I still think losing Clemons killed us

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
If not for the crappy DC turf, we would have Clemons vs. Atlanta and won that game. NFC championship game in SF would have been EPIC. Woulda Shoulda Coulda.

osprey3263

Reaction score
you are a hundred percent correct! I could not agree with you more!

sutz

Reaction score
Seems likely. Breaks of the game, though. :229031_shrug:

Lady Talon

Reaction score
Maybe, but Atlanta is all about building 3 score leads and tanking them.

Actually, If I were the OC I would have taken a deliberate penalty on our last drive. Intentionally throw an intentional grounding for example. 5 yards, loss of down, 10 second runoff that can't be stopped by a timeout. Same thing that killed Brady at the end of the first half at the Clink. We just scored too fast with too little of a lead. Atlanta is also very good at nailing those last second FGs if you don't take a commanding lead.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
I remember somebody running a thread before the game about how they weren't worried that Clemons was down. I was concerned.

drdiags

Reaction score
No way am I giving up yardage to kill clock needing a TD and on the 1 yd line. The team had a timeout but in hindsight they needed to have Lynch's TD be a fumble. Would have taken a few more ticks off the clock and hopefully they can punch it in from the one.

Clemons hurt, but Hauschka did as well. The team could not afford to have that kickoff returned to the 30 yd line. And with Miller's foot injury, not sure how fit he would have been for the following week against the 9ers. Played his butt off with the injury against the Falcons, but just like Big Red, future performance could have been iffy. Time had run out on the season. Fate is fickle but karma changed sides.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It did hurt the team overall. But, the d-backs and linebackers should have been in position to not allow them to get into fg position.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
At that point in the game, I had more faith in letting RW scrape out a TD or lose the game, then having our defense defend the late FG.

Matt Ryan dashed plenty of hopes doing exactly what he did to us, about 4 times in the regular season.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
While Clemons is an important piece to the pass rush, I don't believe that missing him for the Atlanta game is the sole reason the Seahawks lost. He would have helped but that doesn't guarantee a win. He was around for Arizona, Detroit, and Miami games. The Seahawks didn't win those games while having the lead late in those games too. Where was his impact on the pass rush in those games? Clemons had 11.5 sacks all year. Take out the GB game where he had 4 sacks, he only got 7.5 in the rest of the 15 games. While Chris is a good player, he's not the untouchable that many of you put on him. He's the best on the Seahawks but I feel they can do better. There is an upgrade to Clemons out there, just got to find it.

The Seahawks were one or two plays away from winning games they lost last year. All six of them. They just didn't get it done. Hopefully it's a learning lesson and they can correct that next year.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Plus, they dug themselves in that hole in the 1st half. You win as a team, and lose as a team.

brought to you by capt. obvious

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Losing him certainly showed how badly the team lacked depth for pass rushers

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Seattle blitzed, and Jacquizz Rodgers picked it up and made a huge block. The game ends differently if our blitzer gets free.

I agree that the D-Line needs more depth, but sometimes the other guy just makes a play. Clemons might have been more crucial to our run defense that game. Remember, Atlanta was running all over us in the first half to build their lead.

Barthawk

Reaction score
drdiags":1ipouchj said:
No way am I giving up yardage to kill clock needing a TD and on the 1 yd line. The team had a timeout but in hindsight they needed to have Lynch's TD be a fumble. Would have taken a few more ticks off the clock and hopefully they can punch it in from the one.

Clemons hurt, but Hauschka did as well. The team could not afford to have that kickoff returned to the 30 yd line. And with Miller's foot injury, not sure how fit he would have been for the following week against the 9ers. Played his butt off with the injury against the Falcons, but just like Big Red, future performance could have been iffy. Time had run out on the season. Fate is fickle but karma changed sides.

I liked the fact that he was able to run it out of the endzone.. we gave up 8 yards for 6 seconds.. worth it IMO.. Falcons had 13 seconds when they kicked the FG so even if they had the ball at the 39 instead of the 31.. plenty of time to do another play even without TOs.. sucked that they didn't wrap up Gonzalez at the 35-36 where he caught the ball....