Seahawks Salary Cap Higher than we Thought

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
I've been corresponding with the founder of one of the salary cap sites and apparently there was another adjustment just prior to free agency from the $13.2M figure that's been widely reported. In fact, the Seahawks got another $1M or so adjusted upward so our total cap is $137.2M. I've been posting updates in the stickied thread up top but I thought this was important enough to post by itself.

Seahawks right now have about $6.5M in available space, even after rookies are signed they would have over $6M. Probably enough to sign another mid-level veteran and work out an extension with Chancellor if the parties are willing.

TheHawkster

Reaction score
Thats a little more than I was thinking.
I thought we were about 5.5 to 6 without the rookies.
Thats good news.

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":2y2n3k6n said:
Yeh this is about where I had it pegged after doing my calculations.

Yeah, I see you out there on the boat with your laptop pro rating bonuses. Just your style.

The Radish

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":1ofo36ba said:
Tech Worlds":1ofo36ba said:

Yeah, I see you out there on the boat with your laptop pro rating bonuses. Just your style.

Pegging John, he said pegging.

:les:

The Yugoslavian

Reaction score
Great news. My wish list appears realistic then. I really really really want us to;

1.) Sign Fred Davis, 1 year 1.2 mil deal
2.) Re-sign Alan Branch
3.) Sign Charles Woodson to play nickel & 3rd safety
4.) Re-sign Kam "Bam-Bam" Chancellor

We have the space to do all four and still sign the rookies. Let's make it happen!

kearly

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":2smrju6x said:
I've been corresponding with the founder of one of the salary cap sites and apparently there was another adjustment just prior to free agency from the $13.2M figure that's been widely reported. In fact, the Seahawks got another $1M or so adjusted upward so our total cap is $137.2M. I've been posting updates in the stickied thread up top but I thought this was important enough to post by itself.

Seahawks right now have about $6.5M in available space, even after rookies are signed they would have over $6M. Probably enough to sign another mid-level veteran and work out an extension with Chancellor if the parties are willing.

Thanks for making a separate topic, a lot of us (including me) wouldn't have seen it otherwise.

Am I reading you right on that second paragraph? The Seahawks usually budget $4 million for draft picks (without the late 1st it's probably $3 million now). Granted some picks won't make the 53 man roster but I'd think Seattle would add more than 500k in spending- unless the draft picks only replaced other players on 1st contracts. I'm not saying you're wrong, you might be dead on, I just thought it was an interesting estimate.

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Only the 1st 51 contracts count against the salary cap in the off-season, so most rookie deals don't fit into the top-51 and the ones that do bump another deal off the top-51. So even after we sign all our draft picks our cap space will only go down by a few hundred thousand.

So our 'rookie pool' will be $4M or so but that doesn't mean we have to reserve an extra $4M of cap space.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":16nl0p7o said:
Only the 1st 51 contracts count against the salary cap in the off-season, so most rookie deals don't fit into the top-51 and the ones that do bump another deal off the top-51. So even after we sign all our draft picks our cap space will only go down by a few hundred thousand.

So our 'rookie pool' will be $4M or so but that doesn't mean we have to reserve an extra $4M of cap space.

I will have to agree with John as this is my way understanding it as well.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":3sdtz6hd said:
For some reason I knew you were into pegging.

pinksheets

Reaction score
A London Hawk":1ez62gnu said:
And then all 53 count when the final roster cuts are done?
No, I believe the salary cap numbers are always based on your 51 highest paid players.

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
A London Hawk":1fsirtry said:
And then all 53 count when the final roster cuts are done?

Correct. All 53 plus any injured players and the practice squad.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
The Yugoslavian":2l2rvc4p said:
Great news. My wish list appears realistic then. I really really really want us to;

1.) Sign Fred Davis, 1 year 1.2 mil deal
2.) Re-sign Alan Branch
3.) Sign Charles Woodson to play nickel & 3rd safety
4.) Re-sign Kam "Bam-Bam" Chancellor

We have the space to do all four and still sign the rookies. Let's make it happen!

Close to my opinion

1. Re-sign Alan Branch
2. Re-sign Kam Chancellor
3. Sign FA CB or DT (Woodson or Seymore)

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":1vud3tgo said:
Yeah, when I threw my dart that's where it landed too.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":6hqvhzll said:
Hawkstorian":6hqvhzll said:

I will have to agree with John as this is my way understanding it as well.

Bwaahaha! Stop already :les: