How do the Seahawks handle potential Lynch DUI penalty?

drdiags

Reaction score
I am sure once the season gets closer and Lynch's DUI is finalized in court the team will know if they need to do anything, but assuming he pleads guilty or is convicted, does the team carry a mid-level or draft pick RB and start Turbin?

I usually don't do the let's sign player x from y team but I wonder if a play for Bradshaw makes any sense? I would think that he wants to be a starter so coming here wouldn't work. Turbin showed he was capable but does the team draft a 4th round RB who matches what Turbin gave last year or do they try picking up some journeyman RB for the 4 games Lynch should get for his DUI conviction?

I don't think Lynch is going out for the year, since the other suspension was for conduct and not drugs/alcohol but you never know until Goodell reveals the penalty. I believe Lynch's penalty would be for 1st time offender of the drug/alcohol policy and warrant only the 4 game penalty. Goodell could tack on but I am not clear what the CBA says in this area.

What would you do to cover the RB position starting off next season?

mech.romance

Reaction score
Let Turbin start. Who knows how far he'll carry that opportunity. I could easily see Pete putting the ball in his hands, giving him a few brief words of encourage, and sitting back while Turbin makes the most of his chance.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
I wouldn't want to use a draft pick on a RB... I'd hope we could garb an FA to split carries with Turbin and Washington/FA.

And, frankly, as much as I would miss watching Lynch, I wouldn't mind easing his workload by four games, if it came to that. Turbin could use the carries and Lynch could use the health come playoffs.

NYCoug

Reaction score
I think Marshawn will get what Cedric Benson got for his misdemeanor assault charge a few years ago. He got a 3 game suspension but ultimately had it reduced to 1 game.

With that being said, I think it's great that a suspension would have to be carried out this season and not this past one. Turbin's got another year under his belt and I think he'd do a fine job of filling in for 'Shawn for a game or a longer period of time. I'd give Leon some more touches and then sign Vai Taua to be the #3 back and to give Turbin a breather every once in a while. I liked what he brought to the table.

Bradshaw would be interesting but like you said, I don't think he'd want to come here to be Marshawn's backup and possibly Turbin's backup as well depending on how he develops this offseason.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Where is this 4-game assumption coming from?

Four-game suspensions are associated with PED violations.

If convicted, Lynch is likely facing a one-game suspension... or maybe two games... but certainly not four games.

OP
OP
drdiags

drdiags

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":2fa9djo0 said:
Where is this 4-game assumption coming from?

Four-game suspensions are associated with PED violations.

If convicted, Lynch is likely facing a one-game suspension... or maybe two games... but certainly not four games.

Hmmm, it was the number kicked around last year when he got the DUI. If it is only a max 2 games I would guess the team would deal with it similar to how the Bengals dealt with the Benson suspension. Consider this a rough draft, I am sure this topic will come into focus after the case is handled.

Let me go do a little more homework and less dependency on my recollection of things.

Subzero717

Reaction score
I was sure that the commissioners office had already stated that he will not be suspended. I will look for it but IIRC he went and met with Goodell and there was not going to be any suspension based on that conversation.

OP
OP
drdiags

drdiags

Reaction score
So this early piece has Lynch missing a potential 6 games, so most likely the number will be in flux until the actual penalty is announced and any appeal is heard

Lynch’s DUI incident could result in another suspension by the NFL and force him to potentially miss six games in the upcoming season. His charge on Wednesday increases the likelihood of an NFL suspension, particularly with his criminal history, though until now he had stayed out of trouble during his two years with the Seahawks.

Here is the link to this particular version of what is expected. Again, early WAG at what the author thought the potential suspension would be.

Here is an article from Lynch's meeting with Goodell where no suspension is being considered at this time but could be once the trial ends

Lynch already had his meeting with Commissioner Roger Goodell in response to the latest incident, sources said, and the league is not suspending him. The NFL will wait for the legal case to be resolved -- which is likely going to occur some time in 2013 -- so Lynch is in the clear this season. Should he get arrested again, or run afoul of the law, things could change, and the league reserves the right to reconsider matters

hawkstalker

Reaction score
Lets see. For free agents this year we have Steven Jackson (too expensive), Reggie Bush (good citizen?) Shonn Green or Mike Goodson? The last two might fit. Felix Jones is also available, but don't think he has gas left.

OP
OP
drdiags

drdiags

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":28ro1r1h said:
I was sure that the commissioners office had already stated that he will not be suspended. I will look for it but IIRC he went and met with Goodell and there was not going to be any suspension based on that conversation.

I read the "no suspension" as "at this time". Just poised the question early but it doesn't seem to have much juice at this time. I am sure it will pick up later this summer. I don't think Lynch is Scott free but exactly what is TBD.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
drdiags":1zfi8op0 said:
CALIHAWK1":1zfi8op0 said:

I read the "no suspension" as "at this time". Just poised the question early but it doesn't seem to have much juice at this time. I am sure it will pick up later this summer. I don't think Lynch is Scott free but exactly what is TBD.

Such tiresome surname bigotry, I got your Scott free.

It kind of sounded like the case was shaky anyway, but the early 6 game guesses were way offbase. I would expect one or two if there is a conviction. I am with others, and would like to see Lynch carry less of the load so he is fresh for playoffs. I would love to see Turbin get a bigger opportunity.

Beer Hawk

Reaction score
Marshawn has probably the best DUI lawyer in the state and won't be charged with anything. A friend of mine hired him for a DUI he received this year. The guy blew a .2, was videotaped by the cop falling over during the sobriety test and the case was thrown out (didn't even get his license suspended). This is also the same guy that's kept Freddy Montero out of jail.

That being said.. if he isn't charged by the state, could he still get suspended?

SirTed

Reaction score
mech.romance":1lo2lnq4 said:
Let Turbin start. Who knows how far he'll carry that opportunity. I could easily see Pete putting the ball in his hands, giving him a few brief words of encourage, and sitting back while Turbin makes the most of his chance.

Just wanted to quote this because I think that if he gets suspended that this would be the outcome, and perhaps it wouldn't be a terrible thing. Marshawn could use the rest.

That said, I don't think he's getting suspended. He's stayed out of legal trouble, and "social" trouble since coming to Seattle - and the dude blew a .08, right? And I heard somewhere else this was after coming back from a charity event as well? And finally, the stuff he got in trouble with before (in Buffalo) was all conduct related, and this falls under the alcohol and drug portion of the CBA, right?

He'll be good to go.

OP
OP
drdiags

drdiags

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2ciz2dj0 said:

My bad. Next time I will use James free. That way ... oh wait, then I would have Roland giving me lip. Note to self, step up your game and drop the old school phrasing.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
drdiags":129rvu5n said:
Scottemojo":129rvu5n said:

My bad. Next time I will use James free. That way ... oh wait, then I would have Roland giving me lip. Note to self, step up your game and drop the old school phrasing.
FYI, it is supposed to be a racial insult, Scot free. Evidently the Scots are (undeservedly I am sure) known for pinching a pence or two.

Edit: I lied. It is a racial insult based on the Dred Scot decision.
I think that might be worse, actually.
2nd edit, I see Diags has it correct. a tax thing.

OP
OP
drdiags

drdiags

Reaction score
Scottemojo":134yqhfp said:
drdiags":134yqhfp said:
Scottemojo":134yqhfp said:

FYI, it is supposed to be a racial insult, Scot free. Evidently the Scots are (undeservedly I am sure) known for pinching a pence or two.

Plus I spelled it wrong

First off, let's set the record straight on the expression itself -- it's actually "scot-free." And contrary to popular belief, it has nothing to do with Dred Scott or the Scottish.

Sceot is the Old English for "a tax." Scot and lot was a medieval muncipal tax levied on residents. Someone who managed to avoid paying this medieval tax got off "scot free."

OP
OP
drdiags

drdiags

Reaction score
Scottemojo":4bqp03ug said:
This has been an oddly educational thread

The Doctor is all over the map, making dead end threads and other time wasting activities. :th2thumbs: