Real News -- we signed a WR

kidhawk

Reaction score
Another Packers cut that Schneider thinks might work out. Sounds like another camp body with potential.

BBlades89

Reaction score
The only thing I remember about Swain from his GB days is that he was pretty good at kick coverage.

A

Anonymous

Swain is another Obomanu. A situational "spell" receiver that is a special teamer that has the ability to show up in formation and not be necessarily feared or paid much attention to until he gets the first and trots back off the field. He's not a guy the defense will prepare for as there will purposely be no real amount of tape on him.

Largent80

Reaction score
There is No rock safe from Schneider......he is a Rockasaurus and he WILL snatch the pebble.

two dog

Reaction score
I remember him as justasorta guy, but you never know.

If he does have good special team skills, those guys are
important. See Farwell, Heath.

HagFaithful

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":28zqqswl said:
Swain is another Obomanu. A situational "spell" receiver that is a special teamer that has the ability to show up in formation and not be necessarily feared or paid much attention to until he gets the first and trots back off the field. He's not a guy the defense will prepare for as there will purposely be no real amount of tape on him.

You should consider apologizing to Obomanu.

"Obomanu has 87 career catches for 1,209 yards and seven TDs, all with Seattle, which drafted him in Round Seven in 2006."
Swain has 8 catches for 87 yards in his NFL career (2008). He's a ST player at best, camp fodder at worst.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
HagFaithful":219iqwhw said:
You should consider apologizing to Obomanu.

"Obomanu has 87 career catches for 1,209 yards and seven TDs, all with Seattle, which drafted him in Round Seven in 2006."
Swain has 8 catches for 87 yards in his NFL career (2008). He's a ST player at best, camp fodder at worst.

Scanning my brain for memories of a Ben Obomanu TD...

Yeah I got nothing.

HagFaithful

Reaction score
2010 was his best year. Injuries to Deion Butler and Mike Williams meant some starts and significant targets for Obomanu. I remember a long one (TD) against the Cardinals at home.

Obomanu was a legitimate project - at one point. Swain wasn't in the league last year and was cut by GB and SF prior to that. I DO love the story. An open tryout for backup QBs results in signing the fluffer WR. Just love the message that sends - always looking for talent and competition. They must have saw something...

mikeak

Reaction score
OR the four qb's trying out are ALL so special they make Swain look like a pro bowler.

I think we have a qb controversy brewing..... :stirthepot:

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Josh Portis could very well be the next David Green. Wouldn't that knock all our socks off! Championship!

JonRud

Reaction score
Sounds like a wrestler from the 1980's.

A

Anonymous

I will concede Obo may not be the perfect comparative for my point. So there.

The game is midway through the fourth quarter, and we are having a tough time getting guys open against a secondary that is well-prepared. Marshawn is averaging 1.8 per carry against a front seven who are playing inspired ball. On a 2nd and 8, at our own 36, in trots Swain who lines up on the far left in a 4-wide formation. Pic play with Rice sheds Swain's coverage as the safety and the DB play Rice. The rush doesnt allow Russ position to throw the out so Swain turns it upfield and runs under a toss from Russ at the 50 and gets run out of bounds for a 28-yard gain. First down in enemy territory as Swain stealthfully trots back to the sidelines while the D says "who the hell was that?"