Issues for Wilson to fix with his game?

Hawknballs

Reaction score
were there any recurring issues you saw in wilson's game that you believe he'll be working on fixing in the offseason?

One of the things I love most about Wilson is that when he makes a mistake, rarely does he ever make it again. He seems to be the epitome of someone who 'learns from his mistakes', which is fitting for the master of the cliche, but it's true.

Case in point I remember in the Green Bay game, I think it was Raji that ran him down for a sack. You could tell Wilson wasn't running full-speed, assuming the big guy would be too slow. When that play happened I said to my friend "Well. At least that's out of the way, Wilson will never make the mistake assuming these big guys in the NFL aren't fast if he half-asses it". And I don't think I ever saw him make that mistake again.

The main thing I would say he needs to fix is that his last few games it seemed like early on he was firing the ball over guy's heads. Eventually he settled down and was right on target but for whatever reason to start games he was a bit off.

I'm not sure why since he's shown he can be consistently accurate. My theory is that he's making the throws a little too safe until he gets to see the defense in action and how they react. He needs to make catchable throws that are still safe if that is the case. He'll have to work with Bevel to design plays to start the game that can be safe outside throws if he wants that time to observe the defense's reaction.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
He has said his footwork is the biggest thing. I think that's the biggest reason for the high throws.

Other than that, I think the improvements in his game will come from improvements from other positions - the WRs need to get much better at separating and coming back to help him out, and the O line needs to seriously improve pass pro.

seahawks-in-qc

Reaction score
I would love him to throw the ball away quicker. I don't like when he starts to run around in the pocket and starts to loss some yards. I rather him just throw the ball away and don't take a hit then have a slight chance of gaining some yards (referring to the scramble he make against the Pats where he got the first down by breaking a tackle).

Other than that, I would say his footwork when he released the ball. Some throws are really high, we were lucky that our WR's were able to make some spectacular catch.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
My only thing was something that he improved throughout the season, which was he got too jittery in the pocket sometimes.

There would be plays where there was a nice pocket around him, he has time to look downfield, and he would start dancing around trying to get out of it.

Playing out of the pocket is a strength for him, but sometimes he rushed it. Later in the season he got much better at being patient looking for a good opportunity to tuck and run or find the passing lanes.

pehawk

Reaction score
OVerthrowing comes with the territory when adjusting to a level-up in football. HS to NCAA and NCAA to Pros, dudes overthrow.

What he needs to pick up, and will by studying Brees, is throwing the ball to spots more. Brees gets a pass from his staff and WR's for missing open WR's...it's the cost of doing business. Brees throws to spots and relies upon percision not his eyes. Wilson's scrambling superiority there means he can use his eyes more, unless the defense forces him to stay within the pocket.

The bigger adjustment needs to come from Pete. Its fairly obvious Pete is so turnover shy, he's telling Wilson to only throw it if you can see it. Very few tight windows or spot throws from the offense. I know there's a bazaar notion that Pete wont pass more, or use the pass to set up the run, but it WILL happen. Hell, 2 years ago alot of our smarter posters and bloggers ripped Pete for NOT understanding QB's or the passing game. When, in acutality, the regime just stuck to its mantra of NOT panicing at the QB position and patiently waited for their type of QB.

Axx

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":2wsunrwu said:
He has said his footwork is the biggest thing. I think that's the biggest reason for the high throws.

Other than that, I think the improvements in his game will come from improvements from other positions - the WRs need to get much better at separating and coming back to help him out, and the O line needs to seriously improve pass pro.

Not the entire O-line. Just J.R. Sweezy. Even moffit does a pretty good job of giving Wilson time in the pocket

pehawk

Reaction score
This board is VERY unfair on the offensive line.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
pehawk":2admjjun said:
To be fair, Breno graded out as one of the worst RT in the league. most of that was early season stuff, but he got schooled by Chris Long both games. And our RG has been replacement level all year.

As far as Wilson, another year in the system will help. He still loses receivers, and always will, in the under linebacker zone area. We don't run that many crossing routes through there, I suspect that is why.

I expect another offseason will make a big difference for Pete and his conservative nature. Pete never changes his approach until he is forced to. The Falcons game forced him to put the game on his QB like never before, and Wilson responded to the tune of 385 yards passing. I think that lesson will resonate.

pehawk

Reaction score
Holmgren kicked and screamed like one of Scotte's dates, while feeding Alexander in 2005. I see the same transformation.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
pehawk":1ql23rdb said:

It's not unfair - it's true. They are good, but there is room for a lot of improvement - especially in pass pro. We were lucky to have a quick/agile QB that can escape this season - Flynn would have been killed.

OP
OP
Hawknballs

Hawknballs

Reaction score
pehawk":3sx01cad said:

I don't think our O-line is bad but it is inconsistent enough to raise concerns. On one play it can be amazing and then follow it up with a very poor effort.

Consistency to me is more important than anything when it comes to being a good O-line.

Would you rather have an O-line that ALWAYS gives you 3-4 seconds, or an O-line that somtimes gives you 5-6 seconds, and other times gives you 0-2 seconds?

We have the later in most cases.

It makes it much easier to call and execute plays with the former.

The fact that we seem to have a rotating mess of guards is not the sign of a great O-line.

That being said Unger and Okung are awesome.

If you watched the superbowl yesterday Joe Flacco almost always had 3-4 secons, only very rarely with all-out blitzes did the pocket instantly fall apart.

The seahawks o-line has fallen appart even with just 1 extra blitzer; it has crumbled with no blitzers at all. Then there are times when they do a great job. Inconsistent.

pehawk

Reaction score
That's was a little of the staffs fault too. Pete and Cable wanted to get cute like Bill, and show they too can play any dude, any where.

Carp's going to be a killer next year. I know the masses like to rip on him, because its easy, but he wasn't drafted to ever be a Tackle. His ceiling's high at guard, and dude busted his ass to get on the field even. Full offseason? Look out.

pehawk

Reaction score
And look at next year; a healthy Moffit and Carp with a learn'ed Sweezy. That's some FIERCE competition, which will solidify the unit.

I'll never agree on the offensive being weak. The whole unit had to adjust from; maulers to protecting the most unique QB in the NFL. Not an easy task.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Luckily, Wilson is generally fundamentally sound and very accurate. Most his misses are normal incompletions, not tied to any one, reoccuring reason.

He does have the occasional bad miss, though, which is the tendency for his throws to sail on him. That's mechanical. Now, having a ball sail on someone is different than over-throwing their receiver. Over-throwing someone seems to imply that he is lacking touch or his aiming point is off. I don't believe thats the issue with him, at least not with his bad misses. (He does occasionally over-throw receivers, but I wouldn't call that a bad miss, just normal incompletions.)

As to the ball sailing on him, the ultimate reason for that, in my experience, is the person is usually releasing the ball a split-second to early at the top of their throwing motion. I fought with this same problem in pitching and it usually came down to a couple reasons, but with Wilson, I suspect (without going back and watching each bad miss) that the one reason it is happening to him is, like many already said, because of his feet work. More specially, him landing his plant leg to far out in his stride. When your base is to far spread out, you dont get the right follow-through bend at the waist, and your arm cannot reach out towards your target like its suppose too. Your body is also shorter with a wide base, and with Wilson's height concerns already, he may even feel the need to release the ball right at its highest point so mich, that instead he throws it a tad too early.

It really is a matter of a few inches in where he releases the ball. I think he continue to work on it and improve, but I think it'll be one those reoccurring issues throughout his career, mostly because of his over-the-top high release point.

cubbyhawkfan

Reaction score
Im no expert on qb technique but something i've heard others say was he needs to work on his footwork inside the pocket,and also take less sacks which can be either throwing the ball away or throwing to a checkdown which he didn't utilize as much

Jville

Reaction score
pehawk":1uw9a5ee said:

Football Outsiders would statistically tend to agree with you. They improved their pass block ranking from 24th in 2011 to 20th in 2012. Considering all the personel movement at the guard positions as well as the inclusion of a part time rookie who had never before seen the game from the offense' side of the line (and exotic blitzes), that was IMO an exceptable improvement.

The improvement in run blocking was huge. Tom Cable saw his unit improve from 19th best in 2011 to 3rd best in 2012. :th2thumbs: Outstanding.

So ..... those ranking reflect a run first play action philosophy. But, with everyone returning for 2013 and becoming more familiar with each other, I think it reasonable to look forward to much improved pass blocking as well.

Source credit >>> http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

Latest posts