Avril's contract - much flexibility

Jazzhawk

Reaction score

JesterHawk

Reaction score
Sweet, so we still have the cap space to trade for Revis or Suh? CHAMPIONSHIP!

Scottemojo

Reaction score
The Clemons 3 year deal from last year was really a 2 year deal that made Clemons likely to be cut after 2 years, and that article kind of backs that up.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":8x6vkp7w said:
So right now, the Seahawks have something like 4.75M left under the cap. That would cover the draft picks they make.

I have more details in the Salary Thread pinned at the top of the forum, but I believet his puts us between $5.1 and $5.5 million in cap space right now. Plenty of wiggle room still

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
kidhawk":12ehtv8o said:
Smelly McUgly":12ehtv8o said:
So right now, the Seahawks have something like 4.75M left under the cap. That would cover the draft picks they make.

I have more details in the Salary Thread pinned at the top of the forum, but I believet his puts us between $5.1 and $5.5 million in cap space right now. Plenty of wiggle room still

I really should have checked there. Thank you! :)

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":25w56kgw said:

After trading our first round pick for Harvin we will need less than $1.5 million in cap space to sign our draft picks. We have between $3M and $4M in cap space if all of the reports have been correct.

JKent82

Reaction score
IBleedBlueAndGreen":2bmtrdqm said:
Smelly McUgly":2bmtrdqm said:

After trading our first round pick for Harvin we will need less than $1.5 million in cap space to sign our draft picks. We have between $3M and $4M in cap space if all of the reports have been correct.

And the new picks just take the bottom spots on the roster, so most of their money is already accounted for anyways by players who won't make the squad.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Sounds like enough to bring back Branch at bare minimum. Depth at LB and DB can be addressed through the draft. Seahawks are in great position right now.

Spokane

Reaction score
Have you noticed that we don't really get bad news anymore? The FO of the hawks need a raise!

The Outfield

Reaction score
Doesn't it seem like we're going to have serious cap issues next year with these new back-loaded contracts combined with attempts at keeping guys who will become free agents next year?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
The Outfield":1755ig90 said:
Doesn't it seem like we're going to have serious cap issues next year with these new back-loaded contracts combined with attempts at keeping guys who will become free agents next year?

It says right in the article that Seattle can choose to cut either Avril or Clemons after 2013 and incur just over a $2 million hit against the cap for the cut player. Bennett's on a one year deal, so obviously that doesn't affect 2014 and beyond.

dunceface

Reaction score
Spokane":1gue7sa9 said:
Have you noticed that we don't really get bad news anymore? The FO of the hawks need a raise!

Seriously. I'm going to name my first son PC/JS...

HawkWow

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3lhhmdvq said:
The Outfield":3lhhmdvq said:

It says right in the article that Seattle can choose to cut either Avril or Clemons after 2013 and incur just over a $2 million hit against the cap for the cut player. Bennett's on a one year deal, so obviously that doesn't affect 2014 and beyond.

My only wish in all of this is that we would have signed Bennett to a longer deal. I understand the 1 year is a "prove it" type deal, but I think he will prove it and will be asking for a substantial raise 12 months from now (unless I'm missing something).

kidhawk

Reaction score
HawkWow":2m2ac33u said:
My only wish in all of this is that we would have signed Bennett to a longer deal. I understand the 1 year is a "prove it" type deal, but I think he will prove it and will be asking for a substantial raise 12 months from now (unless I'm missing something).

That sounds eerily similar to what was being said about Jones last year. I wouldn't worry too much about it until it happens. Enjoy the ride and see what it brings us