20th Ranked Offensive Line

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
20th Ranked Offensive Line
Wed May 15, 2013 9:47 pm

Re: 20th Ranked Offensive Line
Wed May 15, 2013 10:22 pm
  • Can't argue with that. I'm having trouble remembering the last year we had decent O-line continuity.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Wed May 15, 2013 10:37 pm
  • If you factor the numbers, ranking the SEAHAWKS at 20th is waaay too low!! Even factoring the intangibles like: zone blocking schemes, each players qb abilities to scramble v.s. pocket passing, and stud running backs...still makes the HAWKS far much better than teams like the Niners (ranked at #2). Just using sack totals by themselves (Sea-33/S.F-30) makes me believe that Tom Cable knows what he is doing.
    LOVE, LOYALTY, RESPECT & HONOR
    GLOCKHAWK
    NET Rookie

Wed May 15, 2013 11:07 pm
  • This line isn't star studded, but it's good enough? Okung pro bowl and Unger all pro.
    Cfuji
    NET Bench Warmer

Wed May 15, 2013 11:09 pm
  • Who really cares how we are ranked? I'd like to see us ranked lower.

Hey other teams, our O-line sucks! You don't have to worry about us much, we're just going to fall all over ourselves.
    49ers webzone: Win or lose, i hope you injure Sherman. Like a serious career ending injury. I don't want him to get paid.
    49ers webzone: noise should not be the overwhelming reason a team is favored. they need to spray noise-damping foam onto the ceiling of that place.
    BlueTalon
    * NET Curmudgeon *
    * NET Curmudgeon *

Wed May 15, 2013 11:19 pm
  • GLOCKHAWK wrote:If you factor the numbers, ranking the SEAHAWKS at 20th is waaay too low!! Even factoring the intangibles like: zone blocking schemes, each players qb abilities to scramble v.s. pocket passing, and stud running backs...still makes the HAWKS far much better than teams like the Niners (ranked at #2). Just using sack totals by themselves (Sea-33/S.F-30) makes me believe that Tom Cable knows what he is doing.

You think our line is "much better" than the Niners?
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran

Wed May 15, 2013 11:49 pm
  • therealjohncarlson wrote:
    GLOCKHAWK wrote:If you factor the numbers, ranking the SEAHAWKS at 20th is waaay too low!! Even factoring the intangibles like: zone blocking schemes, each players qb abilities to scramble v.s. pocket passing, and stud running backs...still makes the HAWKS far much better than teams like the Niners (ranked at #2). Just using sack totals by themselves (Sea-33/S.F-30) makes me believe that Tom Cable knows what he is doing.

No... I think he was merely suggesting that the many people believe the Niners have the best O-line in the NFL.

However, the Seahawks have similar statistics... in terms of Efficiency of Running the Ball and Protecting the QB.

S.F. has the better line but once Seattle figures out the RG spot... you're going to see a different result as far as pass protection goes.
    If I seem too passionate, it’s because I care. And if I come on too strong, it’s because I feel strongly. And if I push too hard, it’s because things aren’t moving fast enough. This is my home, you are my family, and I promise you, I’m not going anywhere.” - L.K.
    Pandion Haliaetus
    NET Veteran

Thu May 16, 2013 8:59 am
  • Our offensive line wasn't bad last year, but Wilson bailed them out of a lot of sacks with a lot of houdinis. I'm really hoping their's a lot of improvement on our line with some continuity being maintained and some young guys developing more... Sweezy being the most considered player in that equation.
    firebee
    NET Veteran

Thu May 16, 2013 9:05 am
  • Our offensive line wasn't that great; but IMO an Oline gets better by playing together consistently so they should keep improving, especially in a ZBS where you have to rely a lot on trusting a guy to make the right choices.
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

Thu May 16, 2013 9:19 am
  • 2005-2006

GO HAWKS!!!

RolandDeschain wrote:Can't argue with that. I'm having trouble remembering the last year we had decent O-line continuity.
    For those that choose to attend the temple "QWEST" bring your best and be LOUD.

The opposition has no hope!!
    12HawkFan
    NET Starter

Thu May 16, 2013 9:20 am
  • I think if Carp can play the entire season and be effective, our OL will jump up in the standings. That will leave only RG as a position of question. McQ, Moffit, or Sweezy hopefully takes the position from the other 2. I am good with Breno at RT. He is solid in the run game and has the mean streak we all want and acknowledge as being an important trait. Granted, he is pedestrian in pass pro but with DangeRuss as our QB that has less of a factor.

Go Hawks.
    LudwigsDrummer
    US Navy Air VP 56 `74-`78

Thu May 16, 2013 9:33 am
  • That ranking is for the entire season and we were much better toward the end of the year than the beginning so 20 is not all bad. Wilson also improved at staying in thw pocket as the year went on and improved on how long he held the ball, both factors that impact the performance of the O-line.

This season brings more experience on the line as well as the QB. It also brings more continuity and Twp guys in Moffit and Carpenter that both spent the off season training and getting healthier than they have been since entering the league.

I think top ten is a realistic expectation and top 5 a real possibility this upcoming season.
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran

Thu May 16, 2013 10:06 am
  • Seems about right. They can look pretty stellar at times, or like garbage as they did in the Miami game and the second St Louis game. Hopefully another year together will cause some major improvements this year
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran

Thu May 16, 2013 11:13 am
  • firebee wrote:Our offensive line wasn't bad last year, but Wilson bailed them out of a lot of sacks with a lot of houdinis. I'm really hoping their's a lot of improvement on our line with some continuity being maintained and some young guys developing more... Sweezy being the most considered player in that equation.

The same can be pretty much said about Kaepernick and the 9rs then, wouldn't it?
    With a 3 sack differential, it would stand to reason that Kaepernick (by the numbers), bailed the 9rs star studded O-line out by running away from would be sacks, and if that is the case, then there is a flaw in the ranking of 2nd place to 20th.
    Not that I give a crap about their reasoning to coming to their faulty conclusions.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

Thu May 16, 2013 11:21 am
  • Missing_Clink wrote:Seems about right. They can look pretty stellar at times, or like garbage as they did in the Miami game and the second St Louis game. Hopefully another year together will cause some major improvements this year

The second Rams game was tougher on the O-line, because the Rams dialed up a different Defensive attack, but even then, it should be noted that our O-line answered the challenge with an ass kicking win.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

Thu May 16, 2013 11:39 am
  • The offensive line was strange last year. It had some terrific games, and some downright awful games.

Still, I think they were the #4 ranked rushing offense. They're young. If the injury bug can let them alone for once they could be in the top third of that list.
    “We need to be challenged, ... and we need to be under the gun to respond.” --Pete Carroll
    nanomoz
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Thu May 16, 2013 11:47 am
  • therealjohncarlson wrote:
    GLOCKHAWK wrote:If you factor the numbers, ranking the SEAHAWKS at 20th is waaay too low!! Even factoring the intangibles like: zone blocking schemes, each players qb abilities to scramble v.s. pocket passing, and stud running backs...still makes the HAWKS far much better than teams like the Niners (ranked at #2). Just using sack totals by themselves (Sea-33/S.F-30) makes me believe that Tom Cable knows what he is doing.

What a dreamer.

:roll:
    No last minute heroics will be needed this time.
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

Thu May 16, 2013 12:14 pm
  • First, 20th is way too low by the numbers they are using.

Second, boy it's interesting how much football outsiders and PFF disagree on our line:

Run blocking: 15th (PFF), 3rd (FO)
    Pass protection: 13th (PFF), 20th (FO)

PFF thinks we have an average run blocking group, and thinks our pass protection is better than our run blocking(!). That's interesting, but based on what I remember it feels wildly at odds with reality.

Football outsiders nails it. Elite run blocking with mediocre pass protection.

That said, you add up those numbers and Seattle should be fringe top 10, maybe mid-teens if you weigh pass protection more heavily. Seattle's line actually scored a tiny bit better than SF's did on FO, though I'm not sure why FO has the 49ers pass pro so low. In head to head matchups last year Seattle outrushed the 49ers by about 40 yards and both teams allowed the same number of sacks.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Thu May 16, 2013 12:56 pm
  • Rankings don't matter as much to me, but I agree with the premise of the article that this line has nowhere to go but up.

- Breno turned in a much improved 2nd half of the season. I expect him to continue that.
    - Carp and Moffitt are headling into their 3rd year of the same system. Health is the main thing holding them back at this point. If only one of the two stays healthy and continues to progress that all but guarantees a better line.
    - Sweezy has all the physical tools but lacks experience and technique. Again, nowhere but up.
    - A smarter, improved Wilson alone should improve this o line at least statistically.
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!
    Recon_Hawk
    NET Veteran

Thu May 16, 2013 1:20 pm
  • Our O-Line had some head scratching moments as well as some WOW moments.

I do NOT see them regressing, but rather improving.

My largest hope is for Carpenter to be healthy and stay that way. If so, that takes care of the left side from center...out.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu May 16, 2013 2:42 pm
  • Stats can be twisted and manipulated in so many ways, that as many times as not, they are virtually worthless (for anything more than discussion).

Case in point: Football outsiders calling our line "elite" in terms of run blocking. I think that is a tad bit generous. I could be wrong, but based on the eye test, ML was constantly met at the line and seldom (as I recall) got to the 2nd level without serious contact prior. Both of our featured backs had respectable, if not excellent, YPC but I give more credit to those backs than the line itself. An "elite" line should provide the ability to almost plug and play. IMO, lesser backs would have struggled behind 2013's Seahawk line.

Like the Dawgs, it is my greatest area of concern. But even so, I will lose no sleep over the Hawks. We should be fine. It's the Huskies that keep me awake at night.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

Fri May 17, 2013 4:30 pm
  • I think we can all agree that if our best players plays and the line stays consistent game to game, we easily have a top 12 O-line in the NFL.

What I don't get is how the Colts ranked ahead of us... Luck took plenty of sacks, and the amount of pressure he faced produced half his interceptions. No way in hell their rushing offense was better than ours.

So yeah PFF doesn't know what the hell they are talking about at times. Also, considering the Seahawks play 6 times versus some of the best defenses in the NFL. It shows well how much their offense line performed despite that they were a little lacking in cohesiveness and RG was weak, jekyl and hide.
    If I seem too passionate, it’s because I care. And if I come on too strong, it’s because I feel strongly. And if I push too hard, it’s because things aren’t moving fast enough. This is my home, you are my family, and I promise you, I’m not going anywhere.” - L.K.
    Pandion Haliaetus
    NET Veteran

Fri May 17, 2013 6:33 pm
  • GLOCKHAWK wrote:If you factor the numbers, ranking the SEAHAWKS at 20th is waaay too low!! Even factoring the intangibles like: zone blocking schemes, each players qb abilities to scramble v.s. pocket passing, and stud running backs...still makes the HAWKS far much better than teams like the Niners (ranked at #2). Just using sack totals by themselves (Sea-33/S.F-30) makes me believe that Tom Cable knows what he is doing.

Crazy talk.

We may be about the same in pass protection, but the 49ers line absolutely destroys ours in the run game. Gore has holes a mile wide.
    TJH
    *NET #1 Sherman Fan*

Sun May 19, 2013 5:12 am
  • Carpenter healthy all year long? I'm giddy just thinking about it. He's not just a 'road grader' as he has nimble footwork and is super quick for a big fella. What an undefendable load he'll be.
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

Sun May 19, 2013 7:46 am
  • HawKnPeppa wrote:Carpenter healthy all year long? I'm giddy just thinking about it. He's not just a 'road grader' as he has nimble footwork and is super quick for a big fella. What an undefendable load he'll be.

Agreed, Carpenter is one of the more intriguing stories on the team this year. While he has had conditioning and injury issues since arriving when he has been able to play healthy he has shown some serious flash. This off season he has remained in Seattle and worked with the strength and conditioning coach's. Schneider said he believes Carp might be the strongest man on the team right now and if he is better conditioned he will have a better chance of remaining injury free.

What we haven't seen from Carpenter is real cohesion with the rest of the line and what he could do if healthy, cohesive and a full knowledge of the play book and execution. I am very excited to see how not only he performs but how he effects to performance of the entire line and running game.

Okung said he believes McQuiston is extremely under rated and Moffitt (like Carp) remained all off season as well and looks to be in excellent shape. If both Moffitt and Carp can remain healthy and productive, McQuiston who already has chemistry on the line will be one of the best back ups in the league. If all goes well on the line this year, I believe we could end the season with a top 5 O-line.

Carpenter might be one of those that has the ability to tilt the field. I am extremely excited for his contribution this coming season.
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:03 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information