4000 yards.
    "God Bless Russell Wilson"
    Chukarhawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:53 am
  • The interesting thing to watch next year is how the Carroll/Wilson relationship evolves.

As we found out this year Pete is reluctant to entrust 100% of the offense to Russell. It took him until week 9 or 10 to give Russell more control over play calling, check downs and formations.

IMO in order for Wilson to become the superstar we all know he can be, and to be in the upper tier of elite NFL QB's with Brady, Brees and Rodgers, Pete is going to have to allow RW the ultimate freedom to run the offense how he sees fit. Will Pete do that?

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see how that dynamic grows..........or stagnates if Pete is unwilling to FULLY give Russell control over the offense.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:01 am
  • If we call aggressive plays all game long next year, Russell Wilson will blow this year out of the water. If we work on further refining our 3-and-out technique that we became good at this year in the first halves of games instead, then...Who the hell knows?
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:03 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:The interesting thing to watch next year is how the Carroll/Wilson relationship evolves.

As we found out this year Pete is reluctant to entrust 100% of the offense to Russell. It took him until week 9 or 10 to give Russell more control over play calling, check downs and formations.

IMO in order for Wilson to become the superstar we all know he can be, and to be in the upper tier of elite NFL QB's with Brady, Brees and Rodgers, Pete is going to have to allow RW the ultimate freedom to run the offense how he sees fit. Will Pete do that?

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see how that dynamic grows..........or stagnates if Pete is unwilling to FULLY give Russell control over the offense.

Good news for your concern. Pete already said to Brock and Salk that there will be NO rescrictions on Russell next year and that he'll be better equiped. Whether that means preparations or that they'll provide more weapons throught he draft. Only time will tell.

IMO A successfull 2nd year will be 3,500 yards, 30 TD's and 10 INT, with another 500 yards rushing. If he puts up those kind of numbers we should win 10+ games easily.
    jlwaters1
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:04 am
  • volsunghawk wrote:
    FlyingGreg wrote:Lights out. No training wheels, full off-season in the program knowing he is the starter, more weapons around him (hopefully), cohesion, experience, preparation, study...

At the same time, defenses are going to have a year of film on him and there will be more prep to stop him. I think he'll pick up where he left off, which is already pretty damn good, and improve in small increments over the course of the season, with an off game or two here or there as some defense throws a new wrinkle at him.

Agreed, but I think Wilson will out prep defenses. They had plenty of film on him this year, and he never looked completely lost after the rough start. If they try to make him a pocket passer, I think he will be fine - he's more than capable and I'm sure that's on the top of his list to improve on.

The truly great players exceed schemes and tactics. There's a reason why Rodgers, Brady, Brees etc put up gawdy numbers every season - the talent eclipses all else. I'm not saying Wilson is in their class, but he does have the "it factor" and the composure to rise above.

And of course, a large part of any QB's success is the team he has around him.
    @SeahawkGreg

GIVE US YOUR PINK SLIP, SANTA CLARA WHINERS. WE OWN YOU
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:13 am

Yep, his expectations are for himself to endeavor to become the BEST (his words, not mine)
    With his preparation for each and every outing, and propensity to cover even the smallest of details, I have no doubt that he's going to establish himself as the steal of the Decade in last Years draft.
    There are a whole lot of people that says he will be facing a whole new set of really tough challenges next Season, because they (those opposing Defenses) now have a pattern of his style of play, and that they will be able to corral him into making mistakes.

That might be a logical expectation if he were the kind to just ride with his accomplishments, BUT, Wilson isn't just suspended in place, he's in a constant state of change, so if you were surprised with what he did this last Season, you will be astonished with what he's going to do with next Season.
    These are the reasons I went with Light Years ahead in the poll. :th2thumbs:
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:27 am
  • Will we even lose a game in 2013?

"We're picking up speed. The train is coming." - Earl Thomas 11/15/14
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:30 am
  • Aros wrote:Will we even lose a game in 2013?

Good question...did you get your Russell Wilson Jersey yet? :laugh:

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:42 am

It's funny how expectations have changed in just one season.

Before the season started most people would have been happy with 8-8, or 9-7 and hopefully being relevant in the playoff picture. It'll be interesting to see how this team handles the expectations next year, which IMO will be the highest of any Hawk team in history.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:58 am
  • Remain undefeated at home. Tanzania!
    Aristotle22
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:18 pm

well... We kinda did last weeked, and its the reason why we aren't playing this weekend...
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:30 pm
  • Throwdown wrote:well... We kinda did last weeked, and its the reason why we aren't playing this weekend...

"VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:32 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    Throwdown wrote:well... We kinda did last weeked, and its the reason why we aren't playing this weekend...

Learned from our savior Russell Wilson.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:38 pm
  • Option 1, and he is going to get better than that even.
    Hey Cardinals..........The FUN is OVER !!!
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:46 pm
  • I expect the same numbers wise regarding balance I see it 60-40 in favor of running.
    RW will cut picks and increase TD runs....5-7 maybe? . I suspect high 20s on TD passes. Around 3800-4200 passing yards.
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:52 pm

I think that it's incredibly likely that we lose a game in 2013. We may even lose several, but I don't think it will be more than 4.

Unfortunately, the Seahawks don't exist in a vacuum where they improve while the rest of the league stays exactly the same. Other teams will be working to improve, getting more from their young players, and bringing in new bodies in the hopes of exceeding expectations.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:01 pm
  • He'll be better. No way will he hit a sophomore slump. He works too hard and does not hang his head after making a mistake or being down by 20 in the 4th qtr.

Regarding defenses having a full year of film..child please. ATL had 17 games of film. Russell only threw for 385 yards/2 TDs and scrambled for 60 yards/1 TD. Teams might be able to shut the read option down, but he'll still beat them in the air.

I'm most concerned about the health of the line, WRs, and Lynch. As great as Wilson is his success is still tied to the talent around him. If one of those elements gets weakened he'll be fine but if all three were to crumble the offense would struggle.
    ceej22
    NET Rookie

Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:08 pm
  • I think that Wilson will lead the NFL in passer rating, probably significantly. I think he will lead an absolutely dominant Seattle team and will enter the national conversation as the best QB in the NFL. I think, unfortunately, Colin Kaepernick might be in the conversation, too, although I expect Wilson to both better and less system dependent. Wilson will always be a better passer and the gap will get wider over the next couple years.

To understand Wilson's progress over the season, note that over the last half of the season, he led the NFL in passer rating, by far, at around 120 to RG3's 110:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/p ... ass_rating

Not only that, his second half was the 6th best second half for a QB ever, not just rookies:

Passer rating, Games 9-16 of any season 1900-2012 (through Profootball reference)
    2010 Tom Brady - 128.2
    1994 Steve Young - 123.6
    2010 Aaron Rodgers - 122.0
    2011 Drew Brees - 121.6
    2004 Peyton Manning - 121.0
    2012 Russell Wilson - 120.3

Hat tip: http://www.reddit.com/r/Seahawks/commen ... he_second/

Last year Chip Kelly gave a Nike sponsored coaches clinic presentation called "Efficient Use of Practice Time." As Kelly is a brilliant and innovative coach it was a gold mine of information. One thing I noticed is that Kelly would not have been fooled by any of the deprecating analysis about Russell Wilson at draft time. According to Kelly's simple model of finding QB talent, Wilson is right in the sweet spot:

"lf the quarterback is not tall, look at his hands.
    That is the biggest coaching point to finding
    a quarterback. How big are his hands, and how
    well can he control the football? The height of
    the quarterback is not the important thing. No one
    playing quarterback throws over the line. They
    throw through lanes in the linemen. The important
    thing is the size of their hand"

Source: http://fishduck.com/wp-content/uploads/ ... mplete.pdf
    formido
    NET Starter

Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:25 pm
  • FlyingGreg wrote:There's a reason why Rodgers, Brady, Brees etc put up gawdy numbers every season - the talent eclipses all else. I'm not saying Wilson is in their class, ...

Well, if you won't, I will.

Russell Wilson is in the same class as Rodgers, Brady and Brees.
    your Superbowl XLVIII Champion Seattle Seahawks.. how sweet is that!!
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:13 pm
  • Great post formido.

My expectation is that Wilson will start where he left off. If we were an east coast team, I'd predict he'd win MVP, but being what we are, I'll settle for predicting that he'll be an MVP candidate.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:19 pm
  • Twitter:

Russell Wilson ‏@DangeRussWilson

I truly dislike not being able to prepare for a game this week. Miss my teammates and fans. #GoHawks

Heard him on the radio yesterday saying he had spent part of the day at the practice facility. He's going to New Orleans for SB weekend just to get a feel for what type of environment he needs to prepare for in the future.

This guy is unreal. It ALMOST makes me happy that we lost in 06 if it created the butterfly effect that allowed us to get this guy.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:21 pm
  • 14-2
    4000+passing yards
    650 rushing yards
    34 passing TD
    8 rushing TD
    MVP of the NFL
    SuperBowl win
    GO HAWKS & Rock ON
    Those are my expectations!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:0190l: :stirthepot: :snack: :thirishdrinkers: :les:

Almost forgot, those are regular season #'s
    lacenterhawk
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:11 pm
  • Where he left off, to be sure. Having said that, he'll improve, IMO, exponentially. And no more (or very little) of that Fran Tarkenton stuff. The team will improve with him and PC/JS, et al. will find a way to get him an O-line that gives him the chance to become the pocket passer so many here seem to want for him.

and a D-line improvement, too....
    NorCalHawk12
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:06 pm
  • He's going to win a Super Bowl on every single play.
    BirdsCommaAngry
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:32 pm
  • I expect us to win the same amont of games. Maybe 12. Wilsons stats could look like this.

Yards 3,850 PCT 62% 32 TD's 12 INT's 625 RUSH YARDS 6 TD's

Wilson will have a few sub 200 yard games but will have more 300 yard passing games. I think we draft a WR or get someone in FA. Wilson will throw more to Miller. Rice, Tate, Baldwin and and X wideout will step up. He'll continue to impress and will bring us a Super Bowl soon.
    ProckHawks
    NET Rookie

Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:16 pm
  • More TDs less ints. I don't see him picking up where he left off because I'm pretty sure he's going to try and improve some during the off season. I think he already started from what it sounds like. So I could see him getting more TDs and less ints all while performing light years ahead of 2012. Go Win Seahawks!!!!!!!!!!!!12 :icon_new:
    garydrake425
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:08 pm
  • He's a bust. Start Phlem!
    "I cannot believe this............ I am stunned right now. This is now a rebuilding year for us. Our offense is crap now"

Blitzer88 regarding trading Percy to the Jets
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:43 pm
  • Regular season #'s:
    12-14 wins
    3800-4000 yards passing
    65%
    32 TDs, 7 INTs
    500+ yards rushing
    5 TDs

Post season #'s:
    3 wins
    800-1000 yards passing
    67%
    8 TDs, 1 INT
    120+ yards rushing
    2 TDs
    Superbowl MVP
    "You can hurry up all you want. But if you can't get yards and can't complete passes, then it's just quick three-and-outs." -- Richard Sherman
    SE174
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:48 pm
  • Knowing what we know I am not worried about his growth. Someone said no or little of that Tarkenton stuff, those roll outs and sprints or avoiding sacks is what makes him dangerous and special, don't shy away from what makes him who he is.

I just want him to continue to be healthy, he plays smart and protects himself pretty well now, I would expect that to improve more as the game really begins to slow down for him even more.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:53 pm
  • At the very absolute worst, he'll continue where he left off. I Think we'll see a light improvement, and more consistency, and it will be yearlong without this seasons growing/learning pains throughout the first half of the Season.
    bellingerga
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:35 am
  • First years at NC State:
    Balancing school work, baseball, and football = exceptional player (tops in the conference)

Year at Wisconsin:
    Balancing school work and football = nationally recognized player (among top 3 QBs in country / best passer rating)

First year at Seattle:
    Rookie experience and shared early season practice time = nationally recognized player (among top 3 rookie QBs and top 10 QBs in NFL)

He now can devote a 100% of his work effort toward his craft. With the resources currently available through a professional team coupled with his effort and focus, it'll be interesting to see what kind of leap he makes next year. There has to be a ceiling for what kind of productivity he can have in his career, but I'm guessing we'll see him get pretty close to it next year.
    lobohawk
    NET Starter

Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:02 am
  • I was thinking about this last night, so I'm glad this topic exists.

I'm gonna go with:

13-3 or 14-2 as a starter, not sure yet, but for the sake of the thread I'll go with 14-2
    4240 Yards Passing (265 per game, not too crazy to imagine)
    40 Passing TD's (2.5 per game, again, nothing crazy)
    800 Rushing Yards (50 per game, realistic)
    8 Rushing TD's (.5 per game, might be a stretch but nothing would surprise me with him)
    4 INT (Not as many fluke dropped INT's, reverts to Wisconsin/NC State form)
    70% Completion
    Finishes as the runner up for MVP but his perceived "robbery" by the nation wins him even more fans and he becomes the nation's favorite QB and player in the NFL. A bigger name like Rodgers gets the award but many will want Russell to win it.

Hawks go to the postseason as the #1 seed and win it all, Wilson wins Super Bowl MVP. Thus, the dynasty starts.
    Talkin Seahawks All Day, All Night @ my blog Seafense! http://seafense.blogspot.com/
    NYCoug
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:45 am
  • formido wrote:I think that Wilson will lead the NFL in passer rating, probably significantly. I think he will lead an absolutely dominant Seattle team and will enter the national conversation as the best QB in the NFL. I think, unfortunately, Colin Kaepernick might be in the conversation, too, although I expect Wilson to both better and less system dependent. Wilson will always be a better passer and the gap will get wider over the next couple years.

To understand Wilson's progress over the season, note that over the last half of the season, he led the NFL in passer rating, by far, at around 120 to RG3's 110:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/p ... ass_rating

Not only that, his second half was the 6th best second half for a QB ever, not just rookies:

Passer rating, Games 9-16 of any season 1900-2012 (through Profootball reference)
    2010 Tom Brady - 128.2
    1994 Steve Young - 123.6
    2010 Aaron Rodgers - 122.0
    2011 Drew Brees - 121.6
    2004 Peyton Manning - 121.0
    2012 Russell Wilson - 120.3

Hat tip: http://www.reddit.com/r/Seahawks/commen ... he_second/

Last year Chip Kelly gave a Nike sponsored coaches clinic presentation called "Efficient Use of Practice Time." As Kelly is a brilliant and innovative coach it was a gold mine of information. One thing I noticed is that Kelly would not have been fooled by any of the deprecating analysis about Russell Wilson at draft time. According to Kelly's simple model of finding QB talent, Wilson is right in the sweet spot:

"lf the quarterback is not tall, look at his hands.
    That is the biggest coaching point to finding
    a quarterback. How big are his hands, and how
    well can he control the football? The height of
    the quarterback is not the important thing. No one
    playing quarterback throws over the line. They
    throw through lanes in the linemen. The important
    thing is the size of their hand"

Source: http://fishduck.com/wp-content/uploads/ ... mplete.pdf

Only 6th all time? SO!! He is not a "God" after all!. LOL

OR....Is he ?????
    HUGGY
    *NET Poop Holster*

Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:19 pm
  • Voted picks up where he left off.

I think no matter what his TD/int ratio will remain good, yardage-wise I expect better. How much better depends on this: there were games last year, especially the early games, where we'd stay run-first WAY too long. I hope they've learned their lesson, if the other team is stopping the run, let Russ throw on 1st down a lot more and let it be the RW show until we get a lead and then fine go back to grinding it out.

I also expect him, now that we've discovered Zach Miller, to continue to torture teams with that, so I think that's another boost to his yardage totals.
    hawk45
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:27 pm
  • I expect he ant little man Tate to really click after an off-season together watching film and dissecting defenses weak points and adjusting hot reads…. I also expect that be season’s end Russ will have viewed every existing NFL tape.
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:05 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:Knowing what we know I am not worried about his growth. Someone said no or little of that Tarkenton stuff, those roll outs and sprints or avoiding sacks is what makes him dangerous and special, don't shy away from what makes him who he is.

I just want him to continue to be healthy, he plays smart and protects himself pretty well now, I would expect that to improve more as the game really begins to slow down for him even more.

This. :th2thumbs: Wilson's elusive that's what makes him so dangerous for other teams to try and defend against. I don't want to see him become sack city. Hopefully the line will be better next year so he won't HAVE to run as much, but I don't ever want to see him give it up. It's part of what makes him so great.

“There’s no reason, with Mr. Allen and the fan base here and the stadium, that this can’t be a stable, long-term winning organization.” - John Schneider
    Bakergirl
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:40 am
  • NYCoug wrote:I was thinking about this last night, so I'm glad this topic exists.

I'm gonna go with:

13-3 or 14-2 as a starter, not sure yet, but for the sake of the thread I'll go with 14-2
    4240 Yards Passing (265 per game, not too crazy to imagine)
    40 Passing TD's (2.5 per game, again, nothing crazy)
    800 Rushing Yards (50 per game, realistic)
    8 Rushing TD's (.5 per game, might be a stretch but nothing would surprise me with him)
    4 INT (Not as many fluke dropped INT's, reverts to Wisconsin/NC State form)
    70% Completion
    Finishes as the runner up for MVP but his perceived "robbery" by the nation wins him even more fans and he becomes the nation's favorite QB and player in the NFL. A bigger name like Rodgers gets the award but many will want Russell to win it.

Hawks go to the postseason as the #1 seed and win it all, Wilson wins Super Bowl MVP. Thus, the dynasty starts.

Only 4 interceptions? I don't think any QB has started 16 games and thrown only 4 interceptions.

70% completion rate? You realize that's only happened once right?

I love Russell but pass the homer-ade.
    WestcoastSteve
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:25 am
  • WestcoastSteve wrote:Only 4 interceptions? I don't think any QB has started 16 games and thrown only 4 interceptions.

70% completion rate? You realize that's only happened once right?

I love Russell but pass the homer-ade.

Brady had just 4 interceptions in 2010.

I think Wilson will continue with the form shown in the final 8 games of the season, which is MVP-worthy. We also face 8 defenses which ranked in the bottom 12 in pass defense this season past - and in that 8 game spell to close out the season, Wilson faced FIVE top 10 pass defenses out of a possible 9 (obiously he can't face us).
    It's not out of reason to believe he could have a high TD low INT season - though I don't know if I agree with 4 INTs and 70% completion, I'm thinking more like a 35-6 season with between 5 and 10 rushing TDs and 67% completion
    themunn
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:50 am
  • Expectations will be high........higher than any QB or team in Hawk history. The good news is we have the talent to go all the way, as long as the team can stay healthy there's no reason not to expect it all.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:57 am
  • i picked light years which is a bit misleading... i think he'll pick up from where he left off, but he'll have a season far better than last season for obvious reasons... i think he still has some growth to make, a few key weapons on Offense, and the sky's the limit for next season..

if we can get the right key players on the defensive side of the ball, it's SB bound time.
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:00 am
  • lobohawk wrote:First years at NC State:
    Balancing school work, baseball, and football = exceptional player (tops in the conference)

Year at Wisconsin:
    Balancing school work and football = nationally recognized player (among top 3 QBs in country / best passer rating)

First year at Seattle:
    Rookie experience and shared early season practice time = nationally recognized player (among top 3 rookie QBs and top 10 QBs in NFL)

He now can devote a 100% of his work effort toward his craft. With the resources currently available through a professional team coupled with his effort and focus, it'll be interesting to see what kind of leap he makes next year. There has to be a ceiling for what kind of productivity he can have in his career, but I'm guessing we'll see him get pretty close to it next year.

Quality post here and I agree--thanks for contributing!

.....................................................................................-Webzone Niner fan GhostOfJimmyDean
    Trenchbroom
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:15 am
  • Thank you for the post, Formido. Very interesting stuff.

Unfortunately, I chose sophmore slump. I hope I'm wrong, but if teams stop Russell in the read option, that eliminates a large amount of the yardage our offense was gaining in the second half of the season.

But if anybody can prove me wrong, it's Russell Wilson!
    No autographs please
    Jerhawk
    NET Starter

Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:44 am
  • Jerhawk wrote:
    Unfortunately, I chose sophmore slump. I hope I'm wrong, but if teams stop Russell in the read option, that eliminates a large amount of the yardage our offense was gaining in the second half of the season

IMO the way we play offense is slump proof. If this was the Colts where we expect Russell to throw it 50-60 times a game like Luck, or the Skins where they expect RG3 to carry 80% of the offensive load and get hurt again, then I'd agree with you.

But the Hawks are predicated on 60% run, so all Wilson has to do is exactly what he's been doing............hand the ball off to BeastMode 25 times, manage the game, read defenses and make a few plays here and there.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:46 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Jerhawk wrote:
    Unfortunately, I chose sophmore slump. I hope I'm wrong, but if teams stop Russell in the read option, that eliminates a large amount of the yardage our offense was gaining in the second half of the season

IMO the way we play offense is slump proof. If this was the Colts where we expect Russell to throw it 50-60 times a game like Luck, or the Skins where they expect RG3 to carry 80% of the offensive load and get hurt again, then I'd agree with you.

But the Hawks are predicated on 60% run, so all Wilson has to do is exactly what he's been doing............hand the ball off to BeastMode 25 times, manage the game, read defenses and make a few plays here and there.

Dear god, I hope Bevell and Carroll aren't stupid enough to limit Wilson and treat him like a game manager next year.
    pocketprotector
    NET Starter

Next

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:18 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information