20th Ranked Offensive Line

GLOCKHAWK

Reaction score
If you factor the numbers, ranking the SEAHAWKS at 20th is waaay too low!! Even factoring the intangibles like: zone blocking schemes, each players qb abilities to scramble v.s. pocket passing, and stud running backs...still makes the HAWKS far much better than teams like the Niners (ranked at #2). Just using sack totals by themselves (Sea-33/S.F-30) makes me believe that Tom Cable knows what he is doing.

OP
OP
Cfuji

Cfuji

Reaction score
This line isn't star studded, but it's good enough? Okung pro bowl and Unger all pro.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Who really cares how we are ranked? I'd like to see us ranked lower.

Hey other teams, our O-line sucks! You don't have to worry about us much, we're just going to fall all over ourselves.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
GLOCKHAWK":8fkq8gyx said:
If you factor the numbers, ranking the SEAHAWKS at 20th is waaay too low!! Even factoring the intangibles like: zone blocking schemes, each players qb abilities to scramble v.s. pocket passing, and stud running backs...still makes the HAWKS far much better than teams like the Niners (ranked at #2). Just using sack totals by themselves (Sea-33/S.F-30) makes me believe that Tom Cable knows what he is doing.

You think our line is "much better" than the Niners?

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":3axait21 said:
GLOCKHAWK":3axait21 said:

No... I think he was merely suggesting that the many people believe the Niners have the best O-line in the NFL.

However, the Seahawks have similar statistics... in terms of Efficiency of Running the Ball and Protecting the QB.

S.F. has the better line but once Seattle figures out the RG spot... you're going to see a different result as far as pass protection goes.

firebee

Reaction score
Our offensive line wasn't bad last year, but Wilson bailed them out of a lot of sacks with a lot of houdinis. I'm really hoping their's a lot of improvement on our line with some continuity being maintained and some young guys developing more... Sweezy being the most considered player in that equation.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Our offensive line wasn't that great; but IMO an Oline gets better by playing together consistently so they should keep improving, especially in a ZBS where you have to rely a lot on trusting a guy to make the right choices.

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
I think if Carp can play the entire season and be effective, our OL will jump up in the standings. That will leave only RG as a position of question. McQ, Moffit, or Sweezy hopefully takes the position from the other 2. I am good with Breno at RT. He is solid in the run game and has the mean streak we all want and acknowledge as being an important trait. Granted, he is pedestrian in pass pro but with DangeRuss as our QB that has less of a factor.

Go Hawks.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
That ranking is for the entire season and we were much better toward the end of the year than the beginning so 20 is not all bad. Wilson also improved at staying in thw pocket as the year went on and improved on how long he held the ball, both factors that impact the performance of the O-line.

This season brings more experience on the line as well as the QB. It also brings more continuity and Twp guys in Moffit and Carpenter that both spent the off season training and getting healthier than they have been since entering the league.

I think top ten is a realistic expectation and top 5 a real possibility this upcoming season.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Seems about right. They can look pretty stellar at times, or like garbage as they did in the Miami game and the second St Louis game. Hopefully another year together will cause some major improvements this year

scutterhawk

Reaction score
firebee":1i89snsn said:
Our offensive line wasn't bad last year, but Wilson bailed them out of a lot of sacks with a lot of houdinis. I'm really hoping their's a lot of improvement on our line with some continuity being maintained and some young guys developing more... Sweezy being the most considered player in that equation.
The same can be pretty much said about Kaepernick and the 9rs then, wouldn't it?
With a 3 sack differential, it would stand to reason that Kaepernick (by the numbers), bailed the 9rs star studded O-line out by running away from would be sacks, and if that is the case, then there is a flaw in the ranking of 2nd place to 20th.
Not that I give a crap about their reasoning to coming to their faulty conclusions.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":1oi5cixo said:
Seems about right. They can look pretty stellar at times, or like garbage as they did in the Miami game and the second St Louis game. Hopefully another year together will cause some major improvements this year
The second Rams game was tougher on the O-line, because the Rams dialed up a different Defensive attack, but even then, it should be noted that our O-line answered the challenge with an ass kicking win.

nanomoz

Reaction score
The offensive line was strange last year. It had some terrific games, and some downright awful games.

Still, I think they were the #4 ranked rushing offense. They're young. If the injury bug can let them alone for once they could be in the top third of that list.

The Radish

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":3o2hjsrp said:
GLOCKHAWK":3o2hjsrp said:

What a dreamer.

:roll:

kearly

Reaction score
First, 20th is way too low by the numbers they are using.

Second, boy it's interesting how much football outsiders and PFF disagree on our line:

Run blocking: 15th (PFF), 3rd (FO)
Pass protection: 13th (PFF), 20th (FO)

PFF thinks we have an average run blocking group, and thinks our pass protection is better than our run blocking(!). That's interesting, but based on what I remember it feels wildly at odds with reality.

Football outsiders nails it. Elite run blocking with mediocre pass protection.

That said, you add up those numbers and Seattle should be fringe top 10, maybe mid-teens if you weigh pass protection more heavily. Seattle's line actually scored a tiny bit better than SF's did on FO, though I'm not sure why FO has the 49ers pass pro so low. In head to head matchups last year Seattle outrushed the 49ers by about 40 yards and both teams allowed the same number of sacks.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Rankings don't matter as much to me, but I agree with the premise of the article that this line has nowhere to go but up.

- Breno turned in a much improved 2nd half of the season. I expect him to continue that.
- Carp and Moffitt are headling into their 3rd year of the same system. Health is the main thing holding them back at this point. If only one of the two stays healthy and continues to progress that all but guarantees a better line.
- Sweezy has all the physical tools but lacks experience and technique. Again, nowhere but up.
- A smarter, improved Wilson alone should improve this o line at least statistically.

Largent80

Reaction score
Our O-Line had some head scratching moments as well as some WOW moments.

I do NOT see them regressing, but rather improving.

My largest hope is for Carpenter to be healthy and stay that way. If so, that takes care of the left side from center...out.

Latest posts