Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Post subject: Shocking Anthony McCoy stats. 2013's secret Weapon?
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:34 am 
NET Bench Warmer

Was looking at some stats, and came across some things that surprised me about McCoy. This article is fantasy based, but it shows some eye dropping stats that shows he's better in certain areas than Gonzo, Witten, etc and other places Gronkowski is the only TE better.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... s-in-2012/

Is this a reflection of Russel and what he brings and not so much of Anthony? I know that the sample size is small but he sure looks like a playmaker in waiting.

Post subject: Re: Shocking Anthony McCoy stats. 2013's secret Weapon?
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:52 am 
* NET Staff Alumni *
* NET Staff Alumni *

He needs to buckle down, work very hard and cut out the dropped passes, but he has the potential to be a very good tight end in this league. It's up to him whether he reaches that potential, though.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:58 am 
NET Veteran

McCoy is my favorite Seahawk! Everyone loves to overlook him and find flaws, but the guy just rocks!

Huge, fast, can catch tough balls, makes guys miss and still gets no love.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:22 am 
NET Bench Warmer

Spokane wrote:
McCoy is my favorite Seahawk! Everyone loves to overlook him and find flaws, but the guy just rocks!

Huge, fast, can catch tough balls, makes guys miss and still gets no love.

Shadowhawk wrote:
He needs to buckle down, work very hard and cut out the dropped passes, but he has the potential to be a very good tight end in this league. It's up to him whether he reaches that potential, though.

I'm just wondering if they will expand his role next year? I know Zach had a great couple playoff games but McCoy looks to be the guy with the skill set. 5th deepest pass routes on aimed throws in NFL to end the season. Maybe him and RW started developing something?

Post Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:03 am 
NET Veteran

Spokane wrote:
... the guy just rocks!

Huge, fast, can catch tough balls, makes guys miss...

Sorry, but I just don't see it.

What I see is a player with outstanding physical tools that doesn't have the head for the game.

He plays far too nonchalantly for my liking. It's like he's out there prancing around trying to look the part.

Does he make an occasional play?... yes, he does. I'll give him that.

I would like to see him play more "lunch pail type" like Zach Miller. With his god-given talent/size, McCoy should be more of an impact and perform more consistently in blocking and pass catching.

Imo, he is under-performing relative to what I had hoped his upside would be.

If his 2012 play is his ceiling, I say we upgrade the position and let Anthony move on.

For example, I view Gavin Escobar as an upgrade that can be had for a 3rd round pick this year. The kid is a vacuum machine compared to McCoy.

Moved to Seattle in 1980. Hawks fan for 34 years and counting.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:12 am 
* Gangnameister *

McCoy is great. I don't get the haters, they're just being ignorant. He had an awesome season last year with several game altering catches (and he really cut down on the dropsies). He really put in the work and brought it like one of those lunch pail kinda guys. He's the perfect #2 TE for us and I hope he's retained. We need the #3/h-back/"joker" kind of TE to round out the group. Hope Morrah's healthy and can come back to play that role...

We're in a great position with the te group going into next year. Lucky us!

Post Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:16 am 
NET Veteran

McCoy is not as bad as Seahawks fans say he is but he is no where near as good as Miller. Miller catches everything and McCoy drops the easy ones. Also miller when run blocking, lays people flat out on the ground. McCoy when run blocking usually gets driven back a couple yards.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:18 am 
NET Veteran

Never understood the McCoy hate. He's a solid #2 TE behind Miller and has showed some flashes of excellence with his route running.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:18 am 
NET Rookie

Seahawks_FanMan wrote:
Was looking at some stats, and came across some things that surprised me about McCoy. This article is fantasy based, but it shows some eye dropping stats that shows he's better in certain areas than Gonzo, Witten, etc and other places Gronkowski is the only TE better..

I don't see the magic in him either. He drops too many easy passes.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:29 am 
I'M JIMMY!

I have been critical of the guy and I know he has improved. To me, it is just a possible position of upgrade. I would like both TE's to be dangerous and I have always wanted one if those guys with speed.

I think we could roll with McCoy, but if there is an option for better, the Hawks should take it.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:53 am 
NET Veteran

I think he is badass. He has a few things to work on. I guess most don't like him. The sig I mad for free use never was taken! lol

Post Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:19 am 
NET Veteran

been saying all along.. McCoy is our Delanie Walker.. he is atheletic as hell, but he'll drop a crucial pass at the worst time...

i never understood all the calls for going after a back up tight end, we have a really good one already... he just needs to get more consistant catching the ball.. he made some huge plays for us last season.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:37 am 
NET Veteran

He's no doubt the most underrated player on the team among fans imo, but still needs to work on his fundamentals if he doesnt want to be replaced in the future

Post Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:43 am 
NET Veteran

Well I'm sure he's cognizant of the upcoming draft; lots to choose from. I feel like some of you in that he seems to lack focus sometimes and is nowhere near the blocker Miller is. Something for him to work on in the offseason, but I think he's worth keeping.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:02 am 
NET Veteran

gmor wrote:
Seahawks_FanMan wrote:
Was looking at some stats, and came across some things that surprised me about McCoy. This article is fantasy based, but it shows some eye dropping stats that shows he's better in certain areas than Gonzo, Witten, etc and other places Gronkowski is the only TE better..

I don't see the magic in him either. He drops too many easy passes.

I keep hearing people say this. How many drops do you suppose he had this year? I can recall just 1 drop that was "easy" that was against the Redskins in the playoffs. Other that that, he was pretty sure handed. According to that article he was targeted 23 times and had 18 receptions. Meaning that 5 went incomplete. So at most he had 2-3 drops all year. That's pretty good. His drop problem has improved significantly in 2012.

I know one thing he had far fewer drops than Delanie Walker-- the guy alot of you are so hot for in free agency.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:07 am 
NET Veteran

He had that crazy play in the Washington game were he dropped that easy wide open pass and then laid out someone out of frustration.
He has the tools, the question is if he can use them.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:32 am 
NET Veteran

Wasn't sure about McCoy at the start of the season but then they brought in that other TE and man did he not deliver. McCoy has the size and speed, he is a good blocking TE as well, potential is still there hopefully a full off-season with Wilson and a tailored game plan to Wilson's strengths will bring out more production from McCoy.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:42 am 
NET Rookie

The only problem I have seen with McCooy is his after pass run.
He's a stumbling wreck after the catch.

I really hope he can work on finding a straight line to the end zone, cut out that, what ever it is he does, because he can't do it.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:21 am 
* Master Chief *
* Master Chief *

He is certainly talented, just inconsistent. And I agree, his running after the catch is painful to watch.

TE is a position we could use an upgrade at. I'd be more than happy with Miller, McCoy and a draft pick.

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan

Post Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:18 am 
NET Veteran

I like McCoy but I've always felt most of his positive plays are the results of the position he plays instead of individual effort plays.

The #2 tightend in our offense will benefit a lot from play action that results to them being completely wide open for many of their receptions, so I would prefer the #2 tightend having excellent hands and some YAC ability. Something McCoy struggles with.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:18 pm 
NET Veteran

This was Russell Wilsons first Season as a Pro QB, it was also the first Season for all the TE's and Receivers working with Wilson.
I think all these guys will only get better,,,Continuety?

P.S. Just give Wilson another Receiver with "Get After It" like Ryan Swope, because I doubt like hell that Austin will be there for us.
Swope makes some YAC plays that I think will continue as he goes Pro, and Wilson would have his Wes Welker type Receiver.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:21 pm 
I'M JIMMY!

Sprfunk wrote:
He had that crazy play in the Washington game were he dropped that easy wide open pass and then laid out someone out of frustration.
He has the tools, the question is if he can use them.

That was the best incomplete pass I have ever seen. Like "oh... You were going to bring the big hit huh? Well I've got something for you to consider" then blasts the guy.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:30 pm 
NET Veteran

Nothing against McCoy, but he's mediocre in all facets............blocking, catching, routes and drops.

The #2 TE position is not a HUGE area of need with the sort of offense we run, but I'd still like that position upgraded. Even after the season I'm still wondering what kind of a year Winlsow would have had if he stayed.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:28 pm 
NET Veteran

There is no image more memorable from 2012 than Anthony dunking the football over the wet cross-bar against the 49ers.

I like his imposing size, and I think people are exaggerating his drops. A good guy to have on the roster, even if we add depth to the position this year.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:05 pm 
NET Veteran

I would rather have Wilson throwing the ball to Gavin Escobar, who I believe we could have in the 3rd round.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:53 pm 
NET Rookie

onanygivensunday wrote:
I would rather have Wilson throwing the ball to Gavin Escobar, who I believe we could have in the 3rd round.

No chance Escobar lasts until the 3rd round

Post Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:35 am 
* Mr Random Thought *

McCoy is Mr. inconsistent, both in regards to his hands but also his blocking. A little like someone we used to know. Like Jerramy Stevens, McCoy is capable putting up a nice season, but he seems less likely to put up two great seasons in a row than most with his level of talent.

There is a lot to like about McCoy, and he deserves to be at least a #2 TE in the NFL (which would make him essentially a starter for us).

My problem with McCoy is his straight line speed. He had a lot of catches last year that would have been touchdowns even in the hands of someone with 4.6 speed. He was caught from behind a lot last year, which isn't uncommon for a TE, but it was how quickly he was caught that irked me. I would like to get faster at that position, if we could.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:23 am 
*Scott of Smacksville*
*Scott of Smacksville*

I love that a Seattle player can't get criticized without the hater label being applied.

McCoy improved dramatically last year. He is now a C+ player.
Spokane labeled him fast. Spokane is smoking good shit. McCoy is glacial.

McCoy's biggest strength was a decent postup move that worked for a touchdown or two in the red zone. Any TE that can't use his big body to create space in single coverage should be dismissed immediately. McCoy has below average body control, does not have nor is likely to be coached into natural hands, and made his biggest plays as 3rd reads on Wilson scrambles. You may remember a couple of his good plays. DO you remember him tripping on a piece of lint vs at the Rams, leading to a pick by Wilson? Do you remember his extremely dumb offensive PI at home vs the Rams costing the Hawks an early score?

There are no secret weapons in the NFL. There are only matchup problem players. McCoy is not a difficult matchup for any three down linebacker or safety. Case closed.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:33 am 
NET Veteran

I remember Wilson pushing the Hawks down the field,until he throws to a wide open McCoy... tripping and falling on his face with no one around .
Then the ball sails into a int. around the 25 yard line. 3rd int of the day.

They lost that game.

Well it's all about compete nowadays, so draft another TE to see if McCoy can be less or more than just a "secret" weapon , even to his own offense.

Last edited by Uffda on Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:51 am 
NET Veteran

kearly wrote:
My problem with McCoy is his straight line speed. He had a lot of catches last year that would have been touchdowns even in the hands of someone with 4.6 speed. He was caught from behind a lot last year, which isn't uncommon for a TE, but it was how quickly he was caught that irked me. I would like to get faster at that position, if we could.

McCoy's acceleration is semi-tractor-trailer-like. That, and his inconsistent hands (and relative lack of body control) are the shortcomings that I see on tape. These affect both his pass-catching and his run-blocking.

McCoy is a below average TE in the league. He just is.

We could stand an upgrade. Maybe not this year but certainly next year.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:03 am 
NET Veteran

I found this quote (bolded and larger portion only) from Wiki article about TEs interesting...
Quote:
Some plays are planned to take advantage of a tight end's eligibility (i.e. that they may lawfully catch a forward-passed football). At times, the tight end will not be covered by the defense, a situation that rarely occurs with the regular receivers. The tight end is therefore considered another option for the quarterback to pass to when the wide receivers are covered. The tight end is usually faster than the linebackers who cover him and often stronger than the cornerbacks and safeties who try to tackle him. However, tight ends are typically chosen for their speed and catching ability and therefore tend to have less blocking ability. Size does not affect catching ability. There could be tight ends on both sides of the line.

McCoy has neither playing speed (no acceleration, slow feet) nor catching ability imo.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:24 am 
* Gangnameister *

Sgt. Largent wrote:
Nothing against McCoy, but he's mediocre in all facets............blocking, catching, routes and drops.

The #2 TE position is not a HUGE area of need with the sort of offense we run, but I'd still like that position upgraded. Even after the season I'm still wondering what kind of a year Winlsow would have had if he stayed.

He'd either look like this:
Or like this
...I'd guess.

But he's a [expletive] soildier, so anything's possible I guess...

Post Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:19 am 
NET Veteran

onanygivensunday wrote:
Spokane wrote:
... the guy just rocks!

Huge, fast, can catch tough balls, makes guys miss...

I would like to see him play more "lunch pail type" like Zach Miller.

I love Miller and would take his consistency everyday but McCoy makes a lot of plays that Miller can't. That's why having both is so nice.

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]