Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Where does the Alex Smith trade leave us with Flynn?
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:01 am 
NET Bench Warmer
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:02 am
Posts: 38
Who would be interested in Flynn now that KC has Smith? I was holding out hope that KC would want him not that is gone. 49ers got great value for Smith too.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutd ... --nfl.html


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where does the Alex Smith trade leave us with Flynn?
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:04 am 
NET Rookie
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:26 am
Posts: 121
A second round pick for Alex Smith... Wtf!

Ugh, our division is gonna be so tough...


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where does the Alex Smith trade leave us with Flynn?
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:06 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:00 pm
Posts: 1363
Makes me want to puke. Dough boy is an idiot. #andyreid

_________________
Image

"We all we got, we all we need"


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where does the Alex Smith trade leave us with Flynn?
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:08 am 
* Master Chief *
* Master Chief *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:19 am
Posts: 7407
Location: CVN-68
We still have him.

:sarcasm_off:

_________________
@SeahawkGreg

Image

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan


Last edited by FlyingGreg on Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where does the Alex Smith trade leave us with Flynn?
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:08 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:26 pm
Posts: 795
Location: Bellingham, WA
Leaves us high and dry. No one will trade for Flynn, he'll be our backup next year and then he'll walk.

_________________
4/27/13 - I was there #humblethug
"He looked like a bad man," Sherman said, "and I knew we were alright."


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where does the Alex Smith trade leave us with Flynn?
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:16 am 
* NET Injury Guru *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:56 am
Posts: 1518
Location: Poulsbo, WA
I disagree. I think it gives us some leverage with the other teams that are hungry for a quarterback, especially considering the lack of quality quarterbacks available in the draft this year. I think it's very likely that we can get a fourth, maybe even a third rounder in return for Matt Flynn. Look for the Jets, Jaguars or Bills to start to contact the hawks inquiring about Matty.

_________________
Image

"There is no delay of game. We did not let the team know we were scratching our balls"


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where does the Alex Smith trade leave us with Flynn?
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:16 am 
NET Rookie
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:06 pm
Posts: 172
Leaves us with Jax. They have Gabbert, Henne, Jordan Palmer, some Wilson kid. Gus is there and after looking at film may want to put his trust in someone he has seen in person. We won't get Alex Smith value, but we can move up in the second this year at minimum I think and maybe a conditional pick next year. Flynn plain and simple does not have the sample size to get more, so swapping second round picks might be the best we can get. And I'm fine with that given we also gain cap space.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where does the Alex Smith trade leave us with Flynn?
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:17 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:56 pm
Posts: 1745
Did they really manage a 2nd round pick for Smith? Holy crap what a bad deal for KC.

_________________
NFL, all your Owlz are belong to us!


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where does the Alex Smith trade leave us with Flynn?
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:20 am 
NET Rookie
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:56 pm
Posts: 172
If we can get a 3rd for him, trade him. Anything less & I hope we keep him. What will the 9ers do if Kap gets injured or turns out to be a flash in the pan?


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where does the Alex Smith trade leave us with Flynn?
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:24 am 
* NET Staff Alumni *
* NET Staff Alumni *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:00 pm
Posts: 12375
Location: Anchorage, AK
We are all assuming here that KC just offered up a 2nd rounder. Let's say for a moment that KC lowballed the Niners to start with. Maybe a 4th or something like that. Then other teams began making offers and the Niners were able to elicit an offer from another team to give up a 2nd rounder for him. This would have put KC in the position to up the offer or walk away from the deal

If this truly did happen, then that would mean there was a team out there willing to spend a 2nd rounder on Smith, but didn't get him. That would mean they are likely still in the market. If a team likes Smith, they might as well give up a 4th or a 3rd and maybe a conditional pick for a backup like Flynn.

Honestly, both us and the Niners have a pretty good base of starters. Both teams are drafting more for the future and for depth than for the now.

As long as we keep thrashing Kaepernick like we did last season, I'm not going to worry too much about it.

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where does the Alex Smith trade leave us with Flynn?
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:25 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:56 pm
Posts: 1745
I hate to say it, but this was a big win for San Fan's front office. They just unloaded garbage for a second and probably a 4th round pick next off season. Smith has a good shot with Andy Reid's staff but I have lot's of doubt they aren't getting Cassell 2.0 here.

I think Flynn is sticking around another season, don't see any team forking over a pick for him at this point.

_________________
NFL, all your Owlz are belong to us!


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where does the Alex Smith trade leave us with Flynn?
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:26 am 
NET Bench Warmer
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:02 am
Posts: 38
I think the niners basically have 3 first round picks now. i think they have a mid first round pick, a late first round pick, and now an early second. Trade Flynn to the Jags for a 4th and Cecil Shorts.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where does the Alex Smith trade leave us with Flynn?
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:28 am 
* NET Staff Alumni *
* NET Staff Alumni *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:00 pm
Posts: 12375
Location: Anchorage, AK
hazaduz wrote:
I think the niners basically have 3 first round picks now. i think they have a mid first round pick, a late first round pick, and now an early second. Trade Flynn to the Jags for a 4th and Cecil Shorts.


I'm pretty sure the Niners only had one first round pick. I think the only team with an extra 1st rounder this year is St. Louis

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where does the Alex Smith trade leave us with Flynn?
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:31 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:12 am
Posts: 6360
There's Jax, and then theres Cle...heard the new regime doesn't like Brandon Weeden.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where does the Alex Smith trade leave us with Flynn?
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:38 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:26 am
Posts: 2869
Wow, can't help but laugh at the chiefs. . . Ad then cry because the 9ers just got the 34th pick overall for a complete hack.

I thought the chiefs were the most logical spot for Flynn. I don't think this changes his value at all, just leaves us with one less team to bargain with.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where does the Alex Smith trade leave us with Flynn?
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:47 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:53 am
Posts: 2288
Man I cannot believe that the 49ers pulled this off. Amazing return on Smith. We better hope they suck at drafting because they have an absurd number of draft picks.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where does the Alex Smith trade leave us with Flynn?
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:48 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:08 am
Posts: 783
Location: Scotland
Unless Andy Reid bites another team's GM, and he becomes infected with what Andy has, then I don't think that it changes things much.

_________________
Machine-wrapped, with butter?

Yes, machine-wrapped, WITH BUTTER


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where does the Alex Smith trade leave us with Flynn?
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:51 am 
* NET Sage *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 4:55 pm
Posts: 4299
12th_Bob wrote:
Did they really manage a 2nd round pick for Smith? Holy crap what a bad deal for KC.


Two of them actually.

_________________
February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where does the Alex Smith trade leave us with Flynn?
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:53 am 
* NET Sage *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 4:55 pm
Posts: 4299
Missing_Clink wrote:
Man I cannot believe that the 49ers pulled this off. Amazing return on Smith. We better hope they suck at drafting because they have an absurd number of draft picks.


I bet you at least 4 of those picks are sent to the Jets for Revis.

_________________
February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where does the Alex Smith trade leave us with Flynn?
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:00 am 
*Host of .NET Awards*
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:51 pm
Posts: 8871
Location: With a white girl
I'm actually surprised KC didn't trade for Flynn and went with Smith. Flynn would have cost them less money and draft capital. He doesn't have the history that Smith does, but Smith has a lot of sucking in his history and Flynn is a west coast QB.

_________________
Legal Notice: Only a very small percentage of the things I do and say can be taken seriously. If ever.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where does the Alex Smith trade leave us with Flynn?
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:03 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:51 am
Posts: 2208
After listening to KJR this morning, if their numbers they talked about are right I'm A-O-K keeping flynn and just cutting him next year. Moving him means we'd have to sign another back-up so in the end we would really end up only saving about 750k towards the cap. To me it's not worth it, unless he really wants to go and is simply unhappy and a crybaby pee-pants as a backup. While he's an unproven starter I don't think anyone would disagree that he's one of the few backups in the league that inspires much confidence if he has to step in and play.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where does the Alex Smith trade leave us with Flynn?
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:14 am 
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:00 pm
Posts: 8663
Location: Is Everything
I think it improves the market tbh. While not playing I think he is comparable to some degree. The Jags maybe with someone like Bradley that knows his skill set. The Browns with a guru like Turner that had good resulrs with the Smith. They could both realistically give up a mid rounder.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where does the Alex Smith trade leave us with Flynn?
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:17 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:30 pm
Posts: 690
Hasselbeck wrote:
Missing_Clink wrote:
Man I cannot believe that the 49ers pulled this off. Amazing return on Smith. We better hope they suck at drafting because they have an absurd number of draft picks.


I bet you at least 4 of those picks are sent to the Jets for Revis.


You may be right. I am sure that we will be using some of our approximate 15 picks to trade for proven vets like Revis. We obviously won't be drafting 14+ players in the draft as what competitive team could afford to sign them all. We will use them to also trade up in rounds as well.

Gonna be a great offseason for the Niners!

_________________
DISCLAIMER:

The trash talking that I do occasionally this week is strictly for gamesmanship between opposing fanbases as a result of our upcoming matchup this week on SNF. It by no means should be taken personally.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where does the Alex Smith trade leave us with Flynn?
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:20 am 
* NET Sage *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 4:55 pm
Posts: 4299
SacHawk2.0 wrote:
I'm actually surprised KC didn't trade for Flynn and went with Smith. Flynn would have cost them less money and draft capital. He doesn't have the history that Smith does, but Smith has a lot of sucking in his history and Flynn is a west coast QB.


Alex Smith at least led the Niners on the brink of a Super Bowl..

Matt Flynn COULD be really good, or he could be another Matt Cassel.

I mean both are hard to sell to the fan-base but I have to believe the Smith deal is a bit easier to justify.

_________________
February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where does the Alex Smith trade leave us with Flynn?
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:25 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:22 pm
Posts: 1429
I will be very happy with a 3rd, and completely content with a 4th, ok with a 5th. JS is magic.

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where does the Alex Smith trade leave us with Flynn?
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:30 am 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 11:27 pm
Posts: 813
Now that this happened...Lets see If Arizona would give up Patrick peterson for Matt Flynn and Leon Washington? Instead of getting a guy like Revis. Patrick Peterson would be able to fill the role of Revis and Washington..Not as good as Revis but good.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where does the Alex Smith trade leave us with Flynn?
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:34 am 
NET Bench Warmer
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:25 pm
Posts: 46
"the 49ers now have five of the first 93 picks, and are expected to have 15 total once compensatory selections are doled out" (from rotoworld.com)

That's not good, especially without that many holes to fill. I can see the 9ers making a big trade with some of those for either a major impact player or to move up in the draft. But I also have to think they'll trade as many of those picks as possible for future picks. Does anyone know if there is a limit to how far in the future you can trade picks for? Can teams trade a 3rd this year for like a 1st or 2nd in 2 or 3 years?


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where does the Alex Smith trade leave us with Flynn?
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:51 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:22 pm
Posts: 3870
Location: Tri Cities, WA
how is a team that just played in the superbowl in this posistion.? kudos to their front office... unfricken believable..

_________________
World Champs - Sounds good don't it


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where does the Alex Smith trade leave us with Flynn?
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:21 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:15 am
Posts: 3092
At the very least, this probably drives down the value of Nick Foles in the eyes of many.

Reid had him for a year and could have got him for a lot less. Still didn't.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where does the Alex Smith trade leave us with Flynn?
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:24 pm 
NET Bench Warmer
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:21 pm
Posts: 44
The pick they got from KC was effectively the 34th pick. So, they're sitting there with #31 and #34. That is not good. They could potentially move up into the top 12 picks with those two. But, it's a deep draft and even if they just stay there with those two picks, the division is bound to get a little tougher. The good news is that it might make it easier to move Flynn because the Browns and the Cardinals need a QB just as badly as KC did and Flynn is the best alternative now available.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where does the Alex Smith trade leave us with Flynn?
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:40 pm 
*GOLD SUPPORTER*
*GOLD SUPPORTER*
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 5:01 pm
Posts: 1094
12th_Bob wrote:
Did they really manage a 2nd round pick for Smith? Holy crap what a bad deal for KC.

Actually, according to the article they got TWO second-round picks:
"the 49ers will get a second-round pick in 2013 and a similar draft choice in 2014"

Yikes.

_________________
Terry
(The Lurker)


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where does the Alex Smith trade leave us with Flynn?
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:50 pm 
* NET Staff Alumni *
* NET Staff Alumni *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:05 am
Posts: 1036
I'm hearing that the 2014 pick is a conditional 3rd that can become a 2nd based on the # of wins KC gets this year.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where does the Alex Smith trade leave us with Flynn?
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:52 pm 
*SILVER SUPPORTER*
*SILVER SUPPORTER*
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:12 pm
Posts: 697
Location: Monroe, WA
tdlabrie wrote:
12th_Bob wrote:
Did they really manage a 2nd round pick for Smith? Holy crap what a bad deal for KC.

Actually, according to the article they got TWO second-round picks:
"the 49ers will get a second-round pick in 2013 and a similar draft choice in 2014"

Yikes.



ESPN and Fox Sports say it's KC second round pick this year and a CONDITIONAL 2014 pick next year.

_________________
Image
"How is it that the first drink from a tankard tastes best?" Martin Luther
"What day is it, anyway? Monday? Huh? The hell it is. It's Sunday. Sunday I always dress for dinner." Robert Neville


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where does the Alex Smith trade leave us with Flynn?
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:53 pm 
*NET Poop Holster*
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:07 pm
Posts: 310
Location: N. Seattle
NinerLifer wrote:
Hasselbeck wrote:
Missing_Clink wrote:
Man I cannot believe that the 49ers pulled this off. Amazing return on Smith. We better hope they suck at drafting because they have an absurd number of draft picks.


I bet you at least 4 of those picks are sent to the Jets for Revis.


You may be right. I am sure that we will be using some of our approximate 15 picks to trade for proven vets like Revis. We obviously won't be drafting 14+ players in the draft as what competitive team could afford to sign them all. We will use them to also trade up in rounds as well.

Gonna be a great offseason for the Niners!


Who they got when Kaepernick gets injured? He doesn't run smart like Wilson. He runs in straight lines. My money says when the NFL starts trying to stop the Pistol they will start with San Francisco because Kaepernick is the most predictable one of the bunch of running QBs.

Smith was ACTUALLY a proven QB unlike our #2. If ya axe me ...which ya didn't ...they screwed the pooch when Colin gets somebuddies foot up his azz.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where does the Alex Smith trade leave us with Flynn?
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:54 pm 
* NET Staff Alumni *
* NET Staff Alumni *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:05 am
Posts: 1036
NinerLifer wrote:
Hasselbeck wrote:
Missing_Clink wrote:
Man I cannot believe that the 49ers pulled this off. Amazing return on Smith. We better hope they suck at drafting because they have an absurd number of draft picks.


I bet you at least 4 of those picks are sent to the Jets for Revis.


You may be right. I am sure that we will be using some of our approximate 15 picks to trade for proven vets like Revis. We obviously won't be drafting 14+ players in the draft as what competitive team could afford to sign them all. We will use them to also trade up in rounds as well.

Gonna be a great offseason for the Niners!


More likely to package some picks, move up in the first and draft Justin Smith's successor.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where does the Alex Smith trade leave us with Flynn?
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:09 pm 
NET Starter
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:27 am
Posts: 447
Location: Redding, CA
I don't think Flynn has much trade value, if any. There was minimal interest in him as a free agent last season, and he didn't do anything to improve his stock in the preseason or regular season.

I don't think they'll get an offer that they like and he will end up being the backup here next season.

_________________
Do you like curry? - Gareth Keenan


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where does the Alex Smith trade leave us with Flynn?
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:12 pm 
* NET Eeyore *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:47 am
Posts: 10481
Location: Pasco, WA
Wow.....what are the Chiefs thinking?

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where does the Alex Smith trade leave us with Flynn?
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:14 pm 
* Mr Random Thought *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:44 am
Posts: 9819
Remember too that this is a 2nd round pick FROM THE CHIEFS. #34 overall. It's only 3 spots lower than the 49ers 1st rounder.

For the record, I do think Flynn will be traded. Jacksonville and New York (Jets) are looking for competition at quarterback, and both have connections to the Seahawks and Matt Flynn. I'm not expecting much, in fact I could very easily see Seattle trading Flynn straight up for Tim Tebow. Seattle could release Tebow the minute the trade is done if they wanted (his salary has no guaranteed money left), and if they wanted to keep him he'd at least make for a better read-option QB than Flynn. The Jets don't seem to be opposed to a pocket QB.


Last edited by kearly on Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where does the Alex Smith trade leave us with Flynn?
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:16 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
Posts: 2346
Location: Sammamish, WA
As much as I hate the Niners, this is an incredible deal. 2 second round picks possibly for Alex flippen Smith????

_________________
60 percent of the time..........it works........every time


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where does the Alex Smith trade leave us with Flynn?
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:18 pm 
NET Starter
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:15 am
Posts: 333
Love this move for the Seahawks. I don't care what it means in terms of Flynn, because frankly I don't care where he plays next year.

What I care about is that the 49ers just traded a proven QB. That although stuggled early in his career, really came on over the last two years. For Colin Kaepernick.

But... but Kaepernick is a super bowl qb... NO HE ISN'T. Teams struggled to adjust to his style of play last year except Seattle, St. Louis and Baltimore. He is an athletic guy with get speed and a great OLine. But, he has fast ball and no second pitch. He never looks off his first read. Teams will game plan for him better next year. Think Cam Newton last year.

All the ESPN love comes from the fact that the kid has a few top 10 plays. Watch the throwing mechanics. Watch his feet under pressure. Watch his eyes, they don't move. Love that he is the future in SF, with no safety net.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where does the Alex Smith trade leave us with Flynn?
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:20 pm 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Fri May 18, 2012 4:38 pm
Posts: 2261
People are surprised?

Newsflash

QBs are expensive to trade for. Always have been. Always will be.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where does the Alex Smith trade leave us with Flynn?
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:32 pm 
*NET Poop Holster*
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:07 pm
Posts: 310
Location: N. Seattle
sainthawk29 wrote:
Love this move for the Seahawks. I don't care what it means in terms of Flynn, because frankly I don't care where he plays next year.

What I care about is that the 49ers just traded a proven QB. That although stuggled early in his career, really came on over the last two years. For Colin Kaepernick.

But... but Kaepernick is a super bowl qb... NO HE ISN'T. Teams struggled to adjust to his style of play last year except Seattle, St. Louis and Baltimore. He is an athletic guy with get speed and a great OLine. But, he has fast ball and no second pitch. He never looks off his first read. Teams will game plan for him better next year. Think Cam Newton last year.

All the ESPN love comes from the fact that the kid has a few top 10 plays. Watch the throwing mechanics. Watch his feet under pressure. Watch his eyes, they don't move. Love that he is the future in SF, with no safety net.


What HE SAID...exactamundo!!!!


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where does the Alex Smith trade leave us with Flynn?
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:45 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:55 am
Posts: 757
Add in that this is a contract year for Kaepernick. They're going to have to pay him what the ESPN hype and a winning season will demand. Going to have a lot of problems dancing around the cap if they bring in FA's this year. If they don't win the division this year and deep run the playoffs, going to be real tough convincing their vets to pay cut to win championships again.

_________________
Last edited by Russell Wilson on Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:20 pm, edited 29-3 times in total.
Last edited by NFC Champion Russell Wilson on Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:14 pm, edited 23-17 times in total.
Last edited by World Champion Russell Wilson on Sun Feb 2, 2014 7:14 pm, edited 43-8 times in total.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where does the Alex Smith trade leave us with Flynn?
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:58 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:30 pm
Posts: 690
sainthawk29 wrote:
Love this move for the Seahawks. I don't care what it means in terms of Flynn, because frankly I don't care where he plays next year.

What I care about is that the 49ers just traded a proven QB. That although stuggled early in his career, really came on over the last two years. For Colin Kaepernick.

But... but Kaepernick is a super bowl qb... NO HE ISN'T. Teams struggled to adjust to his style of play last year except Seattle, St. Louis and Baltimore. He is an athletic guy with get speed and a great OLine. But, he has fast ball and no second pitch. He never looks off his first read. Teams will game plan for him better next year. Think Cam Newton last year.

All the ESPN love comes from the fact that the kid has a few top 10 plays. Watch the throwing mechanics. Watch his feet under pressure. Watch his eyes, they don't move. Love that he is the future in SF, with no safety net.


So the rest of the league is going to adjust to Kaepernick, but Kaepernick isn't going to get better? The reason Kaep runs in straight lines is because you don't have to juke what's behind you as he is faster than most defenders, and usually burns them to the outside before turning STRAIGHT upfield. Besides he isn't a "running" QB, he is a QB that runs as he has proven that he can win with his arm plenty. I think that you are seeing what you want to see with your "never" statements as well.

_________________
DISCLAIMER:

The trash talking that I do occasionally this week is strictly for gamesmanship between opposing fanbases as a result of our upcoming matchup this week on SNF. It by no means should be taken personally.


Last edited by NinerLifer on Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where does the Alex Smith trade leave us with Flynn?
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:59 pm 
*Scott of Smacksville*
*Scott of Smacksville*
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am
Posts: 10041
Lady Talon wrote:
Add in that this is a contract year for Kaepernick. They're going to have to pay him what the ESPN hype and a winning season will demand. Going to have a lot of problems dancing around the cap if they bring in FA's this year. If they don't win the division this year and deep run the playoffs, going to be real tough convincing their vets to pay cut to win championships again.


No, it isn't a contract year.

_________________
SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where does the Alex Smith trade leave us with Flynn?
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:19 pm 
NET Starter
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:15 am
Posts: 333
NinerLifer wrote:
sainthawk29 wrote:
Love this move for the Seahawks. I don't care what it means in terms of Flynn, because frankly I don't care where he plays next year.

What I care about is that the 49ers just traded a proven QB. That although stuggled early in his career, really came on over the last two years. For Colin Kaepernick.

But... but Kaepernick is a super bowl qb... NO HE ISN'T. Teams struggled to adjust to his style of play last year except Seattle, St. Louis and Baltimore. He is an athletic guy with get speed and a great OLine. But, he has fast ball and no second pitch. He never looks off his first read. Teams will game plan for him better next year. Think Cam Newton last year.

All the ESPN love comes from the fact that the kid has a few top 10 plays. Watch the throwing mechanics. Watch his feet under pressure. Watch his eyes, they don't move. Love that he is the future in SF, with no safety net.


So the rest of the league is going to adjust to Kaepernick, but Kaepernick isn't going to get better? The reason Kaep runs in straight lines is because you don't have the juke what's behind you as he is faster than most defenders, and usually burns them to the outside before turning STRAIGHT upfield. Besides he isn't a "running" QB, he is a QB that runs as he has proven that he can win with his arm plenty. I think that you are seeing what you want to see with your "never" statements as well.


I will put into perspective. If i had a choice between any of the "athletic" QB's ie. Newton, Kap, Wilson, and RG3. I would take Kap last, and wouldn't think twice about it.

This isn't a 49ers thing. He could play for the Chargers or Bengals I don't care. You give me a qb with his skill set. His ability to read defenses. I would not risk my team (which is a super bowl talented team) giving him the reins.

He is going to play well against bad defenes because he stretchs your defense out. But when you talk about QB's improving I look at what he can do, when things are taken away. ie St. Louis and Seattle.

As a example, if I were a Def. Coordinator facing Russel Wilson, how do I limit him? Take away the option? or rush up the middle to disrupt sight lines? He has enough strengths that he is adaptable.

Kap struggles in two fundamental areas. One, in progression, and two, he lowers his eyes to quickly. Sure those are only two issues, but historically are two that are very hard to overcome. Look at David Carr, Tim Couch, Brady Quinn. All first target throwers, like Kap.

Find me one first target thrower that developed into a great pro? I understand that none of them were as atheletic as Kap, but eventually defenses will catch up.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where does the Alex Smith trade leave us with Flynn?
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:25 pm 
* Glitter over Knives *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:13 pm
Posts: 8511
sainthawk29 wrote:
NinerLifer wrote:
sainthawk29 wrote:
Love this move for the Seahawks. I don't care what it means in terms of Flynn, because frankly I don't care where he plays next year.

What I care about is that the 49ers just traded a proven QB. That although stuggled early in his career, really came on over the last two years. For Colin Kaepernick.

But... but Kaepernick is a super bowl qb... NO HE ISN'T. Teams struggled to adjust to his style of play last year except Seattle, St. Louis and Baltimore. He is an athletic guy with get speed and a great OLine. But, he has fast ball and no second pitch. He never looks off his first read. Teams will game plan for him better next year. Think Cam Newton last year.

All the ESPN love comes from the fact that the kid has a few top 10 plays. Watch the throwing mechanics. Watch his feet under pressure. Watch his eyes, they don't move. Love that he is the future in SF, with no safety net.


So the rest of the league is going to adjust to Kaepernick, but Kaepernick isn't going to get better? The reason Kaep runs in straight lines is because you don't have the juke what's behind you as he is faster than most defenders, and usually burns them to the outside before turning STRAIGHT upfield. Besides he isn't a "running" QB, he is a QB that runs as he has proven that he can win with his arm plenty. I think that you are seeing what you want to see with your "never" statements as well.


I will put into perspective. If i had a choice between any of the "athletic" QB's ie. Newton, Kap, Wilson, and RG3. I would take Kap last, and wouldn't think twice about it.

This isn't a 49ers thing. He could play for the Chargers or Bengals I don't care. You give me a qb with his skill set. His ability to read defenses. I would not risk my team (which is a super bowl talented team) giving him the reins.

He is going to play well against bad defenes because he stretchs your defense out. But when you talk about QB's improving I look at what he can do, when things are taken away. ie St. Louis and Seattle.

As a example, if I were a Def. Coordinator facing Russel Wilson, how do I limit him? Take away the option? or rush up the middle to disrupt sight lines? He has enough strengths that he is adaptable.

Kap struggles in two fundamental areas. One, in progression, and two, he lowers his eyes to quickly. Sure those are only two issues, but historically are two that are very hard to overcome. Look at David Carr, Tim Couch, Brady Quinn. All first target throwers, like Kap.

Find me one first target thrower that developed into a great pro? I understand that none of them were as atheletic as Kap, but eventually defenses will catch up.



God, I hope you are a football genius.

_________________
"Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
"BFS is kicking ass in here." -kearly (8/9/2013)


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where does the Alex Smith trade leave us with Flynn?
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:29 pm 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:48 pm
Posts: 3179
TheRealDTM wrote:
Leaves us high and dry. No one will trade for Flynn, he'll be our backup next year and then he'll walk.

OMG!, OMG!, OMG!
If it does go dow exactly that way, who gives a sh*t?

Reed was canned by the Eagles for being a dumbass, now the Chiefs turn in the barrel.
Holy sh*t, just how stupid was it, that the Chiefs organization let themselves be duped out of a second round pick for Smith?, wouldn't you think that they would have considered a rebuilding of their Offensive line by using their first three rounds?

We probably won't see Flynn take the field next Season, so there's really not a good reason to be concerned with what JS and PC will do with our roster, as they've done pretty well so far, right?

There are some here that are blowing the Flynn situation way out of preportion, and want the Seahawks to just unload him, I just don't buy the need to start pushing any panic butons.
The 49rs haven't just been instantly upgraded, nor were we instantly downgraded.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where does the Alex Smith trade leave us with Flynn?
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:31 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:00 pm
Posts: 1363
sainthawk29 wrote:
NinerLifer wrote:
sainthawk29 wrote:
Love this move for the Seahawks. I don't care what it means in terms of Flynn, because frankly I don't care where he plays next year.

What I care about is that the 49ers just traded a proven QB. That although stuggled early in his career, really came on over the last two years. For Colin Kaepernick.

But... but Kaepernick is a super bowl qb... NO HE ISN'T. Teams struggled to adjust to his style of play last year except Seattle, St. Louis and Baltimore. He is an athletic guy with get speed and a great OLine. But, he has fast ball and no second pitch. He never looks off his first read. Teams will game plan for him better next year. Think Cam Newton last year.

All the ESPN love comes from the fact that the kid has a few top 10 plays. Watch the throwing mechanics. Watch his feet under pressure. Watch his eyes, they don't move. Love that he is the future in SF, with no safety net.


So the rest of the league is going to adjust to Kaepernick, but Kaepernick isn't going to get better? The reason Kaep runs in straight lines is because you don't have the juke what's behind you as he is faster than most defenders, and usually burns them to the outside before turning STRAIGHT upfield. Besides he isn't a "running" QB, he is a QB that runs as he has proven that he can win with his arm plenty. I think that you are seeing what you want to see with your "never" statements as well.


I will put into perspective. If i had a choice between any of the "athletic" QB's ie. Newton, Kap, Wilson, and RG3. I would take Kap last, and wouldn't think twice about it.

This isn't a 49ers thing. He could play for the Chargers or Bengals I don't care. You give me a qb with his skill set. His ability to read defenses. I would not risk my team (which is a super bowl talented team) giving him the reins.

He is going to play well against bad defenes because he stretchs your defense out. But when you talk about QB's improving I look at what he can do, when things are taken away. ie St. Louis and Seattle.

As a example, if I were a Def. Coordinator facing Russel Wilson, how do I limit him? Take away the option? or rush up the middle to disrupt sight lines? He has enough strengths that he is adaptable.

Kap struggles in two fundamental areas. One, in progression, and two, he lowers his eyes to quickly. Sure those are only two issues, but historically are two that are very hard to overcome. Look at David Carr, Tim Couch, Brady Quinn. All first target throwers, like Kap.

Find me one first target thrower that developed into a great pro? I understand that none of them were as atheletic as Kap, but eventually defenses will catch up.


If you are correct about this, then you are very smart.

_________________
Image

"We all we got, we all we need"


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where does the Alex Smith trade leave us with Flynn?
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:33 pm 
NET Starter
Offline

Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 5:46 pm
Posts: 421
Kudos to SFO. It will be interesting to see this unfold over the next few months. They have placed themselves in a very envious position and will really have to "screw the pooch" with some major mistakes for this NOT to pan out for them. Do they bring in young talent and let some of the expensive older guys walk? Do they package picks and move up for a real game-changer? They can literally do whatever they want with all the picks they have. The only thing I see slowing them down is salary CAP and some stupid mistakes which I doubt they will make. As others have mentioned we have a pretty decent amount of picks without the cap issues. We are probably under a little more pressure now but I do trust our front office to come through with a few major "tilt the field" type of players. Hopefully at least one for each side of the ball. This year will be epic and SF is the reason we push and we are the main reason they push. Cant wait to see how it all unfolds.


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]



 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Seahawks.NET is an independent fan site and not associated with the Seattle Seahawks or the NFL (National Football League).
All content within this Seahawks fan page is provided by, and for, Seattle Seahawks fans. Copyright © Seahawks.NET.