DB/KR Will Blackmon signed with Seahawks today

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
Not saying that this Blackmon guy is the next Brandon Browner but this thread reminds me off the thread when we first signed Browner and no one cared. Good luck to Blackmon and hopefully he makes the most out of this opportunity.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
SeahawksFanForever":82d657ru said:
Not saying that this Blackmon guy is the next Brandon Browner but this thread reminds me off the thread when we first signed Browner and no one cared. Good luck to Blackmon and hopefully he makes the most out of this opportunity.
Except that Browner never blew out his knee and hadn't ostensibly been out of football for the previous three years when he was inked by the Seahawks. I'll be stunned if Blackmon lasts beyond OTA's.

lukerguy

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":4geafvfc said:
SeahawksFanForever":4geafvfc said:
Except that Browner never blew out his knee and hadn't ostensibly been out of football for the previous three years when he was inked by the Seahawks. I'll be stunned if Blackmon lasts beyond OTA's.

Exactly, and had just completed the most impressive season by a CB in CFL history...had never played in the NFL due to injury.

drrew

Reaction score
Loved Will Blackmon in college at BC. I think he played both ways and returned kicks and punts. He was Mr Boston College.

I know he had some success in GB as a punt returner before the knee went. He's now 3.5 years removed from that ACL tear, so it seems unlikely it's all of the sudden gotten better, but he was electric with the ball in his hands, so it's worth a no cost look.

Veilside

Reaction score
SeahawksFanForever":3c6otada said:

I can honestly say I had high hopes for Browner right when we signed him due to his size and elite play in the CFL. This Blackmon guy I don't have a clue. Guess I'd have to read up on him but doesn't sound that promising.

I kind of have "Browner" hopes for Stephen Williams at this point so far. Hoping to see good things from him in TC.

pehawk

Reaction score
drrew":2noz5k2y said:
Loved Will Blackmon in college at BC. I think he played both ways and returned kicks and punts. He was Mr Boston College.

Going both ways aint that big of a deal. Really, its not.

chihawk

Reaction score
Was he the guy that a lot of people on the board wanted the Seahawks to draft back in the day? I thought I remember his name being brought up and a lot of people being angry that they skipped on him during the draft I thought he was from NC State or something like that so I may have confused him with someone else.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
drrew":o5inj1ui said:

I know he had some success in GB as a punt returner before the knee went. He's now 3.5 years removed from that ACL tear, so it seems unlikely it's all of the sudden gotten better, but he was electric with the ball in his hands, so it's worth a no cost look.

Good call. I was just going to post this. I can remember watching him a few times in his last year. I believe BYU went to BC for their road opener and Blackmon played very well and there were rumors swirling all week that he was going to play both directions. I was very VERY impressed with his strength, speed, and his leadership. It seemed every guy was going to him as often as the coach for info.

I thought he was going to be a special player in the NFL. I know he's had injuries... but I thought he'd get a few snaps a game as a flanker type, HB, or running a wildcat type of package, and then be an extra DB, and really make his mark as a Cribbs/Hester type as a special teams demon.

Mainly I'm just super interested to see what the team is looking at him for. He is certainly capable and experienced at about 6 different positions.

I think OTA's and camps are going to be a blast this year. Hopefully you guys get out there and take notes. Hopefully I'll get a chance to drive up for a day or two of camp since my schedule is 100% clear now.

NYCoug

Reaction score
Let me add my name to the list of people that loved Will Blackmon at Boston College. I used to play the shiz out of NCAA Football and I remember that he played both ways and had 99 speed. So then I started to follow him in real life and he was a pretty outstanding corner and return man. Was always disappointed that he never made it in the NFL, more so than most other players I like in college that don't end up making it.

With that said, I'm extremely excited that he's a Seahawk. If he could somehow lock down that nickel spot, oh man, that'd be amazing! I'd love for him to win a ring with this team.

That being said, he's facing an uphill battle for sure. Here's hoping he's ready to compete and earn everything.

Greenhell

Reaction score
pehawk":pr46gaqd said:
drrew":pr46gaqd said:

Going both ways aint that big of a deal. Really, its not.

ACK!

canucklhead

Reaction score
Giants season ticket holder with only one comment.

Nothing to see here.

Blackmon isn't even a serviceable DB who was brought to the GMen to fill an annually vacant returner position, at the recommendation of his college buddy Kiwanuka. He did so in mediocre fashion and wasn't brought back. Cruddy returner who was way down on the DB depth chart. In fact, I don't recall him ever getting a snap in the defensive backfield, and this was for a team who needed corners.