Did John Schneider anonymously leak the free agency plan?

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Check out this quote from an anonymous GM to Peter King. Based on King's description of the team and its needs, everything fits to a T with the Seahawks.

1. The new young class of general managers are far more interested in building through the draft than with their checkbooks. Consider this point from one such young-turk general manager of a team that in the past has spent generously in the March free-agent market: "I'm more concerned with keeping our own team intact than spending money on players we could use, but who would create problems of their own." Although this team needs a wide receiver and pass rusher, this general manager fears the impact of high-priced imports on his locker room at a time when he's not going to be able to pay everyone big money.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/ne ... &eref=sihp

Very interesting. The Hawks will no doubt face some very tough decisions on good players in the next few years when the time comes for their second contracts. That is the worst consequence of drafting so well. Unfortunately, not everyone is likely to stick around because of the cap.

If this was Schnieder talking, and if he was telling the truth (and it certainly makes sense), this could be a very dull free agency period.

kidhawk

Reaction score
No worries, it won't be dull. We'll have enough rumors flying around in here to keep you busy without any signings :stirthepot:

pehawk

Reaction score
Hmm, kind of sounds like it. And, I posted on here a question on how bringing in a high-priced would effect chemistry. Sounds like our man...

Basis4day

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":gu55otwy said:
If this was Schnieder talking, and if he was telling the truth (and it certainly makes sense), this could be a very dull free agency period.

I certainly hope so. We're building our team for long term success and not trying to go for broke one year on one high profile free agent. Reward our cap space on our own guys.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":3ur2flnk said:
Check out this quote from an anonymous GM to Peter King. Based on King's description of the team and its needs, everything fits to a T with the Seahawks.

1. The new young class of general managers are far more interested in building through the draft than with their checkbooks. Consider this point from one such young-turk general manager of a team that in the past has spent generously in the March free-agent market: "I'm more concerned with keeping our own team intact than spending money on players we could use, but who would create problems of their own." Although this team needs a wide receiver and pass rusher, this general manager fears the impact of high-priced imports on his locker room at a time when he's not going to be able to pay everyone big money.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/ne ... &eref=sihp

Very interesting. The Hawks will no doubt face some very tough decisions on good players in the next few years when the time comes for their second contracts. That is the worst consequence of drafting so well. Unfortunately, not everyone is likely to stick around because of the cap.

Sounds like JS, but I think the point that this anonymous GM is making is that by not spending heavily in free agency, you can actually afford to keep those players on the team that you like. It's more that poor consequences come from bringing in outsides than it is from drafting well.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
I don't think much of that statement is particularly illuminating or really all that secret. Knowing Peter King, he probably just wants to make it sound like has some sort of amazing scoop.

drdiags

Reaction score
Not sure about the "spent generously in April" part though. Thinking about it, Rice, Miller and to lesser degrees Gallery, TJack, Branch and Jones could be thought of as "spent generously in April".

It doesn't come as a surprise but who knows what happens once opportunity is revealed? There remains hope for those that like the excitement of the FA period.

MLOhawks

Reaction score
Is there even any FA's this year that anyone gives a crap about? The lists I've seen have been pretty underwhelming.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
If teams like the Jets, Eagles and prior to RG3 Redskins proved anything it's that going on free agency spending sprees is not the right way to win a Championship..........and Schneider knows that.

Long term success is predicated on growing your own talent, then adding pieces around. Definitely not spending 50 million in one year, then having a cap nightmare for the next five years.

hawker84

Reaction score
i want a impacting D lineman, don't care how we get him, just get him... other than that, i'm good with the draft as far as WR and O lineman go... we have got to stop the run better and get a pass rush going next season, or we'll be in the same boat.

Largent80

Reaction score
Every year I get gacked up about F.A. and this year?....Nope, we aren't going to do much at all, so it is all window dressing. Our cap is looming in the next couple years and we can't dive in and pay these Jabronies the coin they want.

LawHawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3vc9tvfj said:
Carson Palmer, here we come! I've got an inside source that says so. :D

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL best .NET laugh I've had in a long time. I was just thinking about that post... which quoted, word for word, a telephone conversation between Pete Carroll and someone in the Browns front office... that was an excellent source indeed.

On a more serious note, yes, we are going to have a real problem keeping our guys next year and every single year after that, especially when Wilson gets his new contract before the 2015 season. We are going to be losing great players to the salary cap every year after that. So if you sign anybody expensive up this year, John, you better get all that money in salary cap year 2013, because 2014 is going to be rough and 2015 is going to be a nightmare.

kobebryant

Reaction score
I think any approach the Hawks take will be Ravens-esque, if you will. Augmenting the lineup with some solid, capable vets (Matt Birk, Anquan Boldin, Bryant McKinnie, Bernard Pollard, Bobbie Williams, Corey Graham) while making sure that the core is homegrown for the most part.

CANHawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2zylm0zr said:
Carson Palmer, here we come! I've got an inside source that says so. :D

WE HAVE A QUARTERBACK AND HIS NAME IS CHARLIE!!! <slams phone>

God I miss Trauma regaling us with tall tales from imagination land...

sutz

Reaction score
:229031_shrug:

I wouldn't consider that a "leak." It's what he's been saying all along. The fact that we did make some noise in FA in the past couple of years was more because we were in a hurry to be competitive. Now that we are, it's back to the draft for the majority of our moves. It takes forever to build a top notch team just through the draft, which is why so many owners and teams get impatient and look for the big scores in FA. But, once you lose patience and go that route too far, it's a losing proposition. Ask Dan Snyder.

Our plan seems to be judicious use of FA signings to plug holes and gaps, and shrewd drafting, including trades that maximize picks and shots at quality players later in the draft. So far, they have been combining those steps, in that they sign a vet and draft a rook for the same job and let them fight it out. ComPete.

I don't have a problem with this. I kind of like it. :)

lukerguy

Reaction score
I can see us making an impact but not signing a over 5MM contract. My guess is Freeney is a guy we sign on a 2 year contact for 4 MM per.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Sounds just like Schneider. Especially the pass rusher and wide receiver bit, pretty much gave the game away. Almost like a little nod to the Seahawks fans from Peter King.

And if it is Schneider, makes it more likely they go DT in the first three rounds if they're not going to go after guys like Melton or Starks.

Latest posts