Monte Kiffin impressed with the Seahawks' defense

Jville

Reaction score
"Go see Seattle film and you'll probably learn a lot from those guys, and just watch how they move on the field," Kiffin apparently told CB Brandon Carr this past week, and Carr isn't the only one that has received the homework assignment of copying his protege Pete Carroll's Seahawk defense. According to the Dallas Morning News, "Cowboys defensive lineman Jason Hatcher said he chatted with Kiffin two-to-three weeks ago about the defensive scheme change the team would be making. Kiffin didn't confirm where Hatcher would be playing - Hatcher said he thinks it will be at the three-technique tackle position - but advised the 30-year-old to study tape of the Seahawks' defense."

Interesting reads >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.fieldgulls.com/latest-news/2013/2/12/3982208/monte-kiffin-impressed-with-the-seahawks-defense[/urltargetblank]
[urltargetblank]http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2013/02/monte-kiffin-tells-cowboys-defenders-to-study-seahawks-2012-defense.html/[/urltargetblank]

bestfightstory

Reaction score
Monte Kiffin was also extremely extremely impressed with Gus Bradley. Shows what he knows, right?

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I can't wait to watch Chip Kelly's Eagles play Dallas. For that matter, I can't wait til Seattle gets to play dallas again. Monte Kiffin doesnt have a clue how to stop athletic, read option QB's (see his time at USC). He was a great one, but the game has past him by, imo.

chris98251

Reaction score
And so it begins, we are now the receipients of teams trying to replicate what we do. Now lets see if they can find the players willing to be unselfish enough to do it.

Jerry Jones, GM talent evaluator..... not going to bring in the guys Monte wants to run it the way he needs it to be run. First thing will be Safetys that thump and speed.

Nice compliment though.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Hey, Monte Kiffin knows way more about defense than any of us, I like hearing that he's impressed w/what we are doing.

chris98251

Reaction score
Pete learned a lot of his understandings of defense from Monte. I'm sure they have talked a lot with the relationship Pete had with USC these last couple of seasons as well.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
bestfightstory":gb90t1rj said:
Monte Kiffin was also extremely extremely impressed with Gus Bradley. Shows what he knows, right?
Yeah, but that was based on his charisma and teaching abilities, if I recall correctly

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
bestfightstory":28pioj31 said:

Yea, duh... yeah, dat Bradley guy sucked! He went to dat prevent defense when we got ahead, and only got us to da top 5 in most categories. Duh, uh, duh, I hated dat Bradley dude! Now somebody hires him as a head coach...duh...boy are dey dumb!

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Blitzer88":1x26dkre said:
I like seeing other teams players and personnel praising our team.

At the same time, that means other teams are going to start trying to copy our D, going after similar players in the draft. Not sure we're going to be able to find Pro Bowl level guys in the 5th round anymore with more teams looking for the same type of guys.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Kiffen is right around Radish's age. He is losing his mind. Right after paying Seattle this compliment, he tipped the waiter 8 cents, hiked his Sans-a-belt pants up to his armpits, and muttered something about these damn kids now a days.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Scottemojo":h15015ac said:
Kiffen is right around Radish's age. He is losing his mind. Right after paying Seattle this compliment, he tipped the waiter 8 cents, hiked his Sans-a-belt pants up to his armpits, and muttered something about these damn kids now a days.

Radish did this?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":1do7nbg6 said:
Scottemojo":1do7nbg6 said:

Radish did this?

They all do. Old people suck.

McGruff

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":23gnj7sd said:
bestfightstory":23gnj7sd said:

Yea, duh... yeah, dat Bradley guy sucked! He went to dat prevent defense when we got ahead, and only got us to da top 5 in most categories. Duh, uh, duh, I hated dat Bradley dude! Now somebody hires him as a head coach...duh...boy are dey dumb!

Appreciate the sarcasm. Bradley does get far too much guff around here. It's so easy to question play calls, but I personally thought Gus was pretty brilliant.

It will be interesting to see how big his influence was however.

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
chris98251":3jpbvru8 said:
And so it begins, we are now the receipients of teams trying to replicate what we do. Now lets see if they can find the players willing to be unselfish enough to do it.

Jerry Jones, GM talent evaluator..... not going to bring in the guys Monte wants to run it the way he needs it to be run. First thing will be Safetys that thump and speed.

Nice compliment though.

What I like about this is that, as teams try to replicate our defense, our offense practices agains the mold week in and week out - good luck with that opposing defenses - granted this will also become true of the other teams that replicate our D (their offenes practicing against it) - we have set a precedent.

chris98251

Reaction score
Thinking about it, our defense works because John and Pete looked for specific traits in the players they brought in, things a player is born with be it height speed or length having the confidence they could coach the football part in technique.

If other teams try to replicate what we do they will need to evaluate players and adapt them and coach them as well as we have to make it work, that will be where the seperation is.

Hawks46

Reaction score
What's not to be impressed with ?

We led the league in scoring defense, and were top 5 in almost every catagory. The only improvments made can be QB pressure, 3rd down defense, and rushing defense/yards per carry (and really, you're either going to get QB pressure, or run defense from your front 4.....you won't be elite in both in today's NFL). I theorize if we get more QB pressure, team's 3rd down % will go down.

Personally, I'd like to see us improve our tackling technique as well.