Where does the Alex Smith trade leave us with Flynn?

bigdaddydave

Reaction score
A second round pick for Alex Smith... Wtf!

Ugh, our division is gonna be so tough...

lukerguy

Reaction score
Makes me want to puke. Dough boy is an idiot. #andyreid

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
Leaves us high and dry. No one will trade for Flynn, he'll be our backup next year and then he'll walk.

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
I disagree. I think it gives us some leverage with the other teams that are hungry for a quarterback, especially considering the lack of quality quarterbacks available in the draft this year. I think it's very likely that we can get a fourth, maybe even a third rounder in return for Matt Flynn. Look for the Jets, Jaguars or Bills to start to contact the hawks inquiring about Matty.

Wizofwest

Reaction score
Leaves us with Jax. They have Gabbert, Henne, Jordan Palmer, some Wilson kid. Gus is there and after looking at film may want to put his trust in someone he has seen in person. We won't get Alex Smith value, but we can move up in the second this year at minimum I think and maybe a conditional pick next year. Flynn plain and simple does not have the sample size to get more, so swapping second round picks might be the best we can get. And I'm fine with that given we also gain cap space.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
Did they really manage a 2nd round pick for Smith? Holy crap what a bad deal for KC.

RobBaker7714409

Reaction score
If we can get a 3rd for him, trade him. Anything less & I hope we keep him. What will the 9ers do if Kap gets injured or turns out to be a flash in the pan?

kidhawk

Reaction score
We are all assuming here that KC just offered up a 2nd rounder. Let's say for a moment that KC lowballed the Niners to start with. Maybe a 4th or something like that. Then other teams began making offers and the Niners were able to elicit an offer from another team to give up a 2nd rounder for him. This would have put KC in the position to up the offer or walk away from the deal

If this truly did happen, then that would mean there was a team out there willing to spend a 2nd rounder on Smith, but didn't get him. That would mean they are likely still in the market. If a team likes Smith, they might as well give up a 4th or a 3rd and maybe a conditional pick for a backup like Flynn.

Honestly, both us and the Niners have a pretty good base of starters. Both teams are drafting more for the future and for depth than for the now.

As long as we keep thrashing Kaepernick like we did last season, I'm not going to worry too much about it.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
I hate to say it, but this was a big win for San Fan's front office. They just unloaded garbage for a second and probably a 4th round pick next off season. Smith has a good shot with Andy Reid's staff but I have lot's of doubt they aren't getting Cassell 2.0 here.

I think Flynn is sticking around another season, don't see any team forking over a pick for him at this point.

OP
OP
H

hazaduz

Reaction score
I think the niners basically have 3 first round picks now. i think they have a mid first round pick, a late first round pick, and now an early second. Trade Flynn to the Jags for a 4th and Cecil Shorts.

kidhawk

Reaction score
hazaduz":10d4rqza said:
I think the niners basically have 3 first round picks now. i think they have a mid first round pick, a late first round pick, and now an early second. Trade Flynn to the Jags for a 4th and Cecil Shorts.

I'm pretty sure the Niners only had one first round pick. I think the only team with an extra 1st rounder this year is St. Louis

-The Glove-

Reaction score
There's Jax, and then theres Cle...heard the new regime doesn't like Brandon Weeden.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Wow, can't help but laugh at the chiefs. . . Ad then cry because the 9ers just got the 34th pick overall for a complete hack.

I thought the chiefs were the most logical spot for Flynn. I don't think this changes his value at all, just leaves us with one less team to bargain with.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Man I cannot believe that the 49ers pulled this off. Amazing return on Smith. We better hope they suck at drafting because they have an absurd number of draft picks.

cdallan

Reaction score
Unless Andy Reid bites another team's GM, and he becomes infected with what Andy has, then I don't think that it changes things much.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
12th_Bob":kuxbl6ck said:
Did they really manage a 2nd round pick for Smith? Holy crap what a bad deal for KC.

Two of them actually.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":3eoj410p said:
Man I cannot believe that the 49ers pulled this off. Amazing return on Smith. We better hope they suck at drafting because they have an absurd number of draft picks.

I bet you at least 4 of those picks are sent to the Jets for Revis.

Sac

Reaction score
I'm actually surprised KC didn't trade for Flynn and went with Smith. Flynn would have cost them less money and draft capital. He doesn't have the history that Smith does, but Smith has a lot of sucking in his history and Flynn is a west coast QB.