Where does the Alex Smith trade leave us with Flynn?

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13

• A second round pick for Alex Smith... Wtf!

Ugh, our division is gonna be so tough...
    bigdaddydave
    NET Rookie

• Makes me want to puke. Dough boy is an idiot. #andyreid

"We all we got, we all we need"
    lukerguy
    NET Veteran

• We still have him.

:sarcasm_off:
    Last edited by FlyingGreg on Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

• Leaves us high and dry. No one will trade for Flynn, he'll be our backup next year and then he'll walk.
    4/27/13 - I was there #humblethug
    "He looked like a bad man," Sherman said, "and I knew we were alright."
    TheRealDTM
    NET Veteran

• I disagree. I think it gives us some leverage with the other teams that are hungry for a quarterback, especially considering the lack of quality quarterbacks available in the draft this year. I think it's very likely that we can get a fourth, maybe even a third rounder in return for Matt Flynn. Look for the Jets, Jaguars or Bills to start to contact the hawks inquiring about Matty.

"There is no delay of game. We did not let the team know we were scratching our balls"
    IBleedBlueAndGreen
    * NET Injury Guru *

• Leaves us with Jax. They have Gabbert, Henne, Jordan Palmer, some Wilson kid. Gus is there and after looking at film may want to put his trust in someone he has seen in person. We won't get Alex Smith value, but we can move up in the second this year at minimum I think and maybe a conditional pick next year. Flynn plain and simple does not have the sample size to get more, so swapping second round picks might be the best we can get. And I'm fine with that given we also gain cap space.
    Wizofwest
    NET Rookie

• Did they really manage a 2nd round pick for Smith? Holy crap what a bad deal for KC.
    NFL, all your Owlz are belong to us!
    12th_Bob
    NET Veteran

• If we can get a 3rd for him, trade him. Anything less & I hope we keep him. What will the 9ers do if Kap gets injured or turns out to be a flash in the pan?
    RobBaker7714409
    NET Rookie

• We are all assuming here that KC just offered up a 2nd rounder. Let's say for a moment that KC lowballed the Niners to start with. Maybe a 4th or something like that. Then other teams began making offers and the Niners were able to elicit an offer from another team to give up a 2nd rounder for him. This would have put KC in the position to up the offer or walk away from the deal

If this truly did happen, then that would mean there was a team out there willing to spend a 2nd rounder on Smith, but didn't get him. That would mean they are likely still in the market. If a team likes Smith, they might as well give up a 4th or a 3rd and maybe a conditional pick for a backup like Flynn.

Honestly, both us and the Niners have a pretty good base of starters. Both teams are drafting more for the future and for depth than for the now.

As long as we keep thrashing Kaepernick like we did last season, I'm not going to worry too much about it.
    :les:

kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• I hate to say it, but this was a big win for San Fan's front office. They just unloaded garbage for a second and probably a 4th round pick next off season. Smith has a good shot with Andy Reid's staff but I have lot's of doubt they aren't getting Cassell 2.0 here.

I think Flynn is sticking around another season, don't see any team forking over a pick for him at this point.
    NFL, all your Owlz are belong to us!
    12th_Bob
    NET Veteran

• I think the niners basically have 3 first round picks now. i think they have a mid first round pick, a late first round pick, and now an early second. Trade Flynn to the Jags for a 4th and Cecil Shorts.
    hazaduz
    NET Bench Warmer

• hazaduz wrote:I think the niners basically have 3 first round picks now. i think they have a mid first round pick, a late first round pick, and now an early second. Trade Flynn to the Jags for a 4th and Cecil Shorts.

I'm pretty sure the Niners only had one first round pick. I think the only team with an extra 1st rounder this year is St. Louis
    :les:

kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• There's Jax, and then theres Cle...heard the new regime doesn't like Brandon Weeden.
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

• Wow, can't help but laugh at the chiefs. . . Ad then cry because the 9ers just got the 34th pick overall for a complete hack.

I thought the chiefs were the most logical spot for Flynn. I don't think this changes his value at all, just leaves us with one less team to bargain with.
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran

• Man I cannot believe that the 49ers pulled this off. Amazing return on Smith. We better hope they suck at drafting because they have an absurd number of draft picks.
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran

• Unless Andy Reid bites another team's GM, and he becomes infected with what Andy has, then I don't think that it changes things much.
    Machine-wrapped, with butter?

Yes, machine-wrapped, WITH BUTTER
    cdallan
    NET Veteran

• 12th_Bob wrote:Did they really manage a 2nd round pick for Smith? Holy crap what a bad deal for KC.

Two of them actually.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• Missing_Clink wrote:Man I cannot believe that the 49ers pulled this off. Amazing return on Smith. We better hope they suck at drafting because they have an absurd number of draft picks.

I bet you at least 4 of those picks are sent to the Jets for Revis.
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• I'm actually surprised KC didn't trade for Flynn and went with Smith. Flynn would have cost them less money and draft capital. He doesn't have the history that Smith does, but Smith has a lot of sucking in his history and Flynn is a west coast QB.
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

• After listening to KJR this morning, if their numbers they talked about are right I'm A-O-K keeping flynn and just cutting him next year. Moving him means we'd have to sign another back-up so in the end we would really end up only saving about 750k towards the cap. To me it's not worth it, unless he really wants to go and is simply unhappy and a crybaby pee-pants as a backup. While he's an unproven starter I don't think anyone would disagree that he's one of the few backups in the league that inspires much confidence if he has to step in and play.
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

• I think it improves the market tbh. While not playing I think he is comparable to some degree. The Jags maybe with someone like Bradley that knows his skill set. The Browns with a guru like Turner that had good resulrs with the Smith. They could both realistically give up a mid rounder.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• Hasselbeck wrote:
    Missing_Clink wrote:Man I cannot believe that the 49ers pulled this off. Amazing return on Smith. We better hope they suck at drafting because they have an absurd number of draft picks.

You may be right. I am sure that we will be using some of our approximate 15 picks to trade for proven vets like Revis. We obviously won't be drafting 14+ players in the draft as what competitive team could afford to sign them all. We will use them to also trade up in rounds as well.

Gonna be a great offseason for the Niners!
    DISCLAIMER:

The trash talking that I do occasionally this week is strictly for gamesmanship between opposing fanbases as a result of our upcoming matchup this week on SNF. It by no means should be taken personally.
    NinerLifer
    NET Veteran

• SacHawk2.0 wrote:I'm actually surprised KC didn't trade for Flynn and went with Smith. Flynn would have cost them less money and draft capital. He doesn't have the history that Smith does, but Smith has a lot of sucking in his history and Flynn is a west coast QB.

Alex Smith at least led the Niners on the brink of a Super Bowl..

Matt Flynn COULD be really good, or he could be another Matt Cassel.

I mean both are hard to sell to the fan-base but I have to believe the Smith deal is a bit easier to justify.
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• I will be very happy with a 3rd, and completely content with a 4th, ok with a 5th. JS is magic.
    SNDavidson
    NET Veteran

• Now that this happened...Lets see If Arizona would give up Patrick peterson for Matt Flynn and Leon Washington? Instead of getting a guy like Revis. Patrick Peterson would be able to fill the role of Revis and Washington..Not as good as Revis but good.
    hawksman53
    NET Veteran

• "the 49ers now have five of the first 93 picks, and are expected to have 15 total once compensatory selections are doled out" (from rotoworld.com)

That's not good, especially without that many holes to fill. I can see the 9ers making a big trade with some of those for either a major impact player or to move up in the draft. But I also have to think they'll trade as many of those picks as possible for future picks. Does anyone know if there is a limit to how far in the future you can trade picks for? Can teams trade a 3rd this year for like a 1st or 2nd in 2 or 3 years?
    ihawk
    NET Bench Warmer

• how is a team that just played in the superbowl in this posistion.? kudos to their front office... unfricken believable..
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

• At the very least, this probably drives down the value of Nick Foles in the eyes of many.

Reid had him for a year and could have got him for a lot less. Still didn't.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

• The pick they got from KC was effectively the 34th pick. So, they're sitting there with #31 and #34. That is not good. They could potentially move up into the top 12 picks with those two. But, it's a deep draft and even if they just stay there with those two picks, the division is bound to get a little tougher. The good news is that it might make it easier to move Flynn because the Browns and the Cardinals need a QB just as badly as KC did and Flynn is the best alternative now available.
    BBHawks
    NET Bench Warmer

• 12th_Bob wrote:Did they really manage a 2nd round pick for Smith? Holy crap what a bad deal for KC.

Actually, according to the article they got TWO second-round picks:
    "the 49ers will get a second-round pick in 2013 and a similar draft choice in 2014"

Yikes.
    Terry
    (The Lurker)
    tdlabrie
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• I'm hearing that the 2014 pick is a conditional 3rd that can become a 2nd based on the # of wins KC gets this year.
    Shadowhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• tdlabrie wrote:
    12th_Bob wrote:Did they really manage a 2nd round pick for Smith? Holy crap what a bad deal for KC.

Actually, according to the article they got TWO second-round picks:
    "the 49ers will get a second-round pick in 2013 and a similar draft choice in 2014"

Yikes.

ESPN and Fox Sports say it's KC second round pick this year and a CONDITIONAL 2014 pick next year.
    "We have to focus with every challenge we get. The bigger, the better. The more hyped, the better. We keep doing what we're doing. Tough matchups on the road, high-profile games - we want that, we feed off that, we should be able to develop the discipline to deal with that." Pete Carroll
    Hawkfish
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• NinerLifer wrote:
    Hasselbeck wrote:
    Missing_Clink wrote:Man I cannot believe that the 49ers pulled this off. Amazing return on Smith. We better hope they suck at drafting because they have an absurd number of draft picks.

You may be right. I am sure that we will be using some of our approximate 15 picks to trade for proven vets like Revis. We obviously won't be drafting 14+ players in the draft as what competitive team could afford to sign them all. We will use them to also trade up in rounds as well.

Who they got when Kaepernick gets injured? He doesn't run smart like Wilson. He runs in straight lines. My money says when the NFL starts trying to stop the Pistol they will start with San Francisco because Kaepernick is the most predictable one of the bunch of running QBs.

Smith was ACTUALLY a proven QB unlike our #2. If ya axe me ...which ya didn't ...they screwed the pooch when Colin gets somebuddies foot up his azz.
    HUGGY
    *NET Poop Holster*

• NinerLifer wrote:
    Hasselbeck wrote:

More likely to package some picks, move up in the first and draft Justin Smith's successor.
    Shadowhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• I don't think Flynn has much trade value, if any. There was minimal interest in him as a free agent last season, and he didn't do anything to improve his stock in the preseason or regular season.

I don't think they'll get an offer that they like and he will end up being the backup here next season.
    Do you like curry? - Gareth Keenan
    DYLcurry59
    NET Starter

• Wow.....what are the Chiefs thinking?
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• Remember too that this is a 2nd round pick FROM THE CHIEFS. #34 overall. It's only 3 spots lower than the 49ers 1st rounder.

For the record, I do think Flynn will be traded. Jacksonville and New York (Jets) are looking for competition at quarterback, and both have connections to the Seahawks and Matt Flynn. I'm not expecting much, in fact I could very easily see Seattle trading Flynn straight up for Tim Tebow. Seattle could release Tebow the minute the trade is done if they wanted (his salary has no guaranteed money left), and if they wanted to keep him he'd at least make for a better read-option QB than Flynn. The Jets don't seem to be opposed to a pocket QB.
    Last edited by kearly on Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• As much as I hate the Niners, this is an incredible deal. 2 second round picks possibly for Alex flippen Smith????
    60 percent of the time..........it works........every time
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• Love this move for the Seahawks. I don't care what it means in terms of Flynn, because frankly I don't care where he plays next year.

What I care about is that the 49ers just traded a proven QB. That although stuggled early in his career, really came on over the last two years. For Colin Kaepernick.

But... but Kaepernick is a super bowl qb... NO HE ISN'T. Teams struggled to adjust to his style of play last year except Seattle, St. Louis and Baltimore. He is an athletic guy with get speed and a great OLine. But, he has fast ball and no second pitch. He never looks off his first read. Teams will game plan for him better next year. Think Cam Newton last year.

All the ESPN love comes from the fact that the kid has a few top 10 plays. Watch the throwing mechanics. Watch his feet under pressure. Watch his eyes, they don't move. Love that he is the future in SF, with no safety net.
    sainthawk29
    NET Starter

• People are surprised?

Newsflash

QBs are expensive to trade for. Always have been. Always will be.
    themunn
    NET Veteran

• sainthawk29 wrote:Love this move for the Seahawks. I don't care what it means in terms of Flynn, because frankly I don't care where he plays next year.

What I care about is that the 49ers just traded a proven QB. That although stuggled early in his career, really came on over the last two years. For Colin Kaepernick.

But... but Kaepernick is a super bowl qb... NO HE ISN'T. Teams struggled to adjust to his style of play last year except Seattle, St. Louis and Baltimore. He is an athletic guy with get speed and a great OLine. But, he has fast ball and no second pitch. He never looks off his first read. Teams will game plan for him better next year. Think Cam Newton last year.

All the ESPN love comes from the fact that the kid has a few top 10 plays. Watch the throwing mechanics. Watch his feet under pressure. Watch his eyes, they don't move. Love that he is the future in SF, with no safety net.

What HE SAID...exactamundo!!!!
    HUGGY
    *NET Poop Holster*

• Add in that this is a contract year for Kaepernick. They're going to have to pay him what the ESPN hype and a winning season will demand. Going to have a lot of problems dancing around the cap if they bring in FA's this year. If they don't win the division this year and deep run the playoffs, going to be real tough convincing their vets to pay cut to win championships again.
    Last edited by Russell Wilson on Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:20 pm, edited 29-3 times in total.
    Last edited by NFC Champion Russell Wilson on Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:14 pm, edited 23-17 times in total.
    Last edited by World Champion Russell Wilson on Sun Feb 2, 2014 7:14 pm, edited 43-8 times in total.
    Lady Talon
    NET Veteran

• sainthawk29 wrote:Love this move for the Seahawks. I don't care what it means in terms of Flynn, because frankly I don't care where he plays next year.

So the rest of the league is going to adjust to Kaepernick, but Kaepernick isn't going to get better? The reason Kaep runs in straight lines is because you don't have to juke what's behind you as he is faster than most defenders, and usually burns them to the outside before turning STRAIGHT upfield. Besides he isn't a "running" QB, he is a QB that runs as he has proven that he can win with his arm plenty. I think that you are seeing what you want to see with your "never" statements as well.
    Last edited by NinerLifer on Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
    DISCLAIMER:

The trash talking that I do occasionally this week is strictly for gamesmanship between opposing fanbases as a result of our upcoming matchup this week on SNF. It by no means should be taken personally.
    NinerLifer
    NET Veteran

• Lady Talon wrote:Add in that this is a contract year for Kaepernick. They're going to have to pay him what the ESPN hype and a winning season will demand. Going to have a lot of problems dancing around the cap if they bring in FA's this year. If they don't win the division this year and deep run the playoffs, going to be real tough convincing their vets to pay cut to win championships again.

No, it isn't a contract year.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• NinerLifer wrote:
    sainthawk29 wrote:Love this move for the Seahawks. I don't care what it means in terms of Flynn, because frankly I don't care where he plays next year.

So the rest of the league is going to adjust to Kaepernick, but Kaepernick isn't going to get better? The reason Kaep runs in straight lines is because you don't have the juke what's behind you as he is faster than most defenders, and usually burns them to the outside before turning STRAIGHT upfield. Besides he isn't a "running" QB, he is a QB that runs as he has proven that he can win with his arm plenty. I think that you are seeing what you want to see with your "never" statements as well.

I will put into perspective. If i had a choice between any of the "athletic" QB's ie. Newton, Kap, Wilson, and RG3. I would take Kap last, and wouldn't think twice about it.

This isn't a 49ers thing. He could play for the Chargers or Bengals I don't care. You give me a qb with his skill set. His ability to read defenses. I would not risk my team (which is a super bowl talented team) giving him the reins.

He is going to play well against bad defenes because he stretchs your defense out. But when you talk about QB's improving I look at what he can do, when things are taken away. ie St. Louis and Seattle.

As a example, if I were a Def. Coordinator facing Russel Wilson, how do I limit him? Take away the option? or rush up the middle to disrupt sight lines? He has enough strengths that he is adaptable.

Kap struggles in two fundamental areas. One, in progression, and two, he lowers his eyes to quickly. Sure those are only two issues, but historically are two that are very hard to overcome. Look at David Carr, Tim Couch, Brady Quinn. All first target throwers, like Kap.

Find me one first target thrower that developed into a great pro? I understand that none of them were as atheletic as Kap, but eventually defenses will catch up.
    sainthawk29
    NET Starter

• sainthawk29 wrote:
    NinerLifer wrote:
    sainthawk29 wrote:Love this move for the Seahawks. I don't care what it means in terms of Flynn, because frankly I don't care where he plays next year.

So the rest of the league is going to adjust to Kaepernick, but Kaepernick isn't going to get better? The reason Kaep runs in straight lines is because you don't have the juke what's behind you as he is faster than most defenders, and usually burns them to the outside before turning STRAIGHT upfield. Besides he isn't a "running" QB, he is a QB that runs as he has proven that he can win with his arm plenty. I think that you are seeing what you want to see with your "never" statements as well.

I will put into perspective. If i had a choice between any of the "athletic" QB's ie. Newton, Kap, Wilson, and RG3. I would take Kap last, and wouldn't think twice about it.

This isn't a 49ers thing. He could play for the Chargers or Bengals I don't care. You give me a qb with his skill set. His ability to read defenses. I would not risk my team (which is a super bowl talented team) giving him the reins.

He is going to play well against bad defenes because he stretchs your defense out. But when you talk about QB's improving I look at what he can do, when things are taken away. ie St. Louis and Seattle.

As a example, if I were a Def. Coordinator facing Russel Wilson, how do I limit him? Take away the option? or rush up the middle to disrupt sight lines? He has enough strengths that he is adaptable.

Kap struggles in two fundamental areas. One, in progression, and two, he lowers his eyes to quickly. Sure those are only two issues, but historically are two that are very hard to overcome. Look at David Carr, Tim Couch, Brady Quinn. All first target throwers, like Kap.

Find me one first target thrower that developed into a great pro? I understand that none of them were as atheletic as Kap, but eventually defenses will catch up.

God, I hope you are a football genius.
    "Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
    "BFS is kicking ass in here." -kearly (8/9/2013)
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *

• TheRealDTM wrote:Leaves us high and dry. No one will trade for Flynn, he'll be our backup next year and then he'll walk.

OMG!, OMG!, OMG!
    If it does go dow exactly that way, who gives a sh*t?

Reed was canned by the Eagles for being a dumbass, now the Chiefs turn in the barrel.
    Holy sh*t, just how stupid was it, that the Chiefs organization let themselves be duped out of a second round pick for Smith?, wouldn't you think that they would have considered a rebuilding of their Offensive line by using their first three rounds?

We probably won't see Flynn take the field next Season, so there's really not a good reason to be concerned with what JS and PC will do with our roster, as they've done pretty well so far, right?

There are some here that are blowing the Flynn situation way out of preportion, and want the Seahawks to just unload him, I just don't buy the need to start pushing any panic butons.
    The 49rs haven't just been instantly upgraded, nor were we instantly downgraded.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

• sainthawk29 wrote:
    NinerLifer wrote:

If you are correct about this, then you are very smart.

"We all we got, we all we need"
    lukerguy
    NET Veteran

• Kudos to SFO. It will be interesting to see this unfold over the next few months. They have placed themselves in a very envious position and will really have to "screw the pooch" with some major mistakes for this NOT to pan out for them. Do they bring in young talent and let some of the expensive older guys walk? Do they package picks and move up for a real game-changer? They can literally do whatever they want with all the picks they have. The only thing I see slowing them down is salary CAP and some stupid mistakes which I doubt they will make. As others have mentioned we have a pretty decent amount of picks without the cap issues. We are probably under a little more pressure now but I do trust our front office to come through with a few major "tilt the field" type of players. Hopefully at least one for each side of the ball. This year will be epic and SF is the reason we push and we are the main reason they push. Cant wait to see how it all unfolds.
    travlinhawk
    NET Starter

Next

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:53 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information