Is WR really an issue? A statistical comparison of UFA WRs.

lukerguy

Reaction score
-Sidney Rice and Golden Tate had 148 combined targets
-They also had a combined total of 1436 yrds and 14 TDs
- Both averaged over 15.0 yards per reception
-Both have very few dropped passes (I can't find the exact statistic anywhere online but couldn't count more than 5 total combined all season.)

-Mike Wallace and Dwayne Bowe had 233 combined targets
-Mike Wallace and Dwayne Bowe had 1637 yards and 11 TDs combined
-Neither averaged 15.0 yards per reception
- Wallace was 2nd in the AFC North in Drops (7)
- Between 2009-2011 Dwayne Bowe had the 4th most dropped passes in the league at 26 (in that 3 year span).

So, in essence Tate and Rice had a combined 85 less targets than the two star UFAs and managed 3 more TDs and 200 less yards...Sidney Rice was open on many balls this year that RW missed him on (especially early), and made a pretty spectacular catch in nearly every game. I think people come down to hard on "not having play-makers at WR".

Hawken-Dazs

Reaction score
Pete was very clear about bringing in help on the defensive line, but never mentioned once about bringing in more receiver help. Just something to think about.

chris98251

Reaction score
We as a fan base always want the headline guys and never appreciate who we have till the replacement stinks it up and they then blame the F.O. for getting rid of the player they were trashing to begin with.

sutz

Reaction score
Nice stats comparison. Thanks.

Drops is not an official stat, so it's hard to track. It's kind of subjective, too, and open to the observer's opinion on how "catchable" the ball was. Having said that, the only game where drops really affected the outcome, IIRC, was at San Fran, and that was the Thurs night game where fatigue played a major factor. That was their 3rd game in like 11/12 days, I believe.

I was saying before the season that our WR corps would probably be OK and I think my opinion was vindicated.

I'm not against bringing in another WR or two, but I wouldn't break the bank for a FA "star" or anything. I also wouldn't spend Day 1/2 draft capital on one unless he was damn good. We have more pressing needs IMHO.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Hawken-Dazs":s7yy926i said:
Pete was very clear about bringing in help on the defensive line, but never mentioned once about bringing in more receiver help. Just something to think about.

Actually, he said he wants to surround Wilson with more talent on offense. If you read between the lines, that means WR/TE.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I hope we keep Rice with a slightly detuned contract of course, and without a doubt, Tate is a keeper, and is probabaly spending more time with Russell Wilson at bettering their game time performances.
I'm not sure about how Baldwin fits into the future, but, I think he showed that he could play the role of a Bobby Engram style receiver.
I hope we seriously go after a reciever early on in this years draft.

Axx

Reaction score
Hawken-Dazs":su6s70um said:

He said something about giving Wilson some weapons this off season.
But im sure defensive line is still #1 priority by far

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
I can agree that Rice/Tate are pretty darn good. Kearse, Martin and Obo however could all be replaced if we could find a better player or fit. Assuming rounds 1 and 2 are used in the draft for DT, DE or OLB, round 3 could be a time to start considering WR. What you are NOT going to find much of in round 3-5 is WR's that are 6-2 to 6-5. Just for kicks I put together the following stats on mid-round WR's.

Some mid-round draft picks at WR's that may be available on or after round-3, (pick-#89). (xxx) = cbssports.com overall rankings as of 2/03/2013. Stat. Reference: http://espn.go.com/college-football/sta ... 2/group/80

(1) WR-Steadman Bailey(#96), 5-10, 195, W. Virginia
114/1622, 14.2-ypc, **25**-td's
(2) WR-Kenny Stills(#98), 6-0, 190, Oklahoma
82/959, 11.7-ypc, 11-td's
(3) WR-Tavarres King(#116), 6-0, 192, Georgia
42/950, 22.6-ypc, 9-td's
(4) WR-Ryan Swope(#123), 6-0, 204, Texas A&M
72/913, 12.7-ypc, 8-td's
(5) WR-Chris Harper(#144), 6-1, 228, Kansas St.
58/857, 14.8-ypc, 3-td's
(6) WR-Conner Vernon(#160), 6-0, 193, Duke
85/1074, 12.6-ypc, 8-td's

From this list, my favorite by far is Steadman Bailey as a 3-rd round pick, his 114/1622 & especially his 25 TD's (most in NCAA by a mile) is insane (watch his you-tube films). I also kinda like Chris Harper as a late 5-th round pick, he's a pretty decent physical possession receiver as far as I can tell. Of course there are some tall WR's available in the later rounds like Brandon Kaufman that would certainly be a viable round 6-7 pick. I also think Marcus Davis is under valued as a 6-th to 7th round flyer for some team.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
After watching Wilson transform from Dangeruss to downright lethal with that Pro Bowl cast, I'm all for adding more threats. He scrambles way too long while waiting for our guys to get open.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":2mhar2bu said:
Hawken-Dazs":2mhar2bu said:

Actually, he said he wants to surround Wilson with more talent on offense. If you read between the lines, that means WR/TE.
Funny, I don't read that between the lines at all. What I see between the lines are pretty craptacular linemen at pass pro. I think that's the talent Carroll wants to surround Wilson with on offense.

We have the 5th best WR tandem in the NFL with Rice/Tate. You add a healthy Baldwin next season and this WR corps only needs a backup should Rice get hurt.

We need a DT a DE a pass blocking lineman and a nickel slot CB. WR will come after the 3rd round because that's when they draft for depth and that's what we need at WR, depth. We've already got a great starting WR corps.

But I'd take Welker if we could get him.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
It's not a case of increasing targets IMO - more a case of improving the quality and making sure there's sufficient depth. Rice, Tate and Baldwin have all been injured. What if Rice goes down early next season? Do you want to rely on what you've got?

They looked at T.O., Winslow and Edwards for a reason. I think they clearly feel there's room for another big target.

hawk45

Reaction score
Between WR and pass pro, pass pro would be the more dire need on offense by a long shot. Although...can we count on Rice being healthy 2 seasons in a row?

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":cucpptfi said:
Hawken-Dazs":cucpptfi said:

Smoke and mirrors. All of it. Can't wait to see what these geniuses do this championship off-season.

Hawken-Dazs

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":2zkxqtg5 said:
Hawken-Dazs":2zkxqtg5 said:

Oh. My bad.

OP
OP
lukerguy

lukerguy

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2f4cisa6 said:
It's not a case of increasing targets IMO - more a case of improving the quality and making sure there's sufficient depth. Rice, Tate and Baldwin have all been injured. What if Rice goes down early next season? Do you want to rely on what you've got?

They looked at T.O., Winslow and Edwards for a reason. I think they clearly feel there's room for another big target.

This thread wasn't about increasing targets... if you thought that, then you failed to see my point. My point is, paying at guy 6-8MM a year in UFA will not help this team as our WRs were just as productive with less targets.

sutz

Reaction score
lukerguy":13a62umt said:
theENGLISHseahawk":13a62umt said:

This thread wasn't about increasing targets... if you thought that, then you failed to see my point. My point is, paying at guy 6-8MM a year in UFA will not help this team as our WRs were just as productive with less targets.
Kind of what I said. If someone hits the top of our board, sure draft him, but don't waste big bucks on some FA that isn't any better than what we currently have. I think that fits the philosophy that P&J have been working towards anyway. I actually kind of like our backups, too, but that doesn't mean they are irreplaceable. Drafting a WR that may take a couple of years to develop is fine by me.

seahawks-in-qc

Reaction score
Hey,

I dont know all the situation about Greg Jennings, but if he is an UFA I believe we should go for him. I believe that a premier WR is the only thing we are missing on offense.
We can add some depth on the O-Line or maybe a better 2nd TE (even tough I really like McCoy) but I think that a WR like Jennings would benefit us.

zayden185

Reaction score
Bowe had word qb in league and off injury....Wallace had dink an dunk offense to protect Ben

I think the deficiency of SF is their backand and that was shown last night...

Prognosis?

Bigger faster stronger

HUGGY

Reaction score
CamanoIslandJQ":88xng5tx said:
I can agree that Rice/Tate are pretty darn good. Kearse, Martin and Obo however could all be replaced if we could find a better player or fit. Assuming rounds 1 and 2 are used in the draft for DT, DE or OLB, round 3 could be a time to start considering WR. What you are NOT going to find much of in round 3-5 is WR's that are 6-2 to 6-5. Just for kicks I put together the following stats on mid-round WR's.

Some mid-round draft picks at WR's that may be available on or after round-3, (pick-#89). (xxx) = cbssports.com overall rankings as of 2/03/2013. Stat. Reference: http://espn.go.com/college-football/sta ... 2/group/80

(1) WR-Steadman Bailey(#96), 5-10, 195, W. Virginia
114/1622, 14.2-ypc, **25**-td's
(2) WR-Kenny Stills(#98), 6-0, 190, Oklahoma
82/959, 11.7-ypc, 11-td's
(3) WR-Tavarres King(#116), 6-0, 192, Georgia
42/950, 22.6-ypc, 9-td's
(4) WR-Ryan Swope(#123), 6-0, 204, Texas A&M
72/913, 12.7-ypc, 8-td's
(5) WR-Chris Harper(#144), 6-1, 228, Kansas St.
58/857, 14.8-ypc, 3-td's
(6) WR-Conner Vernon(#160), 6-0, 193, Duke
85/1074, 12.6-ypc, 8-td's

From this list, my favorite by far is Steadman Bailey as a 3-rd round pick, his 114/1622 & especially his 25 TD's (most in NCAA by a mile) is insane (watch his you-tube films). I also kinda like Chris Harper as a late 5-th round pick, he's a pretty decent physical possession receiver as far as I can tell. Of course there are some tall WR's available in the later rounds like Brandon Kaufman that would certainly be a viable round 6-7 pick. I also think Marcus Davis is under valued as a 6-th to 7th round flyer for some team.

I hate to bring up height on a Seahawks forum...but WR is not QB.
Many of the clutch pass receptions in the NFL are with 6' 2" guys just as fast or faster draped all over you.

Separation is easier in college..rare in the pros. Bailey's numbers look intoxicating but unless the guy can muster up a 4.2 40 he will never get the space in the NFL to match his college numbers.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
lukerguy":66v7pfi5 said:

I think Pete and John think the same, which is why I'd be surprised if they went after a big name WR in free agency.

But don't gloss over the fact that we do need WR depth. Yes our WR corp was productive this year, but that was because they remained healthy (for the most part), especially Tate and Rice.

I guarantee you we'll be adding WR depth in the draft, as well as bringing in free agents for tryouts during camp.