THE CELEBRITY OF RUSSELL WILSON

LawlessHawk

Reaction score
Is this truly becoming incredible? I'm trying to think of another player in Seahawks history (and I've been around since day one) that has hit a national celebrity status as quickly as Russell Wilson... Maybe the Boz? but that was different, way more of a side-show freak type of thing... RW is all over the National Media, he's a snow ball rolling down hill and it continues to build and pick up steam. And it's a respect, a reverence, a recognition of a special player in the making, a special person kind of thing. His agent's phone must be ringing off the hook this week.

The media liked Matt, and I think Matt will have a pretty good media career once he retires but it took Matt years and a Super Bowl run to get any media face time.

Where is Andrew Luck this week? Where's RG3? I know he's re-cooping from surgery but still if they wanted him they'd have a camera in his face... Kaepernick? If the 9ers had been knocked out in the first round I fully doubt he'd be getting any attention and barely a mention.

It really is incredible, a Seahawks phenomenon, and it's going to be interesting to see how it continues (to some extent) through this offseason. Hell, I'm sure they'll be all over him interviewing RW during the combine and draft weeks, analyzing his path last year and getting his thoughts on that experience...

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Isn't he shooting a SB spot too right now? I know he's in NO currently.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Yeah I said this when he went on NFL Network on Championship Weekend. Wilson has become one of the media "favorites". They guy that the public loves to hear more about. He's well-spoken, he's good, and he has the underdog factor. All of those things add up to a guy that the media is going to be all over. He's a superstar in the making.

And that just means more exposure for the Hawks too. NFL Network will want to show more Seahawk highlights because of Russell Wilson. They will get more Seahawk interviews because of Russell Wilson. We will get more primetime games because of Russell Wilson.

I love it.

drdiags

Reaction score
Definitely seems like the NFL hype machine has taken a hold of the Wilson story. You can see from their online Pro Bowl coverage they were starting up the hype machine. Now with him being in New Orleans, you are getting a lot of stories on him due to all the press on site for the Superbowl. They have to fill air time with something, why not the Wilson story?

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
I live in Omaha, Nebraska, and we have a sport store here called, "Scheel's Sporting Good". In the past their Seahawks gear has been scant at best. This year they beefed it up a little bit, and now the general Omaha public can buy Lynch, Flynn, and finally Wilson jerseys.

I was just there on Saturday. The NFL section was, for the most part, dead. There was only one team's gear gathering any attention. I showed up in my gear that I got at the pro shop this year and there were literally 7 people all asking the 'help' there to get down jerseys for them off the wall. Every one of them was leaving with Hawks gear. In OMAHA!!! At least 5 people walked out with #3 jerseys. Now I know of 18-20 Seahawks fans in Omaha because I have them all at my Hawk parties every Sunday--but this was unreal!!! Wilson is going to have us global in no time!

-The Glove-

Reaction score
KARAVARUS":34ok4es2 said:
I live in Omaha, Nebraska, and we have a sport store here called, "Scheel's Sporting Good". In the past their Seahawks gear has been scant at best. This year they beefed it up a little bit, and now the general Omaha public can buy Lynch, Flynn, and finally Wilson jerseys.

I was just there on Saturday. The NFL section was, for the most part, dead. There was only one team's gear gathering any attention. I showed up in my gear that I got at the pro shop this year and there were literally 7 people all asking the 'help' there to get down jerseys for them off the wall. Every one of them was leaving with Hawks gear. In OMAHA!!! At least 5 people walked out with #3 jerseys. Now I know of 18-20 Seahawks fans in Omaha because I have them all at my Hawk parties every Sunday--but this was unreal!!! Wilson is going to have us global in no time!
Cool story bro...for once, I can say that seriously. That is really awesome to hear he's well liked all the way out there.

hawker84

Reaction score
only player i can remember being in the national spotlight quite a bit was Alexander during the 05 season more so because of the TD record and MVP... but nothing like this... Would say i hope it doesn't go to his head, but LOL who am i kidding, it's RW.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
It's all tremendously deserved. I'm looking forward to letting the "Championship Offseason" begin!

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Only thing comparable in Seattle sports history is Griffey, Jr.

You can also probably make the case for Ichiro on a global scale, but in terms of just U.S. media coverage, I think Griffey, Jr., when he burst on the scene as "The Kid," is the closest parrallel.

RussWILSON3

Reaction score
There is something strange about Russell. It's like he's not even human. He absolutely amazes me, time and time, again. With his, skills on the football field, his absolute brilliance with the media, his work in the community. This guy is AMAZING. He's kind of one of those guys that you just figure is good at EVERYTHING. I'm so happy to see he is finally getting all of the respect and attention he deserves.. I can't wait for next season!!!! Championship Off season!!!

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
I loved seeing the man love between him and Brees. lol.

I have been convinced about Wilson for most of the season. I knew he was IT!!!

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Russell getting some Pepsi love!

"@Gatorade: .@DangeRussWilson will be with us tomorrow at the Gatorade #FuelBar! Send us your questions using #AskRussell! #SB47"

OP
OP
LawlessHawk

LawlessHawk

Reaction score
KARAVARUS":sagxvilm said:

Yeah, I live in SoCal about an hour north of San Diego and my son is a freshman in HS. For the last month or so he's telling me, all his buddy's talk about when it comes to football is the Seahawks and Russell Wilson. He said there were quite a few that decided they were going to be Seahawks fans now because of Russell... they were even accusing him of being a bandwagoner and a couple of his buds that have known him since pre-school came to his rescue and verify his lifelong Seahawks allegience.... funny stuff.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Elusive
Fast
Accurate
Big Arm
Nice Touch
Super High football IQ
Avoids the big hit
Pocket passer
Can pass on the run
Can pass in the air
Can pass off back foot
Can pass across body
Incredible work ethic
Humble
Professional
Honest
Proud to be a Seahawk
Amazing person
Coolest customer ever

The media can't help but love the guy, he is their dream come true in that they can write crazy good stories about him and don't have to worry about him making them look bad with off field problems. His celebrity status is just beginning.

Is this even real?? THIS guy is a Seahawks QB? We have never had a "star" QB here, the closest was Hass.. Russell Wilson is off the charts. When the dust settles, Wilson will be the elite of the elite. People said he would have to be perfect, like Drew Brees, then he went out and did better than perfect.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He carries himself with class, is obviously very focused, and being tight with a guy like Brees can only help. If he becomes near the QB that Brees is, we're in very good hands for years to come.

OP
OP
LawlessHawk

LawlessHawk

Reaction score
hawker84":23t3kzbz said:
only player i can remember being in the national spotlight quite a bit was Alexander during the 05 season more so because of the TD record and MVP... but nothing like this... Would say i hope it doesn't go to his head, but LOL who am i kidding, it's RW.

Yeah, Shaun got quite a bit of press that year, but he was also somewhat of a devisive figure in the press, maybe not quite as much as on this board, but there were quite a number of the talking heads that didn't like Shaun or at least didn't like Shaun's game.

I don't think I've heard a negative comment about RW yet...

SSEHAWK

Reaction score
Russell seems humble and genuine, you don't see him talking about himself. He quickly turns the conversation to his team or team mates. People are tired of the, look how awesome I am , athletes. They want somebody they can relate to. Russell doesn't act like he is better than every one and fans can appreciate that.
He is a breath of fresh air and we are only at the beginning, the future is very bright.

Riley12

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":5kap3rog said:
Elusive
Fast
Accurate
Big Arm
Nice Touch
Super High football IQ
Avoids the big hit
Pocket passer
Can pass on the run
Can pass in the air
Can pass off back foot
Can pass across body
Incredible work ethic
Humble
Professional
Honest
Proud to be a Seahawk
Amazing person
Coolest customer ever

My apologies. I've been in schools so long that I thought you were trying to put together some kind of acrostic poem
about Wilson and I was thinking, "What a complete dipshit!"