Do you think Wilson will pull a Brady?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Not just with wins and Super Bowls and all that.. but in terms of contract.

I don't know of too many QB's out in the NFL right now that would take less than market value for the benefit of the team, but I can see Russell Wilson doing just that when he's eligible for a new deal in 2015.

Thoughts?

:sarcasm_on: (Which is why we should trade him now and keep Matt Flynn*) :sarcasm_off:

* - denotes my required quota of Matt Flynn love

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
We get it. You hate Tom Brady.

(And yes, I can see Russell Wilson putting the needs of the team above his own.)

Hawks46

Reaction score
Well, I think he definately has the personality to do it. It probably depends on a few things:

If he gets a Superbowl win right away. If he sees how much of a struggle it is, and sees how he needs better personnel around him, then yeah, I can see him taking a bit of a discount to help the team out.

What the team offers him. If they come out with a fair offer and don't lowball him, I can see him getting a deal done quickly and not having his agent drag out the negotiations.

If he stays healthy. I think when a player comes down with a serious injury, it makes them realize how short a career can be. If Russell can stay healthy, maybe this doesn't hit home quite as hard with him.

On one hand, the team is loaded with talent already so we don't have a ton of holes to fill. Conversely, a lot of that talent will be up for contract extensions when he is.

hedgehawk

Reaction score
Not on his next contract but maybe the one after. Nothing would surprise me with RW though.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Wilson doesnt have a wife who's the primary bread winner in the family. I'd imagine that makes it a lot easier. And no, i dont expect Wilson to give any kind of discount, and don't believe that he should.

AnchoviesofTerror

Reaction score
JSeahawks":5ca9juf6 said:
Wilson doesnt have a wife who's the primary bread winner in the family. I'd imagine that makes it a lot easier. And no, i dont expect Wilson to give any kind of discount, and don't believe that he should.

when ur making as much as 18 million a year like brady ur not exactly hurting for money, but i agree i dont really see Wilson giving any hometown discount. at least for his first contract. hes earned every penny hes gana get.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
Depends on a few things in my opinion.

1. If Joe Flacco secures the biggest contract in football, and it affects his team for the worse. Also if Brady's bargain contract results in the Pasties getting noticeably stronger. Also how Mannings and Brees' contracts affect the Wrongcos and Saints in the near future.

2. What kind of future OC's he gets saddled with. He's going to make Bevell look good and get an HC job, will we get a good one that will take advantage of RW, or one that will be a step backwards? I'm not a Bevell fan, but there are worse OC's by far.

3. Whether the Seahawks ever take the focus off running the ball and defensive dominance, and cut RW loose to challenge elite QB stats. Huge contracts have a little to do with whether you are statistically elite. If he's merely efficient, the case can be made that the team makes him better, superbowl rings or not.

4. Whether he gets injured and how it relates to his career.

5. How well JS has handled the cap come contract time.

Don't know either way, he still has two more years to learn before the first contract comes due, so depends on what he learns in the meantime.

hawker84

Reaction score
if you deserve it, you got to get it while you can... brady's already had his big contracts , he won't be hurting for money any time soon.. wilson deserves the chance to earn that big money as well..

kidhawk

Reaction score
Brady has made some really good money over his career and took money to extend his career as he nears 40. Wilson is already WAY underpaid. I wouldn't even try to low ball him when we renegotiate after year 3. I wouldn't offer him highest paid qb money, but I'd pay him top tier quarterback money for sure with this next contract.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
if it were any other player in the world I'd say no, and I almost feel cheesy saying Yes, but I think that there is a strong chance he would.

The real question is does Russell Wilson want to win more than he wants to make disgusting amounts of cash?

I think he wants to win. He is a winner. He's made the right decisions his whole life. Maybe he wont give a huge discount but he will understand the team needs to put guys around him if he wants to win. He's intelligent and fully understands that aspect of the game. He wont make it difficult for them to resign him.

now the caveat here is - what if we win the next two superbowls (not trying to jinx us just using this as an example)? Will that give him the feeling that he's been there/done that and will now just be looking to set his family up for years to come? Maybe. Could you blame him? absolutely not.

cboom

Reaction score
Unless one of you has talked to him about his view on finances nobody has any idea what he would do.

Cartire

Reaction score
As much as I love Wilson, lets play the patience game. One of the reasons for the new CBA rules not allowing renegotiation of rookie contracts is to better know a players skill set over a couple years.

This conversation is better left till the end of 2014. Then we can start discussing his worth and what he deserves to be paid.

fridayfrenzy

Reaction score
Hawkfan509":20zkfl8v said:
Brady didnt give the team a discount. He just converted base pay to signing bonus which created cap space. He got a 30 mil bonus that the team is allowed to spread over the life of the contract. The Steelers are trying to do the same thing with the rapist

:13:

It appears, as explained last night, to be nothing more than an effort to reduce Brady’s cap number in 2013 and 2014, the final two years of his existing deal. It’s hard to spread money over the years of a contract if the contract covers only two more seasons. Come 2015, the likely reality is that a new deal will be done — after the appearance that Brady has taken less is used to squeeze other players into doing the same thing, which the Pats did masterfully last decade.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... rady-deal/

lukerguy

Reaction score
I think RW would play football for $100,000 (provided he could support his family). I've never thought so highly of any other professional athlete's character as I do Russell Wilson.

HighlandHawk

Reaction score
Well once he becomes a multiple super bowl winning champion I'll worry about it. Right now he's one season done and we're wondering if he'd take a pay cut to stay with us? Maybe he'll nosedive the next two years, maybe he'll win two super bowls? Right now, lets worry about something substantial

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Hate him or not, Brady has 3 rings, has been to 5 Superbowls, and is one of the best QB's in the history of the game. He deserves to get paid big time.

Rat

Reaction score
I hope not. I want to Russell to feel extremely well-compensated, so it never ends up being an issue for him and the team.