2013 - the year of flexibility

JesterHawk

Reaction score
I touched on this with a post in the JS interview thread, but it goes deeper than that.

If I could use one word to sum up the JS/PC era so far, I could choose Competition, but what really stands out to me is flexibility.

We're flexible in our contracts and we're flexible with our players.

It's hard to scheme against the Hawks when you don't know how they're even going to use certain players from game to game. Against San Fran we rarely rushed with Clemons and Irvin. They were basically just stuck to Frank Gore when he came out of the backfield. Multiple times there was an avenue to the QB, but it would have left Gore uncovered, so they didn't rush they just bottled things up, daring Kaep to run...but he had nowhere to go.

With the addition of Harvin, the offense gains a wrinkle that takes the read-option to a whole new level. Harvin can line up anywhere and I think Tate might learn a bit of that from him, I always hoped he would become more Harvinesque. Tate / Baldwin / Rice are a very scary 2-3-4 and all of our RB's are legit threats in the screen game. We've got the personnel for a good 2-TE set and we could split Harvin / Lynch behind Wilson from a 2 TE set. The swiss army knife on offense gives Bevell a lot of toys, all of which is he quite familiar with.

JS has shown a propensity to flexibly award contracts in such a way that the team is never hampered by one player and never will be. He shows amazing foresight in always leaving an out and covering any loose ends. We're able to renegotiate the majority of our guys and haven't lost anyone that they didn't have a replacement groomed for.

We have consistently nailed the drafts so far and we always seem to have an option at any position, if the guy we were targeting goes earlier than expected, JS has been able to finagle an extra late round pick to move back a few spots and take the next guy on our board, the value obtained at draft time has been amazing.

Flexibility is the key to this regime. Always having another option, always having a way out.

I hope the key pieces of this front office never leave, it's an amazing time to be a Hawks fan.

Go Hawks!

sutz

Reaction score
Failing to plan is planning to fail, as the old saying goes.

This FO seems ready for all contingencies and never really seems to get knocked off kilter by events. Proof? How about 2011, when 3/5ths of our offensive line went on IR, but some of our best line performances were in the last half of the season.

You've hit on something here. They always seem to have a workable Plan B ready for the inevitable glitches that hit every team.

Gotta love it.

:th2thumbs:

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
sutz":3onnq5jg said:
Failing to plan is planning to fail, as the old saying goes.

This FO seems ready for all contingencies and never really seems to get knocked off kilter by events. Proof? How about 2011, when 3/5ths of our offensive line went on IR, but some of our best line performances were in the last half of the season.

You've hit on something here. They always seem to have a workable Plan B ready for the inevitable glitches that hit every team.

Gotta love it.

:th2thumbs:

Agreed, plus they have plenty of draft picks right in their sweet spot for finding depth. The thing to remember is that we still have Tom Cable and Ken Norton on this staff to turn those middle round picks into blue-collar football players. Just look what they have done with Wright, Wagner, Giaco (who I just love at RT) and even Sweezy.

They truly have options this year with few real spots to fill from this draft.

Wow.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
2011: Earn everything.
2012: Bigger, faster, stronger, louder!
2013: More bendy.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
I like flexible in my women and my football teams. Yep. I said it.

gargantual

Reaction score
JesterHawk":3cm84xs0 said:
Harvin can line up anywhere and I think Tate might learn a bit of that from him, I always hoped he would become more Harvinesque.
That's a really good point! I hadn't thought of that aspect of Harvin's impact on the team. Imagine having TWO Harvins out on the field at the same time! That just another frightening aspect this offense can potentially bring to opposing Ds. Even if Tate only adds a few new wrinkles to his game, or can refine/hone those Harvinesque talents he already possesses.....yikes!

We really should try to extend him this off-season. Other teams out to emulate us are going to want their own "Harvin", and we won't have the cap space to get into a bidding war with them next year when he becomes a free agent (not that bidding wars are a thing JS will get into anyway).

QuahHawk

Reaction score
We are arguably the most versatile team in the NFL, we can play grind it out smash mouth ball, or one that can throw quick west coast passes, or take shots deep.

Our defense is built to hit and can stuff the run with an oversized DE in Red but built to speed rush when holding a lead with a 4.4 (40) Bruce Irvin. 4.5 (40) Cliff Avril, Bennett and Clem.

All this flexabiity allows us to match up with any team, some teams are built in ways where they just don't match up well with certain teams, well that's not the seahawks, we can adjust to any style. We can stop the Patriots passing and run up the scores with them, but we can also play smash mouth with the Niners and Steelers of the league.

We are a multifaceted Offense and Defense

Our roster is full of players with many different talents, qualities, or features and gives us the ability to play in multiple schemes and adapt to different situations